Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Palace verdict

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I'm 50/50 about Lage so far, it's far to early to be panicking imo. Yes I was disappointed in the way we set up Saturday but Palace are one of the most in form teams atm. To me the mid table teams are very much of a muchness, you have the top 3 head and shoulders above everyone else, West Ham playing great up there but after that, there's not much between 5th-17th and I include Spurs, Utd and Arsenal in that.
Palace were indeed one of the most in-form teams. We were top, prior to Sat, of the current form chart....

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just admit you blew it on the team selection, and that you were once again slow to react

The squad is totally unsuited to playing against that type of football, this was apparent when Watford dicked us in October 2018. We have suffered defeat after defeat in every game coming up against this style, shipping six points to a Huddersfield side that finished on 14, conceding six goals to Burnley last season.

No matter what side he puts out, we don't have the players.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The squad is totally unsuited to playing against that type of football, this was apparent when Watford dicked us in October 2018. We have suffered defeat after defeat in every game coming up against this style, shipping six points to a Huddersfield side that finished on 14, conceding six goals to Burnley last season.

Yep. Spiers touches on it today in a piece about Traore, saying Lage already acknowledged before the game that Palace would press us, meaning the space between the lines would be limited, which is where Trincao was so effective. So why didn't Traore play?

Having Trincao and Podence in a side that doesn't want the ball is pointless. Then, the midfield as you touch on, which is a problem for years.

We should be a good, attacking side with the players we have and as many have rightly said, we play not to lose.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think it's an attitude thing as much as anything else personally.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What on earth was he expecting when he analysed matches?

Absolutely no logic in starting moutinho and neves as a pair
Impossible to believe we have such a poor midfield squad which has been a problem for a couple of years. Shamefully poor by Shi and whoever else is involved in recruitment. Lage has no chance with this midfield (don’t get me started on the defence…).

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's an attitude thing as much as anything else personally.
It very well could be, we're just soft.
It doesn't help that 3/4 of our CBs are inexperienced in the role (Saiss didnt follow the traditional route into football via an academy, and has been a CB for 2 seasons, Coady was converted to a sweeper, Kilman again didn't follow the traditional route) and this tells when coming up against "bully" strikers. Normally the system covers their deficiencies (by cutting out shooting opportunities), but none of our defenders really have it within themselves to come out on top Vs these types of strikers.

Whether or not it's attitude or competence, we are into our fourth season if this being a glaring weakness, and our "recruitment" team have done **** all about it, except for cut our squad depth to the bone.

Charlie176

Groupie
Reaction score
Feel like there is a pattern of being adverse to change things at HT ….if it isn’t working then you change things around….the 10 minutes after HT is crucial to having an impact on the result and gaining control of the game , just feel like we leave it too long before making changes which become to our detriment…..

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Our midfield don't lack attitude they are just not physically very gifted. Joao is tiny and slow, Ruben has a bit of size but isn't going to be mistaken for a big ball winner. Donk basically doesn't impact games with or without the ball.

It's just not a good/balanced unit.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our midfield don't lack attitude they are just not physically very gifted. Joao is tiny and slow, Ruben has a bit of size but isn't going to be mistaken for a big ball winner. Donk basically doesn't impact games with or without the ball.

It's just not a good/balanced unit.
Absolutely. Even worse - there is no one to bring in that is anywhere good enough.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Funny that you mention that Watford game, that is exactly the match that the Palace game reminded me of. (partly as we went into that one on a high, too, but didn't turn up, similar to Saturday). Not just the Palace match, it has been a feature again and again - our midfield getting waltzed through. If lucky, heroic last ditch tackles save us, but eventually luck runs out, the defence is stretched once too often and breaks.

Agree that it is a problem with our squad - especially that as well as having only 3 first team midfielders, they are all a bit too similar. While they do have strengths and are all fine players in their own right, the problem with Donk, Neves and Moutinho is the phrase I heard on here : "slow and ponderous". Whatever they do, it will never be done fast. Neves has improved since our promotion, but still requires too much time on the ball to be at his most dangerous. Opponents know that if they give them no time in possession and then play fast through them, that our midfield virtually disappears. Or at least falls back to about 5 yards in front of our own penalty area, thus negating any attacking threat.

