Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Scott Sellars Interview

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because that’s the same thing, isn’t it.
It’s not all that different.

Fuel prices haven’t rocketed because it’s suddenly costing 50% more to get it out of the ground, they’re up because there’s less of it available than there was before.

The supply/demand ratio has altered and sellers (not Sellars, he can’t be blamed for that too, I don’t think anyway) have pushed the price up to take advantage of this because they know someone will pay it even though it’s the same product people paid nearly 80% less for 2 years ago when no one really needed it as much.

Season tickets haven’t become less available but they’ve become in higher demand which, in the same way has enabled them to be priced higher because someone will pay it.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
It’s not all that different.

Fuel prices haven’t rocketed because it’s suddenly costing 50% more to get it out of the ground, they’re up because there’s less of it available than there was before.

The supply/demand ratio has altered and sellers (not Sellars, he can’t be blamed for that too, I don’t think anyway) have pushed the price up to take advantage of this because they know someone will pay it even though it’s the same product people paid nearly 80% less for 2 years ago when no one really needed it as much.

Season tickets haven’t become less available but they’ve become in higher demand which, in the same way has enabled them to be priced higher because someone will pay it.

And as is human nature, if people pay more for a ‘product’ then they expect that product to be better.

Up to the club then how they manage the fans. We’ve already seen this season that the demand isn’t there for tickets as it has been in previous years. A large part of the previous demand was down to the excitement in the ‘project’ which is now being watered down.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So mr overdramatic doesnt want to bankrupt the club to go up a couple of places. That would put us 6th. In Europe, which increases the clubs stature and revenue. Smart move Mr Sellars.

I can see why they had to get rid of Nuno in a lot of ways and why they threw him under the bus because he wouldnt sign a player they wanted. For all his failings in his final season, he wasnt a yes man. We will see in the summer if Bruno is or not.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So mr overdramatic doesnt want to bankrupt the club to go up a couple of places. That would put us 6th. In Europe, which increases the clubs stature and revenue. Smart move Mr Sellars.

I can see why they had to get rid of Nuno in a lot of ways and why they threw him under the bus because he wouldnt sign a player they wanted. For all his failings in his final season, he wasnt a yes man. We will see in the summer if Bruno is or not.
A cautious approach this last transfer window has probably cost us 4th place, and a huge increase in revenue and profile.

Southampton and Leicester have been the two clubs closest to the breakthrough. Leicester are the better model, Southampton the more likely judging by these remarks.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He said he wouldn't bankrupt the club to do it, which seems mighty sensible to me. He didn't say he wouldn't sign a player to take us up 2 places.

Crazy amount of negativity here given what he's said.
Even mentioning bankruptcy and the season in league 1 was nonsense. (How many premier league teams go bankrupt ffs).

No one’s asking for 70 million pound players on 250k a week.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
In that case, Jeff shouldn’t proclaim we are going to be one of the top clubs in the world in the next 5 years - the model they are pursuing isn’t conducive to that.

Also, don’t hike the ticket prices again next season - with that comes another rise in expectation.
To be fair, Jeff has stated since that he does in retrospect regret saying that, I think we should give him a pass on it now.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, this transfer committee is ridiculous. You employ a head coach/manager because you feel his style of play is going to make you successful. He should be the one telling Sellars and his mob the type of footballer he needs to make us successful and they should be going out and finding that type of player. We shouldn't have some round table meeting where its sounds like everyone has to agree. People saying you cant just sign players for a particular manager is wrong because it hasnt worked at United are off the mark imo. You can still sign quality players who are adaptable and have the right character and mentality. Its that part where United have slipped up, not on players ability. You arent going to keep employing a head coach who's style fits the playing group because if you arent a success you have to rip it up and start again anyway.

I'd also say Sellars is off the mark as well saying we take young talent and develop it. To a point he is right, we have done that, but the elephant in the room is that so far its all off the back of Mendes. We would be lost without him and the last 3 seasons where he hasnt really brought much too us our transfers have been ordinary. Thats pretty damning for Sellars and his recruitment team.

I fear for next season. If we lose Neves we are basically going to have to rebuild a midfield and start from scratch. I'm not seeing any indication here where we keep what we have and add the 3 or 4 quality first team players we need.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In that case, Jeff shouldn’t proclaim we are going to be one of the top clubs in the world in the next 5 years - the model they are pursuing isn’t conducive to that.

