Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno's post-match interview

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Something which consistently impresses me about Nuno is how he will point out errors which have gone against us without ever nailing them as the reason for a poor result. We can say that VAR cost us a second penalty, but actually a poor penalty cost us a goal. We can say that Mike Dean made a mistake v. Burnley, but actually we failed to keep the ball when we were trying to hold onto a 1-0 win. There's not a lot of point in focussing on what you can't change, and when managers do that players will know they can get away with things (though of course some will focus on those things away from the media spotlight).

Totally agree with this. Love that he focuses on the things that are within the players' ability to influence. I think from a player-mentality pov it's a lot healthier.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly, waking up feels a bit like a weight off the shoulders and a bit of excitement, sure all the lads and lasses and looking forward to seeing their family, putting the feet up and actually relaxing for the first time in a year or two (in Raul's case) and generally just enjoying life. You can only go so far running on fumes, weirdly, going out is a bit of a blessing in disguise I feel.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Bill you are spot on ! I admire the restraint Nuno showed when asked by one 3 year old scribe " Raul has scored lots of goals for you this season so I imagine no one is blaming him " That has to be the most moronic, cretinous, retarded and anything else you can think of question I have ever heard and with the pathetic standard of what passes as journalism in this country these days that is really saying something !
We said the same

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was a farce, we tried to get a CB on the cheap who was clearly not well suited to the way we play and then spent £22million on a striker who we then loaned out only a few months later. It was a right mess.
I appreciate Moutinho, particularly his performances in our first season in the Prem but he hasn't been great for me this year. In particular, he has looked leggy. Perhaps understandable with the amount of games played but Neves has been our best midfielder for me, while the reverse was true a year ago. He's soon to be 34 too, so it's important we have a succession plan regardless.
I wholeheartedly agree with having a succession plan but Moutinho is still a Rolls Royce of a player.

We tried getting a CB on the cheap because I believe the club were trying to at least show a willingness to conform with FFP.

Cutrone came with a good reputation and a reasonable price tag. Any transfer is a gamble, this one didn't work out.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was a farce, we tried to get a CB on the cheap who was clearly not well suited to the way we play and then spent £22million on a striker who we then loaned out only a few months later. It was a right mess.
I appreciate Moutinho, particularly his performances in our first season in the Prem but he hasn't been great for me this year. In particular, he has looked leggy. Perhaps understandable with the amount of games played but Neves has been our best midfielder for me, while the reverse was true a year ago. He's soon to be 34 too, so it's important we have a succession plan regardless.
Re Cutrone. You cant hold anyone to blame for him not settling

WolfWarrior

Groupie
Reaction score
I took it that Nuno said ‘we can’t repeat the mistakes like before’ or something similar, meaning specifically transfers.
I took it he was referring directly to last summer and Cutrone / Vallejo.
I wonder if that’s why Thelwell really went?
in any event I believe he was saying pony up the dosh my Chinese muckers or I’m doing one.
This is a documented fact. Transfer policy was dictated by a stick or twist situation in that the transfer window close coincided with not knowing if we would qualify for the group stages. The mistake was to apply caution what is not clear if that was a decision made by Jeff, Kevin and if Nuno was involved. Basically we gambled and it went wrong. Secondly we wanted to sign Vicinius but couldn’t get the work permit. He was Nuno’s first choice and in the absence we referred to Thelwell’s list and Cutrone was bought, this despite reservations. From my understanding Vallejo came recommended by Jorge’s people but he was way down the list of first preferences.

Without a DoF Nuno has more direct influence and de facto Jorge and in particular Cardoso fulfil that role. Thelwell ultimately had little influence. For what it’s worth I believe we will strengthen with a combination of Portuguese and young British talent. Don’t forget Jorge has more British players on his books which formed part of the Fosun Gestifude relationship.

Again another documented fact. Goalkeeper for the long term who we have already brought, Young left sided centre half, No 8 midfielder and cover for Jiménez and now full back as well. I quite enjoy the speculation but Wolves have a way of signing players on few people’s radar.

WolfWarrior

Groupie
Reaction score
I think that's fair but I don't necessarily think it means changing the system. Look at Sevilla, essentially doing the same thing but more effective at it. I do think you're right on Moutinho ...... but where do we get such craft and guile WITH athleticism and power? We're not buying De Bruyne.

I think we need to look at Sevilla and think, if Lopetegui can pull that team together in 12 months from more or less nothing and finish fourth, then our aim is to buy 2-3 quality additions and be better than Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal. Up there with Man U, maybe even Chelsea (although I'd probably swap Spurs and Man U in that order, because Ole is **** and Mourinho is a stubborn, dirty ******* who happens to have Kane, for now).

Ridiculous that I am even saying that, but that is what you have led us to believe Fosun. We remain forever in your debt, but now it's over to you.
Seville has in Monchi the supreme recruiter. Given we don’t have an equivalent we need Jorge to come up trumps.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing I noticed was Nuno mentioning the small size of the squad, maybe an acceptance now from him that we will need a bigger squad in order to move forward ?

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But he did not say, “mistakes in the transfer window”, he said, “we have made mistakes”,that is very different.
I took that to be a much more general comment that encompassed all aspects of the season from players on the pitch making mistakes to his tactics and selections to Recruitment.

Zero doubt the mistakes he refers to regard the transfer window after watching the interview.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly, waking up feels a bit like a weight off the shoulders and a bit of excitement, sure all the lads and lasses and looking forward to seeing their family, putting the feet up and actually relaxing for the first time in a year or two (in Raul's case) and generally just enjoying life. You can only go so far running on fumes, weirdly, going out is a bit of a blessing in disguise I feel.

very good post. won't be recognised as such given the state of modern football, and the world to be honest! but spot on.

looking at what spurs have to navigate just to get into the Europa League proper, I really believe we have dodged a bullet and in the long run, we will be better for it.

everything happens for a reason.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone daft enough to think we will be able to progress while not investing properly shouldn´t be listened to.
That´s it in a nutshell.

Back
Top Bottom