Makes you realise how Nuno made lots of subtle changes - his solutions! All these problems, we hit before and at his best, Nuno found ways of working around weaknesses in our players and playing to their strengths. No surprise Bruno is having the same problems, it's 95% the same players as the last season. Seems he's stuck, without major signings, in employing the same solutions as Nuno did. Basically, to become ultra-defensive, grind opponents down to a halt, while we try and snatch something on the break from one of our rapid forwards.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. Even worse - there is no one to bring in that is anywhere good enough.

Yep. It's as much that there's no variation as not being good enough. I reckon that any of Neves, Moutinho or Dendonker would be a welcome addition to any squad outside of the Big 6 (Neves probably even to a Big 6 club). But only one of them, not all of them!

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I the only person that can see why Palace have drawn so many games? Yes they had lots of possession but for a lot of the time it was possession going nowhere and Sa really didn't have much in the way of saves to make. But for 2 pieces of horrendous Wolves, self inflicted play gifting them goals I really wasn't that impressed.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I the only person that can see why Palace have drawn so many games? Yes they had lots of possession but for a lot of the time it was possession going nowhere and Sa really didn't have much in the way of saves to make. But for 2 pieces of horrendous Wolves, self inflicted play gifting them goals I really wasn't that impressed.

They are solid though. And all get stuck in. They are a quality CDM, CF, and CB away from a really good side.

Vieira will do well I think. Knows how to play football and won’t take any ****

Reaction score
O K GUYS I'M BACK what's all this negative on the mix .don't for get we have a new manager with a new style of play which the players have to get there heads around hell get a couple of his own players in January ones an attacking midfielder other one a centre half look at the table guys where doing o k think Bruno will turn out a good un .and
Welcome back, it’s built into every wolves fan as you well know to be pessimistic about everything wolves :)
from my sorce forsen have big plans for Molineux we ant going anywhere the new Molineux will be constructed around the old one like Liverpool
Do tell, dates, timescales and capacity number ASAP or it’s not real :)
are doing that's why northing being done anymore I e gratham h s .and not putting any more.standing rails in .not going to throw good money after bad .forsen are very aware of the fans waiting list which is getting bigger every week so my friends exciting times ahead good to be back .had a very hard 15 month's since I lost my wife to cancer but have found a new partner who's turned my life around with my late wife's blessing she told me 6 weeks before she passed to find a lady to look after me when she passed

Sorry for your loss, good to hear you are doing well, UTW!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talking of central midfield I've wondered whether Hoever here might be an option. Quick and he is decent on the ball. It is a very left field suggestion I know.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Which football? English? I hear you, it’s true, but we had the finesse team out there. Leander and Adama would’ve helped a bit. Had to do something.

If a game is 0-0 and one team is unlucky not to have scored, and looks likely, that means the other team has been lucky. We’ve been the latter team. Bruno seems to see 0-0 as equal when we’re on the wrong end of things, and instead of counting his blessings and switching it up, he stays on the collision course and waits for the inevitable. It must be ego, waiting for himself to be proved correct. 0-0 is fine, the plan must be working fine type of thing. He can’t be the last to know we’re getting walked. Must learn, I’m sure he will.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. Everybody knows we even lack quantity in midfield, never mind the quality. Seemed to me the sure sign of what we miss was on the pitch - but playing for Palace. Is there a Portugese Gallagher? Maybe a bit older and more experienced. Shame about Pedro Goncalves, isn't it? Seems like he could have been the difference we need.

After the central midfielder, that back up goalscorer is needed, I agree. For exactly that reason. We only have two goal scorers at the moment - Raul and Hwang. Neto of course, but he's out for ages. We are an injury to Raul or Hwang away from a fall, because without them, our goals will dry up. Priority must be to sign Hwang, if he maintains existing form. A bit inconsistent, but the one thing he has that we desperately lack, he scores goals. Having let Goncalves and Mir slip away, really don't want to let others go the same way. If Hwang doesn't stay, we simply have to get a goal scoring forward in from elsewhere. Raul and Neto would be too risky.

