Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Scott Sellars discuss .....

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
so what?…….he’s a huge agent. So he helps a lot of clubs and players.
Thats his job.

Mind you, let’s remember that it’s Jeff who signs the cheques…..not Mendes Its Jeff who forged this team.
And Guo signs Jeffs cheques and is part owner of Gestifute. Would we have this squad without Jeff? Quite possibly. Would we have it without Mendes? Not a chance.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What more were you expecting the club to do yesterday?
Buy CR7, tempt the fat Ronaldo out of retirement and convince Sergio Ramos to dump his £400k a week and bright lights of Paris for a flat in heath town and as many orange chips as he can eat.

Sellars Out! Shi Out! Lage Out! Doris the tea lady out!

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re implying or assuming that he didn’t like the contract but you don’t know if that’s true but yet you accuse @Paddy Wolf of assuming.
You can’t have it both ways.

“”No Paddy I cant which is why I have not made the assumption as you have..

bottom line is…..for whatever reason, MGW didn’t sign and so Wolves AND MGW decided to part ways.
No you are assuming that is what I am implying. I challenged Paddy as he was making out that it was down to Gibbs White to make the decision whareas the club in this case had the upper hand. He had two years left on his contract so there is no way he could have left if Wolves had wanted him. Neves has also not signed a new contract. He is still here because the club still want him and is assured of a place in the team.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re surprised that Fosun kept Jeff and Sellars after they finished 10th?
Really?

what about if they’d finished 9th?………or 8th?

when would you have let them stay or go?
Are you proud that they finished 10th when they were easily capable of achieving top 6 and with the right results maybe slightly higher. Have you seen how many points we have achieved in the last 17 or so matches? Have you seen how we have played and are you happy with that? Do you think that after coming 7th for two seasons that we have improved or not?
I wonder if you would have kept the passengers on the Titanic if you had been the Captain?
You dont imrove things by ignoring when things start to go wrong.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you proud that they finished 10th when they were easily capable of achieving top 6 and with the right results maybe slightly higher. Have you seen how many points we have achieved in the last 17 or so matches? Have you seen how we have played and are you happy with that? Do you think that after coming 7th for two seasons that we have improved or not?
I wonder if you would have kept the passengers on the Titanic if you had been the Captain?
You dont imrove things by ignoring when things start to go wrong.
I think “easily capable of achieving top 6” is a bit of a stretch. In so far as we’ve undoubtedly increased the quality in the squad this summer yet I still doubt very much that it can achieve top 6 let alone last seasons squad.

Without looking too inwardly at those inside molineux from a football prospective the Premier league is ridiculous nowadays, city will walk it, then there’s a few teams fancy themselves for 2-3 and 4-5 but 6th and 7th there’s a host of teams who fancy themselves for it, it’s absolutely wide open.

We undoubtedly took a step back after two top 7 finishes, but we’ve (hopefully) addressed the squad weakness so (again hopefully) can look to take a step back in the right direction.

Personally feel we probably won’t ever get to where we want to ie challenging in Europe yearly but if we do it might be a long slog of one step backwards, two forward over an extended period

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are right MGW did not have to go. So think about why he went then.

Only a personal view but I think people look for sinister reasons for MGW going but I imagine 1) they offered him a longer and more lucrative contract, which seems the forest way currently 2) more assurances of starts. 3) he could see or was perhaps was told about incoming players and didn’t want reduced playing time.

I don’t think for one second forest are a more attractive proposition for him as a club, but definitely more attractive to him as a young player for the reasons above.

It might come back to haunt us, he could become the player we hoped he would turn into but ultimately he could be the next Todd Cantwell also.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think “easily capable of achieving top 6” is a bit of a stretch. In so far as we’ve undoubtedly increased the quality in the squad this summer yet I still doubt very much that it can achieve top 6 let alone last seasons squad.

Without looking too inwardly at those inside molineux from a football prospective the Premier league is ridiculous nowadays, city will walk it, then there’s a few teams fancy themselves for 2-3 and 4-5 but 6th and 7th there’s a host of teams who fancy themselves for it, it’s absolutely wide open.

