Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I sense the pain . I have been through it and it’s like Groundhog Day watching our matches. It is organised by Nuno to within an inch of his plans IMO.
Never scoring first or in the first half, playing only after 60 minutes all meticulously managed. Keeping the ball in wide ineffective areas. This is Nuno plan it’s too settled to be an accident . For that I blame Nuno and I am irked by his constant telling us he doesn’t know why , which is disingenuous IMO
But could he do better with the fit squad he was given. And I don’t believe he had anywhere near his first choices of players bought and then fit. So I would give him one more season with substantial investment or/and reinvestment.
For me, sums it up clearly and concisely.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I sense the pain . I have been through it and it’s like Groundhog Day watching our matches. It is organised by Nuno to within an inch of his plans IMO.
Never scoring first or in the first half, playing only after 60 minutes all meticulously managed. Keeping the ball in wide ineffective areas. This is Nuno plan it’s too settled to be an accident . For that I blame Nuno and I am irked by his constant telling us he doesn’t know why , which is disingenuous IMO
But could he do better with the fit squad he was given. And I don’t believe he had anywhere near his first choices of players bought and then fit. So I would give him one more season with substantial investment or/and reinvestment.
I am 100% a Nuno fanboy but I agree there is strategy at play, based on risk aversion and finishing the match strongly.
Unfortunately you need good goal scorers as fewer chances are created overall. This is really where it's gone pear shaped losing Jota, Doc, Raul, and then to top it off Neto. Thank god for Adama, a definite Nuno signing.
Speaking of signings there is no way he has been given the players he would have wanted. Fosun have gone too heavy buying in kids looking at values increasing. It's a long term game but there is real danger that in the end it will cost the club more than if they got 3 or 4 experienced starters in. Again it's strategy but I don't think it's down to Nuno exclusively. Changing jockeys wont help one bit on that score, we need a few more stallions.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am 100% a Nuno fanboy but I agree there is strategy at play, based on risk aversion and finishing the match strongly.
Unfortunately you need good goal scorers as fewer chances are created overall. This is really where it's gone pear shaped losing Jota, Doc, Raul, and then to top it off Neto. Thank god for Adama, a definite Nuno signing.
Speaking of signings there is no way he has been given the players he would have wanted. Fosun have gone too heavy buying in kids looking at values increasing. It's a long term game but there is real danger that in the end it will cost the club more than if they got 3 or 4 experienced starters in. Again it's strategy but I don't think it's down to Nuno exclusively. Changing jockeys wont help one bit on that score, we need a few more stallions.
We went for experience with Marcal and Jose, and ended up with a crock and a donkey.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Groundhog day term seems very apt in regards to not being adventurous in the first half and what i can only assume is to conserve energy to build in the second half. This was excusable in our euro season as we quite often had 2-3 games a week, and i could completely understand this tactic at the time. Now however, there are longer gaps between games without europe to contend with and being out the cups at a relatively early stage. If the team is knackered physically and mentally from the previous season and the short pre season, wolves have enough experts and technology behind them to have identified that the players were tired and our buying strategy should have been more focussed on the first 11 and not the youth. This is a leadership problem as the strategy should have been adjusted from youth to first 11 when the players came back for pre season and it was clear that these players were knackered.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Going round in circles again but the players did have a long Covid break and we only played about 40 games this season so I don't think the short season turn-around is an acceptable excuse. But the Nuno-in camp will grasp at any straws they can to try to explain away this pathetic season.
Spiers has said a number of times that people from within the club told him on the eve of the season starting that the physical fatigue (and even more so the mental fatigue) within the squad was on the borderline of the red zone and there were concerns about how we’d cope this season. I believe that’s why we’ve played so within ourselves.

This kind of proves we’ve not expended much energy but is it because they haven’t wanted to or haven’t been able to and our poor style has some what been because of this and somewhat to counter this: -

1621582009540.png

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure you’ll now say that if that’s the case we should have recruited better and I suppose if a season has been poor then there has to be a given reason and arguably you can always blame someone for that. But I imagine if we went in to the summer and said we need £100m to buy some players as these ones are tired Fosun would likely have said make it work.

Well on that basis Nuno has made it work. Per that graph if work rate is linked to performance and results we should be bottom. Of course this is where quality has its place so overall getting to 12th isn’t that bad from that point of view.

The season has been **** and things need to improve next year but I see the above as a reason for this season, you may see it as an excuse. That’s fair enough, you’re entitled to that opinion but the Nuno in camp are entitled to their opinions (or grasping at straws as you put it) too.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weren't we towards the bottom of that graph last season? I might be wrong, but it rings a bell.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weren't we towards the bottom of that graph last season? I might be wrong, but it rings a bell.
I believe so, again probably because it was a deliberate tactic to conserve energy with so many games to play.

Last season we laughed at other clubs fans saying Europe is a poisoned chalice for a club our size because we did well in it and the league still. Maybe this season is partly the result of that and they were right in the end...

I’m firmly in the Nuno in camp but I will say that this will need to change next season, I don’t think that playing within yourselves to conserve energy and only going all out for one half of a game is a great long term plan. But I feel Nuno already knows this and I believe he will want to change this hence his talk of playing on the front foot. His biggest mistake has probably been trying to implement that at the start of this season. It needs to be done at the start of next though.

If it doesn’t change then I believe a lot of the Nuno in camp will then say that maybe a change is needed. However the reason most of us are Nuno in is because we believe he can and will change it himself. On that basis I believe he deserves to be given the chance to do so rather than his legacy after 3 fantastic years being that he didn’t get to fully show what he could have done with us in the end because his final season was spent putting out fires and doing damage control with someone else getting to come in and benefit from that.

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe so, again probably because it was a deliberate tactic to conserve energy with so many games to play.

Last season we laughed at other clubs fans saying Europe is a poisoned chalice for a club our size because we did well in it and the league still. Maybe this season is partly the result of that and they were right in the end...

I’m firmly in the Nuno in camp but I will say that this will need to change next season, I don’t think that playing within yourselves to conserve energy and only going all out for one half of a game is a great long term plan. But I feel Nuno already knows this and I believe he will want to change this hence his talk of playing on the front foot. His biggest mistake has probably been trying to implement that at the start of this season. It needs to be done at the start of next though.

If it doesn’t change then I believe a lot of the Nuno in camp will then say that maybe a change is needed. However the reason most of us are Nuno in is because we believe he can and will change it himself. On that basis I believe he deserves to be given the chance to do so rather than his legacy after 3 fantastic years being that he didn’t get to fully show what he could have done with us in the end because his final season was spent putting out fires and doing damage control with someone else getting to come in and benefit from that.
Perfectly summed up. Great couple of posts.

RobB

Reaction score
I'm not really sure people are moaning based on league position. If we don't finish in Europe, as long as we ain't I'm bottom 3, I couldn't care less personally where we finish, you don't get anything for finishing 8th.

I'm more concerned for nearly 30 odd games we've struggled to string passes together, we can no longer defend as a unit effectively and our only tactic is to get traore to cross to an 18 year old kid on his own with no support.

As much as I think losing four nil at home to Burnley is a sackable offence, it is that we are so dull that we got given the live game on the BBC by the other broadcasters two games in a row that is more concerning.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spiers has said a number of times that people from within the club told him on the eve of the season starting that the physical fatigue (and even more so the mental fatigue) within the squad was on the borderline of the red zone and there were concerns about how we’d cope this season. I believe that’s why we’ve played so within ourselves.

This kind of proves we’ve not expended much energy but is it because they haven’t wanted to or haven’t been able to and our poor style has some what been because of this and somewhat to counter this: -

View attachment 21426

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure you’ll now say that if that’s the case we should have recruited better and I suppose if a season has been poor then there has to be a given reason and arguably you can always blame someone for that. But I imagine if we went in to the summer and said we need £100m to buy some players as these ones are tired Fosun would likely have said make it work.

Well on that basis Nuno has made it work. Per that graph if work rate is linked to performance and results we should be bottom. Of course this is where quality has its place so overall getting to 12th isn’t that bad from that point of view.

