Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Positive thread from me for a change - Looking up - europe?

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No chance, but we won’t be anywhere near relegation either, which to me under the current circumstances should be seen as a very successful season.

I’ve said since August we will finish 12th and I stand by that.

No doubt that won’t be good enough for the doom mongers on here however, who will no doubt be calling for O’Neil’s head as soon as it’s mathematically confirmed we can’t finish top 4.

“If the Villa can do it why cor we”. Sigh.

luiandlui

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don’t think we’ve played well
Enough to be in contention.

I think we look like a distinctly average premier side that’s wildly inconsistent.

A good winter window and anything can happen
This. We aren’t bad on our day but more than half of the premier league is better than us. 12th-14th will be a very good finish with this squad

Ukraine Wolf

Reaction score
I don’t think we’ve played well
Enough to be in contention.

I think we look like a distinctly average premier side that’s wildly inconsistent.

A good winter window and anything can happen
Sadly, I agree.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too inconsistent, too defensively poor & miss too many passes. If we can stay in 11/12/13th we will have done very well and it will have been a far better season than anticipated imho

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had a better defence we would be OK but where we are now is about the max we can expect this season

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Please can someone from the club read the current threads and pass on the feedback up the line - the consensus is our current manager is not what Wolverhampton Wanderers need at the moment. If you are serious about OUR club then please get this sorted

Full of Xmas spirit (Bombay Sapphire) only 7 points off a European place - but for VAR we'd be in contention - can we do it.

Happy Christmas one and all
My oh my you've had quite a change of heart since your 'Message to Mr Shi' thread!

Never it be said that Wolves fans are fickle. At least you are very representative of the Mix. Merry Christmas!

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We're joint 10th in the premier league

Everyone can think or feel how they like but barring a couple of excellent seasons under Nuno, this is as good as its been in 43 years.

We've finished higher than where we are now 3 times in 50 years.

Enjoy it!!!

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Var 7 points (United, Luton, Newcastle, Sheff Utd and Fulham) and we’d be 7th on 29 points and talk would be of Europe and top-half. Even 5 points (accept winning at Luton would have been somewhat of a travesty) and we’d be in the mix with United, Brighton and Newcastle.

Realistically no chance are we reaching Europe. We are 7 points behind and the teams above us are more likely to quick on than blow up having been relatively poor.

What I see at the moment is a mid-table team. Win one, lose one. And I say a lower mid-table side.

Yes we can beat City, Spurs and Chelsea but we can also lose at Sheff Utd, Fulham, Palace and get battered by Luton.

Anywhere from 11-15th for me as things stand. 11th if key players stay fit. Couple of injuries and suspensions and 15th.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t think we had a chance in hell of beating City but we did :) :) :)
So secure a spot in Europe?…….maybe. Who knows?

But even if we don’t quite qualify, the higher we end up will make it easier in the summer to attract new players to join us.

I‘m not an apologist for Jeff/Fosun but to me the hiring of JL and his entourage, on big salaries was a signing of ambition. Ok, so the wheels came off that situation but it still showed that Fosun want better for Wolves.

So it’s reasonable to think they want Wolves back in Europe and/or a Cup win.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd rate it in the extremely unlikely category.
I think we'll end up 10th-16th, 8th would be an excellent season.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is a great Xmas present from Gary…..after several dismal seasons, we once again have hope other than survival.

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Europe would likely put us more at risk of relegation next season with our current squad, extra games and the limited amount Fosun would/could invest.

I'd love Wolves to be in Europe again, but now isn't the right time in my opinion. I'm quite content with where we are all things considered.

Our squad needs strengthening A LOT.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd love to know the real reason why Guo came over at this time. I hope it was to assess things and he could see the difficulty GON had putting a squad together yesterday. If he understands football he will see we are in a position where (with a couple of quality additions) we could aim at Europe but equally likely we could slip down the table where relegation is a concern. If I'm honest I think we'll end up lower mid-table, 12th- 15th.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd love to know the real reason why Guo came over at this time. I hope it was to assess things and he could see the difficulty GON had putting a squad together yesterday. If he understands football he will see we are in a position where (with a couple of quality additions) we could aim at Europe but equally likely we could slip down the table where relegation is a concern. If I'm honest I think we'll end up lower mid-table, 12th- 15th.
I’d be very surprised if a man in Guo’s position, didn’t get regular professional independent reports and projections on Wolves.
Also wouldn’t surprise me if Guo played a significant part in JL’s hiring.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won't get into Europe with this squad and we won't get relegated with this squad.
We are as mid table as we can possibly be at the moment.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about Europe this season, be happy with 10th-12th to be honest. I think we have the foundations of a very good side though. Just need a sprinkling of quality in certain positions in the summer, then who knows. Dare to dream!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I have few rules in life, but I'm sticking with 'never take an opinion on football seriously from a man who drinks gin'.

