Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Semedo

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we sell Semedo this summer, I’d expect somewhere about £12-£15m.

As for who replaces him, there’s options. Walker-Peters probably the pick.

Failing that Matt Doherty is leaving Atletico Madrid!
He's contracted to us for another two seasons, so we'd be looking to recoup over £20m surely. I'd like to see how Hoever does as his replacement in pre season but if Jonny leaves we'll likely need another RB as Lembikisa best served by going on loan.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be happy to sell Semedo especially if we got £20m+.

He just has not contributed enough, it is as simple as that. I could probably count on one hand how many goals/assists he has been part of. Id need Sandwell Town hands to be able to recount the amount of **** ups he has made.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s an old article so, without reading it, I assume this was with a view to a free transfer before we took the option up?

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I think there’s a real player there, in Walker-Peters. In the right side, I could really see him flourish.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Should ask to swap RAN for Kyle Walker.
33 and one year left on his contract.
City won’t give him a new one.
We offer 3 years and he becomes new Moutinho insofar as the experience he offers.
Then sell Semedo.
Pace at the back and five in attack!

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s been ‘bubbling’ for two months…just wish the ****ing thing would boil over. I’d snap their hands off for £20m.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there’s a real player there, in Walker-Peters. In the right side, I could really see him flourish.

I agree. Just a shame we've seen so little of it in three years now. And no sign of it arriving any day soon.

Very frustrating player, because he does occasionally have those bursts where he gets past a player, but then it all just stops. Think it might be psychological with him, rarely looks confident.

<EDIT> My bad - I thought you meant there was a real player in Semedo!!! :D More like an unreal player.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

How great to re-unite the Champs winning side - get Jota back, Coady is coming back, where are Ruddy, Saiss, Cav and Costa right now??!!!

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please, please, please let this be true. I know it's a long way but I will only be 10 minutes to get the Qashqai fueled up the moment I get the call.

I have been questioning my pathological dislike of Semedo recently. So I was looking for any statistical evidence to refrue my perception of him being a useless liability. From my research he is 8th on the list of most dispossessed defenders in the Premier league (most of the others were from relegated teams), and in terms of assists he was 31st equal (with 1 assist in a whole season).

Of course I couldn't find statistics for out of position or useless sack of ****, but I am fairly sure he would be near the top of the list.

I have said it before, but I wouldn't pay him in washers.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please, please, please let this be true. I know it's a long way but I will only be 10 minutes to get the Qashqai fueled up the moment I get the call.

I have been questioning my pathological dislike of Semedo recently. So I was looking for any statistical evidence to refrue my perception of him being a useless liability. From my research he is 8th on the list of most dispossessed defenders in the Premier league (most of the others were from relegated teams), and in terms of assists he was 31st equal (with 1 assist in a whole season).

Of course I couldn't find statistics for out of position or useless sack of ****, but I am fairly sure he would be near the top of the list.

I have said it before, but I wouldn't pay him in washers.

I was going to offer to drive him as well, despite the cost.

Would be delighted if he never pulled on a wolves shirt ever again. A complete nonentity of a player.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite simply his signing has been a poor one.

Sure, I was excited as anyone that Wolves were signing a Barca regular starter - unbelievable scenes!

But he has not lived up to the hype, nor his price tag, and, more significantly we lost Doherty’s goals in the same summer meaning his performances have been subject to even more scrutiny.

His first half performance against BHA at home last season has to be up there with the worst of any Wolves player since we were promoted in 2018.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been 'excellent since Lopetegui arrived' according to some....I do wonder what games people are watching sometimes
Positionally as off it as an international full back could be . TAA defender without the passing or dead ball ability . Doherty is not a right back either though . If we are going backwards then we are asking for trouble

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been 'excellent since Lopetegui arrived' according to some....I do wonder what games people are watching sometimes
Lopetegui has changed how he uses Semedo, played him more as a wing back or real winger at times as Toti at LB was more central. So Semedo was playing more as a Trippier style, and in fairness he's looked better and we've picked up a lot more points, but not as effective as he could/should be.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Positionally as off it as an international full back could be . TAA defender without the passing or dead ball ability . Doherty is not a right back either though . If we are going backwards then we are asking for trouble

I’d rather 7/10 Doherty than Semedo for 12 months though. Especially if the rumoured switch to a 5 is true.

