Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno's post-match interview

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I thought Nuno's interview was great after the match. The key for everyone is to learn and grow from the successes and disappointments of this season to come back stronger so we can compete consistently at this kind of level in the future. That's where the owners, Nuno and the players all want to get to.

It's easy to bemoan the fact we're not in Europe next year and lick our wounds over VAR/refereeing decisions/general luck this season but it's counter-productive and instead we should take pride in how far we've come in such a short space of time and what a ride it's been so far.

It's worth remembering that Klopp finished 8th in the league in his first season at Liverpool in 2015/16 and saw Liverpool blow a half-time lead against Sevilla in the EL final to miss out on silverware and on Europe next season. He and the Liverpool players could have wallowed (and, no doubt did, for quite a few days) but ultimately used the experience to drive them on and, 4 years later, the rest is history.

Not saying we're going to achieve those levels of successes by 2023/24 (well you can dream I guess!) but I do think the best days are still ahead and, if we can keep hold of Nuno and his team and have a good transfer window, the club can continue its positive trajectory next season and beyond.

D

Deleted member 9788

I thought Nuno's interview was great after the match. The key for everyone is to learn and grow from the successes and disappointments of this season to come back stronger so we can compete consistently at this kind of level in the future. That's where the owners, Nuno and the players all want to get to.

It's easy to bemoan the fact we're not in Europe next year and lick our wounds over VAR/refereeing decisions/general luck this season but it's counter-productive and instead we should take pride in how far we've come in such a short space of time and what a ride it's been so far.

It's worth remembering that Klopp finished 8th in the league in his first season at Liverpool in 2015/16 and saw Liverpool blow a half-time lead against Sevilla in the EL final to miss out on silverware and on Europe next season. He and the Liverpool players could have wallowed (and, no doubt did, for quite a few days) but ultimately used the experience to drive them on and, 4 years later, the rest is history.

Not saying we're going to achieve those levels of successes by 2023/24 (well you can dream I guess!) but I do think the best days are still ahead and, if we can keep hold of Nuno and his team and have a good transfer window, the club can continue its positive trajectory next season and beyond.

Stop talking sense please. I'd rather have a let's "sell jota neves and Raul thread" or "nuno Is ****" thread.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully signing quality additions will improve his tactics....

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It was definitely an interview with a man who isn't planning on going anywhere else anytime soon.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

couldn't agree more. Once the dust has settled all of us will be happy with where we are at the moment. Today it was levels and that's what Nuno's talking about. With this set up we'll get there because we now have a footballing personality. I'm amazed most of our players on the pitch today played in the championship, Adama included.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what was it, 58/59 matches? what a trip this season has been. That said, I bet you the team are ****ed at having to go home now. That's what our club is about and Nuno and the crew know it and respect it, that much is clear to me.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, with an edge that suggested to me that he's waiting to hear from upstairs, ie give me the players I need and I'll stay.

Nuno frankly would be mad to stay if Fosun aren't going to follow-up on their 10-year plan pronouncements and allow investment in players that enables us to continue to move forward. Without more substantial strengthening this summer than was achieved last summer, we will only start to go backwards, and I really don't see what possible attraction that eventuality would hold for Nuno. How Fosun reacts to Nuno basically telling them 'back me or I go' is another matter.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Combative words when he talks about mistakes in the transfer window - something he notably hasn't done at all since he's been here.

He's earned the right though. I feel this was a not so subtle message: as the poster above says, it's something of a back me or lose me moment
But he did not say, “mistakes in the transfer window”, he said, “we have made mistakes”,that is very different.
I took that to be a much more general comment that encompassed all aspects of the season from players on the pitch making mistakes to his tactics and selections to Recruitment.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, with an edge that suggested to me that he's waiting to hear from upstairs, ie give me the players I need and I'll stay.
Yes he’s got a great opportunity now to say back me or I’m off. Nobody expects us to spend silly money but we do need at least top quality first 11 additions.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I thought his interview on BT was absolutely superb. Even though he was down and gutted he showed great class. Wasn’t tricked into criticising the VAR when he had every right to be annoyed. I thought it was telling the way he said “we need new players to help the group”. Nuno hardly ever comments on signings or transfers he usually prefers to focus on the players he’s already got.
I liked how he kept saying “we are proud”, which I think we all are. It’s very rare you get a manager who feels what the fans feel.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need 2 or 3 quality first team additions, if only to freshen things up a bit and give us new options. This same group of players simply will not be able to start all this again in a few weeks time and be expected to finish top half, let alone higher than 7th.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great interview, classy guy is our Nuno, also repeating what he said last summer about wanting new players in but maybe the FFP situation which has come to light stopped us doing that last summer? not sure if it will help matters this summer either?

