Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Pundits "experts"

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In previous seasons i can't say i have found commentators or pundits to be overly annoyingly on Sky or BT BBC but this season it just seems to be full of retired footballers who have none or very little experience in coaching, managing roles yet they somehow think they are the experts, its just embarrassing listening to the likes of Danny Murphy who sits there talking like he loved a tackle and was one of the best passers on the ball ever. Gary Neville constantly telling us De Gea went with his wrong hand to save a shot in the top corner. Carragher just being Carragher.

Not only do Skys program of "Premier league legends" keep constantly showing Neville and Carragher i couldn't help but laugh when i saw a program about Gary Neville's life of a pundit. Did anyone watch it? Are people really that interested in him?
Watched SSN last night and Carragher on the monday night football told everyone how to beat Chelsea, can just imagine Pep and Jose thinking oh Jamie if only we had his genius.
Is this why Sky has gotten increasingly more expensive to pay for more "expert" opinions?

E

Essex Wolf

Fully agreed EVW and quite why Sky sports find it necessary to repeat such a terrible programme is beyond me. Maybe it's for all the United fans to drool over one of their past hero's?
I posted a thread few weeks back as I recall about football commentators where I find Martin Tyler particularly annoying. Spends too much time talking about stats and quoting snippets during the game that have been dug up for him. Add that to the fact he often sounds like an over excited child and he really annoys me. The man is 71 FFS. Must be doing something right as he's been doing his thing for many years but Sky do seem to be happy to plug these people.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When the presenter on "Super" Sunday mentioned the Gary Neville programme and billed it as a must not miss and an intriguing insight I did laugh.

Unfortunately I missed it so can't verify his claims.

I suppose ex professional players and coaches can provide an insight on what they've experienced themselves in similar environments and given their involvement must have a reasonable level of knowledge of football, it'd be interesting to see them in comparison with others though who've maybe played non professionally or simply those who watch a lot of football.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fully agreed EVW and quite why Sky sports find it necessary to repeat such a terrible programme is beyond me. Maybe it's for all the United fans to drool over one of their past hero's?
I posted a thread few weeks back as I recall about football commentators where I find Martin Tyler particularly annoying. Spends too much time talking about stats and quoting snippets during the game that have been dug up for him. Add that to the fact he often sounds like an over excited child and he really annoys me. The man is 71 FFS. Must be doing something right as he's been doing his thing for many years but Sky do seem to be happy to plug these people.

Totally agree about Tyler, didn't quite realise he was that old. He just goes on mumbling about stats or what someone had for dinner last weekend. In the Liverpool game he was desperate for Rooney to score to break that record. Must be a secret Utd fan to stay in his job for so long.

E

Essex Wolf

Totally agree about Tyler, didn't quite realise he was that old. He just goes on mumbling about stats or what someone had for dinner last weekend. In the Liverpool game he was desperate for Rooney to score to break that record. Must be a secret Utd fan to stay in his job for so long.
If Sky told him to STFU about stats, personel pathetic tit bits about players and to concentrate on the game he'd say nowhere near as much. He regularly overstates the blatantly bloody obvious and for their main man as such I find him terrible and boring. I recall his truly ridiculous and massively OTT reaction when Aguero scored the winner against QPR several minutes into injury time allowing City to win the title. I don't have a propblem with adults being excited and emotional but instead of commentating he screamed like a Banshee.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
If Sky told him to STFU about stats, personel pathetic tit bits about players and to concentrate on the game he'd say nowhere near as much. He regularly overstates the blatantly bloody obvious and for their main man as such I find him terrible and boring. I recall his truly ridiculous and massively OTT reaction when Aguero scored the winner against QPR several minutes into injury time allowing City to win the title. I don't have a propblem with adults being excited and emotional but instead of commentating he screamed like a Banshee.
But not as much as Neville when Torres scored the goal to take Chelsea to the Champions League Final

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't mind Souness, he doesn't mince his words!

As for the others, as you say what have they achieved in management to criticise? Them and the journalists on the Sunday supplement all think they know best. Yet no one has snapped them up why???

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they are all fine apart from Don Goodman, Robbie Savage and Michael Owen who all get on my nerves.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There does seem to be a serious lack of high profile quality journalists in English football. For some reason in this country we think ex players will make great pundits, coaches and managers when in reality many don't.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Graham Souness is good and knows what he is talking about. Also it is wonderful to sometimes look at his face as is forced to listen to some of the buffoons he has to share the studio with !

Why when Sky have a pundit alongside the commentator do they find it now necessary to inflict the brainless M and S mannequin Redknapp on us for an opinion during the game. I believe the BT do the same with Hoddle.

I used to be a big fan of Soccer Saturday but I am finding myself reaching for the mute button due to the immature screaming of Charlie Nicholas which has become contagious as Merson and Le Tissier have caught the disease. Also, someone needs to tell Jeff Stelling that jokes are less funny the 70th time you make them. Such as " Jacobs scores, I bet it was a cracker " and there are others he repeats over and over.

