Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Scott Sellars Interview

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People lining up to see who can write the most incoherent rant about Sellars having a veto on signings. All well run clubs do this - otherwise you end up like Man Utd, where the manager picks who he wants, and a few years later you're wondering why you have a squad of 4 managers' favourites that doesn't fit together at all.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
People lining up to see who can write the most incoherent rant about Sellars having a veto on signings. All well run clubs do this - otherwise you end up like Man Utd, where the manager picks who he wants, and a few years later you're wondering why you have a squad of 4 managers' favourites that doesn't fit together at all.
Never ceases to amaze me

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So when Sellars overrules Bruno and doesn’t give him the players he wants whose fault will it be when it goes wrong?

When I ask Scarlett Johansson and Taylor Swift round to cannock towers for a night of hide the sausage will it be Mrs Cannock's fault when she explains it's not a good idea?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think anyone have a problem with a DOF(which is essentialy what Sellars is) having a decisive say on transfers.
However I do see a lot of people questioning what on Sellars CV that qualifies him for that role.
To me it seems like he's essentially a good youth coach, and by all means he sounds good for the overall youth development at the club. In fact with our strategy of not spending much, but hoping developing young players will be our way forward , he's maybe not a bad choice.

However a DOF should be able to create and maintain and overall tactical vision and transfer strategy for the first team. Does he have the ability or experience for that?
I've no idea, but I understand why people ask that question, especially as our last few transfer windows haven't been very good for our First Team.

However as stated before, I was completely wrong about Thelwells ability, so Im reluctant to be too harsh on Sellars, because I really don't know how good he is.

Soho Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
"Remember where we were." Yes Scott, let's remember where we were. We were champions of England and the best team in Europe. It's not all about the money, nobody is asking you to "bankrupt the club", just show some ambition man FFS.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
Let’s not kid ourselves - Sellars is vastly under qualified for the role he is in.

The only reason we are in the position we are is because of a high net spend in 17/18 and 18/19 and because those players were brought to us by Mendes.

Unfortunately that squad of players is coming to the end of its cycle and I don’t trust Sellars to lead the efforts to replace those players with ones of similar quality.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Remember where we were." Yes Scott, let's remember where we were. We were champions of England and the best team in Europe. It's not all about the money, nobody is asking you to "bankrupt the club", just show some ambition man FFS.

But question is whether it's Sellars or Fosun the needs to show that ambition.

My guess is that Sellars doesn't set the budget. He's just I charge of getting as much quality out of what is available as possible.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's interesting to compare the interviews of Shi and Sellars and to compare the comments they are receiving.

Yet I thought Shi was effectively Sellars boss?

So Jeff can talk about his love for life in Wolverhampton and all things branding while Scott puts on the tin hat.

Bosses prerogative I suppose, delegation and all that.

Scott Sellars - Best in The Business

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's shown ambition. He's gone from a coaching role to being a quasi DoF.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I ask Scarlett Johansson and Taylor Swift round to cannock towers for a night of hide the sausage will it be Mrs Cannock's fault when she explains it's not a good idea?
"Hide the sausage" sounds like a good game.

Although some of us have to play "hide the chipolata"

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's quite impossible for anyone, whether connected with the club or not, to forecast how the club will progress whatever system is adopted for managing it; the world is in such a state of flux, and China is a prominent figure in the maelstrom, we can only hope we don't become embroiled in a different version of the Chelsea shambles.
Anyone who spins a tale without due reference to the world's current problems, economic, military or social, does so with tongue in cheek or in the hope of distracting others from realities.
Recruitment, selection, ticket prices, ground development etc, iro a football club, are such small matters in today's world that arguing the toss over them is like the old joke of people disagreeing about chairs on the deck of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’ve got the positions and roles completely mixed. Sellars is set a budget by Fosun/Shi and works to it. What more can he do?
Sellars is full of excuses already. I can already hear the we tried to do this we tried that and end up with nothing. We’re in trouble if we are penny pinching over a few million. We are premier league club ffs show some ambition!!