We can't go a third season with the same group of players and expect to keep the same standards though, they need help

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I took it that Nuno said ‘we can’t repeat the mistakes like before’ or something similar, meaning specifically transfers.
I took it he was referring directly to last summer and Cutrone / Vallejo.
I wonder if that’s why Thelwell really went?
in any event I believe he was saying pony up the dosh my Chinese muckers or I’m doing one.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's a bit more fundamental.than two or three quality players -tho that is essential every season.

He needs to shift tactics to kill off the lesser teams -by more emphasis on attack and that means replacing Moutinho who doesn't hurt teams and employing a flat back four and an extra midfielder.

The three at the back should be reserved for the big teams .

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't Nuno also say we needed new additions at the end of last season? I understand his preference for a small squad, but there's small and microscopic. Last night, the bench was weak. We had to bring in a virtual unknown (Richards) to make up the numbers and that with only one injury and a suspension.
I'm sure that Nuno knows what he wants and is comfortable working with, but clearly he has little or no confidence in Buur, MGW, Campana and Kilman at the moment as since the restart (and before) these guys have regularly been on the bench, yet unused. The same subs (Neto, Jota, Dendoncker and Traore) are the ones that come on regardless, depending on where we are in the match.
Hopefully next season, we will have a much stronger squad. If the likes of Buur, MGW and Campana etc... are not first-team ready, they should be sent out on loan. We need a bench/squad that can cover for injuries, suspensions and be able to make a difference when required, not just a strong first 11. However many Nuno thinks is necessary; I just hope that Fosun agrees.

Last edited:

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's a bit more fundamental.than two or three quality players -tho that is essential every season.

He needs to shift tactics to kill off the lesser teams -by more emphasis on attack and that means replacing Moutinho who doesn't hurt teams and employing a flat back four and an extra midfielder.

I mean we have done better against lesser teams this year, so that's an improvement. Maybe if boly had been fit or we had a better stand in, we'd have done enough to get top 6 but it is what it is.

Do think that the recruitment team have to be on their a game. Time for Jorge to do the business again.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think that's fair but I don't necessarily think it means changing the system. Look at Sevilla, essentially doing the same thing but more effective at it. I do think you're right on Moutinho ...... but where do we get such craft and guile WITH athleticism and power? We're not buying De Bruyne.

I think we need to look at Sevilla and think, if Lopetegui can pull that team together in 12 months from more or less nothing and finish fourth, then our aim is to buy 2-3 quality additions and be better than Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal. Up there with Man U, maybe even Chelsea (although I'd probably swap Spurs and Man U in that order, because Ole is **** and Mourinho is a stubborn, dirty ******* who happens to have Kane, for now).

Ridiculous that I am even saying that, but that is what you have led us to believe Fosun. We remain forever in your debt, but now it's over to you.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I still dont see why we cant bring coady forward as that defensive midfielder and push neves into a proper midfield role, especially against the weaker teams

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't Nuno also say we needed new additions at the end of last season? I understand his preference for a small squad, but there's small and microscopic. Last night, the bench was weak. We had to bring in a virtual unknown (Richards) to make up the numbers and that with only one injury and a suspension.
I'm sure that Nuno know what he wants and is comfortable working with, but clearly he has little or no confidence in Buur, MGW, Campana and Kilman at the moment as since the restart (and before) these guys have regularly been on the bench, yet unused. The same subs (Neto, Jota, Dendoncker and Traore) are the ones that come on regardless, depending on where we are in the match.
Hopefully next season, we will have a much stronger squad. If the likes of Buur, MGW and Campana etc... are not first-team ready, they should be sent out on loan. We need a bench/squad that can cover for injuries, suspensions and be able to make a difference when required, not just a strong first 11. However many Nuno thinks is necessary; I just hope that Fosun agrees.
Our bench has been temporarily bloated though. Maybe if Nuno had known he'd play three months with a huge bench he'd have bought more players.

Or maybe seeing as we've fallen foul of FFP he was hamstrung and couldn't buy any more players.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean we have done better against lesser teams this year, so that's an improvement. Maybe if boly had been fit or we had a better stand in, we'd have done enough to get top 6 but it is what it is.

Do think that the recruitment team have to be on their a game. Time for Jorge to do the business again.
I think if Boly wasn't injured we'd have at least got the one extra point to secure sixth.

That said, if Covid never happened, Kane and Son wouldn't have been fit for the last nine games and our points total would have been enough anyway.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our bench has been temporarily bloated though. Maybe if Nuno had known he'd play three months with a huge bench he'd have bought more players.

