Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score
I was there but don't recall it being a night match. It was the last home game of 1976-7, 3pm Saturday kick off. Game finished 1-1, Richards scored our goal. We finished as Champs, Chelsea 2nd Forest 3rd (3rd place was automatic promotion at that time), but only because we beat Notlob 4-0 in the last game of the season, robbing them of 3rd spot. If Carlsberg made football seasons.....
Bolton was 1-0 at Burnden Park I believe. Hobbit clever free kick I recall, long time ago though. Chelsea was 1-1 at our place 3-3 at theirs was at em all.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From memory I would say 79/80
Definitely not 76/77
I was just going on the Chelsea game at the end of 76-77, but maybe they went in the South Bank because it was Chelsea. Also I remember us playing Blackpool on a night game that season and there were plenty of “singers“ in the South Bank that night, but again it might have been a gradual migration and it was definitely split between north and south for a while.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheers mate, we learn something new everyday.
that fella in the pic looks like an old mate who emigrated to OZ back in the early 70s, Dennis Murphy. (Spud)
So has this BSK guy received100th birthday cards from both Queen Victoria and Liz, :cool:
I'm sure that @Big Saft Kid will be well impressed with the pair of you lol...

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was just going on the Chelsea game at the end of 76-77, but maybe they went in the South Bank because it was Chelsea. Also I remember us playing Blackpool on a night game that season and there were plenty of “singers“ in the South Bank that night, but again it might have been a gradual migration and it was definitely split between north and south for a while.
Yep definitely a gradual migration but in 76 it was still North bank , remember the last game of that season when we lost 3-1 to Liverpool to send us down and they won the league, horrible horrible night

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
From memory I would say 79/80
Definitely not 76/77
I recall it was the 77/78 season back in the old first division after our promotion.

Thinking back to August 1978, and the Chelsea fans North Bank invasion, by the start of the 78/79 season all the hard core singers had left for sure.

I stayed in the North Bank with my dad but recall a friend of mine who came with us by car, left us to walk up to the South Bank.

The seasons do tend to merge over the decades, so I could out by one. But as you correctly say Ercall, definitely not 76/77.

I should point out, that this is about which season Wolves fans defected from the North Bank to join singers already in the South Bank, probably from the mid-70s, making it a much larger and louder group.

Last edited:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The funny thing is, despite the thread name. Most of my fond memories were away games.

Mostly mid 1980s to mid 2000s.

Met some lovely people. Great memories and some good football (and some crap. But we didn’t care)

Agreed. Despite having the worst team I can remember Wolves having, four of us used to go to nearly every game during the dark days of the mid eighties. The football might not have been great, but we had some good days travelling around the country. Wolves usually lost, but that didn’t deter us.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheers mate, we learn something new everyday.
that fella in the pic looks like an old mate who emigrated to OZ back in the early 70s, Dennis Murphy. (Spud)
So has this BSK guy received100th birthday cards from both Queen Victoria and Liz, :cool:
Cheeky young beggar! I am only 75! First game in the South Bank 1954.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cheeky young beggar! I am only 75! First game in the South Bank 1954.

My sincere apologies Sir, my Dad always said show total respect to your seniors, LOL
PS; you beat me by a year so have a cigar, plus heads up on Billy Wrights dad being in your class at school. :cool:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My sincere apologies Sir, my Dad always said show total respect to your seniors, LOL
PS; you beat me by a year so have a cigar, plus heads up on Billy Wrights dad being in your class at school. :cool:
Chignal, you've been on here 6 years; shame on you that you are unaware of the oracle, BSK!

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
My first match was in the North Bank in 1974 and I stood and looked in awe at the South Bank and soon migrated there. My Dad told me, against my wishes, I could only go to the Chelsea night game you mention if I went in the North Bank as it wouldn't be safe in the South Bank. He said he'd pick me up after the game by the NB Souvenir Shop.

View attachment 38730

As it worked out 13 year old me ended up on the pitch and remember "telling off" Peter Bonnetti about his fans whilst my old man was stood on the car park with Chelsea one side via the Waterloo Road and Wolves (South Bank) coming down Molineux Street. When we finally met up I spent the entire walk home telling him I was right, I'd have been safer in the South Bank.
I had a part time job in the North Bank shop from 1974 to 1982 when the club went into administration. The shop was managed by Harvey and Yvonne Andrews, and the late John Henley ( Fozzy) worked in there as well. Some great times including a night in a pub in Gnosall with the League Cup in 1980. Harvey borrowed it for the night, you can’t imagine that being allowed now!

