Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Santiago Bueno Signing

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not a misunderstanding, we'd be taking out an attacking midfielder/wide forward for a centre half.

As I said, when done right it can be effective, so we're in agreement there. But we all know in the league it would be a flat back five with Lemina and Gomes mopping up and then the front three trying to nick something.

Just a shame it's been years and we've never been able to consistently move away from it successfully.
I think the difference is that we now have an attacking RWB again (Doc) who is better in the role than Semedo, and we also have more mobile midfielders, including ball carriers, who are happy to bring the ball out of midfield rather than just looking for the long pass to the wing backs or Adama as our only tactic.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
5 atb doesn't have to be defensive. Our current FBs/WBs with some freedom could be very impactful particularly with a more mobile and energetic midfield. Suits Doc, Bueno and RAN a lot more and also our CBs. Semedo is a funny as I'm never quite sure if he's a full back or wingback but I actually like him either way so I don't mind.

Some back 4 tactics are a lot more negative and boring.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ryanair from Girona landing at BHX in five minutes.
Who's at the airport?
There was also a Cessna private jet that was scheduled to leave Girona around 1320 so that might be our boy… depends if he’s gone budget or luxury!

Edit: estimated to land around 1428 and then on to Hanover and finally Leeds

Reg: D-IENE

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There was also a Cessna private jet that was scheduled to leave Girona around 1320 so that might be our boy… depends if he’s gone budget or luxury!
@Alienwolf already confirmed which flight he is on. Don’t know how they do it but they are very accurate when it comes to flight info.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s already landed
Enso arriving at BHX.

F4xvzMAWIAAYBu4

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not a misunderstanding, we'd be taking out an attacking midfielder/wide forward for a centre half.

As I said, when done right it can be effective, so we're in agreement there. But we all know in the league it would be a flat back five with Lemina and Gomes mopping up and then the front three trying to nick something.

Just a shame it's been years and we've never been able to consistently move away from it successfully.
This. A back 3/5 can work, and did up to a point under Nuno. But we ain't got the players for it now, not to be our default system anyway. We've brought in less talented defensive midfielders, have an older Doc, left backs who aren't as good defensively as Jonny was, centre forwards who won't be as good on the break as Raul and Jota were, and no Traore. I'm not against using it to contain teams sometimes but I don't think it's the right system for our team.

Oh, and 'the front 3 trying to nick something' encapsulates what we've been like for a few seasons now!

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We desperately need some defensive options, so hopefully this happens, and he is decent.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wiki says 186cm, another site has 190. It’s always the shortest you see, isn’t it.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I posted this on the "Palace Line Up" thread:

I know we "only" played Blackpool last night but it seems that we were more comfortable with a back 3 and it doesnt have to be defensive at all.
I just think that many of our players suit this system better than in a back 4:
Kilman seems to need the confidence that the extra CB gives him, and also gives him licence to bring the ball out occasionally
Toti is powerful, quick and good in the air, and can cover the LB side well.
Dawson is not quick but reads the game well - 3 atb covers for his lack of pace.
Doc and RAN/ Bueno are very effective wing backs and far less effective full backs
Lemina, Cunha, Gomes, Boubacar and Sarabia can all play a ball winning role in midfield and carry the ball out; and we are more solid with 3 in central midfield
Fabio and Sasa seem to feed off each other well and will benefit from the wing back support and Cunha/ Sarabia breaking from deep
This system does leave Neto out on a limb, but could still be an effective substitute to bring on to try to change a game, much as we used to with Adama.
Lets stick with 3 atb - it suits us.
Genuine as i didn’t watch the game but I understand they managed many shots on goal, were they speculative or was our 3 not solid?

Back
Top Bottom