The season has been **** and things need to improve next year but I see the above as a reason for this season, you may see it as an excuse. That’s fair enough, you’re entitled to that opinion but the Nuno in camp are entitled to their opinions (or grasping at straws as you put it) too.
Great Post and i do agree with you... But does it also highlight our biggest problem in the squad.... Lack of mobility and physicality...... Have we got too many slow players and need more mobility.. At the minute we probably only have semedo n traore who have energy.... Boly kilman saiss coady donk mouts neves all to a degree lack a bit of mobility and when you combined that with lack of physicality with fabio, vitinha, rayan, gibbs etc... That's is why we are struggling.. Lack of mobility and physicality...I'm not moaning as I agree fatigue has played a massive part but mobility, strength, physicality is definitely where we need to improve on...

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 21426

great post mate

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great Post and i do agree with you... But does it also highlight our biggest problem in the squad.... Lack of mobility and physicality...... Have we got too many slow players and need more mobility.. At the minute we probably only have semedo n traore who have energy.... Boly kilman saiss coady donk mouts neves all to a degree lack a bit of mobility and when you combined that with lack of physicality with fabio, vitinha, rayan, gibbs etc... That's is why we are struggling.. Lack of mobility and physicality...
Probably, but all squads have weaknesses in some respect and we should always be looking to improve on them so that’s a more general thing I think.

It should be our focus in the summer and based on the fact CB and CM are said to be priorities then hopefully it will be.

Some pace at CB will greatly help us as a team, whether it’s a back 4 or back 5, it’ll let us play 10 to 20 yards higher and then we wouldn’t need as much mobility as we’d have less ground to cover centrally.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 21426

These stats and your analysis are great. They reassure me about Nuno mainly because I felt he looked like a man living in slow motion. I have not seen a sparkle in his interviews, and felt he had ‘moved on’ in his mind. Why I can only guess but I see it in his performances.
But if he has had to tell all his players to conserve energy that would be like managing with the handbrake on your passion. And explains that look.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Great post. It was very noticeable last season about how we went about managing games and conserving energy and it worked very well. It hasn’t this season which is unfortunate but there are reasons.

there is a very good piece by Spiers in the Athletic with Nuno about learning more from adversity than success and that success can hide deficiencies. This is a theme that Nuno talked about in his first season and hopefully bodes well for the future.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great post. It was very noticeable last season about how we went about managing games and conserving energy and it worked very well. It hasn’t this season which is unfortunate but there are reasons.

there is a very good piece by Spiers in the Athletic with Nuno about learning more from adversity than success and that success can hide deficiencies. This is a theme that Nuno talked about in his first season and hopefully bodes well for the future.
One thing for sure with Nuno is that he's an intelligent and thoughtful guy. You'd bank on him analysing the season properly after Sunday and identifying the issues in the team, the coaching and indeed himself. For me he's got a free hit until December.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We finished a 3 year cycle last season of unbelievable progress, but the squad was getting stale and the “stay solid and break” tactics were starting to get found out.

Nuno could see this and wanted to progress. However, he was given youngsters with potential (Vitanha, Siva, RAN) to work with instead of first team players while losing the brilliant on his day but inconsistent Jota and swapping Doc with Semedo.

Does anyone really think Nuno is responsible for the long term recruitment strategy ? How under the above circumstances was he expected to keep the team progressing?

Throw in Rauls long term injury, Moutinho reaching 35 and no pre season and I really think a lot of the criticism of the head coach is unfair.

The football has been poor for 18 months, and some of excuses are daft (so sick of hearing the players are tired) but give Nuno a solid pre season and 2/3 first team recruits and judge him then.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you look at that graph relating to the sprints and the teams near the top it’s hard not to argue that those teams that are deemed to have had successful seasons or have leapfrogged us in the table have done so not only through talent but also by putting the hard yards in.

The DNA of Wolves since Nuno arrived has been about being compact, splitting the pitch into boxes and the players taking responsibility to know when to press the space and when not too. I guess that is never really going to be conducive to our players sprinting around like mad men Leeds stylee.

That said Leeds have come up and done a Wolves. They’ve grabbed their chance and bucked the status quo. Their performances have been brilliantly inconsistent. At times their high tempo, high pressing style has worked wonders. At others they’ve looked terribly naive. I mean we even took 6 points off them without them scoring (admittedly VAR did the right thing for one at our place) and we’re here talking about whether Nuno should be booted out.