Forget defenders and wing backs. We have more than enough of them! It's not the defence holding us back in any way at all. We have a great defence that could provide the foundation to build on. Not convicned by the wingbacks TBH, though as said above, we need to address issues in priority order and it is central midfield and going forward that we are weak and one injury away from crises.
A bit off topic but...

How about the English Conor Gallagher: Conor Gallagher? We'd need to pay big bucks yes but surely we're at the level now to go in for quality young British talent? He's exactly the kind of box-to-box midfielder this team has been crying out for for at least two years. Everyone can see it, but sadly Mendes' returns aren't as high for your more bread and butter players (is this a fair assessment? It seems it to me - your young Portuguese attacking players can double in value simply by showing they can hack it in the PL).

The Mendes route has been the main factor in our recent success but it's time to diversify our approach to recruitment. Not saying Gallagher is necessarily the answer, just using him as an example.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit off topic but...

How about the English Conor Gallagher: Conor Gallagher? We'd need to pay big bucks yes but surely we're at the level now to go in for quality young British talent? He's exactly the kind of box-to-box midfielder this team has been crying out for for at least two years. Everyone can see it, but sadly Mendes' returns aren't as high for your more bread and butter players (is this a fair assessment? It seems it to me - your young Portuguese attacking players can double in value simply by showing they can hack it in the PL).

The Mendes route has been the main factor in our recent success but it's time to diversify our approach to recruitment. Not saying Gallagher is necessarily the answer, just using him as an example.

I've given up expecting any home-grown players, capable of making a significant impact, coming to us. For pretty much the reason you say. Are we at liberty to diversify our recruitment?

Tors

Reaction score
Not rocket science, their midfield was always going to murder ours, given our formation, classic sissors cuts paper.

Wolfiebill

Groupie
Reaction score
I agree with all that's been said about the poor performance etc. I would like to add that I thought that Gallagher could have done a LOT more to avoid kicking Sa in the head when they both went for the ball. I'm not saying that that incident had a dramatic effect on the result, but it just seemed nasty to me.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's funny how after players all bumping their gums in the media about how great things are going etc they then put in no effort and get well beaten. Talk about taking their eye of the ball.

It's simple, you have to turn up every game in the EPL,

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit off topic but...

Gallagher was brilliant. Kids going places but can see Chelsea selling to the highest bidder.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not rocket science, their midfield was always going to murder ours, given our formation, classic sissors cuts paper.

Not sure we could have done anything other than restrict them using formation. Perhaps ground out a draw, with a bit of luck. Their players just played better than ours, regardless of formation. Might even be that they have some players who are better than ours. No formation is going to turn Mout/Neves/Donk into a dynamic, mobile midfielder, like Gallagher, for example. At best, we could have focussed on stopping him. But over 90 minutes, we'd have created nothing and still been lucky to contain them.

R

reanswolf

I thought they had several good openings 2nd half whereas we created nothing.
I was hopeful before the game because I associated Palace as being the only team with a slower midfield than ours, but of course they now have O'Conner too.
WIth our midfield, it feels like being stuck in 2nd gear at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Laughable how Benteke made fools of our defenders on multiple occasions and exposed our complete lack of midfield mobility

View attachment 24968

For their first goal, he backs into Kilman,deepening our offside line (doesn't matter anyway thanks to Coady and Saiss), but most importantly preventing the defensive line from pushing forward and preventing the midfielder from attacking our box

For the second he does the same thing to Saiss, Moutinho doesn't even bother tracking the runner.

