Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

QPR Attendance

WetheralWolf

Reaction score
I resent all fans who only come back when we are winning not just the local ones

My point about local was that it is simply a choice to attend more/get a season ticket as we are successful. I've got friends that do it etc...it just annoys me.

Nothing against those occasional fans, like me, who go more.

I miss the South Bank although it's good to hear singing all around the ground. The SB chant of 'Where were you when we were white makes me.laugh as I was standing in there so where on earth were you!!!!

WetheralWolf

Reaction score
Why?
What other voluntary activity in life do you do with the same regularity regardless of the pleasure it brings?
If people are making sacrifices elsewhere to afford tickets surely you can see that Wolves might be higher on the list of priorities today than a year ago?

I suppose it comes down to your own personal definition of support. There have been numerous games when you go understanding that it probably won't be enjoyable yet you cling on to the hope and enjoy cheering on your club regardless.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you genuinely not get it? The reason this happens is NOT that supporters stop coming altogether when the team goes through poor stages, it's just that they come less frequently. When the team is doing well they come a little more frequently. The fact of the matter is that a club like Wolves has 10s of 1000s of occasional supporters. When the team is winning, like now, they will come to a few more games.

Well let's do a bit of maths. Let's say there' 50,000 occasionals out there. Let's say that they all attend 5 more home matches this season than in the past due to the team being so much better. That's a quarter of a million extra tickets sold in the season.

The idea that supporters stop going totally then 'crawl out the woodwork' is nonsense.

And anyway, if all of a sudden we are getting a raft of new fans in the ground then great. Better than averaging 10k empty seats per match which we've seen post PL relegation.
It also makes for a brighter future for the club. Makes us more glamorous, more appealing to the next generation.

M

Monk

I think ultra makes comments like he does for effect. He is either a prepubescent 14 year old trying to sound clever or a 25 year old frustrated virgin. Either way don't rise to his bait. A wolves fan is a wolves fan whether a season ticket holder a frequent or in frequent visitor to molinuex. We are in it together and we support our team as well as we can. Either way hope he grows up soon!!!

S

ShropshireLad

I totally agree sorry I'll change my original point....I resent all fans who either come back or come more often for ONLY because we are doing well.

The way the team are doing should have no effect on the ratio of games supporters do in my opinion (however many their circumstances allow). Then they become customers.
If folk go to a restaurant on a regular(ish) basis and find that the quality goes down because the chef has left they'll stop going for a while. They might well go back when they hear reports that the standard has improved because another new chef has been employed there. This might make it difficult for others to book a table if it regains its popularity. That's life.

I am absolutely certain that the club is 100% happy that we're selling all the tickets and they're happy whoever occupies the seats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Green Wolf

Reaction score
I think ultra makes comments like he does for effect. He is either a prepubescent 14 year old trying to sound clever or a 25 year old frustrated virgin. Either way don't rise to his bait. A wolves fan is a wolves fan whether a season ticket holder a frequent or in frequent visitor to molinuex. We are in it together and we support our team as well as we can. Either way hope he grows up soon!!!

I don’t think it is that. I think it is symptomatic of the failure of too many people to understand why (or really HOW) it is that attendances fluctuate. It is not to do with people either attending or not attending, it is down to the fact that people attend more frequently or less frequently.
And anyway, if one only attended 6 matches last season, but then attends 8 this season, for which of the extra 2 of the 8 matches is one deemed to have ‘crawled out of the woodwork’ for?

Haggstone

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I just don't get why certain fans who attend matches regularly, irrespective of how the team play, can have so much resentment for fans who's circumstances or outlook differ to their own. That's what it comes down to really. A complete lack of empathy for other fans of the club who for one reason or another have different priorities in life.

D

Deleted member 3604

I just don't get why certain fans who attend matches regularly, irrespective of how the team play, can have so much resentment for fans who's circumstances or outlook differ to their own. That's what it comes down to really. A complete lack of empathy for other fans of the club who for one reason or another have different priorities in life.

I just don't get how people can't enjoy the experience regardless of win, lose or draw. Even when the football is awful I enjoy the event. If I can't be there it just doesn't feel right ... but full respect to those who don't wish to watch it if it isn't the quality we get now.

Haggstone

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I just don't get how people can't enjoy the experience regardless of win, lose or draw. Even when the football is awful I enjoy the event. If I can't be there it just doesn't feel right ... but full respect to those who don't wish to watch it if it isn't the quality we get now.

