Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ryan Giles

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are sticking with Semedo at right back, I would be very worried about starting Bueno, Giles or RAN at left back long term. It’s leaving our centre backs extremely exposed, that’s why Toti came in to left back. I think we’d take a few more hammerings like the Brighton and Arsenal games if we continue like that because we’d lack balance.

Four options as I see it:
  1. Back five - Lessens defensive responsibilities of the wingbacks, leaves us less exposed for lack of pace (Dawson). Doesn’t seem too likely if we sell three centre backs unless we are vastly underestimating the extent of change this summer.
  2. Toti stays at left back and we ideally upgrade on Semedo - Ridle Baku fits the mould of attacking right back with an end product. Toti provides balance as we can shift into a back three when the right back gets forward.
  3. Sign a “defensive” right back - If you look at the top sides that play in a back four, most of them are playing with ball playing centre backs at full back, with one wing back on the other side. Dan Burn and Trippier, Joel Veltman and Pervis Estupinan, Ben White and Oleksandr Zinchenko. Mavropanos or Wan-Bissaka could play in this role.
  4. Sign a tall holding midfielder that can flex as a centre back - Liverpool rely on Fabinho dropping in to create a back three with Robertson and Alexander-Arnold marauding forward at will. It’s easier to find a centre back that can play as a right back.

Another option would be to start 433, but create the attacking overloads in the same way Man City have started doing by going to a 3-2-4-1

This would involve a centre back (preferably a new one!) squeezing up into midfield (Stones role), with Dawson staying in the middle (like Dias), and Semedo and Toti being wider centre backs in a 3 (like two of Walker/Ake and Akanji). This in turn would push on our central defensive midfielder (Rodri role), as well as our two outside central midfielders.

I just want the friendlies to start to now to give us more of an idea of how we are going to set up!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another option would be to start 433, but create the attacking overloads in the same way Man City have started doing by going to a 3-2-4-1

This would involve a centre back (preferably a new one!) squeezing up into midfield (Stones role), with Dawson staying in the middle (like Dias), and Semedo and Toti being wider centre backs in a 3 (like two of Walker/Ake and Akanji). This in turn would push on our central defensive midfielder (Rodri role), as well as our two outside central midfielders.

I just want the friendlies to start to now to give us more of an idea of how we are going to set up!
It would certainly help to get an idea of formation wouldn’t it. Find it hard to believe we’ll continue with this hybrid 442 once Julen has the players in to suit his preferred system, which was a 433 at Sevilla.

The 3-2-4-1 puts a huge emphasis on those centre backs being able to deal with 1v1’s, which is much easier to do when you have Dias, Akanji, Ake, Laporte, Stones who are all quick and excellent in 1v1 situations. I wouldn’t envision it with Semedo as a centre back at all, in my opinion.

When you know you have to play the top six plus Brighton and Newcastle in 16 of your 38 games, I think you have to be defensive minded in your approach first and foremost or you’ll quickly be cut adrift. Julen is a defence-first coach that will prioritise clean sheets over vintage football, which is what will set us up best for success, in my opinion, as it did under Nuno.

I think he’ll continue to set us up to be hard to beat, rather than free scoring. Signing a centre forward that can thrive with their back to goal should help to improve the form of our other forwards, like Neto, Cunha, Sarabia, Hwang and Chiquinho. It’s also hopefully going to give the likes of Giles and Bueno a target to aim for in the box. Sasa should help with all of the above, but in no way should we be relying on him as first choice after two ACL injuries, anything from him should be viewed as an added bonus.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It would certainly help to get an idea of formation wouldn’t it. Find it hard to believe we’ll continue with this hybrid 442 once Julen has the players in to suit his preferred system, which was a 433 at Sevilla.

The 3-2-4-1 puts a huge emphasis on those centre backs being able to deal with 1v1’s, which is much easier to do when you have Dias, Akanji, Ake, Laporte, Stones who are all quick and excellent in 1v1 situations. I wouldn’t envision it with Semedo as a centre back at all, in my opinion.

When you know you have to play the top six plus Brighton and Newcastle in 16 of your 38 games, I think you have to be defensive minded in your approach first and foremost or you’ll quickly be cut adrift. Julen is a defence-first coach that will prioritise clean sheets over vintage football, which is what will set us up best for success, in my opinion, as it did under Nuno.

