Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Positive thread from me for a change - Looking up - europe?

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s so hard to achieve anything in this league though isn’t it. The big 6 are locked in stone for the foreseeable. Even when they are in ‘crisis’ ala United and Chelsea, they are still above you. You then have West Ham and Newcastle, banging on the top 6 door. Brighton are apparently in the best thing since sliced bread, and then you have Villa who have had an astonishing year.

We are, literally, best of the rest right now. All we can ask realistically is for more days like this last week than we had the week of West Ham and Fulham away. We are so close to being a really top side, the margin for error though is just minuscule.

Either way, think it’s safe we can put talk of relegation to bed once and for all. Top 10 would be an incredible achievement this season.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s so hard to achieve anything in this league though isn’t it. The big 6 are locked in stone for the foreseeable. Even when they are in ‘crisis’ ala United and Chelsea, they are still above you. You then have West Ham and Newcastle, banging on the top 6 door. Brighton are apparently in the best thing since sliced bread, and then you have Villa who have had an astonishing year.

We are, literally, best of the rest right now. All we can ask realistically is for more days like this last week than we had the week of West Ham and Fulham away. We are so close to being a really top side, the margin for error though is just minuscule.

Either way, think it’s safe we can put talk of relegation to bed once and for all. Top 10 would be an incredible achievement this season.
Imagine where we’d be with 7 more VAR points!!

Today was as good as we’ve been for a long time. Well done all.

I don’t see us being top-half - who will we finish above - and 11th is as good as we can get to.

I’m happy with a continued improvement in performance and creation of an identity for this season. Relegation feels a long way off and would need some monumental injuries now.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
9 pts overnight has transformed our season. We are just 3 pts off Utd in 7th, which is a European spot. I can't quite believe I'm writing this, esp after all that's been said earlier in the season, but amazingly it is what it is. We are in a good groove and when you look at the table it is only natural to wonder if we could get higher. When we're near the bottom you concentrate on relegation so let's enjoy dreaming of unbelieveable things.

SuziQ

Reaction score
In the 18/19 season after 20 games we'd scored 23 goals and were in 7th place with 29 points.

After 20 games this season, we've scored 30 goals and are in 11th with 28 points.

I think we could do it.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds daft, but you're either in a "relegation battle" or you're not. I'm certain the confidence is flowing and the players won't be looking down now, which in itself, will allow them a bit more freedom. When you're scrapping and you've got the siege mentality EVERY week, it must be grinding. I know that works for some, but it must lower your ceiling as to what you're trying to achieve.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lets not get carried away. We won't be making Europe.

18 games to go and we would need to have a record of about 9-5-4 at worst

Not impossible but highly highly unlikely given our up and down form all season.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh…..didn’t know that. I thought free movement of jobs, living and visiting didn’t need passports in the EU.

It is bloody annoying every time I come back to Europe now as I forget we left the EU and I choose the wrong queue half the time.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lets not get carried away. We won't be making Europe.

18 games to go and we would need to have a record of about 9-5-4 at worst

Not impossible but highly highly unlikely given our up and down form all season.
After 8 games we were 14th

Last 12 games on the form table we are 6th.

Last 6 games we are 3rd

Our form has only been up, not down

It's absolutely possible to get a European spot

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After 8 games we were 14th

Last 12 games on the form table we are 6th.

Last 6 games we are 3rd

Our form has only been up, not down

It's absolutely possible to get a European spot

Keep dreaming, it won't happen

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm still in "mind the gap" mode. 50 years of supporting Wolves does that to you !

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
It’s so hard to achieve anything in this league though isn’t it. The big 6 are locked in stone for the foreseeable….

….All we can ask realistically is for more days like this last week….

Excellent post. Agree with it all.

For me it’s about setting the right frame of reference for success and achievement.

These weeks feel better for me than fans of the big clubs can ever feel. We were lost for decades and now can be a side that could be in the top flight for decades. Fans of the big clubs are miserable because they lose a game, or didn’t spend 100 million on a striker.

