Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Question.Football pitch layout markings ?

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies for my total ignorance and I’m sure this is a stupid question.
What is the purpose of having the centre circle and the D shape marked out on the pitch?

Couldn’t the modern game be played without having them.
I await my further education from all you experts.
Thanks.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
What is the purpose of having the centre circle and the D shape marked out on the pitch?

Thanks.
The D outside the box is to ensure players are 10 yards away at the award of a penalty

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the same thing applied for the centre circle. The opposition had to stay outside the circle at kick offs, restarts etc and maybe only two from the side kicking off were allowed in? The ball had to be played forward a prerequisite distance....which I think was yard but may have been full ball circumference.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They're needed Pumpking so tell Jeff does every job Shi that we've got a game Sunday so yes he'll need to do those bits too.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's another one then ... The 18 yard box forms the Penalty area ... but what is the 6 yard box for?

(It seems a lot of box for it's actual reason (as I understand things))

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Another football on the pitch question, if I may Pumpking, one for Jonzy really.
Why is it, despite health risks like swallowing and choking, are players allowed to chew gum during a game? thanks.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's another one then ... The 18 yard box forms the Penalty area ... but what is the 6 yard box for?

(It seems a lot of box for it's actual reason (as I understand things))

It’s the area goal kicks are taken from.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Another football on the pitch question, if I may Pumpking, one for Jonzy really.
Why is it, despite health risks like swallowing and choking, are players allowed to chew gum during a game? thanks.
No idea really but as you say it is a health and safety issue as opposed to be governed by the laws of the game

Lycaon

Reaction score
There’s also the corner markings which most players flout and are very rarely penalised for. Same could be said for throw-ins, the amount of times I’ve questioned whether or not a foul throw has been committed or taken from roughly the correct spot is a little alarming!

Never happened in my day, it’s something you could guarantee we’d be picked up on!

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the same thing applied for the centre circle. The opposition had to stay outside the circle at kick offs, restarts etc and maybe only two from the side kicking off were allowed in? The ball had to be played forward a prerequisite distance....which I think was yard but may have been full ball circumference.
did something around the playing forward at kickoff change recently ? (last year or two) I might be wrong on that

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s also the corner markings which most players flout and are very rarely penalised for. Same could be said for throw-ins, the amount of times I’ve questioned whether or not a foul throw has been committed or taken from roughly the correct spot is a little alarming!

Never happened in my day, it’s something you could guarantee we’d be picked up on!
My understanding is that the ball has to be in contact with the quadrant when a corner is taken. Increasingly that seems to be from the goal side as opposed to inside (unsure if the rules have changed). I'm really not sure what is gained by the inch or two closer to the goal....

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
did something around the playing forward at kickoff change recently ? (last year or two) I might be wrong on that
The ball can be played in any direction from the kick off. Used to be forward only.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thanks.
Something to do with Euro paint quota rules and regulations. Apparently Brussels decided many moons ago, all football pitches must be marked using, no more/no less, but exactly 2x5l tins of emulsion.
It can not be watered down, and once opened the full can must be used, the can must then be stored untill there's enough to melt them down into white goalposts.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Something to so with Euro paint quota rules and regulations. Apparently Brussels decided many moons ago, all football pitches must be marked using, no more/no less, but exactly 2x5l tins of emulsion.
It can not be watered down, and once opened the full can must be used, the can must then be stored untill there's enough to melt them down into white goalposts.
No more BS than many of the claims made about the EU over the years...

Amazed that there isn't an exact colour spec too....

Lycaon

Reaction score
Something to so with Euro paint quota rules and regulations. Apparently Brussels decided many moons ago, all football pitches must be marked using, no more/no less, but exactly 2x5l tins of emulsion.
Possibly why we also never hear the phrase “Banana Shot” in this day and age, exceeded the quota circa 1979?!

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’d like to think you were taking the **** Pagey, but you’re probably not too far from truth there mate.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
As I understand it...

Used to be moving the ball (e.g. touching the ball at an indirect free kick) was one rotation but now any movement.

Ball deemed to be in quadrant if any part overhangs the line, so when fans go mad because they can see grass between line and ball they are wrong.

Maybe wrong though, until recently I thought the ball had to be stationary when taking a free kick.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you know it is a yellow card offence to take a tin of paint on to the field and try to change the markings during the game?
Unbelievably, it is actually in the laws of the game.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do we need goalposts in the modern age, why not jumpers?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The ball can be played in any direction from the kick off. Used to be forward only.
I dunno why but it greatly upset me when they did that. It felt like the stupid "pass it forwards from a centre rule" was the difference between a proper game of football and a knockabout with your mates.

Karl Price

Groupie
Reaction score
As I understand it...

Used to be moving the ball (e.g. touching the ball at an indirect free kick) was one rotation but now any movement.

Ball deemed to be in quadrant if any part overhangs the line, so when fans go mad because they can see grass between line and ball they are wrong.

Maybe wrong though, until recently I thought the ball had to be stationary when taking a free kick.

Correct, the ball doesn't have to be touching the corner quadrant, just overhanging it. Similarly, if any part of the ball is overhanging the goal line it's not a goal.

And I still don't understand how that 1st goal Sunday wasn't overturned by VAR. If one of their players had handled it before passing it would have been overturned (or at least should have been).

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What are corner flags actually for?

I assume it's to stop the ball going out directly over the angle of byline and goalline and thus there being confusion about whether it's a thrown-in or goal kick/corner. With the flag it either hits the flag and stays in or definitively goes out one side or the other.

Back
Top Bottom