Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Scott Sellars Interview

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sellars is a slime ball. Keeps doing silly interviews talking up his own game and what he likes about the club and how Cundle should play.

Sorry the past 4 windows have been failures how many of them was under his watch??

Keep coming up with stupid excuses on how you won’t bankrupt us Scott while we fall more behind clubs that strengthen. (Newcastle, West Ham, Leicester, Vile, Spurs so on and so forth… Fear not Jordao will probably come back like a new signing and be Neves replacement?? I can already hear the excuses it’s hard to have faith in a motormouth like moxey

Talk of us coming close to signing Sanches and Botman is laughable I bet we never even made a bid for them
I don’t know how many more times it can be explained but he can only spend the budget set by the people above him. It’s absolutely not in his interest for us to fail in the transfer window. If you have an issue with a lack of transfer activity blame the people who set the budget.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
while we fall more behind clubs that strengthen. (Newcastle, West Ham, Leicester, Vile, Spurs so on and so forth…

Hold on, since when have we been behind Villa?

Last I looked, they were 10 (TEN!) points behind us, and yet you're looking longingly at them? I'd much rather be a Wolves fan than a Villa fan.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Last I looked, they were 10 (TEN!) points behind us, and yet you're looking longingly at them? I'd much rather be a Wolves fan than a Villa fan.
I’m on about next season when I said we will be left behind by bigger spending clubs because our previous windows have been failures. Whatever suits you’re happy clapping agenda

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m on about next season when I said we will be left behind by bigger spending clubs because our previous windows have been failures. Whatever suits you’re happy clapping agenda

You might have meant to refer to next season, but you didn't. As for my "happy clapping agenda", I'm not going to apologise for thinking Wolves are better than other clubs, including Villa.

And what's changed since these, other than The Gap widening to 10 points?
Another season where villa spend over 110m on players and still find themselves behind little spending Wolves!!
The vile have splashed the cash for the past 5 years and are still $h7t in my book what’s their spend over the past 5 years? Something ridiculous I bet

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll tell you why it’s an agenda because you can’t have it all ways. You can’t say he’s no good at his job and then say Mendes brings the player AND then say we need a better head of recruitment. If all the good signings are down to Mendes then why do we need a better head of recruitment? Wouldn’t that be absolutely pointless? Just a bloke sat in an office playing solitaire all day while Mendes does the rest.
Absolutely . I am moving on with your help . I have been learning from you that Mendes is not sidelined , that his number two is around . And it is great news . Sellars is a youth coach and a bit more . Perfect .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness i will take gibbs white, sanderson and giles playing at a high level as success. Then there is the smattering of players like corbeanu and connor ronan at a lower level who are also worth a substantial amount. Sprinkled with nigel lonwijk who is pulling up trees in holland.
Don’t see us getting in to Europe with that lot ! Relegation tussle may be .

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sellars is a slime ball. Keeps doing silly interviews talking up his own game and what he likes about the club and how Cundle should play.

Sorry the past 4 windows have been failures how many of them was under his watch??

Keep coming up with stupid excuses on how you won’t bankrupt us Scott while we fall more behind clubs that strengthen. (Newcastle, West Ham, Leicester, Vile, Spurs so on and so forth… Fear not Jordao will probably come back like a new signing and be Neves replacement?? I can already hear the excuses it’s hard to have faith in a motormouth like moxey

Talk of us coming close to signing Sanches and Botman is laughable I bet we never even made a bid for them
A slime ball? Easy on there. He’s not a slime ball. If you don’t like his views, policies or his work., then ok.
But insulting him for your irrational dislike or hatred is a bit far.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why? For a club with no budget (as in, we do not have the funds) I think we do well.
Win, lose, draw, finish 10th,finish 4th.... Our recruitment regardless of any factor, has been less than adequate.

Summer 2019
Jan 2020
Summer 2020
Jan 2021
Summer 2021
Jan 2022

Two players (Neto/Sa) imo have been the only clear upgrade for the team. You can make an argument for Semedo, RAN, Podence. But not a clear upgrade IMO (certainly in terms of value in the case of Semedo)

Six transfer windows and Neto/Sa aside, it is not good enough
It’s not a joke…we have some good players. I mean, how did we get to and hold on to 7th or 8th places.
You can’t do that with a bad recruitment team.
Above. We have got to those places based on the recruitment between 2017-2019. To the credit of recruitment (or staff who have now moved on..) it was spot on in that period.

Perhaps it is being greedy, but with good recruitment, we could have pushed further on and not be in a position of dread this summer and beyond in regards to Neves, Kilman, Neto etc.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Win, lose, draw, finish 10th,finish 4th.... Our recruitment regardless of any factor, has been less than adequate.

Summer 2019
Jan 2020
Summer 2020
Jan 2021
Summer 2021
Jan 2022

Two players (Neto/Sa) imo have been the only clear upgrade for the team. You can make an argument for Semedo, RAN, Podence. But not a clear upgrade IMO (certainly in terms of value in the case of Semedo)

Above. We have got to those places based on the recruitment between 2017-2019. To the credit of recruitment (or staff who have now moved on..) it was spot on in that period.

Perhaps it is being greedy, but with good recruitment, we could have pushed further on and not be in a position of dread this summer and beyond in regards to Neves, Kilman, Neto etc.
I can't imagine many clubs outside of the likes of Barcelona/PSG/Real/ManU that could afford to have ready made replacements for their top players sitting on the bench, just in case they are tempted away in the next window. We are in no different position to any of our rivals in this regard. Where we are different is that we have a stated and often repeated policy of sustainability, that is in line with the reality of our status as a provincial club with a modest turnover trying to compete with teams who have a substantial financial and structural advantage over us, in a competition they have developed to favour themselves. In that context we have not done badly, so far, in terms of recruitment and player development.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Summer 2019
Jan 2020
Summer 2020
Jan 2021
Summer 2021
Jan 2022

Our recruitment has matched where we are at as a club, self sustainable, Fosun taps were turned off two years ago and they called time on their loan so whatever transfer funds Wolves have, have to be made by Wolves.

Thus, our recruitment has been bang on for where we are at. We aren't here for upgrade on positions, we can't afford them, so we buy potential and hope they can turn into world beaters to keep the cycle going.

We aren't going to buy ready made players at this stage, it is simply not an affordable model for a club like ours that is reliant on it's own cash flow.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I keep coming back to one quote in that interview:

but I’m also realistic and I won’t bankrupt the club to go up another two places.

Its an outstandingly stupid remark. That "two places" means you have cracked the top 6. The club's income would
rise by anything from 30% to 50%. The best players stay, better players can be bought. Good managers stay, rather
than move on. The fanbase grows with European football. It's the exact opposite of bankrupting the club.

Second, who is this I who wont bankrupt the club. Hitler?, Jesus?, Allah? Putin?? Obviously Sellars doesnt have the power to
bankrupt the club. He is given a budget to work with by Jeff Shi, who is the representative of a major international corporation.
They have the power to bankrupt the club, not Scotty boy with the grandmother haircut.

Third, with FFP in its various iterations, it is not possible to bankrupt a Premier League club very easily. The restrictions on a club's
spending are strict, (as we have already found out), and amount to relatively unimportant margins on income, certainly to a company
as big as Fosun. Fosun should be exploiting those margins to the full, but they are not decisive, and are too small to bring a club down.

Hopefully the arrogance and ignorance of this interview will lead to a severe dressing down for Sellars, if not direct removal and replacement.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How does that qualification help in his role? I don't really care about qualifications but I'd like to know how relevant it is as you seem to think it's massively important. You can get a degree in gender studies but it means **** all at the end of the day

Dear god, if we have got to the point where someone has to explain why having a technical education in Sports Directorship is a good idea when the bloke is in charge of hundreds of millions of pounds of playing assets (and over a hundred million in wages) then I think its time we all gave up.

I don't think anyone is saying having a Masters Degree in sports science is going to automatically mean he is fantastic, but the bloke also 15 years coaching experience and 550 games as a player - so basically 40 years plus in the game AND a Masters degree.