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I understand people's frustration that we seem unable to push on, but what I always remind myself of is where we were before Fosun took over. Years spent in the Championship with the odd foray into the premier league, inevitably ending in relegation after a couple of seasons struggle at best.
The other thing I think of is Charlton Athletic under Curbishly. They were sitting in a similar situation to ourselves in the top division and all I used to hear from their fans was that Curbishly should be sacked as he had taken them as far as he could. Look at the league tables to see where they are now.
After approx 60 years of following Wolves, apart from the 1970s, this is the best place we have been in, with some good/great players to enjoy. The team is stuffed full of internationals.
As someone previously pointed out, the only way to challenge Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc is to spend a massive amount of money, and even then there are no guarantees. Villa and Everton have tried that recently and it has not really got them very far.
Overall I am quite happy with the club's strategy. Patience is the key factor. Nobody knows where we will finish up in a few years. My one wish is that Fosun would spend a bit of money tidying up and finishing off the ground, because as much as we all love Molineux, compared to the grounds of the aforementioned 'elite' clubs, it is a lopsided mess.
Absolutely spot on pal!

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
.... End up like Everton ;)

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got no problem with alot of what he said tbh but the one I do have is this nonsense about spending and bankrupting the club.... Most fans aren't expecting us to go out and spend loads (say like a Newcastle will this summer) but they want the club to be active in looking to improve the side and doing that means we have to willing to spend a little more than just what we make on selling players.. Especially this summer coming with some key senior players out of contract and the chance Neves might just move on...

I'm all for giving youth a chance but we need to find the right balance...

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's an open attack on Bruno and his ambition. Can't see any other way of reading some of these remarks.

Question mark over Bruno s future now
Fair observation and must admit I didn't initially see it that way.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
.... End up like Everton ;)
One thing a lifetime of working in different organisations in 2 different countries now is that one must always cast a critical eye (not necessarily in a negative way) over high level leadership. They are often full of agendas and addicted to the power that leadership sometimes affords them.

It's sensible to bear that in mind and not just believe everything they say.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be interesting to hear Bruno's views on this. Pretty sure he won't be a ****ed off and most fans appear to be, because as he has said in the past, and as Sellars confirmed in this interview, it's a team approach.

Everyone acting like Sellars has vetoed a long list of players Bruno has suggested, when the reality of the situation is probably far from that.

The comments are almost like the club are purposefully trolling those that think there's disharmony behind the scenes, then they all sit around together laughing at the over the top responses.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think anyone have a problem with a DOF(which is essentialy what Sellars is) having a decisive say on transfers.
However I do see a lot of people questioning what on Sellars CV that qualifies him for that role.
To me it seems like he's essentially a good youth coach, and by all means he sounds good for the overall youth development at the club. In fact with our strategy of not spending much, but hoping developing young players will be our way forward , he's maybe not a bad choice.

However a DOF should be able to create and maintain and overall tactical vision and transfer strategy for the first team. Does he have the ability or experience for that?
I've no idea, but I understand why people ask that question, especially as our last few transfer windows haven't been very good for our First Team.

However as stated before, I was completely wrong about Thelwells ability, so Im reluctant to be too harsh on Sellars, because I really don't know how good he is.
I don't even think his CV really even supports this does it?

He was at Man City academy for 5 years before being sacked reportedly over "strategic direction regarding home grown players".
His performance as Wolves Development coach for 4 years wasn't exactly successful was it?