I think he’ll continue to set us up to be hard to beat, rather than free scoring. Signing a centre forward that can thrive with their back to goal should help to improve the form of our other forwards, like Neto, Cunha, Sarabia, Hwang and Chiquinho. It’s also hopefully going to give the likes of Giles and Bueno a target to aim for in the box. Sasa should help with all of the above, but in no way should we be relying on him as first choice after two ACL injuries, anything from him should be viewed as an added bonus.
I think city’s 3241, is basically 343 (3421) but with proper out and out forward players in the wingback positions.
We wouldn’t be able to play quite that way, but it does show how the back 3 can be deployed with attacking intent. Chiquinho as rwb and Bueno or Giles at lwb would be my preference with our current squad.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Just hope the lad gets his chance with the boss during pre season as let’s be honest we’ve been starved of anyone with a quality delivery for bloody ages.
Very true. Literally nobody has considered a low hard ball into the danger zone, regardless of who we have attcking the ball, or not as the case often has been.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only thing I’d say is take Haaland out the equation how many “old school” goals do you see from goals scored from crosses in the EPL? There’s not a huge amount. The defenders are obvious better and the vast majority play with a solitary centre forward so there’s rarely enough players in the box for it.
I expect you're correct but for me we will not score anyway fannying about out wide or going back to HW; if we do cross we could score?

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will repeat the question exactly as I put it - " I am asking posters if they think he is good enough and why ?"
He's got a worldie of a left foot. Not sure whether he's good enough for the PL, and I don't think he'll ever be good enough as a traditional left back, but I'd love to see a Telford lad given the chance.

If Silva had scored as many as Giles created for a Championship side we'd all be salivating at the prospect of bringing him back.

Milijas

Reaction score
As others have said, Giles wouldn't be good in a back 4. But if we played a back 3 and I'm not talking a back 5. Think him and chiquinho on either flank would be perfect. Especially if sasa can stay fit.

Gk
Kilman Dawson toti
Chiquinho Gomes Lemina giles
Nunes
Raul/new Sasa

We should try and buy another aerial threat upfront and just loft it in. Get some unit in there. Raul of old would be good but get some heskey/akinfenwa style lump. It won't be be pretty but imagine trying to defend against a 6'7ft giant and a massive meatball.

Nunes to arrive just behind said giant and meatball. Tell giant and meatball to stay in box pretty much whole game.. sorted!

Lemina and gomes can cover a back 3.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You need the right forwards for that. Sasa is but then we don’t know about fits. Raul absolutely was but he’s either broken or doesn’t want to be here, I can’t see the rest doing much on the end of a cross.
Exactly this! How many times do our wide players pass backwards because there's no one in the box?!!

Rowzed

Reaction score
As others have said, Giles wouldn't be good in a back 4. But if we played a back 3 and I'm not talking a back 5. Think him and chiquinho on either flank would be perfect. Especially if sasa can stay fit.

Gk
Kilman Dawson toti
Chiquinho Gomes Lemina giles
Nunes
Raul/new Sasa

We should try and buy another aerial threat upfront and just loft it in. Get some unit in there. Raul of old would be good but get some heskey/akinfenwa style lump. It won't be be pretty but imagine trying to defend against a 6'7ft giant and a massive meatball.

Nunes to arrive just behind said giant and meatball. Tell giant and meatball to stay in box pretty much whole game.. sorted!

Lemina and gomes can cover a back 3.
That’s footballing genius. I can‘t for the life of me understand why your tactical nous has lain unacknowledged so long, it beats me why you aren’t on Julen’s staff, perhaps the new Matt Hobbs even. :)

Milijas

Reaction score
That’s footballing genius. I can‘t for the life of me understand why your tactical nous has lain unacknowledged so long, it beats me why you aren’t on Julen’s staff, perhaps the new Matt Hobbs even. :)
Wouldn't leave my position as a football manager.. in the 14th tier

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMO we do need "a defensively strong" right back as Semedo is good going forward but well nigh useless defending...

I'd say Semedo is better defensively then he is going forward. He looks nice on the ball, but offers zero in terms of goals, assists or creating chances.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would have liked to see him in and around our squad this season, not as a full back but as a wide forward, could have been useful off the bench crossing on to Sasa's head, hopefully another one we put a nice sell on clause for

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he could have been an excellent option for us in a back 3 system.
But the way we look like playing he presumably isn’t deemed a good enough defender and the forward players need to have a bit more to their game than just excellent crossing ability.

If the fee is indeed only £5M I hope there are at least some add ons and clauses that will likely double that.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Giles is a bit like Collins in so far as they both need to be playing in order to develop.
If Lopetegui feels they are down the pecking order then it is the right thing (for their own sakes) to let them leave.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’d imagine a hefty sell on clause will be in it.

Possibly a buy back clause aswell maybe... would be sensible.

Fortunately or Unfortunately we have 3 very good young left backs in Bueno, Giles and Ait Nouri add in Toti and Jonny and we are very well stocked for left backs. Can see potentially Jonny and Ait Nouri been moved on and Cresswell coming in to add some experience.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A massive mistake if we sell this lad for 5 million. I’d prefer to sell RAN and keep Giles, criminal if he isn’t given a go

I beg to differ, Giles has been given a go (on loan) and he has a lot to improve defensively, granted he offers something going forward but if he is weak defensively in the Championship then that will be even more so in the Premier, as for the fee I would have thought 5 million is a decent fee for where Giles is.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Full backs. First and foremost have to be able to defend. He’s way down the list here. Maybe as an attacker but he wouldn’t get the space he gets in the Championship to be effective. You have to trust the manager.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
If he goes to Luton we will soon see if he is up to Prem standard. He obviously thinks he can make the grade and Rob Edwards has seen enough to give him the chance.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he goes to Luton we will soon see if he is up to Prem standard. He obviously thinks he can make the grade and Rob Edwards has seen enough to give him the chance.
I think he could develop under Rob.. he will get his shot. He won’t get a shot here.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL obviously thinks he’s either

- not up to it
- doesn’t fit his system/style.

Best get a decent fee in with a sell.
Not sure £5M is a decent fee tbh. Bristol £25M for Scott, Gyokeres went for approx £18M, MGW was sold for £27M plus add ins etc.
Now, I get that a LWB will not command the same fee as an AM or striker but, come on, Giles has to be worth £10M plus add ons, surely?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rather than sell him for £5m, if he ain’t in Julen’s plans then just loan him to Luton for the season. If he performs well he’s worth a lot more, if he doesn’t then he’s still a proven Championship assist machine and his value won’t have dropped from £5m. It’s peanuts these days!

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rather than sell him for £5m, if he ain’t in Julen’s plans then just loan him to Luton for the season. If he performs well he’s worth a lot more, if he doesn’t then he’s still a proven Championship assist machine and his value won’t have dropped from £5m. It’s peanuts these days!
Ryan doesn't want (yet) another loan. He's said so. At that rate he would end up hanging his boots up still a Wolves player, and still never having kicked a ball for the first team.

Loans to:
Shrewsbury
Rotherham
Cardiff
Blackburn
Middlesbrough

Let him settle at a club, build his own career, and we protect ourselves by building in a sell-on clause.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Can’t just keep loaning and loaning players out, especially with the new restrictions.

Maybe we should have kept loaning Coady out until we appoint a manager who wants to play 3 at the back and then boom we’ve got a ready made sweeper to recall!

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In an ideal world maybe a loan to a prem team would be a logical step but he’s 23 now, the lad needs to grow and settle somewhere.

We’re also not in a world where you can just keep hold of players… there is a loan limit of 7 this season so that’s why the likes of Bolla, Kawabe, Smith, Sanderson, Sarkic and Giles are all looking to be sold. Wolves have to be much more strategic/critical with loans when the player is over 21. We’re already at 4 in the quota (5 with Chiquinho who will greatly benefit from a loan)

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
He’s had enough loans he needs a permanent move and no one is willing to pay more that 5m

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t just keep loaning and loaning players out, especially with the new restrictions.

Maybe we should have kept loaning Coady out until we appoint a manager who wants to play 3 at the back and then boom we’ve got a ready made sweeper to recall!
You can if the other option is to sell him for £5m. Coady is 31 and at the end of his career, Giles is 23 and on the up. Completely different situation.

Back
Top Bottom