Also, don’t hike the ticket prices again next season - with that comes another rise in expectation.
Bang on.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is not really for me to defend Scott Sellars, but I am just fascinated why people think he is some low grade option and no better than a average academy coach?

I have recruited dozens of marketers and data analysts over a 30 year career, and in my current role I am one of a few Job Evaluators that get to set the pay levels of jobs across the organisation. We use a matrix of skills and experience to position roles on a set of criteria, there is nothing in Scott's experience that sets off any red flags to me.

The only thing I would say is it is hard to find out what UEFA Coaching badges he actually holds, I have not spent a lot of time digging but I can't find if he holds the UEFA Pro Licence for example (in the way Kevin Thelwell did). He did get the Head of academy role and that required those sort of coaching badges so you would expect he has them, but I can't find it stated anywhere.

But putting that aside looking at Scott Sellars previous roles, 15 year coaching experience, and relevant academic qualifications and I am a complete loss as to why people think he is not qualified to hold the role that he does?

Education
Masters in Sport Directorship from Manchester Metropolitan University in May 2019

Wolves Coaching Career
Technical Director
Head of Academy
Head of player development
Under-23s head coach

Other Coaching Experience
Assistant manager of the Wolves first-team under caretaker boss Rob Edwards
Assistant manager at Chesterfield in the League Two
Academy Manager at Manchester City Football Club (After 5 years at the club coaching a various levels)
Sheffield United, where he went on to manage the a range of youth teams up to U18s

Playing career 550 Premier League and EFL appearances for clubs including Newcastle United, Blackburn Rovers and Bolton Wanderers
England U21 International

We had the same uninformed opinion on Thelwell yet has has been Director of Football at Wolves, Everton, and as stint in New York - you have to say he probably doesn't care what the Molineux Mix thinks of his abilities and I bet Sellars is the same.

But seriously, the bloke has the right credentials as far as I can see.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The next scapegoat. I seem to remember Thelwell getting the same when he was here. They are working to a mandate which is clearly to develop young players to either play in our team or be sold to fund more good young players. That is the strategy of the club and it isn't going to change. Quite understandably in my opinion considering how well it's gone for us to date.

Thats not their only role. Its not all about the younger players. Their job is to improve the football club. Thelwell is just a slightly better Sellars. I'll keep saying it, people are kidding themselves if they cant see its Mendes who has got the players that have put us on the map. The non Mendes players have proved solid and useful at best. Mendes players ( and the head coaches he got here ) raised the bar and certainly would never have ended up here if he wasnt partnered up with Fosun.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cundle hasn't really had that chance. He hasn't played a full game yet.
Is he good enough? It's all well and good we are trying to bring them through but they aren't all going to be good enough.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is not really for me to defend Scott Sellars, but I am just fascinated why people think he is some low grade option and no better than a average academy coach?

I have recruited dozens of marketers and data analysts over a 30 year career, and in my current role I am one of a few Job Evaluators that get to set the pay levels of jobs across the organisation. We use a matrix of skills and experience to position roles on a set of criteria, there is nothing in Scott's experience that sets off any red flags to me.

The only thing I would say is it is hard to find out what UEFA Coaching badges he actually holds, I have not spent a lot of time digging but I can't find if he holds the UEFA Pro Licence for example (in the way Kevin Thelwell did). He did get the Head of academy role and that required those sort of coaching badges so you would expect he has them, but I can't find it stated anywhere.

But putting that aside looking at Scott Sellars previous roles, 15 year coaching experience, and relevant academic qualifications and I am a complete loss as to why people think he is not qualified to hold the role that he does?

Education
Masters in Sport Directorship from Manchester Metropolitan University in May 2019

Wolves Coaching Career
Technical Director
Head of Academy
Head of player development
Under-23s head coach

Other Coaching Experience
Assistant manager of the Wolves first-team under caretaker boss Rob Edwards
Assistant manager at Chesterfield in the League Two
Academy Manager at Manchester City Football Club (After 5 years at the club coaching a various levels)
Sheffield United, where he went on to manage the a range of youth teams up to U18s

Playing career 550 Premier League and EFL appearances for clubs including Newcastle United, Blackburn Rovers and Bolton Wanderers
England U21 International

We had the same uninformed opinion on Thelwell yet has has been Director of Football at Wolves, Everton, and as stint in New York - you have to say he probably doesn't care what the Molineux Mix thinks of his abilities and I bet Sellars is the same.