Because we are all different with a different set of circumstances. Take me for example, I'm going to the qpr game (my second game of the season) because other members of my family will be there so I have people to attend with. I doubt I would be going to my second game of the season if we weren't playing so well because I'm not in the habit of going on my own. We all have our reasons like I say.

D

Deleted member 3604

Because we are all different with a different set of circumstances. Take me for example, I'm going to the qpr game (my second game of the season) because other members of my family will be there so I have people to attend with. I doubt I would be going to my second game of the season if we weren't playing so well because I'm not in the habit of going on my own. We all have our reasons like I say.

Yes, I get that. Perhaps there are those who would go every week regardless but won't go on their own. Shame places like MolMix can't link those people together.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think it is that. I think it is symptomatic of the failure of too many people to understand why (or really HOW) it is that attendances fluctuate. It is not to do with people either attending or not attending, it is down to the fact that people attend more frequently or less frequently.
And anyway, if one only attended 6 matches last season, but then attends 8 this season, for which of the extra 2 of the 8 matches is one deemed to have ‘crawled out of the woodwork’ for?

I am happy as long as the seats are full but I do think you are being a tad naive.

I know four regular season ticket holders that stopped going four years ago but have bought half season tickets to guarantee seats for next year in the premier league. When on holiday, in past seasons, I have offered them our season tickets and have been told “ I’m not wasting my time watching that ****e”

I also have 2 neighbours, one of whom is a united fan, that has bought a half season ticket so he can go on the **** with some of his scooter club mates.

S

ShropshireLad

The club has attracted much improved attendances by creating very attractive offers. This is what fans on several forums have been hankering after for years - better atmosphere, greater match-day attendance and club shop, programme and catering sales - citing Bradford as a shining example and then I believe, iirc, Huddersfield followed suit. The plan has worked; fans have come back in numbers and new young fans have been created by kids coming along with relatives and friends on the back of cheap tickets.

For those who don't like it (I don't mean you Green Wolf), don't knock the fans for coming - complain to the club about it and say that you want the situation to revert to how it was. I don't wish you luck (even though I can't get into the South Bank this season) and I don't believe the club will listen to you.

This is the new era. This is how it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

WetheralWolf

Reaction score

That's very different those getting season tickets etc. The analogy of the restaurant was good but supporting a football team isn't the same as having a nice meal...

Haggstone

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's very different those getting season tickets etc. The analogy of the restaurant was good but supporting a football team isn't the same as having a nice meal...

For some it is for others it isn't.

Green Wolf

Reaction score
I am happy as long as the seats are full but I do think you are being a tad naive.

I know four regular season ticket holders that stopped going four years ago but have bought half season tickets to guarantee seats for next year in the premier league. When on holiday, in past seasons, I have offered them our season tickets and have been told “ I’m not wasting my time watching that ****e”

I also have 2 neighbours, one of whom is a united fan, that has bought a half season ticket so he can go on the **** with some of his scooter club mates.

All you’ve done is simply offered two anecdotes, personal to you, that prove nothing other than that there are exceptions to the rule. The reality is that attendances, in the main, increase or decrease because occasional fans increase or decrease their frequency of attending depending on how well the team is doing. And given that Wolves has a very substantial supporter base, it will have a very substantial number of these occasional supporters and just small shifts in frequency across this very large constituency of the fan base can lead to significant changes in attendances.

WetheralWolf

Reaction score
The club has attracted much improved attendances by creating very attractive offers. This is what fans on several forums have been hankering after for years - better atmosphere, greater match-day club shop, programme and catering sales - citing Bradford as a shining example and then I believe, iirc, Huddersfield followed suit. The plan has worked; fans have come back in numbers and new young fans have been created by kids coming along with relatives and friends on the back of cheap tickets.

For those who don't like it (I don't mean you Green Wolf), don't knock the fans for coming - complain to the club about it and say that you want the situation to revert to how it was. I don't wish you luck (even though I can't get into the South Bank this season) and I don't believe the club will listen to you.

Those who agreed with my opening point, and myself, are more than happy with the success of the club but are just sharing how we feel. Your penultimate paragraph is laughable although I see you share in the slight frustration of not being in the SB.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All you’ve done is simply offered two anecdotes, personal to you, that prove nothing other than that there are exceptions to the rule. The reality is that attendances, in the main, increase or decrease because occasional fans increase or decrease their frequency of attending depending on how well the team is doing. And given that Wolves has a very substantial supporter base, it will have a very substantial number of these occasional supporters and just small shifts in frequency across this very large constituency of the fan base can lead to significant changes in attendances.

Whereas all you did was state, in your earlier post, your belief that people don’t stop going simply that attendances fluctuate.

All I have done is point out two instances known to me, (as I don’t know the entire fan base, just as you don’t), that is contrary to your statement. If I know of two instances then this won’t be in isolation. I suspect that truth lies somewhere between the two arguments.

Frankly I care not as long as the ground is full.

D

Deleted member 3604

The club has attracted much improved attendances by creating very attractive offers. This is what fans on several forums have been hankering after for years - better atmosphere, greater match-day club shop, programme and catering sales - citing Bradford as a shining example and then I believe, iirc, Huddersfield followed suit. The plan has worked; fans have come back in numbers and new young fans have been created by kids coming along with relatives and friends on the back of cheap tickets.

They would sell out without offers and have done.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
At the end of the day, we all want Wolves to be successful, don't we? And part of that, we have to accept that the demand for tickets will go up, and there will be people at matches who haven't been supporting the club as long as you have, or haven't been to as many games as you have. I'd say generally our attendances have been at quite a consistent level over the last few years, with the occasional bigger gate (Chelsea in the cup last season, for example). We have a solid core of supporters who turn up whether we're brilliant or crap. Then the rest of the seats are either empty when we're crap, or full when we're winning. Same for most clubs I reckon.

Haggstone

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really?!? Like the fans that Mourinho has been talking about? The atmosphere sounded great last night...

Not sure I follow you tbh, I tend not to listen to Mourinho if I can help it.

For many it comes down to choice, to spend what little disposable income is available on attending the football or to spend it on something else. Naturally, while the team are playing well, more occasional fans are likely to chose football more often than they otherwise would.

D

Deleted member 3604

It's a good job we all don't think like that though else there wouldn't be a club.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading the above I wonder where the 30k who turn up now were when we were in the 4th division and attracting 3 or 4k at Molineux? If you weren't alive/or too young then ask yourself honestly if you would go along on a wet Saturday at home to Rochdale with Wolves sitting about 16th in the old 4th Division? It's plainly obvious clubs will attract bigger crowds the higher up the league they are and the better football they are playing. I hate these 'better than thou' threads; any Wolves fan is a Wolves fan whether they go to all games or just a handful. Let's all stick together and enjoy this remarkable season.

WetheralWolf

Reaction score
He was moaning about the lack of atmosphere...similar to a restaurant was a good comparison.

Obviously people are more likely to come if a team is successful - thank you for pointing it out. It's just very frustrating.

WetheralWolf

Reaction score
It's not a better than situation. I made a comment airing my frustrations and that's it. We all want the same thing.

I was waiting for someone to go on about sticking together. We are together but we can also have different viewpoints!

Green Wolf

Reaction score
Whereas all you did was state, in your earlier post, your belief that people don’t stop going simply that attendances fluctuate.

All I have done is point out two instances known to me, (as I don’t know the entire fan base, just as you don’t), that is contrary to your statement. If I know of two instances then this won’t be in isolation. I suspect that truth lies somewhere between the two arguments.

Frankly I care not as long as the ground is full.

I simply did not say that people don’t stop going and instead that attendances fluctuate. One is not the alternative to the other. I think you’ve got a little muddled there. What I was trying to counter was the very narrow view that a small number of posters on here have asserted this season, which is that attendances are up primarily due to people who had stopped going now going again. Basic maths and probability will tell you that this is not the case. The bulk of the increase in attendances will be down to occasional supporters attending a few more times each. There of course will be people who start going again who had stopped going altogether, too. I never denied this.

R

reanswolf

We have to accept that some of these new fans will be part-timers, perhaps fans who support Manure/Liverpool as armchair fans, and will probably revert back to them.
On the other hand, some will be new fans who will forever be cast into the Molineux arena.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I simply did not say that people don’t stop going and instead that attendances fluctuate. One is not the alternative to the other. I think you’ve got a little muddled there. What I was trying to counter was the very narrow view that a small number of posters on here have asserted this season, which is that attendances are up primarily due to people who had stopped going now going again. Basic maths and probability will tell you that this is not the case. The bulk of the increase in attendances will be down to occasional supporters attending a few more times each. There of course will be people who start going again who had stopped going altogether, too. I never denied this.

I don’t think you can even narrow it down as much as that even. There are a lot of new, first time fans, particularly in the family stand where we sit. There are obviously returning fans and definitely those that are increasing their attendance.

At the end of the day how do you define an ocassional supporter? It surely merges into one whether you attended a game or two a season or if you stopped going entirely for a couple of years but have now begun again.

Green Wolf

Reaction score
I don’t think you can even narrow it down as much as that even. There are a lot of new, first time fans, particularly in the family stand where we sit. There are obviously returning fans and definitely those that are increasing their attendance.

At the end of the day how do you define an ocassional supporter? It surely merges into one whether you attended a game or two a season or if you stopped going entirely for a couple of years but have now begun again.

Precisely. It is all on a spectrum. Defining an occasional supporter is very easy. It’s simply one who doesn’t attend every home game, or at least the vast majority of them. Once you establish that, on the spectrum will be people who attended 0 matches last year but 1 this. 1 last year but 2 this. 2 last year but 3 this. Then all of a sudden you see the endless combinations of these that exist on this spectrum and you realise that the increase in attendances is NOT primarily down to people who had altogether stopped attending, now attending again. The maths makes a mockery of this argument.

Yes there will be new supporters come along every season. I’d be amazed if we haven’t had an increase in new supporters this season. For obvious reasons.

D

Deleted member 3573J

Do you genuinely not get it? The reason this happens is NOT that supporters stop coming altogether when the team goes through poor stages, it's just that they come less frequently. When the team is doing well they come a little more frequently. The fact of the matter is that a club like Wolves has 10s of 1000s of occasional supporters. When the team is winning, like now, they will come to a few more games.

Well let's do a bit of maths. Let's say there' 50,000 occasionals out there. Let's say that they all attend 5 more home matches this season than in the past due to the team being so much better. That's a quarter of a million extra tickets sold in the season.

The idea that supporters stop going totally then 'crawl out the woodwork' is nonsense.

And anyway, if all of a sudden we are getting a raft of new fans in the ground then great. Better than averaging 10k empty seats per match which we've seen post PL relegation.

I said something similar earlier in the season when bizarrely the higher attendances got slagged off, as you say the number of fans who pick and choose their games is huge in comparison to season ticket holders, it only takes this group to up their attendance by a few games in a season and the average attendance will increase dramatically.

I've no doubt some of the fans there now are new and perhaps they followed a Man Utd or City previously, but they might be bringing a kid with them who'll get hooked and be a supporter for the next 80 years. We all have to start somewhere, most like myself get the love of Wolves passed down from Granddad's and Dad's, others have to fall in love all by themselves and what better way to fall in love with Wolves than seeing Jota/Neves/Costa etc? This team might have got hundreds of kids in the local area hooked on Wolves for life, why anyone would react negatively to that I don't know.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was at Barnsley 5-0 at home and Southampton at home 6-0?

I have watched Wolves play away many times and have only seen them win once. Since l had a family l haven’t been at all - not in the Mick promotion season or the prem.

Does that make me less of a fan? I have seen lot of rubbish over the years and l’m not gonna start going now (football is stupidly expensive, especially when you live a long way away and don’t drive) but l can enjoy watching yesterday’s game on TV and seeing the beauty of the football they serve up.

I’m not going to take a seat up, but l think l deserve to watch it, even when l’m not there.

I might not be a die hard fan, but l think l’ve done my bit. I just hope everyone enjoys it.

M

merseawolf

I was at Barnsley 5-0 at home and Southampton at home 6-0?

I have watched Wolves play away many times and have only seen them win once. Since l had a family l haven’t been at all - not in the Mick promotion season or the prem.

Does that make me less of a fan? I have seen lot of rubbish over the years and l’m not gonna start going now (football is stupidly expensive, especially when you live a long way away and don’t drive) but l can enjoy watching yesterday’s game on TV and seeing the beauty of the football they serve up.

I’m not going to take a seat up, but l think l deserve to watch it, even when l’m not there.

I might not be a die hard fan, but l think l’ve done my bit. I just hope everyone enjoys it.
A fan is a fan in my eyes. We all have reasons if we can attend or not. I'm sure most of us who dont get to many games would love to but there are so many reasons why you can or cant go. Superfans, glory hunters, singers, students of the game ....whoever.......the more the merrier. Lets grow and become one of the big boys again. Its doable

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They just live in there own little bubble mate.

Back
Top Bottom