Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Relegation? No chance

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand how people can't grasp the pessimism is based on performances.

I get it's unlikely, and it is, but the point of it is that we could go on this losing streak because of how we're playing. If we were playing well, it wouldn't be discussed, or certainly not as much, but the reality is that we've won three league games in three-and-a-half months, and all three had a lot of fortune to them in my opinion.

We've been a very poor team for most of this season, in my opinion.
That's true and no one has expressed that view on here more than me but we're still not going down!

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've looked very poor this season and I've been concerned. I still am. We ain't ever going down but if nuno can't get things back on track mumblings of discontent will still be there. I'm not happy with it, especially the style of play, nor are many others.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand how people can't grasp the pessimism is based on performances.

I get it's unlikely, and it is, but the point of it is that we could go on this losing streak because of how we're playing. If we were playing well, it wouldn't be discussed, or certainly not as much, but the reality is that we've won three league games in three-and-a-half months, and all three had a lot of fortune to them in my opinion.

We've been a very poor team for most of this season, in my opinion.
Ok so we disregard any bad luck or decisions we had .

We’ve been nowhere near bad enough as the bottom 5

we’ve played well generally recently yet there is this myth we have been abysmal

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

we’ve played well generally recently yet there is this myth we have been abysmal
We’ve been abysmal to watch, at times.

This season should add fuel to the fire on increasing the number of relegation places. Won’t happen while the 14 out of 20 super majority is required, but the idea of trimming down to 18 clubs has come up a couple of times too

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We have been a tough watch but very difficult to beat since Arsenal.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Would be interested to see which games you think we have been unlucky in?

Sheffield United have been atrocious for a few months now, but the **** under Allardyce recently aren't too much different than us. Newcastle are probably worse than us.

Fulham since they've had their current team, since about game 6, are not worse than us, and they've certainly played better football than us at times. I'd say we're similar to Burnley this season, inconsistent and boring to watch, which is reflected in the similar GD's.

Also, who have we played well against? Liverpool, yes, although I think it's easier to play when it's more of a free-hit, less pressure, but we did actually play well.

Second half at Villa was good, but the first half was abysmal. Newcastle wasn't good, Southampton was like Villa, City was embarrassing.

Looking back at our fixtures, only until January, I think Liverpool and Leicester are the only games where we've played well, or at least been consistent within games.

We've played well in patches of other games but disgracefully within the same game.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sheffield United have been atrocious for a few months now, but the **** under Allardyce recently aren't too much different than us. Newcastle are probably worse than us.

Fulham since they've had their current team, since about game 6, are not worse than us, and they've certainly played better football than us at times. I'd say we're similar to Burnley this season, inconsistent and boring to watch, which is reflected in the similar GD's.

Also, who have we played well against? Liverpool, yes, although I think it's easier to play when it's more of a free-hit, less pressure, but we did actually play well.

Second half at Villa was good, but the first half was abysmal. Newcastle wasn't good, Southampton was like Villa, City was embarrassing.

Looking back at our fixtures, only until January, I think Liverpool and Leicester are the only games where we've played well, or at least been consistent within games.

We've played well in patches of other games but disgracefully within the same game.
I think that's broadly fair. We went through a bizarre phase of conceding stupid goals but otherwise we have been fairly neutral with luck.

Obviously the Liverpool game last time out was unlucky as we should have at least got a point. Cheated out of a pen too

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At Christmas it looked like 35 points would be more than enough to be safe but Fulham have really picked up. If we didn't get any more points it would probably see us relegated but looking at our fixtures there's more chance of West Ham winning the league than us losing the next ten.

good job we haven’t gone on dismal 10 game runs at any other point in recent seasons :oops:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
good job we haven’t gone on dismal 10 game runs at any other point in recent seasons :oops:

We are 99% safe this season, however this is no time for complacency.

Over the last 15 matches, we are just 3 points off relegation. And that includes a mini-revival. We have problems, for sure and they need to be identified and addressed.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Don't forget that first 30 minutes of the season v Sheff Utd? We were positively electric! We were also good against Palace in the cup match too, and decent enough in the first league match, when Ait Nouri was unleashed.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Fulham have really picked up and are on a good run but the facts don't really back this up.

Super amazing entertaining Fulham's last 10 games:
Won 3, Drawn 3, Lost 4 = 12 points

Woeful terrible boring Wolves
Won 3, Drawn 4, Lost 3 = 13 points.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't forget that first 30 minutes of the season v Sheff Utd? We were positively electric! We were also good against Palace in the cup match too, and decent enough in the first league match, when Ait Nouri was unleashed.
Oh yeah, I only went back to January though, and we actually played quite well in a few games with a back four as well I thought.

However, completely understood why Nuno abandoned it as it reached a stage where the only thing that mattered was getting points quickly, no matter how we played.

After our next win (hopefully tomorrow), the performances should start to matter a bit more again.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Fulham have really picked up and are on a good run but the facts don't really back this up.

Agree but given the talent at each clubs disposal it does less to us being off and them playing very well given their potential

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread was not really about how well or badly we've played (there's been tons of those!) but in simple terms whether we would go down or stay up. We've been pretty poor imv most of the season but there have been several teams who have been consistently poorer than us all season, thank God.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes, but I keep hearing about these "woefully poor teams" .. like Fulham and that we are a different class to them. Not one measly point better! And Burnley, that woefully poor negative dour team who cling to survival with their 10 man defence. Yet we have scored only 4 more goals than them. And all it takes is Fulham to beat us on Friday and those stats you have will be better off swept under the carpet.

Seems to me the honeymoon is over and if we don't buck our ideas up, we will be in that group of "just aiming to survive" clubs like Burnley/Brighton/Fulham etc. I would love nothing more than to be made to look silly for that by us going out and having 2 convincing performances in our next 2 matches and playing Fulham off the park! But having wanted that and been let down time and time again this season...

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Yes, but I keep hearing about these "woefully poor teams" .. like Fulham and that we are a different class to them. Not one measly point better! And Burnley, that woefully poor negative dour team who cling to survival with their 10 man defence. Yet we have scored only 4 more goals than them. And all it takes is Fulham to beat us on Friday and those stats you have will be better off swept under the carpet.

Seems to me the honeymoon is over and if we don't buck our ideas up, we will be in that group of "just aiming to survive" clubs like Burnley/Brighton/Fulham etc. I would love nothing more than to be made to look silly for that by us going out and having 2 convincing performances in our next 2 matches and playing Fulham off the park! But having wanted that and been let down time and time again this season...
That's just the last 10 games, over the season we're 9 points better than them (with two games in hand)...and we're having a 'bad' season.

I was just addressing the point that i keep hearing, that Fulham have improved so much, are in good form and on a good run. We're still a lot better than them even when we're apparently terrible. Here's a more current form table over 6 games. Fulham are not on a charge.
Screenshot_20210404-223352.png

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They'll move on to another team if Fulham pick up, or ram home that Fulham aren't doing well if it can cover up other things.

Remember when we would finish above Villa, who we are comfortably better than.
Or, even better, the Leeds side managed by the overhyped Bielsa. They were useless, headless chickens and he was a myth. Why hasn't that thread been commented on for a while?

Back in the summer, Everton and West Ham were not going to do a thing either.

All of these sides have been poor on here at times. There's a common theme, it's purely deflection.

Normally, a club on our trajectory would be in that group you mention. Over the last 20 games, which is a long period to judge, we are two points above Fulham and 15th in the table.

That's over 20 games and reflected in performances. You could even strongly argue that performances don't warrant the level of points either, so it's not like we're a Brighton who are just missing chances or having things go against us. Had any other club followed this pattern, people would say they'll be battling relegation next season. Or, serious questions would be asked of the manager.

In fairness to us, the rather big thing we have in our favour is that we're without Jimenez, so that's the major hope. But is his return going to really change us that much?

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They'll move on to another team if Fulham pick up, or ram home that Fulham aren't doing well if it can cover up other things.

Remember when we would finish above Villa, who we are comfortably better than.
Or, even better, the Leeds side managed by the overhyped Bielsa. They were useless, headless chickens and he was a myth. Why hasn't that thread been commented on for a while?

Back in the summer, Everton and West Ham were not going to do a thing either.

All of these sides have been poor on here at times. There's a common theme, it's purely deflection.