Yes I’d love to win a trophy, but being here and doing well gives me enormous pleasure. Thirty years in the wilderness means I can love every minute. And I’m entitled to that in the eyes of all football fans. Nobody resents my enjoyment because of money or entitlement.

I’d love to win a trophy, but I can enjoy that we are here and are very good.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
OK, I said the other day we're not good enough for Europe, and don't trust a bloke who drinks gin, but I'm moving a bit on one of those.

Just to check, 4 Champions' League places guaranteed and almost certainly 5. Then the 6th placed team and FA Cup winners (or 6th and 7th if the FA Cup winners finish top 5) enter the Europa League. 8th place is the Conference League. Then further complications if English teams win the European competitions. Feel free to correct any of that!

So 8th will very likely be a European place. For my money the top 6 are likely to be the same as now, but I think (without wishing to get carried away by a couple of good results) we're in a competition of maybe 8 teams for positions 7 and 8. Certainly not odds on to finish top 8, but certainly not beyond the bounds of possibility.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK, I said the other day we're not good enough for Europe, and don't trust a bloke who drinks gin, but I'm moving a bit on one of those.

Just to check, 4 Champions' League places guaranteed and almost certainly 5. Then the 6th placed team and FA Cup winners (or 6th and 7th if the FA Cup winners finish top 5) enter the Europa League. 8th place is the Conference League. Then further complications if English teams win the European competitions. Feel free to correct any of that!

So 8th will very likely be a European place. For my money the top 6 are likely to be the same as now, but I think (without wishing to get carried away by a couple of good results) we're in a competition of maybe 8 teams for positions 7 and 8. Certainly not odds on to finish top 8, but certainly not beyond the bounds of possibility.
Didn't we get excited under Lage about getting into Europe but that went tits up? I think we need to channel the inner Nuno to keep the march going!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A win against Brighton and united and we are really in it.

If we can pick up 4 points still in we would be on 33 after 22 running at 1.5 PPG go on Gon and lads

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A win against Brighton and united and we are really in it.

If we can pick up 4 points still in we would be on 33 after 22 running at 1.5 PPG go on Gon and lads
As I said on the tactics thread this season seems all about attacking football and teams going for it, and not just the big teams, us, BHA, Villa, B'mouth. It means that games are more open and more difficult to predict; I see us more likely to beat Utd than BHA tbh. We'll miss Hwang for sure but Neto will be back so our goal scoring opportunities will still be there. I haven't been this positive since prime Nuno.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Starting to wonder if Conference is an outside possibility. Next couple of games are big.

The fact I’m even thinking this is testament to GON and the squad, considering my outlook on how we might fare the start of the season.

Fair ****ing play to them.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep everyone fit and I think we have a reasonable outside chance of European football next season.

GON really is doing an outstanding job.

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
We have 2 chances now - the league and the FA cup. After today I think we should stay up so what should be the priority - for me the league will take care of itself. Surely we go all out for the FA cup. I know some big teams are still in it but we have shown we can mix it with anyone. All those moaning about the price of Brighton tickets ( another thread) should (if finances allow) get behind the boys we can do this - let's fill the ground v Brighton.

COYW

JaycogWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Agree with Monk we are safe no need to worry! Let’s go for the Cup and the league will take care of itself but we have to go full pelt on the FA Cup

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beat Brentford get to 35 points then full out for cup. League will then happen on its own

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember 8th spot gets Europe depending on domestic cup winners

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
8th won't get Europe, 7th is the lowest possible spot you can qualify from by your league position
That could change this season, due to the extra 2 Champions League places based on performance by each country’s teams in Europe per season.

If City or Arsenal win the Champions League, if one of the English sides win the Europa League and if Villa win the Europa League, then we should get one of those two extra spots.

Obviously too, Liverpool beating Chelsea in the League Cup Final at the end of the month will be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom