Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ryan Nelson's move to Spurs...

V Wolf

Reaction score
Have just seen that he is due to move to Spurs as a free agent after having had his contract cancelled by Blackburn. I've wondered before whether "deals" could still be done this way outside of the transfer window but just assumed that there would be checks in place to stop it as it seems a fairly large loophole.

Just wondered where we would stand if the following played out for example:

Transfer deadline day we express and interest in "Player X" but can't complete the deal before the window closes. The next morning "Player X" buys his way out of his contract for £2m before signing for us as a free agent the next afternoon with a signing on fee of (surprise, surprise) £2m.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
yep free agents don't have to be signed before deadline day

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Have just seen that he is due to move to Spurs as a free agent after having had his contract cancelled by Blackburn. I've wondered before whether "deals" could still be done this way outside of the transfer window but just assumed that there would be checks in place to stop it as it seems a fairly large loophole.

Just wondered where we would stand if the following played out for example:

Transfer deadline day we express and interest in "Player X" but can't complete the deal before the window closes. The next morning "Player X" buys his way out of his contract for £2m before signing for us as a free agent the next afternoon with a signing on fee of (surprise, surprise) £2m.
A player has to be a free agent when the window closes.

V Wolf

Reaction score
I get the part about being able to sign free agents at any point regardless of the window. My point was that the above is still a £2m transfer in all but name (we pay £2m, the player's club recieve £2m) and yet is done outside of the window because of the way it is handled.

B

bridgnorthwolf

I get the part about being able to sign free agents at any point regardless of the window. My point was that the above is still a £2m transfer in all but name (we pay £2m, the player's club recieve £2m) and yet is done outside of the window because of the way it is handled.

I doubt you'll see it happen very often. In the case of Nelsen last night it happened because the transfer was happening very late in the day and all the paperwork wouldn't have been completed in time for Bassong to be loaned out to us as well, which they were keen to do.

It just allowed them to get Bassong out and bought them some extra time to sort the Nelsen deal out.

E

Essex Wolf

This is truly something to look forward to and get extremely excited about. :rolleyes:

Mick still has every chance of signing Fotheringham.:eek:

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Does it really have to happen during the transfer window. I mean does the player really have to be free agent during the window to be signed by other team?

Slightly OT but wouldn't mind Nelsen coming to us. A proper defender and a proper captain. Yes, he'll soon be 34 but still should have at least 2-3 years in him.

Back
Top Bottom