Sky have a major bias towards Man Utd. The coverage they get is farcical and I do not think it will be too long before the "Breaking News" strap across the bottom says something likes " Zlatan spills his tea ".

The Sky program that should be reported under the trades description act is the Saturday night Game of the Day. What it should be called is which of Manure, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool shall we show tonight. You can have a cracker involving two " lesser clubs " that ends 3-2 or another high scoring match but forget it if in the unusual event any of those are not live over the weekend and kick off at 3pm on a Saturday they will be on that is a cert.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thankfully there is a mute button.

Somehow even that does not seem to do the trick when Thierry Henry comes on though.

F

FLEET WOLF

Graham Souness is good and knows what he is talking about. Also it is wonderful to sometimes look at his face as is forced to listen to some of the buffoons he has to share the studio with !

Why when Sky have a pundit alongside the commentator do they find it now necessary to inflict the brainless M and S mannequin Redknapp on us for an opinion during the game. I believe the BT do the same with Hoddle.

I used to be a big fan of Soccer Saturday but I am finding myself reaching for the mute button due to the immature screaming of Charlie Nicholas which has become contagious as Merson and Le Tissier have caught the disease. Also, someone needs to tell Jeff Stelling that jokes are less funny the 70th time you make them. Such as " Jacobs scores, I bet it was a cracker " and there are others he repeats over and over.

Sky have a major bias towards Man Utd. The coverage they get is farcical and I do not think it will be too long before the "Breaking News" strap across the bottom says something likes " Zlatan spills his tea ".

The Sky program that should be reported under the trades description act is the Saturday night Game of the Day. What it should be called is which of Manure, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool shall we show tonight. You can have a cracker involving two " lesser clubs " that ends 3-2 or another high scoring match but forget it if in the unusual event any of those are not live over the weekend and kick off at 3pm on a Saturday they will be on that is a cert.
Entirely agree about Souness. Both Nevilles **** me off, as does Carragher and of course that **** Hoddle and bloody Arry (and indeed his son). Other than Nicholas, I like the Soccer Saturday blokes and think it is a funny programme to watch.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact is Sky punditry was far better back in the days of Andy Gray and Richard Keys [despite their boorish and unacceptable attitude to women] than watching Neville and co, today.
Says it all really.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary Neville is considered a genius by broadcasters because he is an ex footballer who can just about string a few sentences together without dribbling. Like all the rest, he just fills the airwaves because television cannot ever tolerate a moment's silence.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

Agreed

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Gary Neville is considered a genius by broadcasters because he is an ex footballer who can just about string a few sentences together without dribbling. Like all the rest, he just fills the airwaves because television cannot ever tolerate a moment's silence.
Which was why Richie Benaud was so magnificent.Speak when you need to,describe what you see ,don't come out with hyperbole to fill the silence and don't try to bamboozle the audience.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I have to watch a game on tv I go and make a drink at half time and knock it off at the end. No interest at all in hearing what some gimp like Holloway has to say.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They never say anything that makes you think or you learn something. It's all **** anybody can see or random filler about none footballing matters.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't mind Souness, he doesn't mince his words!

As for the others, as you say what have they achieved in management to criticise? Them and the journalists on the Sunday supplement all think they know best. Yet no one has snapped them up why???
Souness cut his teeth on Irish TV with John Giles and Eamon Dunphy. That's where he learned not to suffer fools.

The "Merseyside/ Manchester" weekend though was bad. Sky had a programme on Friday night with Souness and Martin Tyler. When asked what his goal highlights of Liverpool v Man U games were, Tyler chose 2 penalty goals.

The programme was obviously recorded for showing on Saturday as they kept saying "the games tomorrow" and stuck it on Friday night as well as a filler.

Also, they wanted goal line technology for years. Now that we have it, we still see a dozen replays to show that the ball was over the line. drives me mad.

Overall, I find that the standards of coverage on Sky and BT have gone downhill in recent years. It seems to be that the policy is the more pundits covering a game the better. i have counted 4 in the studio for some games and 3 in the commentary box.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree about Souness i don't mind him.
Totally forgot about the in game Jamie Redknapp expert opinion during the game, sometimes its every 10 mins they go to him and all he does is point out the ****ing obvious or repeat what Neville has already said.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Myself and a friend were saying the other day how we'd prefer it if they had pundits that could offer real insight into the team or manager. We've just watched the game - we know what's happened and who ****ed up. What we want is a pundit who lets you into what the training of a manager is like, or what happens mentally etc in a game at these moments. Not Neville taking the full backs side and Carragher taking the Centre backs side.

