Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Player of the season...your top 3 contenders

Green Wolf

Reaction score
Think it’s time to properly crack this thread open now given that the division has only 6 or 7 games left to go.

Name your THREE contenders and maybe a short justification for each. Should be some very interesting choices and views on this!

W

wanderer24

Cav - ummm he never gives the ball away
Neves - best player in the league
Jota - the difference on the pitch most of the season

R

reanswolf

Neves, Diogo, Coady.
Just ahead of Cav.
With honourable mentions for Doc, Bazza, Willy, Saiss, and Bennett.

Last edited by a moderator:

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Jota- Skilful, quick, scored some massive goals, scored some beautiful goals.

Neves- Best player I’ve ever seen at Wolves.

Coady- the leader of this team. Plays like a fan.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves for obvious reasons. Best player but blotted his copybook with his stupid sending off against 'boro, otherwise he would be head and shoulders above the others.
Douglas. Decent LWB and has more assists than any other player in the Champo. Scored a coupe as well. Cost "nothing".
Coady. Captain courageous. Most improved player at Mol and plays some gorgeous passes. Surprise of the season.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a really difficult question.
There is about 6 who deserve it on their own individual merit/circumstances.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3751

Neves
Cav
Boly

For me Neves and Cav are battling it out for the win, then there's a little gap and you could put any one of about six into the top three

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it’s time to properly crack this thread open now given that the division has only 6 or 7 games left to go.

Name your THREE contenders and maybe a short justification for each. Should be some very interesting choices and views on this!
Neves, coady and boly

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves by a country mile because he is the best player i have ever seen in a Wolves shirt and yet I thought this about Jota too until he tailed away a little. So them 1 & 2....but strong shouts can then be made for:-

Cav - has come into his own since the end of last year, the guy is such a catalyst for all our good attacks and generally unplayable
Coady - captain, playing in a role he's never played, a complete inspiration
Douglas - the stats say it all and was cheap as chips
Boly - an absolute colossus, never seen a Wolves defender look so 100% confident in his ability
Saiss - massively underrated as he does a lot of the dirty work alongside Neves, can pass accurately at a very high success rate and is positionally excellent
Doherty - his workload has been immense and he is absolutely made for his role

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, so difficult this season. I’m going to indulge myself and list a few and reasons:

Doherty - absolutely vital to why we are such an attacking threat. A very underrated player who I think could hold his own in the PL. Part of me thinks he got sent off deliberately against Boro as he needs a rest as he’s played so much football.

Coady - biggest improvement in a player over 12 months I think I’ve ever seen. Captain fantastic, and his passing has been superb.

Boly - is of a class above any other centre back I’ve seen at this level and has been all season. Boro away in particular he was a man mountain and seemed to reveling in being part of a 9 man team trying to keep 11 (plus the ref) out.

Neves - 9/10 at least in every game he’s started. An incredible footballer that is a joy to watch.

Jota - up until Christmas in particular he was unplayable.

Cavaleiro - like a new signing this season. Unrecognizable performances from last season.

My top 3, if forced to narrow it down would be:

Neves
Cavaleiro
Doherty

S

Southbank Ebanks

Neves, the best player in the league.
After him I’m struggling to split 5. Jota, Boly, Coady, Cav and Doherty. Also honourable mention for Bonatini, poor second half of the season but without his goals at the start we wouldn’t be where we are now.

D

Deleted member 5910

1) Neves: As others have stated, this guy is not only the best midfielder in the history of the second tier, but also arguably the best in Wolves' modern history. I certainly can't think of one to come close, and he's only 21! His vision, composure, range of passes and ability to dominate the game is unbelievable for his age. Destined for the top- hopefully as Wolves captain.

2) Boly: A mountain with legs, he makes defending and the difficult art of playing out from the back look all too easy. We talk up the big-name attacking players, but we'd be nowhere near the current points tally without our big Willy and the other defenders. Attackers win you games, but defences win you leagues. Surely our first call to order is to get him signed up proper once we win promotion.

3) Cavaleiro: Having been a talented player who only showed up every few games last season, Cav has developed into our most indispensable attacking threat (even supplanting Jota). He is a terrifying prospect for defenders, as he can go inside or outside on either foot, is confident and quick, and also works his socks off to win back possession. He has either scored or set up 22 goals for us this season, and sits third in the Championship assist table- which is all the more impressive when you realise he hasn't relied on set pieces, like Douglas and Snodgrass above him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1. Cavaleiro
My personal POTS. He's been electric this season. Scares the **** out of defenders, weighed in with a load of goals and assists and plays with a smile on his face.

2. Neves
An absolutely crucial cog in the machine. I said at the start of the season getting a quality CM was more important to our hopes than a ST and in Neves we got a Rolls Royce.

3. Jota
Unplayable on his day. His form from August to December was superb. The way he gets back up (and dishes it back out) after being relentlessly kicked, pulled etc is remarkable. Tailed off possibly due to fatigue over the last couple of months but still been a constant threat.

Honourable mentions for Coady, Boly, Douglas and Doherty in what has been a ridiculously good season, but the three above get the nod from me.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best player - Neves
Most improved - Coady
Most consistent - Doherty

Boly, Douglas, Bennett, Saiss all deserve a mention though! What a team.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3. Jota hit the ground running this season and has carried our most potent
attacking threat almost throughout until finally succumbing to injury.
2. Neves also burst straight onto the scene with the most sublime passing many
of us have ever seen from a Wolves player.
1. Coady Passionate, vocal and charismatic and right at the heart of the team, a
rough stone that Nuno has forged into a real diamond and the leader
that we have long been waiting for.