I did a Masters Degree twenty years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did. Bloody hard work with two kids under 5 at the time and working full time. But it gave you the opportunity to think about one subject in extremely fine detail. You have to read more or less everything that has been written about your special subject area so you can test your own ideas against others experiences and you learn about yourself, how you plan, how you think, your philosophy and how you communicate to others.

All we are saying is on the evidence of his experience, education, and his the work he has done he deserves the role he has got. If Jeff is not happy with him for what ever reason he will be gone, and that is fair enough.

You might not like what Sellars says or how he says it, you might not like Fosun want a self funding club - but it does not make any sense to think the bloke must be some sort of idiot.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Summer 2019
Jan 2020
Summer 2020
Jan 2021
Summer 2021
Jan 2022

The fact the first team isn't constantly changing is a sign of good recruitment not bad.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

but I’m also realistic and I won’t bankrupt the club to go up another two places.

Its an outstandingly stupid remark. That "two places" means you have cracked the top 6. The club's income would
rise by anything from 30% to 50%. The best players stay, better players can be bought. Good managers stay, rather
than move on. The fanbase grows with European football. It's the exact opposite of bankrupting the club.

Second, who is this I who wont bankrupt the club. Hitler?, Jesus?, Allah? Putin?? Obviously Sellars doesnt have the power to
bankrupt the club. He is given a budget to work with by Jeff Shi, who is the representative of a major international corporation.
They have the power to bankrupt the club, not Scotty boy with the grandmother haircut.

Third, with FFP in its various iterations, it is not possible to bankrupt a Premier League club very easily. The restrictions on a club's
spending are strict, (as we have already found out), and amount to relatively unimportant margins on income, certainly to a company
as big as Fosun. Fosun should be exploiting those margins to the full, but they are not decisive, and are too small to bring a club down.

Hopefully the arrogance and ignorance of this interview will lead to a severe dressing down for Sellars, if not direct removal and replacement.
Sellars didn’t mean the club to go bankrupt literally.
What he meant was the club weren’t going to spend foolishly in order to try to go a few spaces up.

I don’t know how many times Wolves have to say it before everyone accepts it……
…..we have to live within our means.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The way I see this comment is we are happy to achieve 40pts every season which lacks ambition and excitement from a fans perspective

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Sellars didn’t mean the club to go bankrupt literally.
What he meant was the club weren’t going to spend foolishly in order to try to go a few spaces up.

I don’t know how many times Wolves have to say it before everyone accepts it……
…..we have to live within our means.
We have to live within our means sounds sensible enough, and is acceptable Vancouver.
But living within our means will make it very difficult, to quote Jeff, to become one of the worlds best clubs within five years.
I would be happy to be where we are now in the table in five years with that approach, that will take some doing. Top four and Champions League.. I hope Jeff is right.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

With all due respect they finished ten points ahead of us last season.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way I see this comment is we are happy to achieve 40pts every season which lacks ambition and excitement from a fans perspective
Ok, that’s they way you interpret it, fair enough.
The way I see it, Fosun bought Wolves so that they could develop a good club and compete against the bigger clubs. They are ambitious.
Their plan is rational, practical, realistic and more importantly, they are patient. They’ve seen all the massive amounts of money wasted by clubs thinking they can spend they’re way to the top. There’s no shortcuts as it’s a very hard nut to crack.

Even after all the money City have spent , they still haven’t won the European cup and only got to the final once.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not a joke…we have some good players. I mean, how did we get to and hold on to 7th or 8th places.
You can’t do that with a bad recruitment team.

The majority of the players were already at Wolves prior to Sellars becoming director of football in Jan 21. With the exception of Sa he has overseen Trincao and Hwang incomings and its fair to say neither are proven first team starters, other than that's its been kids that are "ones for the future". I am not saying this is all down to Sellars but similarly he cant take credit for the players already at the club. Nuno certainly seemed to have more sway of player recruitment than Lage is allowed

Back
Top Bottom