We undoubtedly took a step back after two top 7 finishes, but we’ve (hopefully) addressed the squad weakness so (again hopefully) can look to take a step back in the right direction.

Personally feel we probably won’t ever get to where we want to ie challenging in Europe yearly but if we do it might be a long slog of one step backwards, two forward over an extended period
Steve the only reason I said achieving top six was because we actually had the points and then went on a disastrous run to the end of the season. Maybe we were overachieving at that stage but if we had been consisten with our bad form all season I believe that would have relegated us.
I agree that it is a tall order to achieve consisten European status but that was the supposed Fosun projection.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steve the only reason I said achieving top six was because we actually had the points and then went on a disastrous run to the end of the season. Maybe we were overachieving at that stage but if we had been consisten with our bad form all season I believe that would have relegated us.
I agree that it is a tall order to achieve consisten European status but that was the supposed Fosun projection.
I don’t think it was a sustainable run in all fairness and undoubtedly (and indeed worryingly) our form fell off a cliff and hasn’t yet recovered. Lots of reasons for that and it’s a very early days work in progress this season for sure. The negatives even Stevie wonder can see, but plenty brush over the positives and indeed (minor) green shoots of recovery. Anyway I digress……..

I imagine in fosuns mind the plan is still European football however a) it’s a much harder job than they envisaged and b) the goal posts continually move with clubs like Newcastle having ridiculous finances and then clubs like West Ham’s progression which no one expected.

One thing I’m sure everyone can agree on is that we all want to see better football and better results.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cloughie was indeed a great, however he didn’t seem to mind agents when he met them on service station car parks with envelopes full of cash
I didn't know that, well he kept that in his SHELL didn't he, or was that the name of the service station LOL

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still not heard anything from Sellars for weeks now. Normally he comments on players leaving and signing but other people at the club appear to be doing this instead of him.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep we have the best team that hasn't won a match for how long? It doesn't matter how good they are it is about how well they play and are they getting better or worse.
As for the youth team how many players have progressed to play for the first team? Even MGW had to move away to be coached by another team boss to find some form. We dont play them.

Oops my bad on this one. I was judging it by the first team. Silly me. Although I have noticed how many players have come through the youth teams and are playing regularly in the first team.
I would be very interested to see you put up a stronger and realistic view.

Talking about youth team only :

Come on @Oldgold Wolfcub you know things aren’t as black and white as that in terms of recognising the academy is better than it’s been for ages. It is possible to see we’ve got one of the best youth teams we’ve ever had and still not have many featuring in the first team. it is moving in the right direction and the amount of minutes the kids are getting out on loan at better levels than previously backs that up, promotion supports that, getting to the premier league cup final supports that.

The lack of minutes for youth team players in our team is down to:

A) frankly how poor the youth players were before Fosun (it takes time to correct that)
B) our speed of progression at 1st team level (makes correcting A even harder)
C) the fact that 97% of premier league academy players NEVER play a single minute of 1st team football - what you see at Wolves is not unusual.

*Are we the finished article academy wise? No.
*Would I like to see academy products making up a proportion of the team like Arsenal or Chelsea?.. hell yeah
*does the fact that we have very few academy products playing for our first team mean our academy isn’t in the best position it’s been? No!

Last edited:

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still not heard anything from Sellars for weeks now. Normally he comments on players leaving and signing but other people at the club appear to be doing this instead of him.

He's commented on the OS for the Sasa & Traore deals

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talking about youth team only :

Come on @Oldgold Wolfcub you know things aren’t as black and white as that in terms of recognising the academy is better than it’s been for ages. It is possible to see we’ve got one of the best youth teams we’ve ever had and still not have many featuring in the first team. it is moving in the right direction and the amount of minutes the kids are getting out on loan at better levels than previously backs that up, promotion supports that, getting to the premier league cup final supports that.

The lack of minutes for youth team players in our team is down to:

A) frankly how poor the youth players were before Fosun (it takes time to correct that)
B) our speed of progression at 1st team level (makes correcting A even harder)
C) the fact that 97% of premier league academy players NEVER play a single minute of 1st team football - what you see at Wolves is not unusual.

*Are we the finished article academy wise? No.
*Would I like to see academy products making up a proportion of the team like Arsenal or Chelsea?.. hell yeah
*does the fact that we have very few academy products playing for our first team mean our academy isn’t in the best position it’s been? No!
Giant.............I will always see things as black...................and old gold. :D
The above are replies to statements and questions asked. If asked how our (first) team is better and you get the reply coming back as to how our youth team are doing the reply to that will be different than if you are discussing the merits of the youth team objectively.
If you take the youth team then over the years we have had players who have looked good prospects and have not progressed as we hoped. At one time we were creaming ourselves at the thought of Hause and Iorfa.. Otasowie and Conor Ronan. Bright looked just that.
No we do have have a good selction of youngsters But how many chances have they had in the first team. A team that has largely under performed.
If you asked me to make an argument in favour of the youth team I would present a different one than if you asked me to give an opposite view.
It does concern me that to progress these days many youngsters have to go out on loan. I know this is a fairly common thing today but it still bemuses me that instead of being coached by the top coaches these youngsters are having to go to a lower club to get experience. It suits some but not all.
Not an easy best solution granted but I am not doom and gloom about the now 'reserve' team. One thing I would like to see though is more of our better and more experienced players given games so that if they are called upon to be called up for the first team they are more match fit. Training alone does not ensure that a player will improve.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Giant.............I will always see things as black...................and old gold. :D
The above are replies to statements and questions asked. If asked how our (first) team is better and you get the reply coming back as to how our youth team are doing the reply to that will be different than if you are discussing the merits of the youth team objectively.
If you take the youth team then over the years we have had players who have looked good prospects and have not progressed as we hoped. At one time we were creaming ourselves at the thought of Hause and Iorfa.. Otasowie and Conor Ronan. Bright looked just that.
No we do have have a good selction of youngsters But how many chances have they had in the first team. A team that has largely under performed.
If you asked me to make an argument in favour of the youth team I would present a different one than if you asked me to give an opposite view.
It does concern me that to progress these days many youngsters have to go out on loan. I know this is a fairly common thing today but it still bemuses me that instead of being coached by the top coaches these youngsters are having to go to a lower club to get experience. It suits some but not all.
Not an easy best solution granted but I am not doom and gloom about the now 'reserve' team. One thing I would like to see though is more of our better and more experienced players given games so that if they are called upon to be called up for the first team they are more match fit. Training alone does not ensure that a player will improve.
Fair dos…

Re going out on loan…. to be honest the step up is too much and the risk:reward is too much for a premier league team (unless the player is head and shoulders above eg Foden). Loans offer something u21s football doesn’t and also (on the basis most academy players don’t play for their first team as per my previous post) it actually gives them a taste of life away from, what for many, has been what they know for the previous 3-10 years. I guess a bit like a secondment at work or work experience as a kid at school.

In some cases the player gets the benefit of both (first team on loan and coaches at their parent club)… they often spend the start of the week with Wolves and as match day approaches spend time in that first team environment at their loan club.

Different things for different players.

Paddy Wolf

Reaction score
You took issue with me saying that the quality of the first team and the youth team are the best they've been in decades.

I was stating that Sellars as the technical director deserves praise for his part in that.

Just to be clear, do you dispute that?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You took issue with me saying that the quality of the first team and the youth team are the best they've been in decades.

I was stating that Sellars as the technical director deserves praise for his part in that.

Just to be clear, do you dispute that?
How long has Sellars been here? How many Young players are playing in our first team?
As for the first team how long is it since we have own a match?
Just to clarify things no I do not think Sellars deserves praise considering the resources he has had. We were on an upwards curve and in the last three or so seasons have seen a decline in results and playing ability under Sellars and Shi.

Paddy Wolf

Reaction score
How long has Sellars been here? How many Young players are playing in our first team?
As for the first team how long is it since we have own a match?
Just to clarify things no I do not think Sellars deserves praise considering the resources he has had. We were on an upwards curve and in the last three or so seasons have seen a decline in results and playing ability under Sellars and Shi.
Why do you find it hard to be positive about the club you pretend to support?

A poor spell of form does not disguise the fact that this is a great time to be a Wolves fan. The club is in rude health.

Back
Top Bottom