Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Podence

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can watch those chances via the link below. Just choose the relevant options.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Just thought it was an interesting statistic that was worthy of discussion.
Nothing wrong with your original post .My point was as soon as someone dived in to disagree others from both sides will no doubt do likewise

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PL stats are provided by Oracle Cloud, though big chances might be a different metric entirely. Bruno was the top big chance creator with 32, KDB second with 31. That sounds about right.

Can you share the Opta link, it would be interesting to see?

I presume it is this?

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just thought it was an interesting statistic that was worthy of discussion.
That has certainly surprised me and when you consider that he didn’t play at all or was sub/subbed, in a lot of games, it’s even more amazing.

Definitely gives food for thought but at the same time he can be as frustrating to watch as Adama. I suppose even if a quarter of those chances had been converted, we’d all have a different view of him.

Sutton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The analyst.com
PL stats are provided by Oracle Cloud, though big chances might be a different metric entirely. Bruno was the top big chance creator with 32, KDB second with 31. That sounds about right.

Can you share the Opta link, it would be interesting to see?

I presume it is this?

i stand corrected it was from The analyst . Com. I

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose the question is, how many of the 36 are actually good chances? The Oracle Cloud stats say he created 2 big chances. Apparently James Tarkowski (!) created 6 big chances!

Yes, and the key thing which is maybe confusing is that it's "most chances created without registering an assist" - so on the list of chances created, Podence could be 50th, it's just that the 49 above him were credited with an assist, meaning he rises to number one. You'd need to see the original list those 36 were taken from (and to compare where the likes of Adama, Cunha, etc are).

It's still a useful stat, because it shows he can be a creative force, which we're usually crying out for. Just a shame about other parts of his game.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A player I want to like, capable of the most sublime skills, but then mixes that with his darker side, the throwing himself on the floor feigning injury!!

On balance I like him, he gives us something different from the ordinary and is capable of changing a game in a flash.

The most striking thing about the stat is the abject failure to convert the chances created!! THAT’S OUR PROBLEM RIGHT THERE!

If we could solve that problem, we would be an entirely different proposition!! It would transform our team.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My eyes tell me he’s a cheat I’m afraid stats can be massaged to mean anything, if he stopped feigning injury I’d say keep him. As it is he’s embarrassing, and with his dives and face holds how many goals did that get for us or stop against us? The answer will be none

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A player I want to like, capable of the most sublime skills, but then mixes that with his darker side, the throwing himself on the floor feigning injury!!

On balance I like him, he gives us something different from the ordinary and is capable of changing a game in a flash.

The most striking thing about the stat is the abject failure to convert the chances created!! THAT’S OUR PROBLEM RIGHT THERE!

If we could solve that problem, we would be an entirely different proposition!! It would transform our team.
There were a couple of games where he and Fabio looked to be a promising partnership, before Large decided it looked too dangerous and dropped them both.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's clearly a talented player and he gets us the odd goal to be fair to him, but he's also a nob, a bit of a cheat and his decision making is more often than not utterly terrible. I've had enough of him personally tbh. I'd happily take back what we paid. Both him and Semedo I've lost patience with watching.

Sutton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, and the key thing which is maybe confusing is that it's "most chances created without registering an assist" - so on the list of chances created, Podence could be 50th, it's just that the 49 above him were credited with an assist, meaning he rises to number one. You'd need to see the original list those 36 were taken from (and to compare where the likes of Adama, Cunha, etc are).

It's still a useful stat, because it shows he can be a creative force, which we're usually crying out for. Just a shame about other parts of his game.
Exactly , the point being made was not one of the chances created by him were taken by his team mates. Which put him number one for that statistic.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its long been my view that Podence should be a core player for most games. If you get him on the ball, he
will in the course of a game create chances and dangerous situations, will make at least 2-3 good attempts
and will score on several occasions. In other words, better than the rest of the forward line.