But seriously, the bloke has the right credentials as far as I can see.

Qualifications dont necessarily mean you will be good at the job. Neither does playing experience. Billy Wright had a far better playing career than somebody like Arsene Wenger for example yet he failed pretty badly as Arsenal manager.

I sometimes think these well educated, well qualified people just dont have the feel for what they need to actually do. I'll use the tried and trusted critique of our small squad, especially the midfield and Striker options. How could anyone supposedly so qualified and knowledgeable about football not think we needed at least a Striker and Midfielder this season. Its just utter madness to think we were going to be relying on Silva and a very, very unproven Cundle.

Last edited:

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And as is human nature, if people pay more for a ‘product’ then they expect that product to be better.

Up to the club then how they manage the fans. We’ve already seen this season that the demand isn’t there for tickets as it has been in previous years. A large part of the previous demand was down to the excitement in the ‘project’ which is now being watered down.
I won't be renewing as its too high. I know there's a big waiting list though so good luck if you can afford it. I'll get a membership I think and if I can go to 5 or 6 games I'm happy.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Transfer Committee! How does this work at other clubs? Surely, the manger should have the ultimate say in who is brought into the team. At the end of the day, it's him whose neck is on the line should the team under perform.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats not their only role. Its not all about the younger players. Their job is to improve the football club. Thelwell is just a slightly better Sellars. I'll keep saying it, people are kidding themselves if they cant see its Mendes who has got the players that have put us on the map. The non Mendes players have proved solid and useful at best. Mendes players ( and the head coaches he got here ) raised the bar and certainly would never have ended up here if he wasnt partnered up with Fosun.
In that case we don’t need a director of football at all then.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Transfer Committee! How does this work at other clubs? Surely, the manger should have the ultimate say in who is brought into the team. At the end of the day, it's him whose neck is on the line should the team under perform.
What happens when they don’t perform though and you bring a new manager in? That’s what did for West Brom, they had a very canny DOF in Ashworth who left and managers started solely signing players. You end up with a load of managers wanting different players and a squad full of dross. I doubt there’s a manager in the league now who has ultimate decision on players, that’s a concept gone in the last century

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What happens when they don’t perform though and you bring a new manager in? That’s what did for West Brom, they had a very canny DOF in Ashworth who left and managers started solely signing players. You end up with a load of managers wanting different players and a squad full of dross. I doubt there’s a manager in the league now who has ultimate decision on players, that’s a concept gone in the last century
We had a committee with Nuno and then when he left we brought in a manager with a completely different style whose had to go back to our boring play because that’s all the players know.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To some extent maybe. But I think we are one of those clubs now where the principals, ethos and overriding plan come first, then the manager is an afterthought to fit into that.

It makes succession planning a lot easier and avoids situations like Man United where you end up with a lot of a previous manager's players not doing much.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My only issue with Scott Sellars is he comes across like he works for Jeff Shi, not the club. It comes across like there is a script infront of him. This interview and the very aptly named "Ask Wolves" really demonstrated this IMHO.

It is not just Sellars to be fair - Matt Wild, Russell Jones, Vinny Clarke, they all strike as "yes men" that tow the party line. They may not mean to, but they do. And I think that is why many Wolves fans cannot get on board with them or Sellars.

We have missed the communication that Laurie Dalrymple brought, even Kevin Thelwell became more relatable as time went on. You felt like they wanted the club to really push on and push the boundaries. Nuno also. In 2020 7th was just the start. Now we do not want to risk further than that because it puts the club at financial risk. Really?