D

Deleted member 3573J

Jamie Redknapp is my favourite, it's the seriousness and that look on his face where he thinks he's talking total sense that I love. But that fella could speak about a game for 2 hours non stop and not actually say anything. Gary Neville is 2nd, he has all the enthusiasm of a fat lad reeling off his McDonald's order when he talks football. I fully expect he whips out that touch screen tv in his bedroom at night and uses those pointless lines and arrows to describe to the wife how he's going to get up in the morning and make her breakfast in bed. And the final space in my top 3 goes to Michael Owen, he has the voice of dial tone and if his long drawn out speeches of stating the obvious are anything to go by then I reckon he could write an encyclopedia sized book in how to make a cuppa tea.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I have to watch a game on tv I go and make a drink at half time and knock it off at the end. No interest at all in hearing what some gimp like Holloway has to say.

Like you Derby Wolf I do not watch the game until kick off time and at half time its channel hopping time and same at full time. Unless Wolves are on then like Saturday if we have won I lap up every single minute of it !

Having had a moan about Soccer Saturday earlier on it is far better than the BBC version Final Score. I give you Garth Crooks, a man who believes a hundred words are needed when ten will do !

L

lostinbristol

I'm sure they just do it to take the **** sometimes. I mean they send people like Windass and Dowie out to watch games and report back. They can barely string a sentence together between them.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought his commentary for the Aguero goal was fantastic and definitely not OTT. Had it been Wolves scoring it and winning the title you wouldn't be saying that.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"When they don’t score they hardly ever win." - Michael Owen

E

Essex Wolf

But not as much as Neville when Torres scored the goal to take Chelsea to the Champions League Final
Must admit mate i don't recall that so maybe didn't watch the game?

Which was why Richie Benaud was so magnificent.Speak when you need to,describe what you see ,don't come out with hyperbole to fill the silence and don't try to bamboozle the audience.
Exactly, he was informative and knowledgeable without being boring and presumptuous which is the total opposite when it comes to Tyler.

I thought his commentary for the Aguero goal was fantastic and definitely not OTT. Had it been Wolves scoring it and winning the title you wouldn't be saying that.
Each to their own AM and if you find him fantastic then that's your choice but the man is 71 and acts very child like IMO. I have nothing against people getting excited and emotional as football brings those emotions out in folk but for me the way he screamed like a child was OTT and quite pathetic but just my POV.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly, he was informative and knowledgeable without being boring and presumptuous which is the total opposite when it comes to Tyler.

Each to their own AM and if you find him fantastic then that's your choice but the man is 71 and acts very child like IMO. I have nothing against people getting excited and emotional as football brings those emotions out in folk but for me the way he screamed like a child was OTT and quite pathetic but just my POV.

I don't watch football Essex, in fact I didn't even watch that game but I saw it afterwards and thought, well, good on him, if you can't get excited about the red ribbons being switched for blue with the new kids on the block usurping the bully boys in the last minute of injury time in the last game of the season, what can you get excited about. He went silent right at the point of the city fans realising it was a goal, it was a shivers down the spine moment captured perfectly and it still excites me watching it even now. Can't comment on him the rest of the time though.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

Try and look it up on YouTube.It is quite funny.When Torres scored it sounded like he was having an orgasm with the most stunning woman in the World.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terry Henry is on 4m a year to be a pundit. He is absolutely gash and knows nothing

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of the commentators, by far the worst for me has to be David Prutton, he prattles on about nothing for what seems likes minutes and half the stuff he comes out with is so ill informed.

By far the best is Andy Hinchcliffe, it's a shame he's been poached by the Premier League.

I'll have to own up to having a bit of a soft spot for Motty. Think it's because he was the most prominent commentator when I was growing up - early 90s onwards.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terry Henry is on 4m a year to be a pundit. He is absolutely gash and knows nothing

I think he is the very epitome of the floor in focus groups & polls etc. It's just such an easy win to get a former legend of the game to sit there and spout the bleeding obvious and we all lap it up. Sadly.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"When they don’t score they hardly ever win." - Michael Owen

One of his in fact his worst and most insensitive gaff had to be when Carlisle played home in the FA Cup after the awful Cumbrian floods " Well it looks to me as if the Brunton Park pitch could do with being watered ! " An unbelievable foot in mouth moment even by his standards.

D

Deleted member 3573J

Here's some Owen classics:

https://twitter.com/mickyowenquotes?lang=en

Ca84SuUWAAAWcRe.jpg:large

JAIRDUCOCHET

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nice comment by Terry Butcher last night.speaking after the Lincoln Ipswich game he said' No Silent Witness tonight, but I think Mick McCarthy will be holding a inquest into this '

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did anyone see Phillip Neville on MOTD2 on Sunday, refusing to accept John Stones has ever made a mistake in his life? It was painful to watch. Shearer well and truly put him in his place.

Merson's comment the other week about West Ham selling Payet for 30 million, and using 20 of that to buy Martial should have resulted in an immediate P45! There's so much stupidity in such a comment, that he stated so seriously too like it was a real great idea, I don't have enough time to list them.

Back
Top Bottom