Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

PROTEST South Bank turn backs in 6th minute

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There doesn't appear to be a consensus about what we're protesting here, unless I've missed something? It's either:

1) The issue of the quality of reffing
2) The belief that there's a conspiracy.
3) VAR is bost and needs fixing.
4) VAR is ****e and needs binning.

For me, #4 is the real issue, but I'm pretty sure a lot on here at least would disagree

Make a huge banner out of this tweet to show in SB Saturday what plonkers they are in the PGMOL
Do it. Massive Southbank filling banner.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The group responsible for banners at Molineux have said they won’t protest against VAR this weekend as it’s Remembrance weekend so I presume some form of recognition of Armistice Day is planned.

Balti Pie

Reaction score
Huge Banner with a picture of a clown with the message 'VAR Clowns'.
Then, everyone in the ground wearing clown masks. (Including Players & Gary O'Neill!)

Hoping someone can arrange this...

Archiwolf

Reaction score
Give me a P, give me a G, give me an M, give me an O, give me an L.
What does it spell?
Answers on a post card, as the swear filter will prevent you posting the correct answer.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anybody on here really think anyone in football gives a **** about Wolves and what happens to us and what our response is? No, of course not - banners, marches, protests, chants, whatever, will be of little interest to anybody outside Wolverhampton and certainly will have no bearing on what happens in the future re:VAR.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Does anybody on here really think anyone in football gives a **** about Wolves and what happens to us and what our response is? No, of course not - banners, marches, protests, chants, whatever, will be of little interest to anybody outside Wolverhampton and certainly will have no bearing on what happens in the future re:VAR.
If it was just Wolves moaning about a few bad decisions then I would agree. However it is a widely held view across most fans, and match going fans in particular.

The basic thing is they used to get too many decisions wrong, so they introduced a system that was supposed to rarely look at anything, but if it did, quickly clear up anything that was an obvious mistake by the ref.

What we now get is at least as many wrong decisions, loads of checks, taking forever, with minimal information relayed to anyone in the ground, and not clearing up many of the mistakes.

So there's an increasing groundswell against it, there are only so many times they can tell us just one more tweak and it'll work.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which is why any protest needs to be co-ordinated with supporters of all the PL clubs.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which is why any protest needs to be co-ordinated with supporters of all the PL clubs.
It'll never happen and even if some coordinated protest took place do the football authorities give a **** what we fans think? They know we'll always turn up in numbers; I expect the seat occupancy at most Prem games is 95%+. VAR is **** but it's not stopping us turning up.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it was just Wolves moaning about a few bad decisions then I would agree. However it is a widely held view across most fans, and match going fans in particular.

The basic thing is they used to get too many decisions wrong, so they introduced a system that was supposed to rarely look at anything, but if it did, quickly clear up anything that was an obvious mistake by the ref.

What we now get is at least as many wrong decisions, loads of checks, taking forever, with minimal information relayed to anyone in the ground, and not clearing up many of the mistakes.

So there's an increasing groundswell against it, there are only so many times they can tell us just one more tweak and it'll work.
Everything you say is right. Imo VAR will only ever be scrapped, and I think that is what we all want, if ALL the Prem clubs coordinate a mass response against it. Perhaps then the authorities might take heed, they won't listen to a bunch of fans.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Everything you say is right. Imo VAR will only ever be scrapped, and I think that is what we all want, if ALL the Prem clubs coordinate a mass response against it. Perhaps then the authorities might take heed, they won't listen to a bunch of fans.
Yes, as I understand it (could be wrong!) 20 votes with one vote per club for next season.11 clubs go against it and it can go as easily as that. If the global TV audience hears 'Premier League Corrupt as ****' game after game I think they might consider the effect of that on the value of their product.

Last edited:

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
We're terrible at co-ordinating joint protests in football in this county. However, there were no co-ordinated protests against the European Super League either. Fans protested against their own clubs and it wasn't coordinated in any way, but the strength of feeling still showed across all clubs.

If we wait for all the clubs to get together and make a joint protest against VAR we might be waiting a very long time. However, if many individual clubs fans continually protested, it might do something and it might grow. Think it take a lot more than banners and turning backs though. The Super League protests included Chelsea fans aggressively protesting outside Stamford Bridge and Man United fans breaking into Old Trafford and postponing their game.