I was slightly worried about relegation after Saturday, grateful as I was for the points, I'm not planning a European tour based on a slightly fortunate win against a team that's struggling itself.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No harm in dreaming but we’ve won one game this season where we can definitively say we were the better side, Spurs at home. We were all over them.

We’ve been lucky in all the others we’ve picked up points from. But that’s football I suppose.

But in relation to the thread, we are nowhere near dominant enough in games to have a crack at Europe. We will sneak some wins and lose some daft ones. But there is no consistency.

And it’ll do for this season as we were a state on paper on and off the pitch just before it started.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top half. Probably too far behind to make an impression on the European spots and despite the points we've lost to ridiculous decisions, we're too leaky at the back to sustain any serious challenge for Europe

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Neto back and a few good signings don't see why we can't get ourselves in the race by Easter, then who knows.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a cat in hell's chance are we making Europe, for all the reasons already stated, not even the twopenny-halfpenny comps that are now included. As for 'the VAR points', they aren't points, just possible points if VAR hadn't treated us so shabbily. There is no guarantee that we'd have scored the pen at OT and without the pens against us in the other games, they may have panned-out differently or the opposition may have done something else. We'll never know, but to start counting points that we didn't win! In any case, all clubs in the Prem can say similar!

Last edited:

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not a cat in hell's chance are we making Europe, for all the reasons already stated, not even the twopenny-halfpenny comps that are now included. As for 'the VAR points', they aren't points, just possible points if VAR hadn't treated us so shabbily. There is no guarantee that we'd have scored the pen at OT and without the pens against us in the other games, they may have panned-out differently or the opposition may have done something else. We'll never know, but to start counting points that we didn't win! In any case, all clubs in the Prem can say similar!
Europa Conference could conceivably be 8th this season

We're 6 points off 8th with O'Neil still growing into role and possibly some reinforcements in Jan (Guo's in town)

Long shot but has to be our aim. If your not at least trying to get there then what's the point really?

More than a cat in hells chance I'd say.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We aren't making Europe. Top half would be a good season though. Especially given the lost VAR points

England has extra spots this year. And unless someone wants to correct me, down to 8th place can get in Europe this year

Edit: just looked into it, it depends on who wins the fa and league cup

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We're joint 10th in the premier league

Everyone can think or feel how they like but barring a couple of excellent seasons under Nuno, this is as good as its been in 43 years.

We've finished higher than where we are now 3 times in 50 years.

Enjoy it!!!
Great point and adds perspective.

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
Christ!! You must have hit it hard for lunch.

Zero chance.
Full bottle - just resurfacing after taking an early bath so to speak about 8pm last night

Well Bombay Sapphire was the drink that @Monk said he was drinking and that stuff looks for all the world like anti-freeze so perhaps the wrong liquid was consumed !!!!!
This morning my mouth feels like I have been drinking anti freeze!

I have few rules in life, but I'm sticking with 'never take an opinion on football seriously from a man who drinks gin'.
Not splitting hairs but I didn't offer an opinion - I asked a question

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No harm in dreaming but we’ve won one game this season where we can definitively say we were the better side, Spurs at home. We were all over them.

We’ve been lucky in all the others we’ve picked up points from. But that’s football I suppose.

But in relation to the thread, we are nowhere near dominant enough in games to have a crack at Europe. We will sneak some wins and lose some daft ones. But there is no consistency.

And it’ll do for this season as we were a state on paper on and off the pitch just before it started.
We haven't got the squad for consistency at this level....we have a good core of 12/14 players but are weak after that....

Rotation is important at this level to keep players fresh....for instance we can't expect lemina and Gomes to do what they do for us and remain consistent game after game....we are running them into the ground as such.... same can be said of hwang/Cunha ......Rayan/semedo....

Our starting 11 is probably max 8th to 12th position but our squad is 14th to say 16th level.....that's the problem...

Chuck in say 3 more players of a decent level we could finish top half easily.....have a couple of injuries we will still probably finish 15th.

Depth is the problem....

Back
Top Bottom