Normally, a club on our trajectory would be in that group you mention. Over the last 20 games, which is a long period to judge, we are two points above Fulham and 15th in the table.

That's over 20 games and reflected in performances. You could even strongly argue that performances don't warrant the level of points either, so it's not like we're a Brighton who are just missing chances or having things go against us. Had any other club followed this pattern, people would say they'll be battling relegation next season. Or, serious questions would be asked of the manager.

In fairness to us, the rather big thing we have in our favour is that we're without Jimenez, so that's the major hope. But is his return going to really change us that much?

Yes, just look up the page. If that form table "proves" we are better than Fulham (don't get me wrong, I think we are), then what does that same table say about us and Albion?

Way I see it, there's only 2 possibilities. We are in the right place in the table at 14th or we are underachieving. Because no way are we overachieving. I guess you can argue we should be happy at 14th as it's better than mid table Championship. It's also only once place better than Mick managed with a fraction of the resources we have available now. And we have way more resources than Burnley and Brighton as well as Fulham and so on. We are underachieving, surely?

And yes, I remember people betting all sorts that we would finish ahead of Villa and Leeds. (I admit, early on I was in that group!) Now, we may, it will require a big improvement of course. Similar people assured us we'd beat Albion and questioned the sanity of anyone who dare imply it wouldn't be so easy. I never know whether they really believe it, whether it's real or fake confidence, or think that if they bluster enough , it just may happen. :)

PS Because I know how these things get twisted, no, I don't want McCarthy back. No, I do not want us to be Burnley or Brighton.

Last edited:

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, just look up the page. If that form table "proves" we are better than Fulham (don't get me wrong, I think we are), then what does that same table say about us and Albion?

Way I see it, there's only 2 possibilities. We are in the right place in the table at 14th or we are underachieving. Because no way are we overachieving. I guess you can argue we should be happy at 14th as it's better than mid table Championship. It's also only once place better than Mick managed with a fraction of the resources we have available now. And we have way more resources than Burnley and Brighton as well as Fulham and so on. We are underachieving, surely?

And yes, I remember people betting all sorts that we would finish ahead of Villa and Leeds. Now, we may, it will require a big improvement of course. Similar people assured us we'd beat Albion and questioned the sanity of anyone who dare imply it wouldn't be so easy. I never know whether they really believe it, whether it's real or fake confidence, or think that if they bluster enough , it just may happen. :)

PS Because I know how these things get twisted, no, I don't want McCarthy back. No, I do not want us to be Burnley or Brighton.
aren`t we about where we are expected to be going on the wage bill.,and we overachieved last 2 seasons

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And yes, I remember people betting all sorts that we would finish ahead of Villa and Leeds. Now, we may, it will require a big improvement of course. Similar people assured us we'd beat Albion and questioned the sanity of anyone who dare imply it wouldn't be so easy. I never know whether they really believe it, whether it's real or fake confidence, or think that if they bluster enough , it just may happen. :)

PS Because I know how these things get twisted, no, I don't want McCarthy back.
I’m not sure what it is, but there’s a definite reluctance from a significant proportion to admit this season has been very bad in relation to expectations.

I find that strange because people aren’t calling for Nuno to go. I’m disappointed with us this season but I recognise Nuno has to be given the chance to turn things around. If there was a real anger to Nuno I could understand why people want to defend him given what he’s achieved, but there’s not.

The team is not playing to its potential, we’ve scored a higher percentage of set pieces goals than any Premier League team and we’ve shown bottom six form for over half a season.

It’s a worrying trend and there are no real positives to take, other than the fact we probably won’t go down!

Another strange aspect, the same posters who think we’re better than the Villa’s, Leeds’ etc. also seem to be the ones against the criticism. They think we should be good, but don’t want to address the fact we’re not.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven’t we Wolves fans learned that we always do things the hard way....
And so, we’ll lose some games before we finally turn it around and we’re safe. God of Football is NOT on our side.
I’ll only relax when it’s safe to do so and it’s not time yet.

ok, I get it. Some of you are more optimistic than others but we’re not all on the same page......and that’s fair enough.

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dipped down to 15th in the table for half hour or so Sunday. The numbers dont lie, this has been a dismal season.
It’s been a very poor season many of us will agree. However we win tomorrow and Friday we are all but safe.

Exciting times and games will return..... When fans are back and some new players through the door we will be a galvanised outfit once more!!!!

This is the year of let’s just get it out the way. The good times are coming back, better than ever before!

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s been a very poor season many of us will agree. However we win tomorrow and Friday we are all but safe.
And if we don’t?

Please forgive me old chap but if you’re my lawyer and I’m on death row again, ( yes again....I’ll fill you all in later ), and you come along and tell me, win this appeal tomorrow and the next on Friday ........and then , how did you put it?.....
”we are all but safe”.....

are you bleedin’ jokin‘?.....what do you mean ‘BUT‘ safe......kinda sounds like they still mIght strap me in the chair, right?
You’re not filling me with a lot of confidence counselor.

Thanks but with those odds, think I‘ll say a prayer to St. Jude.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And if we don’t?

Please forgive me old chap but if you’re my lawyer and I’m on death row again, ( yes again....I’ll fill you all in later ), and you come along and tell me, win this appeal tomorrow and the next on Friday ........and then , how did you put it?.....
”we are all but safe”.....

are you bleedin’ jokin‘?.....what do you mean ‘BUT‘ safe......kinda sounds like they still mIght strap me in the chair, right?
You’re not filling me with a lot of confidence counselor.

Thanks but with those odds, think I‘ll say a prayer to St. Jude.
Il have whatever your smoking mate. 2 wins we are fine. You won’t get near that chair anymore mr donald has departed I don’t know how you Canadians operate but god bless you all!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Or alternatively, Fulham has won as many in the last 5 matches as Wolves, WBA has won more. SU has won as many as Wolves and Newcastle has only lost once in the last 5.
Stats can be interpreted in many different ways.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Il have whatever your smoking mate. 2 wins we are fine. You won’t get near that chair anymore mr donald has departed I don’t know how you Canadians operate but god bless you all!
cool reply .....hats off to you sir. :)
I like to have a little fun.

Gotta admit, bit nervous about tomorrow.

Last edited:

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Or alternatively, Fulham has won as many in the last 5 matches as Wolves, WBA has won more. SU has won as many as Wolves and Newcastle has only lost once in the last 5.
Stats can be interpreted in many different ways.
I refer you back to my first sentence:

"I keep hearing about how Fulham have really picked up and are on a good run but the facts don't really back this up."

My post was about how Fulham are not in form or on a great run despite people referring to the danger they pose to us. Not sure why this is so hard to understand. Whether you look at their form over the last 10 games or 6 games, the facts show they are not on a charge up the table and they have fallen further behind us with regards to points and goal difference.

This doesn't mean that Wolves have been amazing, it just means that Fulham are very unlikely to catch us, they are losing ground on us rather than gaining. This thread is about how likely we are to be relegated or not.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people pay any attention to current form tables for last so many games? They’re totally irrelevant as the opponents can vary so much.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dipped down to 15th in the table for half hour or so Sunday. The numbers dont lie, this has been a dismal season.
Dismal used to be 15th in the Championship, or worse, so I'll take this season ever day of the week.

This is a unique season in every way even without taking the injuries we've had into account. We're hardly on our own in under performing this season.

If we're 15th again this time next year then questions need to be asked but I proffer we won't be

I don't really venture on here anymore as its such a relentlessly negative place and can see that things haven't changed. Same old names

Amsel

Groupie
Reaction score
???????????
lykos typed 'The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. :mad:'
He should have typed 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog', as pointed out by OLD GOLD ( correctly ) and Golden Arrow ( incorrectly, but with an anecdote, to add interest in the post. )
'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' is a pangram, which is a sentence using every letter of a given alphabet at least once.

I can't assume to know what lykos meant by that.

I 'liked' his comment because I used to work with keyboards and would also test english ones with that pangram.
There is a perfect one in german that uses each letter only once. It is a thing of rare beauty.

But I digress...
You opening this thread is, imo, just an exercise in typing. A way to stretch your fingers. An act to try and fill a void, the void being your life.
You type on here to be noticed, to try and get some attention. Is it out of boredom, insecurity, or a mix of both?
I don't care.

Back
Top Bottom