Doherty isn’t the future, but would tide us over so we can invest elsewhere.

That said, I don’t actually believe we’d go back in for Doherty.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d rather 7/10 Doherty than Semedo for 12 months though. Especially if the rumoured switch to a 5 is true. Doherty isn’t the future, but would tide us over so we can invest elsewhere. That said, I don’t actually believe we’d go back in for Doherty.
Interesting rumour, and would make sense if JL is resigned just to keep us defensively solid in the absence of funds to propel us further up the table. If we do revert to wingbacks, I'd take Doc back on a Bosman in a heartbeat, and TBH, I'd swallow my pride and reconsider Coady as well. Proven track record in their respective positions, and the at the ages of 30 and 31, are far from over the hill.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s funny how opinions get skewed to prove a point.

Whilst Semedo is not the best full back in the world he’s getting made out to be some League one level defender. Does he make mistakes? Yes he does but so does every other defender. Every mistake he makes he gets pulled apart for but some have amnesia as it seems Doc never did (he got caught under a ball or out of position way more than Nelson does) or the current blue eyed boy Kilman who has plenty of mistakes in him.

Nelson is seen the same as Collins for me, unfairly chucked under the bus and every mistake analysed while others happily crack on and do no wrong

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He has been 'better' since Lopetegui arrived. Not hiding as much. Think he's always had potential to be a decent player but has serious confidence problems that seem beyond fixing. He is recognisably that player who played in the game where Barca conceded 8. We saw it again in the Brighton and Arsenal games. Can be OK for a while, then visibly crumbles.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know I come over as a pathological hater of Semedo. It's nothing personal, I am sure he is a lovely lad. But he is a ****-poor premier league footballer - notice the "premier league" bit of that sentence.

All I want is for our right back to be as good as our left backs.

Just compare Semedo to RAN or Toti - I am not saying either RAN or Toti is outstanding, but they are when you compare him to Semedo.
  • RAN Expected Goals 1.34, Semedo 0.57
  • Shots - 6 from Semedo, 10 from RAN from about half the minutes played (50% on target, 0% from Semedo)
  • Successful tackles, RAN 87%, Semedo 71% (Toti has 77%)
  • RAN has played about half the minutes as Semedo and made 14 fouls - Semedo made 43 fouls (think of the times he has put the team under pressure)
  • Semedo has a worse tackle success rate than any of our defenders (with the exception of Jonny)
  • Out of 300 premier league players, Semedo is 25th for the most fouls per game
  • He ranks 221st for key passes - so basically useless in an attacking sense
  • Semedo ranks 15th out of every premier league player for being dispossessed (yet more pressure on his fellow defenders)
Just about every measure I can find he performs worse than his peers or our other defenders.

Sorry, I am just not a fan. These statistics are probably a bit selective, and you can make any point you want with numbers, but I have been watching football for 50 years and I watch him closely (I might be getting a bit obsessive now!), but he has put the rest of the defense under pressure time and time again.

Giving away stupid fouls, getting caught out of position, and a complete failure to make any significant goal contribution, honestly, he is stealing a living if you ask me.

Last edited:

Wanderer Til I Die

Reaction score
I'd expect to get around £20m for him, no way will we get back what we paid for him.

As for who to replace him, I'd be looking at Max Aarons from Norwich and James Justin from Leicester. Both English, so would count as homegrown and could probably get them for a reasonable price because they are in the Championship.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know I come over as a pathological hater of Semedo. It's nothing personal, I am sure he is a lovely lad. But he is a ****-poor premier league footballer - notice the "premier league" bit of that sentence.

All I want is for our right back to be as good as our left backs.