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Chignal, you've been on here 6 years; shame on you that you are unaware of the oracle, BSK!
6 years shock horror, thought I was the new kid on the block.

yeah but like all these short abbreviation's ? like BRB, TY, etc etc used by the grandkids in texts they send me goes straight over my head,
I thought BSK was one of them, so your now NNW LOL.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This YouTube channel is an absolute treasure trove for some of the more mature fans on here

Brilliant find. Thank you.

the game vs Ipswich (at Molineux) 9th Nov 1974 is very personal to me...

I was 2 so obviously not at the game(!), but at 2.45 on the video of that game, the ball goes out of play in front of the Molineux Street stand. And as Derek Parkin takes the throw, as clear as day is my late uncle who introduced me and my brothers to a lifetime of supporting Wolves, as well as my eldest brother sat there, so clearly. My eldest brother was 8 at the time. He is now 57. My uncle (in the sheepskin lapelled jacket on the right) sadly passed several years ago. My brother is the blonde haired kid sat two seats away from him.

the ball goes back out of play in the same area about 10 seconds later and they are all laughing.

A freeze frame of that exact clip is framed in my mums bungalow.

RIP uncle Tony.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
6 years shock horror, thought I was the new kid on the block.

yeah but like all these short abbreviation's ? like BRB, TY, etc etc used by the grandkids in texts they send me goes straight over my head,
I thought BSK was one of them, so your now NNW LOL.
I've been a lot worse than NNW on here but you've obviously missed all that too!

Bull Army

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This YouTube channel is an absolute treasure trove for some of the more mature fans on here

Gonna piggy back off this comment to promote my channel, where I've compiled playlists of all available Wolves match footage, all the way back from 1904 through to the end of the 1990s, with over 1000 videos avaiilable in chronological order.

Gonna piggy back off this comment to promote my channel, where I've compiled playlists of all available Wolves match footage, all the way back from 1904 through to the end of the 1990s, that I can find on YouYube, with over 1000 videos avaiilable in chronological order.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gonna piggy back off this comment to promote my channel, where I've compiled playlists of all available Wolves match footage, all the way back from 1904 through to the end of the 1990s, that I can find on YouYube, with over 1000 videos avaiilable in chronological order.

That sounds like a labour of love. Let me say thank you and l'll have a nose.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Great channel mate though I struggle to watch much 90s footage as the scars run too deep!

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
I remember that shop well. One of my main recollections was that the counter was very high, or I was still very short!
It may be memory playing it's usual tricks but my recollection is that the high counter was in the shop that was in the North Bank itself. Remember the world cup referee Jack Taylor serving in the portacabin.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spring 1992. Construction of the then new North Bank, first of Sir Jack’s new stands. Views towards the old South Bank (segregated fans), and (closed) Waterloo Road stand from the Steve Bull.

Came across my old photos while browsing through my files. Can’t remember what game that was.

PS. Thanks to the detective work of some Mixers, confirmed it was the last last of the 91/92 season against Boro. We lost 2-1, and through the win, Boro gained promotion. YouTube game highlights posted in a later post.

1992_105.jpeg1992_115.jpeg1992_113.jpeg1992_119.jpeg1992_116.jpeg1992_118.jpeg1992_117.jpeg1992_107.jpeg1992_111.jpeg

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Spring 1992. Construction of the then new North Bank, first of Sir Jack’s new stands. Views towards the old South Bank (segregated fans), and (closed) Waterloo Road stand from the Steve Bull.

Came across my old photos while browsing through my files. Can’t remember what game that was.

View attachment 38892View attachment 38893View attachment 38894View attachment 38895View attachment 38896View attachment 38897View attachment 38898View attachment 38899View attachment 38900
Great photos, given the amount of red in the away section and looking at the home games from the second half of 1992, I would think it's Bristol City, or maybe more likely given the NB looks nearly done maybe the last game of the season v Boro? Did you bump into a young lady coming out of the away end and never look back?

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
Great photos, given the amount of red in the away section and looking at the home games from the second half of 1992, I would think it's Bristol City, or maybe more likely given the NB looks nearly done maybe the last game of the season v Boro? Did you bump into a young lady coming out of the away end and never look back?
It's got to be the last game of the season v Boro. If you zoom in on the Waterloo rd stand you can see the damage from the arson attack the night before.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's got to be the last game of the season v Boro. If you zoom in on the Waterloo rd stand you can see the damage from the arson attack the night before.

Great spot.

It would make sense it was against Boro. I met my Boro supporting wife at Uni, which would have been about 18 months prior to this game, and that’s a logical reason to have gone to this game and taken a camera.

Weird that elsewhere in my photo album I have very similar photos of the current North Bank being built!

The match “highlights” from that game.

Last edited:

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 38892View attachment 38893View attachment 38894View attachment 38895View attachment 38896View attachment 38897View attachment 38898View attachment 38899View attachment 38900
These are really great to see. So many things that jog the memory.

Silly thing to say but it really doesn't seem that long ago.

Back
Top Bottom