Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
The John Ireland was the first phase of the entire stadium redevelopment. The intention was for the whole footprint to move that way to accommodate the other 3 stands (with corners).
Of course, we immediately ran out of money and that original vision was never completed.
That’s the reason why the Northbank being done hacked me off. Another mishmash of a stand being done and then development being abandoned, leaving the ground looking odd again- a bit like after the John Ireland. Although the pitch wasn’t 14 miles away from the stand, we even tumbled down two divisions, lost many players and had financial issues- John Ireland lite it felt like.

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
That’s the reason why the Northbank being done hacked me off. Another mishmash of a stand being done and then development being abandoned, leaving the ground looking odd again- a bit like after the John Ireland. Although the pitch wasn’t 14 miles away from the stand, we even tumbled down two divisions, lost many players and had financial issues- John Ireland lite it felt like.

Agreed. Like history repeating itself: the initial phase of another grand vision that fell at the first hurdle.
I applaud Sir Jack for seeing an entire development all the way through - although god only knows why he didn’t plan the rebuild of the stadium tighter to the pitch (I appreciate the then rules dictated an access space around the pitch, but it still could have been rebuilt much, much closer).

One day we will have a magnificent new ground, I’m sure of it. Just hope it’s in my lifetime!

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 5340

An extra from some dreary Ken loach film in the home dugout back in 1979...Same extra and his mate with Paul Bradshaw at the entrance of the Molineux Club car park.... It was taken about 3ish in the afternoon and the players were just coming out from an afternoon "sesh" at the Club's bar... Those indeed were the days my friend.

379784_10150502882004343_415841250_n.jpg33200307_10156468070414343_2021400974605680640_n.jpg

Hazza

Reaction score
My first match at Molineux was home to Southampton, Feb 1984, Steve Moran scored and we lost 1-0. Only time I ever stood in North Bank. Crowd was less than 10,000 but I was hooked.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I've just noticed, is how the old Molineux Street stand runs downhill when viewed from outside (as per the 1979 picture above), yet inside the ground the Molineux Street stand appears level.

Unless I've lost the plot.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An extra from some dreary Ken loach film in the home dugout back in 1979...Same extra and his mate with Paul Bradshaw at the entrance of the Molineux Club car park.... It was taken about 3ish in the afternoon and the players were just coming out from an afternoon "sesh" at the Club's bar... Those indeed were the days my friend.

View attachment 14810View attachment 14811
Do you know which film it was? I am a big fan of Ken Loach and as Wolves fan I’m doubly intrigued.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the 1930s when the one end was an open bank (never knew that)

View attachment 14823

Molineux almost complete after the Buckley rebuilding years. Only the South Bank left to do. I know a well aged gent (97 now) who remembers standing on the grass bank that was the South Bank aged 11ish. At half time many turned around with feet 'uphill' and faced Molineux House as their ankles were aching from pointing downhill for too long.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can any one remember the letters that used to hang on the pitch side on the Old Waterloo Road stand, that were used for the half time scores? At the back of the match day programme, letters of the alphabet were linked to the days matches. E.g the letter W may have been Blackpool v Preston North End. Towards the end of half time the numbers representing the scores were hung under the appropriate letter. No electronic boards in those days. Some times it would be half way through the second half when the some scores appeared.

W ------- X ----- Y
1 0 -- 2 1 -- 3 1

Air Wolf 90

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's strange how the South Bank can look so formidable and dominating in older photographs, but in photos like the above, looks so sad, aged and derelict.

That photo must be of its final season. The home and away areas are swapped over and the pitch has been moved over. It was well past its best by then.
I think the last time I stood in there was when Steve Walsh got sent off for Leicester with the new North Bank open.
I was away at Uni much of that season but they seemed to get the new south bank finished really quickly after that.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless the south bank have come in fancy dress I’d guess that’s not for a football match. It’s either some post war VE Day thing, the day the Queen visited or an early Bon Jovi concert.
I was thinking that too. That's never for a football match, and sadly, most of those on that photo are sadly no longer with us.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This wasn't a football match. I seem to remember my late mother talking about some event but buggered if i can remember what. She was 22 in 1949 and went to the FA Cup final but I don't think this is related to the image here.

Many are sitting down on the terracing here by the looks of it.
You may have answered it then? Was it some kind of FA Cup Winners parade etc? It would be kind of laid back.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You may have answered it then? Was it some kind of FA Cup Winners parade etc? It would be kind of laid back.

It could have been although the FA Cup was paraded around Molineux before a game against Preston (I think it was but might be corrected). It could have been some kind of end of season presentation. I wish I could ask her but that would mean I could contact the dead (which might be possible but I have no proof of it)

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
Winston Churchill attended Molineux to give an election speech in July 1949, so I guess that is the event shown in the photograph ( over 25000 people attended).

Attachments

• F4160A96-D4EF-4231-948E-0CBA3CC8A45D.jpeg
    F4160A96-D4EF-4231-948E-0CBA3CC8A45D.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 63

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I may have found it...

Of course that's it. My family never voted conservative but mother ad father went to the event. They always aimed to get some first hand knowledge of political rhetoric regardless of the colour of it.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** me ....some of you have even managed to turn this thread political...lol

S

ShropshireLad

The demolished part is where I first sat way back in 1967 v Bury to see us win promotion to the old First Division. I’ve got the programme with the autographs of Phil Parkes, Mike Bailey and Terry Wharton.

Back
Top Bottom