In my very humble opinion, he's an average academy level coach, grossly under-qualified for a DOF/Technical Director Role who seems to content being Jeff's "YES" man where the likes of Thelwell clearly was not.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the way Fosun wants the club to be run. I have no problems with it. It is working.
A midfield shake up would have been nice, and a greater appreciation of Adama; but that's about it really.
Our success has been about giving opportunities to unproven players.
If Bruno is at the wrong club, and doesn't actually want to develop young players he can go for all I care.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
This is the way Fosun wants the club to be run. I have no problems with it. It is working.
A midfield shake up would have been nice, and a greater appreciation of Adama; but that's about it really.
If Bruno is at the wrong club, and doesn't actually want to develop young players he can go for all I care.
This is a good summary there is really nothing new in what’s been said

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves are doing well because of high profile signings, whether you like it or not.

Those kind of signings will remain vital if the club wants to compete for a top 6 place.

Sellars seems to discount a top 6 place, and at the same time, discount major signings.

So a denial of what got us to where we are, and a refusal to countenance the approach that has
worked in the past, being used in the future.

Concerning interview.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"If we signed a 28-year-old in his position, then Luke doesn’t get that chance"

What a ridiculous thing to say. We play 352 a lot of the time, requiring three central midfielders. By that logic, we basically need 11 first-team players, any more and the kids don't get the chance to fill in for one game here and there. We've had one injury and now we only have three players in the squad to fill three positions and he's going on like it's some sort of masterstroke on his behalf!

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The next scapegoat. I seem to remember Thelwell getting the same when he was here. They are working to a mandate which is clearly to develop young players to either play in our team or be sold to fund more good young players. That is the strategy of the club and it isn't going to change. Quite understandably in my opinion considering how well it's gone for us to date.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's sensible to bear that in mind and not just believe everything they say.

Seeing as we've heard Jeff, SS, and Lage all publicly say that transfers are agree on by committee, and seeing as most top clubs work in this way, I don't think there's a need to be so suspicious.

Questioning everything is as daft as questioning nothing - half a lifetime working in organisations in 3 countries has taught me that!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sellars out. He sounds like another jez moxey full of excuses for wolves not spending money

I find the Moxey comparisons are always a bit unfair.

Moxey was effectively a dictator/fat-controller, whatever you want to call him. He had one view of how a football club should be run and it was his way, or no way.

In the end, his obsession with balancing the books was to the detriment of the footballing side and we ended up in League One as a result. Long-term, his book-keeping skills helped to attract Fosun, so it was a happy ending in a way.

Our current team approach is different. It's not just one person's viewpoint, but ideas are shared. It can only be more positive. We are trying to balance being successful on the pitch with being financially prudent, which is never a bad thing. It is working in terms of relative success over my lifetime.

The Premier League is weird, as spending doesn't necessarily equate to success, depending on the level you're already at.

For example. Liverpool grew to their current position of challengers by signing the right players and selling the right players. It wasn't until they needed to push on to that next level of winning the league that they started signing players for big money like Alisson and van Dijk. That's because for the level they were at, that was the next step. It's also where City are too. If they identify a player that can improve them, that player will likely cost them £50-100m.

Getting the right strategy at the right time is important. United prove that by trying to sign those icing-on-the-cake type players before the cake is baked! Now they are second in net spend over the last 5 seasons, but nowhere near being challengers. Everton are another. 4th in net spend over 5 seasons and in real danger of being relegated. Villa might find themselves in a similar position in a few years if they aren't careful.

There's no doubt that huge investment in our squad was needed to get us to where we are. But now we are an established top 10 PL club, spending for the sake of spending doesn't guarantee that you will push on to that next level. Get the foundations right, invest in youth, build organically, grow the revenue, bring in the right players, for the right price at the right time and make sure your strategy is always bang on for where you find yourselves.

That's not to say that we don't need to spend anything, there's a balance to be had. I'd expect us to continue to look for players based on the value they add for the cost. This summer will be the biggest disruption to our apple cart since promotion, so how the club deal with it will be very telling. If we go into next season with a midfield pairing of Donk and Cundle, they will probably not have got it right!

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
The next scapegoat. I seem to remember Thelwell getting the same when he was here. They are working to a mandate which is clearly to develop young players to either play in our team or be sold to fund more good young players. That is the strategy of the club and it isn't going to change. Quite understandably in my opinion considering how well it's gone for us to date.

In that case, Jeff shouldn’t proclaim we are going to be one of the top clubs in the world in the next 5 years - the model they are pursuing isn’t conducive to that.

Also, don’t hike the ticket prices again next season - with that comes another rise in expectation.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
"If we signed a 28-year-old in his position, then Luke doesn’t get that chance"

What a ridiculous thing to say. We play 352 a lot of the time, requiring three central midfielders. By that logic, we basically need 11 first-team players, any more and the kids don't get the chance to fill in for one game here and there. We've had one injury and now we only have three players in the squad to fill three positions and he's going on like it's some sort of masterstroke on his behalf!
Cundle hasn't really had that chance. He hasn't played a full game yet.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In that case, Jeff shouldn’t proclaim we are going to be one of the top clubs in the world in the next 5 years - the model they are pursuing isn’t conducive to that.

Also, don’t hike the ticket prices again next season - with that comes another rise in expectation.
That all depends on the quality of the young players we find. I agree regarding ticket prices, they increased them last year to make them comparabale with other clubs so shouldn't need to do it again.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sellars is full of excuses already. I can already hear the we tried to do this we tried that and end up with nothing. We’re in trouble if we are penny pinching over a few million. We are premier league club ffs show some ambition!!
How’s he full of excuses? Have you never had a job that has a remit? His job when it comes to recruitment is to work within a budget. A budget we all know has been reduced. If you want to point the finger at ambition it’s at the people who dictate his budget. I’m sure that If he had a massive budget he’d spend it, why wouldn’t he as he knows he’s judged by the majority of fans on signings. If he got a budget of say £150 million in the summer he’d spend every penny as it’d be in his and the clubs best interests to do it.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s not kid ourselves - Sellars is vastly under qualified for the role he is in.

The only reason we are in the position we are is because of a high net spend in 17/18 and 18/19 and because those players were brought to us by Mendes.

Unfortunately that squad of players is coming to the end of its cycle and I don’t trust Sellars to lead the efforts to replace those players with ones of similar quality.
Why is he vastly under qualified? Isn’t he one of the few in that role in the country with a degree is sports directorships? Years of coaching experience and a decade playing career at the highest level. I know a youth coach at a premier league club, a scout for a local rival and a football agent and all have told me at various times how well respected he is in the football community.

As replacing players, that’ll purely come down to the budget he has to work with.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves are doing well because of high profile signings, whether you like it or not.

Those kind of signings will remain vital if the club wants to compete for a top 6 place.

Sellars seems to discount a top 6 place, and at the same time, discount major signings.

So a denial of what got us to where we are, and a refusal to countenance the approach that has
worked in the past, being used in the future.

Concerning interview.
High profile? Neves, Jota, Jonny were all relatively inexperienced. Raul and Boly weren't first team regulars and had something to prove.
Vitinha may have been a good signing. We never found out because we never played him. That is on Nuno really.
Sa(lower profile) is a step up on rui patricio and to me, at least is the biggest reason we are in 8th at the moment. Ait-Nouri looks tremendous. Kilman has been superb.
A focus on youth is how I want the club to be ran, because ultimately I think we are capable of attracting a higher calibre of youth player, with the promise that we can give them opportunities here that they wouldn't necessarily get at other big clubs. It's why Jota came here, and left for a bigger club.

Vinny1971

Reaction score
Why oh Why we employed a Bolton Wanderers ex player who has no affiliation to our club and in my eyes no love for the club to be in this role is above me. We have had some very clever and astute players overtime who also love the club who could make a better fist of the role and who the fans would trust...I don't trust him...just my opinion. Its like putting Lee Hughes in charge of building rapport with the wolves fans.

Back
Top Bottom