Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Santiago Bueno Signing

T

TheConcourse

I posted this on the "Palace Line Up" thread:

I know we "only" played Blackpool last night but it seems that we were more comfortable with a back 3 and it doesnt have to be defensive at all.
I just think that many of our players suit this system better than in a back 4:
Kilman seems to need the confidence that the extra CB gives him, and also gives him licence to bring the ball out occasionally
Toti is powerful, quick and good in the air, and can cover the LB side well.
Dawson is not quick but reads the game well - 3 atb covers for his lack of pace.
Doc and RAN/ Bueno are very effective wing backs and far less effective full backs
Lemina, Cunha, Gomes, Boubacar and Sarabia can all play a ball winning role in midfield and carry the ball out; and we are more solid with 3 in central midfield
Fabio and Sasa seem to feed off each other well and will benefit from the wing back support and Cunha/ Sarabia breaking from deep
This system does leave Neto out on a limb, but could still be an effective substitute to bring on to try to change a game, much as we used to with Adama.
Lets stick with 3 atb - it suits us.
Spot on mate.

Our CM’s have a solid engine, so essentially your CB’s can push forward and we could be attacking with 7 at times.

It has to be the way forward.

Tbf to O’Neil, I really liked his tactical switch with Semedo playing as a CB on Saturday at times.

He was visibly playing inside as a RCB, and I think it worked well for him. I don’t think that’s his long-term position, but agree with everything you say, having CB’s who can bring the ball out and play is huge for us. We don’t use it anywhere near enough.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on mate.

Our CM’s have a solid engine, so essentially your CB’s can push forward and we could be attacking with 7 at times.

It has to be the way forward.

Tbf to O’Neil, I really liked his tactical switch with Semedo playing as a CB on Saturday at times.

He was visibly playing inside as a RCB, and I think it worked well for him. I don’t think that’s his long-term position, but agree with everything you say, having CB’s who can bring the ball out and play is huge for us. We don’t use it anywhere near enough.

Maybe a back 3 of Semedo, Kilman and Toti, with Doc and RAN/ Bueno as wing backs is a pacier defensive line up? Hadnt thought of Semedo as a RCB!
Not sure who "the talker" is with those 3 though!

T

TheConcourse

Maybe a back 3 of Semedo, Kilman and Toti, with Doc and RAN/ Bueno as wing backs is a pacier defensive line up? Hadnt thought of Semedo as a RCB!
I’ve always fancied Semedo as a DM tbh. He’s got a good engine, can carry the ball really well, and has largely been very good 1v1.

But yeah, hopefully 2 additional CB’s will see something like a return to a back 3.

Arc

Groupie
Reaction score
3 at the back may suit us better with the players we have. We did very well with it for the first few seasons in the prem under nuno although eventually I remember all wolves fans calling for a switch to a back 4 to progress as a team when that 3 at the back started becoming too defensive and boring

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Could do with a centre back sweeping up in the three with the ability to organise and pick out passes to counter the press. Now where could we get one of those?

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
SANTI, SANTI BUENO, SANTI BUENO, SANTI SANTI BUENO.....

HUGO, HUGO BUENO, HUGO BUENO, HUGO HUGO BUENO.....
Bueno and Bueno

So good they named them twice!

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just can't shake ourselves off reverting to three at the back can we.

Appreciate it can be effective when done right (and under Nuno is was obviously excellent) but ultimately it takes an attacker out of the team for a centre half. Bit frustrating really.

But it's not happened yet so let's see.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like a right footed Kilman on the video

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could this guy mean that Max is going afterall?
We will find out in a few days

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s hope so Jade. Let the good times roll.

We felt way more attacking and efficient in a back three with WB’s playing higher.

Shame we’re going to lose Nunes, because he could have been the key in that brilliant Nuno side to unlock teams in tighter games.
Exactly.

Three CB’s and wingbacks doesn’t mean negative defensive footy…. That is the hilarious misconception.

I love wingback play! Overlapping runs with forwards and it allows for more bodies in the box.

Also who didn’t love the quick counters down the flanks and back stick runs by DOC in the Nuno era? We did it last night and the legend got two on his second debut lol

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 at the back may suit us better with the players we have. We did very well with it for the first few seasons in the prem under nuno although eventually I remember all wolves fans calling for a switch to a back 4 to progress as a team when that 3 at the back started becoming too defensive and boring
Yeah, well I am not happy about the way we have supposedly "progressed" since going to a back 4!