Or maybe seeing as we've fallen foul of FFP he was hamstrung and couldn't buy any more players.
Agree somewhat about the 'bloated bench'. That's why I didn't include Sondegaard, Jordao or Marques in my summation. Even before lockdown when a 'normal' bench would include 7 players, Buur, Kilman and MGW barely got a look-in.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, have the journos questions been sent in by primary school children? Are the journos primary school children? Did they win a competition.

"A question for Nuno, what's your favourite dinner?" Would have been equally insightful.

Bill you are spot on ! I admire the restraint Nuno showed when asked by one 3 year old scribe " Raul has scored lots of goals for you this season so I imagine no one is blaming him " That has to be the most moronic, cretinous, retarded and anything else you can think of question I have ever heard and with the pathetic standard of what passes as journalism in this country these days that is really saying something !

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

What a great guy. Let's be honest, we'd all love to work for such a boss. Challenging, demanding but at the same time clearly a good man who wants you to improve and be one of the best. Full of class as well. Top leader and our most important asset.

Let's hope he sings a new contract and is backed properly in the transfer market.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
Nuno is brilliant at handling the media but he is also very, very shrewd.

To use the global tv platform following the game last night to talk about new players was very smart as is waiting for assurances from Jeff before signing any new contract.

The implied threat of Nuno and team walking if Fosun don’t back him in the market doesn’t need to be said outloud, it’s now very real

His comments about ‘mistakes‘ weren’t for us, I suspect they were for Jeff and Guo.

Maximum leverage as they say.

Just guessing but if Guo put the breaks on spending and that’s why Thewell left, that could be what Nuno was talking about.

I guess we’re going to find out soon enough given we’ve only got a month to sort it all out.

Last edited:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's right in terms of new signings being needed. Last Summer was a farcical window, Neto aside. We didn't upgrade on our starting XI whatsoever. It's important that we do so this time around if we want to keep progressing. Moutinho and Jota to name two should be squad players, not every week starters, based on their patchy performances this season. Need to ensure we have a big enough squad to mount effective challenges for both domestic cups next season too. No excuse without European football.

SheldonWolf

Reaction score
Defensively we’re solid and defended like trojans last night.

bottom line is we need to score more goals, we rarely score more than 2......up front has to be the focus. And the focus on quality not quantity.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest thing I took from it was the seeming admission that we need a slightly bigger squad. He's utilised a small one this year and I don't think it can be denied that it's worked for a large part. But we are 4/5 quality players short of sustained tilts at top 6/winning cups/getting to Europe.

The fact he said "We need players" tells me he's learned his lesson.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's right in terms of new signings being needed. Last Summer was a farcical window, Neto aside. We didn't upgrade on our starting XI whatsoever. It's important that we do so this time around if we want to keep progressing. Moutinho and Jota to name two should be squad players, not every week starters, based on their patchy performances this season. Need to ensure we have a big enough squad to mount effective challenges for both domestic cups next season too. No excuse without European football.
There's not a button to like some of your post and dislike others.....

Things I don't agree with;
1. Farcical window
2. Moutinho just a squad player

Things I do;
1. A (marginally) bigger squad
2. Challenge for domestic trophies - even the rubbish one.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's not a button to like some of your post and dislike others.....

Things I don't agree with;
1. Farcical window
2. Moutinho just a squad player

Things I do;
1. A (marginally) bigger squad
2. Challenge for domestic trophies - even the rubbish one.

I thought it was a farce, we tried to get a CB on the cheap who was clearly not well suited to the way we play and then spent £22million on a striker who we then loaned out only a few months later. It was a right mess.
I appreciate Moutinho, particularly his performances in our first season in the Prem but he hasn't been great for me this year. In particular, he has looked leggy. Perhaps understandable with the amount of games played but Neves has been our best midfielder for me, while the reverse was true a year ago. He's soon to be 34 too, so it's important we have a succession plan regardless.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Something which consistently impresses me about Nuno is how he will point out errors which have gone against us without ever nailing them as the reason for a poor result. We can say that VAR cost us a second penalty, but actually a poor penalty cost us a goal. We can say that Mike Dean made a mistake v. Burnley, but actually we failed to keep the ball when we were trying to hold onto a 1-0 win. There's not a lot of point in focussing on what you can't change, and when managers do that players will know they can get away with things (though of course some will focus on those things away from the media spotlight).

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Something which consistently impresses me about Nuno is how he will point out errors which have gone against us without ever nailing them as the reason for a poor result. We can say that VAR cost us a second penalty, but actually a poor penalty cost us a goal. We can say that Mike Dean made a mistake v. Burnley, but actually we failed to keep the ball when we were trying to hold onto a 1-0 win. There's not a lot of point in focussing on what you can't change, and when managers do that players will know they can get away with things (though of course some will focus on those things away from the media spotlight).

Agree with that, I'm glad he doesn't make excuses. We should focus on what we can personally control.

Back
Top Bottom