Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do love abit of nostalgia me.
I starting going down wolves early 80s when I was old enough and it fascinates me seeing what Molineux looked like then and before and makes me sad in a strange way how surrounding area has changed due to developments over years.
Here's a few photos I've found after digging.

20200417_134659.jpg
Where the houses start I think that now is where the front of steve bull is. Bit strange it was required as the road wouldve been gap between stand and pitch.

20200417_135308.jpg
Obviously not stadium but a boozer just up from ground on Stafford rd, me grandad used to tell me he drank here around watching games.

20200417_135709.jpg
The walk up to Molineux we took many times. The smell of blood and **** was rank.

20200417_140412.jpg
Top of Molineux Alley in 1910. No story but fascinating ain't it. Boring to many to to picture the difference really stretches the mind.

Any more?

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
20200417_180414.jpg
Another from back of the bully one matchday without the terrace houses. Which is a shame?
A mates relative used to live in one of those houses, lost touch to ask how the club compensated.

Also, meks me sad seeing feathers and wanderer. ****ing ****ers taking them off us.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Somebody put these on Twitter earlier, Charity Match circa 1984 they believe. Shows how vast the South Bank is! Would love to see something that big again with the new development

3x1xst.jpg

3x1x8k.jpg

3x1y27.jpg

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the most iconic photo for me. The London Wolves coach would drop us off and I think we went in via that little door just behind the person with the push chair. Must have been the late 60s/early 70s. It seems crazy now but we used to mingle with the players, it must have been before ko, and they'd sign autographs and chat. I've still got the autographs on scrappy bits of note paper; I recently sent the Doog's autograph to Rusty Staples who is massive Doog fan and a collector of his memorabilia. I also remember coming out of a little door at the corner of the Waterloo Rd stand by the North Bank and take up position behind the goal. Was that the door the players came out of? This is a great time to do memory threads like this!

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
The above photo shows the Feathers pub and the view down North Street, where the Steve Bull stand currently stands.
Lived in North Street in the early 70s, our first house. Moved to Penn Fields when I was about 3 or 4 when the council bought our house.

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Two
Amazing as you can see the old triangular roof stand in front of the new build? I wonder why they did not demolish the old stand and then build the new stand on top?!

Two reasons I think. If you look at the Ariel imprint of the old Molineux Street stand. Very wide at the South Bank end and very narrow at the North Bank end. So building on the original footprint was not practical without demolishing the houses on Molineux Street. The second reason was on 'total ground' expansion meaning by building behind the original stand paved the way to move Molineux sideways to allow a narrow Waterloo Road 'New Stand' to increase in size away from the immovable Waterloo Road. The only problem is the plans had to survive nearly going out of business and then wait for the resurrection of Molineux overseen by Sir Jack

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Looking towards the Cowshed North Bank, Waterloo Road on left. Early warning of what the view would be like from the John Ireland stand on the right...
molineuxpast2.jpg
Remember the first time sitting in the John Ireland stand- seems like yesterday. Was amazed how good it felt sitting in a seat rather than standing next to a load of blokes that smell of BO and ciggies, that swore all the time, you could go for a pish and wasn’t swimming in urine and ****e- and you could get a bovril if you wanted. Then, after about an hour, realised that the players or pitch were possibly not even in Staffordshire, they might be in Warwickshire or even Lincolnshire. And we lost to Brighton. Me Dad’s eyes weren’t that great either, meaning he was asking us constantly what was happening. Horrible stand.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember the first time sitting in the John Ireland stand- seems like yesterday. Was amazed how good it felt sitting in a seat rather than standing next to a load of blokes that smell of BO and ciggies, that swore all the time, you could go for a pish and wasn’t swimming in urine and ****e- and you could get a bovril if you wanted. Then, after about an hour, realised that the players or pitch were possibly not even in Staffordshire, they might be in Warwickshire or even Lincolnshire. And we lost to Brighton. Me Dad’s eyes weren’t that great either, meaning he was asking us constantly what was happening. Horrible stand.
My first visit to Molineux (lost to Sunderland 1981), I sat in the John Ireland stand and was in total awe. I was 9, and as I had never seen the old Molineux Street stand I had nothing to compare it to. Such a dominant stand that was so isolated, and red, and totally shattered everything about our history. And sadly it created the new chapter in our history...