Just compare Semedo to RAN or Toti - I am not saying either RAN or Toti is outstanding, but they are when you compare him to Semedo.
  • RAN Expected Goals 1.34, Semedo 0.57
  • Shots - 6 from Semedo, 10 from RAN from about half the minutes played (50% on target, 0% from Semedo)
  • Successful tackles, RAN 87%, Semedo 71% (Toti has 77%)
  • RAN has played about half the minutes as Semedo and made 14 fouls - Semedo made 43 fouls (think of the times he has put the team under pressure)
  • Semedo has a worse tackle success rate than any of our defenders (with the exception of Jonny)
  • Out of 300 premier league players, Semedo is 25th for the most fouls per game
  • He ranks 221th for key passes - so basically useless in an attacking sense
  • Semedo ranks 15th out of every premier league player for being dispossessed (yet more pressure on his fellow defenders)
Just about every measure I can find he performs worse than his peers or our other defenders.

Sorry, I am just not a fan. These statistics are probably a bit selective, and you can make any point you want with numbers, but I have been watching football for 50 years and I watch him closely (I might be getting a bit obsessive now!), but he has put the rest of the defense under pressure time and time again.

Giving away stupid fouls, getting caught out of position, and a complete failure to make any significant goal contribution, honestly, he is stealing a living if you ask me.
Maybe he just isn't cut out to be a wing back? It's hard on them, being expected to offer that extra dimension in attack whilst providing quality crosses and contributing to the goals scored count. In the old days there were wingers for that sort of thing.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After a striker, right back has to be a top priority. He offers nothing going forward, and there's a mistake in him almost every game.

If we continue with Toti at left back, we need a Trippier-lite at right back to balance it out. (Please don't suggest Doc in a back four)

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nelson is seen the same as Collins for me, unfairly chucked under the bus and every mistake analysed while others happily crack on and do no wrong
To some extent I agree but the main problem for me is that he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. He's an experienced pro who has played at the top level for some time. He shouldn't be making the same mistakes as often as he does. I also appreciate that the system we employ sometimes sets him up for failure.... perhaps more men in the box would give him more options when he gets down the flank?

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be happy to sell Semedo especially if we got £20m+.

He just has not contributed enough, it is as simple as that. I could probably count on one hand how many goals/assists he has been part of. Id need Sandwell Town hands to be able to recount the amount of **** ups he has made.

I'd need to be an Albion fan to have enough fingers and toes to count out the number of times Semedo has been the weakest link on goals we have conceded this last season!

Attacking wise he is just too cautious and turns back 9 times out of 10.
Defensive wise he just gives the opposition almost complete freedom on their left flank.

He's not completely useless. He does have decent close control but he doesnt use the talent he does have very well and he needs better coaching to get the best out of him. To be honest a player at the level he has been playing at shouldnt need coaching in basics though.

Last edited:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd expect to get around £20m for him, no way will we get back what we paid for him.

As for who to replace him, I'd be looking at Max Aarons from Norwich and James Justin from Leicester. Both English, so would count as homegrown and could probably get them for a reasonable price because they are in the Championship.
Aarons definitely worth a punt. Justin probably on the radar of clubs higher up the pecking order given his reputation.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe he just isn't cut out to be a wing back? It's hard on them, being expected to offer that extra dimension in attack whilst providing quality crosses and contributing to the goals scored count. In the old days there were wingers for that sort of thing.
Or he isn’t cut out for the premier league.

It is the most demanding league physically and mentally in the world.

No shame in it, but he just isn’t a premier league quality player. He wasn’t even very good at Barcelona in truth.

No doubt leaves the prem for a weaker league and looks much better than here.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd need to be an Albion fan to have enough fingers and toes to count out the number of times Semedo has been the weakest link on goals we have conceded this last season!

Attacking wise he is just too cautious and turns back 9 times out of 10.
Defensive wise he just gives the opposition almost complete freedom on their left flank.

He's not completely useless. He does have decent close control but he doesnt use the talent he does have very well and he needs better coaching to get the best out of him. To be honest a player at the level he has been playing at shouldnt need coaching in basics though.
Do you mean nine or eleven?

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are hardly blessed with cover in the right back position are we!!
Semedo is by far our best option

Back
Top Bottom