In general, we are still imprisoned in a defensively minded approach, which only really worked in the first two
seasons, when Jimenez and Jota were one of the best front twos in Europe. The game at Premier level has moved
evermore to an attacking emphasis and we are being left behind. Using Podence properly is part of updating
Wolves' style overall.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally i think that MGW is a far better player, and I know that wont be a popular view on here, and i know that he did not want to stay so I dont wish to rehash that discussion.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really can't believe that stat, or at least their definition of a chance is different from mine.

As someone has said, I want to like him, on his day he's our most creative player. But he's inconsistent, injury prone and petulant.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
Podence is most definitely a proper little ****house.

But he is also our most creative player, I'm not so prissy that I cant put up with a few "continental antics" as they used to call them if it means he's contributing.

I see he's on a lads holiday at the moment with Costa, birds of a feather those two.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those that slag off Podence, he created 36 chances during this campaign, none of which were converted by his teammates which is the highest number in the league. Something to think about.
What does 'created 36 chances' mean? It's yet another crap statistic, which seem to be taking over our game -'most crosses by a left footed, black footballer with a tattoo of a snake on his arm'!!!!! Just *******s. And also if these so called chances were so great by Podence how come not one was converted? All *******s. I hope him and his 36 chances are moved on in the summer.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Says he created 2 big chances here;

Opta stats are far more reliable. Trusted by more elite sports too than any other “provider” of performance metrics.

The premier league one has odd rules that can remove a metric from a player like; cross taking a deflection isn’t an assist, but a tackle/blocked cross which rebounds to a team mate and they score from counts as an assist……

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
For those that slag off Podence, he created 36 chances during this campaign, none of which were converted by his teammates which is the highest number in the league. Something to think about.
How strange! Been telling my daughter, almost every day, Pod must go in the summer because nothing really comes off him, albeit he was our top scorer. Think I will have to think again!

StourWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Pretty sure he's into his last year of his contract and not sure if we have an option to extend. Would expect he's one of the players we look to move on

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is another debate on the quality of the strikers and midfielders tk hit the target/score affecting how we perceive a players ability.

Podence is a risk taker with passes, sometimes more in blind faith than odds on lol.

But with better strikers (movement and finishing) like adama, he would have more assists.

He contributes with goals to compensate this himself luckily.

Sadly our limp attack is the killer issue for us and more “progressive” “risk takers” getting the results/returns on the stats sheets.

It might explain why he gets so frustrated and also tries too hard at times.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think as a fan base we have a real problem with this type of player, and it's something we need to change.

I remember many people adamant on here that Grealish wasn't any good. It was similar criticisms to Podence, too many flicks, no end product etc.

The same with Morgan Gibbs-White. Like Grealish, you can (rightly) think he is a ****, they both are. Grealish's non-stop diving with Villa genuinely made them bordering on unwatchable. Every time he got the ball, he fell, and we all know what MGW is like, however it shouldn't detract from the fact they're both very good players, Grealish obviously better.

Of course, Podence isn't at that level, but we seem to only pick out the bad, and, like Grealish and MGW, the 'bad' isn't really that bad.

It's frustrating that he loses the ball with a flick, but is it really that much of a problem? He's trying something different. We have nothing else.

I genuinely like how our fan base dislikes his diving and theatrics, and again, it's frustrating, but is it worth all this? Again, I wish he'd stop but every player has flaws.

Podence was one of the main reasons we survived this season, some absolutely massive goals, and I believe he would thrive in a more possession based side. Unfortunately, seems best for all that he leaves this summer given his contract.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What does 'created 36 chances' mean? It's yet another crap statistic, which seem to be taking over our game -'most crosses by a left footed, black footballer with a tattoo of a snake on his arm'!!!!! Just *******s. And also if these so called chances were so great by Podence how come not one was converted? All *******s. I hope him and his 36 chances are moved on in the summer.
He also scored plenty (given our situ anyway).

He's not likeable but he is talented and moderately effective.

Back
Top Bottom