Also, managers have a big part to play too. If all they do is bleat in about the decisions that go against them, but at the same time make excuses for the wrong decisions that go in their favour things will never change. You'll never hear Arteta admit a that VAR decision in favour of Arsenal was wrong. They need to drop the partisanship.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about the North Bank? How about when there is a controversial decision going against us, we walk out the stand. That would be more effective. The game will get abandoned yet replayed. Players should do the same.
Why would a game be abandoned because fans walked out?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only way to bring about the necessary changes to the system is to put irresistible pressure on PGMOL, and for that to happen all the EPL clubs need to act together.

That might happen…….it’s a definite maybe.

Individual clubs will have little or no effect, although Klopp, Arteta, and the like sounding off is welcome as we all know that officialdom is frightened of upsetting the BIG SIX.

Supporters having an effect - sorry but no chance.

What I would like to see happen, just for the satisfaction of it is (as Jade says), for our players to walk off the pitch in protest at the next major mistake by the ref or VAR.

It would make a point, but probably have repercussions for the club.

So, if the EPL is a first class “product”, it is fettered to a third class system of officiating. That cannot last.
Re your second para Poch's comments this week suggest that is unlikely....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give me a P, give me a G, give me an M, give me an O, give me an L.
What does it spell?
Answers on a post card, as the swear filter will prevent you posting the correct answer.
Onanists.....

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
No I meant if the players walk out it would.
We'd just get awarded a defeat, probably 3-0 unless it was already worse. Heavily fined. Massive suspended sentence to stop it happening again. And be a laughing stock.

(One of) the troubles with asking the fans to walk out is I had no idea at Old Trafford, home to Newcastle or Bramall Lane that the decisions were wrong.

D

Deleted member 13560twfw

Look, just everyone protest, doesn't have to be the same thing. Bring your own ideas. I doubt I am at that game, even if I am. I still get a telling off from the Stewards for saying. '**** VAR'. The Stan Cullis ain't the family enclosure you know.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem seems to be that when it's a penalty in the refs eyes he needs to wait let the game play on and let var intervene like they do with offsides. Let the technology make the decision. It will cause plenty of delays but most decisions should be accurate. Or better still just get rid of the technology and let the game flow and accept the errors like before
If he had waited only 2/3 seconds before pointing to the spot he would have noticed the Sheffield United player getting to his feet and trying to play on which would have told him by the players reaction it wasn’t a penalty …

D

Deleted member 13560twfw

We have been denied 6pts

Suggestion: versus Spurs on TV, the South Bank (or ideally whole ground) turns our back for the sixth minute

yes? No? I don’t care if it’s a **** idea and doesn’t happen. But I do want something tangible to happen so better ideas welcomed
What about a slow march before the game, with chants. With megaphones, 'we want justice for the 6 points'. I don't know. Depends how extreme you want to go with it.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your’e right to a certain extent. But if enough careful planning and participation from a lot of people then ange can happen.
But I agree with you that small shows of discontent will be a waste of time.

JJ59

Reaction score
Maybe Webb and co have workable plans to resolve the issues? Garry seems to be content with whatever Webb said to him on confidence on Sunday. We don't know what was said but we do know that Garry does not do b....S.... So more pain for us in the near future but solutions on the way? For me I would like to see the Var staff to have absolutely no connection with the on field officials. At the moment they are marking their own mates homework.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The reaction to the Arsenal verdict this week, and everyone laughing at him (and then Klopp today) shows why nothing will change.

Football can never get past the tribalism and I’d be surprised if it ever can in large enough numbers to make a difference. It’s the same with dodgy owners, everyone hoping it’s their club that gets taken over by a petrostate next rather than trying to change the system that is ruining the game forever.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It'll never happen and even if some coordinated protest took place do the football authorities give a **** what we fans think? They know we'll always turn up in numbers; I expect the seat occupancy at most Prem games is 95%+. VAR is **** but it's not stopping us turning up.
You're right that they don't give a toss about the fans at the game

What they do care about is their product being broadcast across the world and if that is tainted by mass protests inside the ground against VAR then they will sit and take notice

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe Webb and co have workable plans to resolve the issues? Garry seems to be content with whatever Webb said to him on confidence on Sunday. We don't know what was said but we do know that Garry does not do b....S.... So more pain for us in the near future but solutions on the way? For me I would like to see the Var staff to have absolutely no connection with the on field officials. At the moment they are marking their own mates homework.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