I am on the same page as @Mugwump I believe Nuno got the boot (much like Dalrymple) because the expectations between him and the club/fosun was not in sync and deadlock was broken. And I agree re the point on Bruno. What I like most about him is he tells us what he wants. He seems to have reigned in it a little slightly recently, clearly upon a slight slap on the wrist - but if he isn't our manager (big if, I realise, he knows this is a massive gig for him) going into 22-23, we definatly know why.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had a committee with Nuno and then when he left we brought in a manager with a completely different style whose had to go back to our boring play because that’s all the players know.
Honestly I like Bruno, but I think that is letting him off the hook a little. Many times this season he could have been much more offensive and forward thinking, yet he has stood still on the sidelines and done nothing. We cannot blame the previous regime for that.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The vast majority of successful clubs have a similar setup.

Otherwise you end up like Utd, Everton, WBA etc, where each manager brings in their favourites and you end up with a messy jumble that are useless together. You also end up with managers acting like Mourinho, where they'll bring in a load of 30 year olds because they know they'll be fine for the 2-3 years that most managers know would be their limit, rather than proper planning.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, on reflection I don't have that big a problem with the transfer committee thing because the reality is it's a load of rubbish.

Sellars is just trying to big himself up. Deep down we still know that Mendes is effectively running the club but nobody is allowed to say it for obvious reasons. When Neves goes, IMO we will sign Palhinha. Other signings again will come through his connections as they always have done.

But, you can still be worried about the tone Sellars takes in this interview. Comes across as someone desperate to highlight his own importance, which is not what you want from that role.

Like saying (along the lines of) 'we won't sign a player Bruno doesn't want, but we definitely won't sign a player I don't want'. What does he honestly expect people to take from that?

Talking about bankruptcy and 'we were in League One ten years ago' is ridiculous and irrelevant.

Also saying we 'won't spend beyond our means'. We didn't even get close to doing that. It's more weak exaggeration when people wanted one or two more players in the squad.

He does not come across well at all, IMO.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Transfer "committee" has to be quite possibly the worst phrased title since Moxey days. He will live to regret that and it is going to be used against him unfortunately.

This is a Premier League football club, not a working men's club.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Qualifications dont necessarily mean you will be good at the job. Neither does playing experience. Billy Wright had a far better playing c career than somebody like Arsene Wenger for example yet he failed pretty badly as Arsenal manager.

I sometimes think these well educated, well qualified people just dont have the feel for what they need to actually do. I'll use the tried and trusted critique of our small squad, especially the midfield and Striker options. How could anyone supposedly so qualified and knowledgeable about football not think we needed at least a Striker and Midfielder this season. Its just utter madness to think we were going to be relying on Silva and a very, very unproven Cundle.

I am at a loss to really know what to say to this,

The bloke can't win can he. He has played 550 games and done 15 years as a coach so he knows the game very well, he is a "football man" - then he bolts a Master's degree on top of that practical experience and now he does not know what to do because the club wanted to give Raul the chance to recover and let 19 year old Fabio have a bit of time.

I have no doubt Sellars knows exactly how to build a top six side the same as I do - its easy.

You start with buying Kane, Son, De Bruyne, TAA, take Jota back for the subs bench and he can bring his new mates Salah and Van Dijk, that would be a great start.

The problem is we have might have £30m not £500m - that's when things get harder.

People have to understand just how insanely difficult it is to break into the top six, did you read this bit in Jeff's article;

The Premier League is a huge money-making machine, but there are tiers within it. England's "big six" clubs – Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur – have dominated the division for decades.

With only the top four permitted entry into the lucrative rolling continental buffet that is the following season's Champions League, it's a difficult glass ceiling to break through. In the last 18 years, 71 of the 72 top-four slots have been claimed by the same six teams.

I could understand this carping about the club, Jeff, and now Sellars if we had been 15th for every season since promotion, but we have been 7th twice, 13th, and now likely to finish top 10 at the very least.

I think people should just enjoy the ride, for the best part of 30 years we wanted to be back in the Prem, now we are its still not enough.

