Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Scott Sellars discuss .....

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
His first name and surname start with the same letter - it's got a nice ring to it. Other than that...

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The **** is this? Bring players in, get praised, don't, get slated.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talk about scraping the barrel.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mix’s shortest thread record attempt?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Florida - Jan 1999 - 2 week holiday

In a world without a phone in every pocket. Me and my Granddad walk to the local shop to buy a newspaper to see how Wolves got on in their FA Cup 3R game at Bolton.

2-1 win.

Keane brace.

Bolton's goal?... Scott Sellars.

Always stuck with me that. Until a few years ago it was the only thing his name meant to me.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He was a very good midfielder.

I’m terms of his role at Wolves he’s in a bit of a lose/lose situation. Good signings are down to Mendes favours, not-so-good or lack of activity = Sellars fault.

Since he’s been at the club we’ve signed some good players and some average ones. Pretty much like when Thelwell was here. Thelwell was also ridiculed but hasn’t done too bad for himself since moving on.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was a very good midfielder.

I’m terms of his role at Wolves he’s in a bit of a lose/lose situation. Good signings are down to Mendes favours, not-so-good or lack of activity = Sellars fault.

Since he’s been at the club we’ve signed some good players and some average ones. Pretty much like when Thelwell was here. Thelwell was also ridiculed but hasn’t done too bad for himself since moving on.
That was the reason for opening this discussion.
I only hear flak. But never any good things, they get drowned out, by the all important transfer inactivity.
You cant make a fair appraisal if his strengths are never discussed.
There must be ITK guys who know his strengths .

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That was the reason for opening this discussion.
I only hear flak. But never any good things, they get drowned out, by the all important transfer inactivity.
You cant make a fair appraisal if his strengths are never discussed.
There must be ITK guys who know his strengths .
He has no strengths.

I played Championship Manager ‘94, signed some greats for a pittance and won the European Cup with Wolves. Sellars can’t get us to finish above mid table in the premier league with billions at his disposal. Chancer. Absolute chancer.

It’d be better if Dalrymple was back.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Like who? Genuinely interested who you think are the stars coming out of the academy.
First, I never said "stars" - I said "promising talent." Whether they make it big time remains to be seen, but I would say that many will generate revenue for the Academy.

Second, for those who follow the U18 & U23 thread, there is no doubt that the quality in the Academy has improved over the last 4-5 years.

So...who? I would say the following are very promising in order of readiness for the first team (ages in parens):

Luke Cundle (20)
Chem Campbell (19)
Hugo Bueno (19)
Theo Corbeanu (20)
Nigel Lonwijk (19)
Dexter Lembikisa (18)
Joe Hodge (19)
Nathan Fraser (20)
Tyler Roberts (18)
Owen Farmer (17)

Others that you could argue have strong potential - Meritan Shabani (23), Christian Marques (19), Harvey Griffiths (18), Louie Moulden (20), Ollie Tipton (18), Harry Birtwistle (18). I may have missed others.

Giles and Sanderson will go on to have good Championship careers. Ronan will do alright.

Lastly, the club has invested strongly in the Academy - better fields, training and medical, and better support for the athlete.

Most of the list of players will be good enough to play at the Championship level (assuming no injuries and continued development); some have potential for the Premier League.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Post here and nothing negative please .
Fair and decent intentions.
Considering the hostility Sellars gets on here, ( have no idea if most wolves fans are that hostile), I salute your courage on starting this thread.

At the end of the day, he is one of us and trying to improve the Wolves organization.
Sure, people may not like his or the club’s policies but that’s just business and has no bearing on his intelligence, work ethic or conscientiousness.

Last edited:

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He and I share the same awesome first name. Thats all I’ve got really tbh

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I don't go along with all the adverse negative criticism of him.
Excellent work with the Academy, since he was involved. Which is reaping its rewards.

Mixers criticise his first team recruitment, without knowing any concrete, behind the scenes hard facts., of all parties involved.

He continues to get my positive vote!

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The academy is in BY FAR the best state that it's been in during my 34 years of Wolves loving.

If he gets criticised for a lack of transfer activity, he has to take the plaudits for the growth of the academy.

I don't really know what skillset is required to be a Sporting Director, but I'd wager it's very different to the skillset required to be an Academy Director.

However talented an electrician may be, you wouldn't ask him to do the plumbing.

He comes across as smug and he's presided over a downturn in transfer quality. Whether or not that's down to a lack of ability/connections on his part, or as part of a Fosun directive to keep things lean, we shall never know.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don't get the criticism of him to be honest he has almost zero influence over how much money is available to spend and zero influence over who Mendes wants to play for us.

When Nuno was here Thelwall was in the same position, our recruitment team would propose players but Nuno (and I assume Jeff) always went with the Mendes option.

I think he can take a lot of credit for the academy and probably does have a lot of targets for UK based kids, but if Jeff is not buying there is very little he can do.

I have heard people pull out Cutrone as a example of how carp he is. But no transfer is risk free. I also thought he was an excellent prospect, it just didn't work as you are dealing with human beings.

I do think he comes over as a bit grumpy and gruff. But other than that he does what Jeff let's him do and that is pretty much the academy - which has improved dramatically and will certainly provide a supply of championship quality players.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose he could be seen as a great example of being promoted to a level of incompetence.

Stourwolf

Reaction score
Why has he got a job.he clearly has no input or say who we are pretending to sign.may aswell not have a sporting director,,,save some more money !!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom