Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Semedo situation

Extend or sell?

• Sell

Votes: 27 10.5%
  • Extend contract

Votes: 229 88.8%
  • He will run his contract down and leave for free

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Doesn’t matter we have Doherty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When he first arrived, he was generally poor both defensively and from an attacking perspective and was called out for it. No 'agenda' and no 'scapegoating'. His form was patchy up until last season, when he seemed to click and become more consistent. Defensively, he is much better and not so prone to the errors that bedeviled him earlier on, such as giving away penalties and falling asleep at the back post. Going forwards, he's still not 'prime Doc', but he certainly gets us up the field with speed.
Much more consistent, as I said in the Verdict Thread and as such, I'd be trying to extend his contract and keep.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sell for me, operating model means the club needs to buy low and sell high and summer is likely to be top of the market for him
Unfortunately, we didn't buy 'low' on Semedo. £28m plus £9m add ons, for a full back was expensive and with a depreciating market, we might struggle to make money on him. I'd keep him.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we didn't buy 'low' on Semedo. £28m plus £9m add ons, for a full back was expensive and with a depreciating market, we might struggle to make money on him. I'd keep him.
True but in truth we'd be looking at the profit on his depreciated value (i.e. what figure FSP considers) not his initial acquisition cost. Personally l'd much rather keep him but.....

bigwolf

Reaction score
I don't get this love in for semedo.

He played well yesterday against a team that an under 5's would probably beat but in the main he has been average at best for most of the season.

He defending is average at best and his attacking threat is non existent.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He played well yesterday against a team that an under 5's would probably beat but in the main he has been average at best for most of the season.

Methinks that you have been watching a different team to me.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
I've gone for keeping Nelson but we didn't turnover that first Nuno team steadily enough and I ended up thinking we'd get relegated because of it.

What the club has got now is some nous about building a new team, which should serve us well.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lol hes been probably the most consistently good player we have this season

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As good as he has been (and he has been bloody good), he's probably one of the more replaceable players.

That said, I can't see us getting more than £15m for him and we'd need to spend that on a replacement.

It depends what Fosun's attitude is. If they want to bring players on and sell them when their stock is at it's highest, now is the time.

Yeah, absolutely. He's been the most consistent he's been for all of his Wolves career this season. But that doesn't distract from the fact that he's 31 at the end of the year, and has 1 year left on his deal in the summer.

With that in mind, his stock might be highest after this season, but the price we could get for him probably isn't based on his remaining contract length.

The options are you either tie him up for the remainder of his top level career (new 3/4 year deal), then he leaves for nothing at the end of it. Or you sell for around £10-15m this summer and look to replace.

I don't think there's a wrong option here. Both have their pros and cons.

Nelson has earned the right to choose really. If he's happy to stay and sign a new deal while he's playing the best football of his Wolves career, there's really no pressure to sell for the amount it will bring in and the cost of a replacement that might be worse.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see any point in selling him at this point. As has been said, this is the best season of his career as a Wolves player. there's no way we could sell him for enough to a) be able to buy a replacement as least as good and b) have any left over for other positions on the pitch. We may as well keep him and get the best out of him until he's not capable of playing at the top level any more.

Not every player has to be sold, sometimes you can get more value by keeping them

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At 30/31, he’s playing as well, if not his best form for us since he signed. For the sake of another year or two, it’d save us shelling out multi-millions to buy someone half as quick and not as good.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There’s always one…!

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
Much improved under GON, but have voted to sell at the end of this season. We might get £10 million for him? If so he owes us nothing.
Use the money to buy a younger replacement.

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gone for extend. Seems very settled in the area and playing well. Another important cog in the team for me, not just with how we are playing but an experienced head for the younger lads. Ideally a young rb to learn and rotate with him over next season.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree that his direct threat is awful but he's contributing well in getting us up the pitch quickly and he doesn't lose the ball easily. Defensively he's generally good unless the ball is in the air. Teams have stopped doing this far post routine successfully which catches him out which could be down to them or us, I don't know.

Not much of a footballing brain, more of an athlete with good ball control and apt to the odd brain fart.

If we did sell it can only be if there's a good replacement otherwise it's for financial reasons (which we don't need if Neto goes) and will be to the detriment of the team.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Premier League quality. Up there with the best in 1v1 defending. Great engine to move back and on forward. Good ball control.

On the other hand too wasteful in the final third and prone to an odd positioning or tactical mistake. However, the biggest difference this season is that he visibly improved in both aspects.

He is as good a right (wing) back as we can get in his prime.

We're not going to get anyone better so we should keep him. At the same time find a young, talented right back for cover.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been a big fan of his since day one and never jumped on the anti Semedo bandwagon, but i'd still sell him if we get a good offer.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, absolutely. He's been the most consistent he's been for all of his Wolves career this season. But that doesn't distract from the fact that he's 31 at the end of the year, and has 1 year left on his deal in the summer.

With that in mind, his stock might be highest after this season, but the price we could get for him probably isn't based on his remaining contract length.

The options are you either tie him up for the remainder of his top level career (new 3/4 year deal), then he leaves for nothing at the end of it. Or you sell for around £10-15m this summer and look to replace.

I don't think there's a wrong option here. Both have their pros and cons.

Nelson has earned the right to choose really. If he's happy to stay and sign a new deal while he's playing the best football of his Wolves career, there's really no pressure to sell for the amount it will bring in and the cost of a replacement that might be worse.
It’s not about the quality of the player, but more about his age and relatively high wage. If you could sell for £15m this summer I expect we would.
Ideally I’d hope he signed a one year extension; but I’m not sure he’d go for that, players over 30 tend to be more concerned with length of contract as much as wage.
Don’t think it would be wise to give him 4 years.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me he’s a player we shouldn’t try and sell, at his age the return on investment has gone, so might as well extend his contract until he’s at an age he’s no longer performing and release him on a free.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
I guess it's also worth thinking about Lembikisa's development (even Hoever?) and Doc still having two years left.

Nelson can definitely be a fine mentor for the younger guys coming through.

Back
Top Bottom