D

Deleted member (smith)

This is an interesting thread but I challenge the assumption that Fosun would appoint someone to a key position who was not thoroughly qualified andcompetent at what he does.Major conglomerates just do not do that. Sellars also clearly said that the club would not purchase players the coach did not want . That is stating the obvious. And the coach could not purchase anyone he didn’t want …that also is stating the bleeding obvious I really think that some posters read far too much into interviews and are overly critical of almost everything assuming incompetence and sabotage at every step.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is the “completely different style” based on the opening 3 games. I don’t think Bruno is that much different to Nuno at all, just plays slightly more expansive football. We’ve hardly gone from Allardyce to Pep have we?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven't read through all this thread but the line that stuck out for me in the interview was 'my challenge is to make money to use money'. Basically bring on the youngsters, like Kilman and Cundle, and sell on at some stage for big money which enables us to buy more established players. I suppose this philosophy also applies to players like Jota and Neves, buy relatively cheap, bring them on and sell for a big profit. It sounds great on paper but how many young players have we 'discovered', but the U18s and 23s do look to have some decent players now. Also if Neves does go for big money it will be interesting to see how this is invested?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cundle hasn't really had that chance. He hasn't played a full game yet.

This is what concerns me. He hasnt had a kick since Spurs. Does Bruno really trust him to start more games or have a run in the side? Didnt bring him on against Leeds when Neves got injured.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those two places would m make wolves a top six club. It is precisely the next step the club has to take. And would open up all kinds of possibilities.

Some weird **** in that interview.
True. IMO we should be looking to get ourselves into the top 6 fairly regularly before thinking we can gatecrash the top 4. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that...

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The big worry for me is we are still largely helped by our first transfer window in the Premier league under Nuno and the one in the championship before we got promoted. We have signed some decent players since of course but nothing quite like those two windows.

Sooner or later the likes of Saiss, Moutinho, Neves, Raul, Boly will be gone. The big issue is will they be replaced properly if and when they go. I must admit I have got my doubts but hope to be proven wrong.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don't really like Sellars. I'm not sure why....I just haven't taken to him. Nothing he says there annoys me, but there's just something about him. Harsh, but there we go.
I was never impressed with Sellars as a player - looked good on the ball but little end product. Bit of a show-pony. Seems he has the same qualities now - lots of good sound-bites, but nothing of substance.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everything that comes out of the club is consistent and sensible, and the approach will likely secure our Premier League status for many years to come, which isn't to be sniffed it.

It's just a case of what everyone's interpretation of ambition is. Sellars and Shi are jockeys there to ride the horse, not necessarily win the race. Bruno, on the other hand, is someone who thinks the race is there to be competed in, and that's where the friction will come in.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Everything that comes out of the club is consistent and sensible, and the approach will likely secure our Premier League status for many years to come, which isn't to be sniffed it.

It's just a case of what everyone's interpretation of ambition is. Sellars and Shi are jockeys there to ride the horse, not necessarily win the race. Bruno, on the other hand, is someone who thinks the race is there to be competed in, and that's where the friction will come in.
The problem is we are being slowly and gradually downgraded positionally (re: players). Over time this is a recipe for certain relegation.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
Cant say it makes for particularly exciting reading. Basically confirmed that fosun's days of chucking money at the project are over and the club has to wash its own face now.

The problem is there is a bit of a disconnect between wanting to be one of the "best in the world" (as Shi has said recently in that separate interview) and getting there by organic growth. Unless we start winning things and we're qualifying for Europe on a regular basis, attracting and retaining quality players will become difficult without any external investment.

As it stands without investment and with the kind of growth that comes from player trading and other income from the streams the club is exploring, I reckon we'll hover around mid table. I would be happy enough with that if the club were honest and realistic about their ambitions but the pronouncements about being a top club are not compatible with the current strategy. It raises expectations and adds pressure which ultimately is counter productive.

I would love them to be right and for a crop of youngsters from the academy and some more young and hungry signings propel us to the Champions League, whilst relying on the loyalty of Neves, Neto, Jonny & Semedo providing the experience and backbone through that period. All seems a bit fantastical to me though.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That’s fair, and I have said elsewhere they need to get that side right as the don’t want to be pricing out the diehard supporters whilst focusing solely on making more money.

There are places to squeeze income as much as possible and places not to, they need to get that balance right.

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
Is the “completely different style” based on the opening 3 games. I don’t think Bruno is that much different to Nuno at all, just plays slightly more expansive football. We’ve hardly gone from Allardyce to Pep have we?
I don't think the central defenders are good enough to cope with us playing a more expansive style.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes gets us access to players, we still decide which ones to sign

Back
Top Bottom