Highly honourable mentions to just about every other regular player really - they have all played their own part in a truly sensational season.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves
Cav
Jota

Honourable mentions for Coady,Saiss,Boly and Douglas.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
As others have said, there are so many genuine contenders this year. However, as a fully paid up members of the forwards' union I'm going to stick to the mantra that it is far harder to create than destroy. So with that in mind:

1. Neves - Not only the best footballer that I have ever seen at Wolves but probably also the best player to have ever graced The Championship. From that first magical pass at home to Boro, he has been simply sublime. The heartbeat of the side. The conductor of the orchestra. Everything about him just oozes class (even his hair is magnificent).

2. Cavaleiro - His pure footballing ability has never been in doubt but his work-rate this season has been absolutely incredible. Carried the team forwards when others' form dropped around the Christmas period and is going to end up in double figures for both goals and assists. Has turned into the perfect hybrid of Kightly and Sako.

3. Jota - One of those who has faded slightly in 2018 but for those first few months he was the epitome of everything that was great about Nuno's revolution. Talent, work-rate and heart in abundance. Kicked from pillar to post on a weekly basis but never hid, never stopped being brave on the ball and showed the type of commitment and character that some doubted our foreigners would have.

Hugely honourable mentions for:
Boly - The Wall. Better than a number of defenders currently in Top 6 PL sides;
Doherty - Man of Steel who stepped up when we needed him most (Bristol, Leeds, Reading). Such a shame his ever-present run has come to an end in such circumstances;
Coady - Captain, Leader, Inspiration. His whole season was summed up in the 96th minute at Middlesbrough when he took a thunderous goalbound shot squarely in the chest. Destined to become a Wolves cult hero;
Douglas - That wand of a left-foot. More assists than anyone else in The Championship is a remarkable achievement. So pleased that he and Doherty got their international call-ups;
Saiss - Has proved the perfect foil for Neves and another who really turned up when the chips were down (last minute at Bristol City away, dragging his body to the point of exhaustion at Middlesbrough).

And to think there are still others like Bennett, Costa, Leo and Ruddy whose performances have also contributed greatly to our success.

Like the Ambassador in the Ferraro Rocher adverts....Wolves, you are really spoiling us this year...

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's all about the team, can't pick one, give it to Ikeme

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cav
Doherty
Coady

In that order.

Neves and Jota are obviously the most talented and gifted footballers at the club. Jota has been immense especially first half of the season. Neves is an absolute joy to watch! But these 2 don’t need the accolade.

Although Neves is clearly our best ‘footballer’ the 3 I have chosen are the crucial elements to our side.

Coady - who would have thought it but ‘wow’ ... he is the leader of this team and the position is now plays is tailor made for him. But him, Bennet and Boly make an absolutely outstanding back 3 partnership.

Doherty - Mr Kevin Foley mark 2 ... vital to the way we play and he is perfect for that position, best way to describe him would be a Volvo. Not as flashy as some others but he does a fantastic job and can be relied upon over and over and over.

Cav - This guy just edges it for me as he sets the tempo for the way we play. Without any of the above players we would be a poorer side but I think we are at our weakest when this guy isn’t playing. Our spell when he was on the bench for a few games on the trot and everytime he came on we were like a different side!

S

Shifnal Wolf

Neves - Best Wolves player and best player in the league by a country mile (not the little runt Grealish)

Boly - Beast of a defender and the best since Lescott and Richards (my era). If he does well next season he will be better than both of them.

Coady - Captain who has created so much with his vision and IMO has been the find of the season.

(Sorry Cav & Jota)

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would go the following in this order:

1) Cav
2) Jota
3) Boly
4) Neves
5) Coady
6) Doherty

In any other season all 6 would win it. I would be happy with any of them winning it but Cav shades it for me. I just feel he has single handedly won us a few games and is our most important attacking player. His work rate is phenomenal and his skill is just as good. The Bristol City result, which incidentally was my favourite of the season, was as a direct result of Cav coming on. Whoever wins it will deserve it though.

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
Normally I'd be pretty certain who my nominee is and who just misses out but this year I'm going to wait until the last possible moment to decide!

Can make a good case (for different reasons) for Coady (transformation and leadership), Boly ("Big French wall"), Neves (unreal ability and class), Saiss (improvement, consistency, workrate), Doc (ever present until tonight, adaptation/improvement), Douglas (set-piece marvel), Cav (impetus/assists), and Jota (goals, assists, all-round play). Even Bennett has been great since being picked and Bonatini was fantastic for the first few months!

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc because he had the toughest position on the team and has had no rest since day one

Neves because of his unbelievable control of the ball and that vision without compare, delivering the most wonderful passes!

Bolly because he makes defending look so easy at times!

Green Wolf

Reaction score
Well I’ll give my view now...

In no particular order...

Doherty - most improved player, effort, consistency and chipped in with the odd goal. Linked up brilliantly wit Cav.

Cavaleiro - skills, strength, pace. Frightens the opposition to death. Goals and assists. Drives the ball forward.

Jota - simply awesome. Made up that he is signing permanently in the summer. A true warrior given the physical abuse he has received. Skills. Pace. Goals. Assists.

Honourable mention - Wily Boly. The man is a mountain. A beast. A mountain beast. And so on...

Back
Top Bottom