We’ve been on the receiving end of poor officiating for years in this league. It’s got worse since Webb took over, not better. I am convinced that as a group, the PL officials have biases against certain clubs, likely because those clubs have caused them or some of their friends, grief. Webb trying to bring greater transparency and accountability has made that worse, at least in the short term, because the spotlight and punishment is greater, and hence the reason to feel bitter and aggrieved at some clubs, players or managers, greater. But the punishment given is inadequate, enough to cause embarrassment and aggravation, but not sufficient to act as a deterrent. So it’s getting worse as the officials develop a siege mentality and focus their ire on the clubs they feel responsible. As Wolves are one of the clubs who have caused officials embarrassment and hassle, through no fault of our own, and officials regularly meet as a group, we are getting even more biased decisions against us as the officials close ranks and defend each other.

I hope that in private Gary warned Howard Webb that Wolves have compiled a large and damning set of evidence and if this bias isn’t eradicated, the club will take action against PGMOL, with or without the support of other aggrieved clubs. He needs to know that we won’t tolerate his organisations bias and incompetence any longer.

JJ59

Reaction score
I’ll believe it when I see it.

We’ve been on the receiving end of poor officiating for years in this league. It’s got worse since Webb took over, not better. I am convinced that as a group, the PL officials have biases against certain clubs, likely because those clubs have caused them or some of their friends, grief. Webb trying to bring greater transparency and accountability has made that worse, at least in the short term, because the spotlight and punishment is greater, and hence the reason to feel bitter and aggrieved at some clubs, players or managers, greater. But the punishment given is inadequate, enough to cause embarrassment and aggravation, but not sufficient to act as a deterrent. So it’s getting worse as the officials develop a siege mentality and focus their ire on the clubs they feel responsible. As Wolves are one of the clubs who have caused officials embarrassment and hassle, through no fault of our own, and officials regularly meet as a group, we are getting even more biased decisions against us as the officials close ranks and defend each other.

I hope that in private Gary warned Howard Webb that Wolves have compiled a large and damning set of evidence and if this bias isn’t eradicated, the club will take action against PGMOL, with or without the support of other aggrieved clubs. He needs to know that we won’t tolerate his organisations bias and incompetence any longer.
I absolutely accept much of what you say and have held the view that we have had a raw deal for years. So so many instances, here's 1 at Liverpool one of ours red carded for a robust tackle, the pool goalkeeper running the length of the pitch outraged at the Wolves player. Later in the same match Steven Gerrard replicates that tackle through the Wolves player from behind. The ref does not produce any card, smiles and chats to Gerrard, helps him up and gives Stevens bottom a pat as he passed him. Whilst the ref is doing all this in the background the camera picks up the Wolves player still receiving treatment in the middle of the pitch.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, as I understand it (could be wrong!) 20 votes with one vote per club for next season.11 clubs go against it and it can go as easily as that. If the global TV audience hears 'Premier League Corrupt as ****' game after game I think they might consider the effect of that on the value of their product.
I thought it needed 14 votes to change any policy/regulation in the PL. Even harder now that we have a SKY 7 rather than 6...

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The group responsible for banners at Molineux have said they won’t protest against VAR this weekend as it’s Remembrance weekend so I presume some form of recognition of Armistice Day is planned.
I don't get why we had a Remembrance service last w/e in Sheffield and have another one this w/e. Is this some sort of growth industry (paper poppies ?) that the Govt. is trying to engineer ? Every year it seems we are required to 'remember' for longer and longer. I've nothing against what used to be a simple ceremony on the Sunday nearest 11.11, but its now getting out of hand.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At 6 mins into the game, a chant of “6 points to the Premier League” to the oft used for football chants Go West tune.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't get why we had a Remembrance service last w/e in Sheffield and have another one this w/e. Is this some sort of growth industry (paper poppies ?) that the Govt. is trying to engineer ? Every year it seems we are required to 'remember' for longer and longer. I've nothing against what used to be a simple ceremony on the Sunday nearest 11.11, but its now getting out of hand.
Bit disrespectful, and not really a discussion for this thread. However each club marks the occasion at their home match closest to the date. I might agree that it should all be done on one weekend, and whichever clubs are at home that weekend host the remembrance.

Back
Top Bottom