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Appreciate it can be effective when done right (and under Nuno is was obviously excellent) but ultimately it takes an attacker out of the team for a centre half. Bit frustrating really.

I dont agree with that; I see it as increasing our attacking options because we have forward thinking wing backs as well as 3 in the middle of the park to win the midfield battle and launch fwd from there. We did that in our first two seasons in the PL

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, well I am not happy about the way we have supposedly "progressed" since going to a back 4!
The 5 at the back wasn’t broken….. it just needed to have a refresh and update the squad.

New players would have given a lift or new abilities if we upgraded well that could and should have elevated our successful strategy and game plan.

I welcome 5 at the back, it would also probably help us see the best of semedo!!! He is a player more suited to 5 at the back in the prem. I would wager he is more consistent in a 5 than a 4.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wasn't all fans, I never once called for a switch to a back four.

I loved our system and thought what we needed was some better players not a tactical overhaul.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is the big misunderstanding. It does not necessarily take an attacker out of the game at all. Three at the back could mean one less defender for example... It all depends on set up, personnel, intention. It's still 11 vs 11.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Santiago Dawson Kilman
Semedo/Doc Gomes Lemina Traore/newbie Ait Nouri/Bueno
Cunha Silva/Kaladjzic

Only problem is fitting in Neto somehow who we need to play regularly.....
We are always much more comfortable with three at the back especially against the best teams. Playing a high line back four is fraught with risk as Brighton vividly proved. Dawson, in particular, and Kilman are not the fastest....Coady's departure does not mean we have to abandon what worked so well under Nuno for three seasons.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Santiago Dawson Kilman
Semedo/Doc Gomes Lemina Traore/newbie Ait Nouri/Bueno
Cunha Silva/Kaladjzic

Only problem is fitting in Neto somehow who we need to play regularly.....
We are always much more comfortable with three at the back especially against the best teams. Playing a high line back four is fraught with risk as Brighton vividly proved. Dawson, in particular, and Kilman are not the fastest....Coady's departure does not mean we have to abandon what worked so well under Nuno for three seasons.
How much better and more stable when you lay a starting 11 and replacements in That formation…..

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the big misunderstanding. It does not necessarily take an attacker out of the game at all. Three at the back could mean one less defender for example... It all depends on set up, personnel, intention. It's still 11 vs 11.

It's not a misunderstanding, we'd be taking out an attacking midfielder/wide forward for a centre half.

As I said, when done right it can be effective, so we're in agreement there. But we all know in the league it would be a flat back five with Lemina and Gomes mopping up and then the front three trying to nick something.

Just a shame it's been years and we've never been able to consistently move away from it successfully.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont agree with that; I see it as increasing our attacking options because we have forward thinking wing backs as well as 3 in the middle of the park to win the midfield battle and launch fwd from there. We did that in our first two seasons in the PL

And the third, fourth and fifth seasons in the PL? Albeit admittedly Julen tried to move away from 5 last season. When set up right it can be great, but we've had almost three years of it not being done right, so difficult to feel enthused by the thought.

We haven't played well consistently for a few years so maybe it's not the formation any way!

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s on it :D
Let's hope Santiago is and hopefully he is fit to pass the medical as I read somewhere that he didn't play in the first 2 games (hamstring Injury) for Girona this season and was on the bench for their last game?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What we have done so far is replaced a defender with a defensive midfielder and then when that hasn't worked replaced more attackers with more defensive midfielders and repeat until you have no forward players left.

SuziQ

Reaction score

Kilman was doing a lot of talking last night during the game. Was sat in the NB lower and could hear him organising the defence during the 2nd half, especially when Blackpool had a corner.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman was doing a lot of talking last night during the game. Was sat in the NB lower and could hear him organising the defence during the 2nd half, especially when Blackpool had a corner.
Kilman does talk in games, you can see him and Dawson are always talking to each other and the closest defender.

he just doesn’t bellow it out for the world and entire ground to hear like coady used to.

Just because you don’t hear it in the stands, doesn’t mean it isn’t happening on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom