Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Rumours from the pub

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Silva is one of the worst deals ever is entitled to their opinion.
But they really don’t have much of a clue about football players ;)
In the context of when he was signed and what was needed to kick-on the following season with a limited transfer budget I'd suggest he was as demonstrated by his very limited impact to-date, but each to their own.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the context of when he was signed and what was needed to kick-on the following season with a limited transfer budget I'd suggest he was as demonstrated by his very limited impact to-date, but each to their own.

With most young players, you see clear potential and you then wait a few years for it to develop - or not, it's always a gamble. With Fabio, feels like I'm still waiting for him to show some potential yet. Yes, runs around a bit, but shows nothing beyond what hundreds of young forwards show. For a fraction of the price.

His signing marked the turning point and the end of the "everything's great the future is ours" period of Fosun.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too right, probably worst two deals in my 60+ plus years supporting, Dick-le-Flem, Robert Taylor come close along with Masters, Ashley and many more, but in terms of money spent they win hands down.

Factor in inflation, and context ,surely we must hvae made far worse deals? £12M for 5 Premier league goals that have put us a couple of places higher in the league, is nothing these days. Tony Daley springs to mind as a big waste of money. The bad deals fade in memory, I bet if we really looked back over time, factor in inflation and the going price back in the day, we wasted loads of money in the 1990's on failures. While the likes of Bolton, Reading and Barnsley were overtaking us for a fraction of the prices we were paying for aged donkeys. We were a laughing stock among neutrals for blowing what was then ridiculous sums for a level 2 club on rubbish. Nobody other than Wolves fans desperate for a scapegoat, thinks Hwang is "one of the worst deals of all time".

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Factor in inflation, and context ,surely we must hvae made far worse deals? £12M for 5 Premier league goals that have put us a couple of places higher in the league, is nothing these days. Tony Daley springs to mind as a big waste of money. The bad deals fade in memory, I bet if we really looked back over time, factor in inflation and the going price back in the day, we wasted loads of money in the 1990's on failures. While the likes of Bolton, Reading and Barnsley were overtaking us for a fraction of the prices we were paying for aged donkeys. We were a laughing stock among neutrals for blowing what was then ridiculous sums for a level 2 club on rubbish. Nobody other than Wolves fans desperate for a scapegoat, thinks Hwang is "one of the worst deals of all time".
When the signing didn't need to be confirmed in January, I disagree, would they sign him now purely based on football reasons?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When the signing didn't need to be confirmed in January, I disagree, would they sign him now purely based on football reasons?

I posted on this elsewhere here. The media at the time were reporting that Liverpool and City were interested and that it was only an "option" both ways. Terms were agreed, but the option was both ways. He could have walked away if another club offered a better offer. When a player whose been on the radar for several seasons turns up and scores 4 goals in their first 7 games, those big clubs really started paying attention.

Of course, that won't happen now. Don't get me wrong, it is a bad deal for sure and the club should have waited. I just don't think it ranks as one of our worst of the past 40 - 50 years!

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When Roma’s season ends I look forward to multiple sightings of Ainsley Maitland Niles in the WV postcode area. Obviously until it’s in Asda such sightings have to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I posted on this elsewhere here. The media at the time were reporting that Liverpool and City were interested and that it was only an "option" both ways. Terms were agreed, but the option was both ways. He could have walked away if another club offered a better offer. When a player whose been on the radar for several seasons turns up and scores 4 goals in their first 7 games, those big clubs really started paying attention.

Of course, that won't happen now. Don't get me wrong, it is a bad deal for sure and the club should have waited. I just don't think it ranks as one of our worst of the past 40 - 50 years!
If Liverpool and City were interested why did agree to sign for us?

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
Currently watching Man U's £35m "wonderkid" Diallo, in the Scottish cup final - he's on loan at Rangers. He looks lightweight, naive and has missed an absolute sitter. Based on what I've seen of Diallo during the second half of this season in Scotland, Fabio is miles ahead in his development. Although I do think a loan and regular football at a lower level for a season would do him the world of good.

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
Currently watching Man U's £35m "wonderkid" Diallo, in the Scottish cup final - he's on loan at Rangers. He looks lightweight, naive and has missed an absolute sitter. Based on what I've seen of Diallo during the second half of this season in Scotland, Fabio is miles ahead in his development. Although I do think a loan and regular football at a lower level for a season would do him the world of good.

And that's him hooked after 60 mins before he got himself sent off. Apart from getting booked for a daft foul, being given a final warning for dissent 2 mins later, and putting a header over an open goal from 5 yards out, he did absolutely nothing.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give the same credence to suggestions that City and Liverpool were interested to those still claiming the earth's flat.

Those who believe The Sun. Yep, I can agree with that alright!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Diallo cost £19.5M. Man Utd have millions to spare anyway, they can easily afford to speculate on £30M teenagers. If they fail, it will not impact them being one of the biggest clubs in the world in the slightest.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Silva is one of the worst deals ever is entitled to their opinion.
But they really don’t have much of a clue about football players ;)
True, everyone has an opinion, and we all see things in players that others miss.

For me I saw a player run around, up front, for 840 minutes this season and yet fail to score a goal.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Diallo cost £19.5M. Man Utd have millions to spare anyway, they can easily afford to speculate on £30M teenagers. If they fail, it will not impact them being one of the biggest clubs in the world in the slightest.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

According to Wikipedia/The Guy Down The Pub - Diallo starting fee £21m rising to £33m including bonuses. Fabio was an initial £35m rising to £45m with bonuses. It's a good job both us and Man U have so much money, we don't know what to do with it!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And that's him hooked after 60 mins before he got himself sent off. Apart from getting booked for a daft foul, being given a final warning for dissent 2 mins later, and putting a header over an open goal from 5 yards out, he did absolutely nothing.

But at least he was in the right place, got to admire his positioning. It's very rare for 19 year olds to have that kind of awareness. Did he run around a lot, but frequently get outpaced by defenders twice his age?

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With most young players, you see clear potential and you then wait a few years for it to develop - or not, it's always a gamble. With Fabio, feels like I'm still waiting for him to show some potential yet. Yes, runs around a bit, but shows nothing beyond what hundreds of young forwards show. For a fraction of the price.

His signing marked the turning point and the end of the "everything's great the future is ours" period of Fosun.
Summed up perfectly

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia/The Guy Down The Pub - Diallo starting fee £21m rising to £33m including bonuses. Fabio was an initial £35m rising to £45m with bonuses. It's a good job both us and Man U have so much money, we don't know what to do with it!
There are varying reports around Diallo, most quote £35m + as the fee though I think. On Silva I’ve never seen any mention of addons to be honest.

Either way, I wasn’t really looking at the comparison, just saying Diallo is almost certainly more than £19m.

LetTheBullLoose

Reaction score
Oh I will definitely agree that his signing used money that was probably more desperately needed elsewhere. But that doesn’t make him a poor signing. You can’t judge a signing fully until he’s finished/left the club surely? Will he still be one of the worst signings ever if he scores 10+ goals next season?

HowfenWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Oh I will definitely agree that his signing used money that was probably more desperately needed elsewhere. But that doesn’t make him a poor signing. You can’t judge a signing fully until he’s finished/left the club surely? Will he still be one of the worst signings ever if he scores 10+ goals next season?

A goal would be good for almost 1000 mins playing time

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pitchforks at the ready lads and lasses, I’ve got some rumours from the pub grapevine:

- Neves is packed and ready to go
- Donk wants out
- Silva also wants out but wants to stay in the PL. However, the only interest so far has been from abroad.

Release the hounds, I’ve already started running!
Is that the Northern Premier League?!?!

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man u can afford to spunk 35m on hopefuls....we couldn't/can't

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Agree with this.

TBH a lot of us wanted the signing confirmed due to his early form and the other interest. In hindsight? Mistake. At the time? A very understandable mistake to make.

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
Just woke up, got a massive hangover. Anyway I was told last night that my mates next door neighbour is friends with the local butcher and his daughter works with a woman who’s third cousin is best friends with the French teacher at the local school, and she knows the Mbappe family.
I was told the only reason Mbappe signed a new deal with PSG is because we didn’t offer him enough money. He was desperate to sign for us , he admits he’s a lifelong fan and his favourite player is Dale Rudge.
My source reckons we offered him £250, 000 p.a,, he wanted £255,0000 to sign but Shi said no. Make of that what you will.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just woke up, got a massive hangover. Anyway I was told last night that my mates next door neighbour is friends with the local butcher and his daughter works with a woman who’s third cousin is best friends with the French teacher at the local school, and she knows the Mbappe family.
I was told the only reason Mbappe signed a new deal with PSG is because we didn’t offer him enough money. He was desperate to sign for us , he admits he’s a lifelong fan and his favourite player is Dale Rudge.
My source reckons we offered him £250, 000 p.a,, he wanted £255,0000 to sign but Shi said no. Make of that what you will.

That must have been one hell of a hangover Longford!

Back
Top Bottom