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
My first visit to Molineux (lost to Sunderland 1981), I sat in the John Ireland stand and was in total awe. I was 9, and as I had never seen the old Molineux Street stand I had nothing to compare it to. Such a dominant stand that was so isolated, and red, and totally shattered everything about our history. And sadly it created the new chapter in our history...
Mine was the 0-2 Brighton defeat in 81 season. I was 8. At least we met Butch Wilkins after the match, after visiting the legendary club shop and buying my ‘Wolves Are Magic’ scarf ( I’ve still got it) Crap day, but also amazing as well.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mine was the 0-2 Brighton defeat in 81 season. I was 8. At least we met Butch Wilkins after the match, after visiting the legendary club shop and buying my ‘Wolves Are Magic’ scarf ( I’ve still got it) Crap day, but also amazing as well.
I stand corrected after checking, my first game was against Sunderland in January 1982, not 1981.

jeb01

Reaction score
It was around about there where I once climbed over using a telegraph post to inch myself up between it and the wall. It was a Hell of a drop on the other side. I only did it once!
As always, there are a couple of guys trying to go against the flow. Some things never change!

S

ShropshireLad

As always, there are a couple of guys trying to go against the flow. Some things never change!
Oh well, tant pis. Jack Hayward, even, used to climb in for free on a regular basis. He even crawled in under a gate when he was very young.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeb01

Reaction score
My first game was in the early 1960’s vs Chelsea when I was about 9. Went with my dad and sat in the old Molineux Street stand. My memory tells me we won, but when I looked it up some years ago I think it was 2 - 2.
Seem to remember we had Terry Wharton (aka “the flying pig”) on one wing and a South African lad (Des?) on the other.
Years later I remember walking up Molineux Street after a game, and seeing some chap ****ing against the wall of one of the terraced houses. Not surprisingly the householder took exception and came charging out to “have a few words”. probably an occupational hazard on match days if you lived in one of those terraces houses.
I think they were all bought by the club weren’t they prior to the building of the John Ireland Stand (now the Steve Bull)?

S

ShropshireLad

My first game was in the early 1960’s vs Chelsea when I was about 9. Went with my dad and sat in the old Molineux Street stand. My memory tells me we won, but when I looked it up some years ago I think it was 2 - 2.
Seem to remember we had Terry Wharton (aka “the flying pig”) on one wing and a South African lad (Des?) on the other.
Years later I remember walking up Molineux Street after a game, and seeing some chap ****ing against the wall of one of the terraced houses. Not surprisingly the householder took exception and came charging out to “have a few words”. probably an occupational hazard on match days if you lived in one of those terraces houses.
I think they were all bought by the club weren’t they prior to the building of the John Ireland Stand (now the Steve Bull)?
Des Horne.

Terry Wharton was never greatly overweight at all. He’s not even overweight now. If you want a flying pig then Tommy Lawrence fits the bill.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Somebody put these on Twitter earlier, Charity Match circa 1984 they believe. Shows how vast the South Bank is! Would love to see something that big again with the new development

3x1xst.jpg

3x1x8k.jpg

3x1y27.jpg

Great pics

Look at all those hooped socks!

That away strip was the best every away strip wolves have ever had

oh and its my fav home strip too

jeb01

Reaction score
Des Horne.

Terry Wharton was never greatly overweight at all. He’s not even overweight now. If you want a flying pig then Tommy Lawrence fits the bill.
Yes, Des Horne it was.
I agree that Terry W looked fit, but I think he was powerfully built, hence the rather unkind nickname.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
seeing the old photos of the stand on steve bull bought back some early memories, just before john ireland stand built would be great if when redevelopment is done they could recreate the roof shape on that stand, (if only in look, i.e facade on the front to look like the old one)

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
Amazing as you can see the old triangular roof stand in front of the new build? I wonder why they did not demolish the old stand and then build the new stand on top?!

The John Ireland was the first phase of the entire stadium redevelopment. The intention was for the whole footprint to move that way to accommodate the other 3 stands (with corners).
Of course, we immediately ran out of money and that original vision was never completed.

Back
Top Bottom