View attachment 24970

Once you're goal side of our midfield, they're not going to catch up or effect the play.
Burnley will have a field day Vs this defending.
Think you're being harsh on Neves, who on many occasions during his Wolves career has made up ground on attacking players and got some last ditch tackles in. Moutinho, with all due respect, is past it and needs replacing, as does Coady.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve missed out chance with Gallagher. While at the Albion we should have bid for him. Going to take silly money offer for Chelsea to consider I reckon. Plus is now London media boy so adds to the value plus English.
Outside tip to make next year word cup squad. I

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O K GUYS I'M BACK what's all this negative on the mix .don't for get we have a new manager with a new style of play which the players have to get there heads around hell get a couple of his own players in January ones an attacking midfielder other one a centre half look at the table guys where doing o k think Bruno will turn out a good un .and from my sorce forsen have big plans for Molineux we ant going anywhere the new Molineux will be constructed around the old one like Liverpool are doing that's why northing being done anymore I e gratham h s .and not putting any more.standing rails in .not going to throw good money after bad .forsen are very aware of the fans waiting list which is getting bigger every week so my friends exciting times ahead good to be back .had a very hard 15 month's since I lost my wife to cancer but have found a new partner who's turned my life around with my late wife's blessing she told me 6 weeks before she passed to find a lady to look after me when she passed
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which football? English? I hear you, it’s true, but we had the finesse team out there. Leander and Adama would’ve helped a bit. Had to do something.

If a game is 0-0 and one team is unlucky not to have scored, and looks likely, that means the other team has been lucky. We’ve been the latter team. Bruno seems to see 0-0 as equal when we’re on the wrong end of things, and instead of counting his blessings and switching it up, he stays on the collision course and waits for the inevitable. It must be ego, waiting for himself to be proved correct. 0-0 is fine, the plan must be working fine type of thing. He can’t be the last to know we’re getting walked. Must learn, I’m sure he will.
To be fair, I think most managers are like that. Want to give their starting line-up as much time on the field as possible to prove them right in starting them! Then only react when **** hits the fan and even then too late, because they want their starting line-up to make this right! How refreshing it would be to find have a manager who said **** it at 0-0 and have a go.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think you're being harsh on Neves, who on many occasions during his Wolves career has made up ground on attacking players and got some last ditch tackles in. Moutinho, with all due respect, is past it and needs replacing, as does Coady.

Don't think I've been harsh on Neves (I didn't name drop him) Gallagher is goal side and he's never going to catch him, the defence should push up but can't because Benteke is backing into Kilman so they're holding the offside trap.

In terms of Coady:

Passes Vs Everton:
5af6249891a8fe59c346e1d07f1ba844c6ee377bdcbedbe66b5ffece.png

Passes Vs Palace:
6b1955961552fcf51e3caf19af3cf50fa83234a6f2d3fad4cc264ff3.png

Amazing how sticking a (fairly immobile) striker on him completely kills his game.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think I've been harsh on Neves (I didn't name drop him) Gallagher is goal side and he's never going to catch him, the defence should push up but can't because Benteke is backing into Kilman so they're holding the offside trap.

In terms of Coady:

Passes Vs Everton:
View attachment 25030

Passes Vs Palace:
View attachment 25031

Amazing how sticking a (fairly immobile) striker on him completely kills his game.
It was this general comment that I think Neves should be excluded from. Moutinho and Dendonker, yes applies to them for sure, but Neves has on many occasions in his Wolves career, has made up ground and got back.

"Once you're goal side of our midfield, they're not going to catch up or effect the play."

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O K GUYS I'M BACK what's all this negative on the mix .don't for get we have a new manager with a new style of play which the players have to get there heads around hell get a couple of his own players in January ones an attacking midfielder other one a centre half look at the table guys where doing o k think Bruno will turn out a good un .and from my sorce forsen have big plans for Molineux we ant going anywhere the new Molineux will be constructed around the old one like Liverpool are doing that's why northing being done anymore I e gratham h s .and not putting any more.standing rails in .not going to throw good money after bad .forsen are very aware of the fans waiting list which is getting bigger every week so my friends exciting times ahead good to be back .had a very hard 15 month's since I lost my wife to cancer but have found a new partner who's turned my life around with my late wife's blessing she told me 6 weeks before she passed to find a lady to look after me when she passed
Sorry for your loss also mate....up the wolves

Back
Top Bottom