Nuno must be under the microscope after this season. I’m sure following the successes of the previous 3 years this campaign and the level of performances will not ha e gone unnoticed. He’ll be scrutinised and I think that’s why a usually reserved man when it comes to talking about the future and the goings on in the inner sanctum of Molineux is openly telling the press that we got things wrong and what we should be looking to do this summer.

The fact that he admits it was a mistake attempting to change the style of play without the foundations being there in terms of squad quality and quantity is pleasing in a way but actions speak louder than words. That applies to the club hierarchy from the top down.

Fosun have been more than open about their aspirations for the club, where they want to take it, when and how they want to do it but whilst in their view we were running ahead of schedule in previous years to take such a backwards step this year has to be eye opening. I’m pretty sure being ahead of the ball with their plans was a positive but now surely they must be having a rethink.

Have they given too much control to Nuno? Was there too much trust in him to lead the plan and evolve the team along the way? They must have looked at Leicester and thought how do they get their recruitment so right? Surely Jeff Shi can’t think that he can do it all?

Do we need somebody to work alongside the board and Nuno to aid recruitment and ensure that we bring in the right players to suit our needs?

Jorge Mendes is a hell of an asset to have in our pocket with his portfolio of players and his contacts within the game. Let’s face it we can’t really argue that the relationship hasn’t seen us recruit players that have helped us greatly in the first few years but last summer felt like the first time that we were being used slightly as a drop off point for some players that we didn’t really need in lieu of getting the ones we should be getting.

I’ve seen the dross we’ve churned out this season. It’s been a struggle at times to watch it. I’ve seen Nuno’s demeanour slowly but surely turn to frustration to apathy and back to frustration again. I appreciate his acceptance of responsibility though, it’s quite the refreshing change after Paul ‘I won the Champions League’ Lambert.

In essence I don’t think Nuno should be booted out. I think in football the natural response to poor performances is to make sweeping changes to the management team but not always necessarily the right one.

Of course there are famous examples of managers who walked the tight rope of unemployment before going on to lead clubs to great successes but they’re famous for a reason. It’s because they are few and far between. Ferguson did it at United but we’ll never know if Tim Sherwood could have replicated the same success at Spurs or Villa because he got booted out (well we do because he was **** but you get my drift). In my mind though Nuno is closer to Ferguson than he is to Sherwood.

I know it’s a phrase that has been bandied about a bit about having enough in the bank but I genuinely think he has...... for now. He deserves an opportunity to put some wrongs right but I’m pretty certain he’s aware that there’s expectations and that previous endeavours and successes can’t guarantee him leeway forever.

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 21426

I'll be honest I look at that graph, see Leeds and can't stop laughing!

I'm in total agreement, the reason the first halves have been such low intensity was last season to stretch the squad out over the games and this season to prevent injuries as much as possible. It doesn't excuse some of the sloppy play we've seen of course, but I've no doubt fitness has been the main factor

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose looking at the sprint stats for the 17/18 and 18/19 seasons would give a better overall view. It felt like we had the same way of playing in our first season back in the Premier League.

I'm not one for stats though, to be honest. The only thing I care about is winning games however a team goes about it. Score more goals than the opposition, that's the only stat for me.

Edit.

And I reckon we are likely to be in the bottom four teams for sprints next season, but that wouldn't bother me as long as we win.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm in total agreement, the reason the first halves have been such low intensity was last season to stretch the squad out over the games and this season to prevent injuries as much as possible. It doesn't excuse some of the sloppy play we've seen of course, but I've no doubt fitness has been the main factor
Leeds figures do intrigue me. Obviously the "they'll burn out" line hasn't come to fruition and they've ended the season impressively however I do wonder how sustainable those levels are longer term? Surely if they are sustainable every other club wouldn't be so far away from them on that graph. After all, "run more" is hardly a difficult tactic to implement if that's all it takes. Fair play to them if they keep it up again next season and kick on again but if they can manage that then surely every other club could look at their own teams levels of intensity and wonder why they are so far ahead.

I'd be very interested to see how they'd cope if they did qualify for Europe and had to play Thursday-Sunday for pretty much 3 months straight.

Yeah, I don't for one second dismiss that we've played really poorly for large parts of this season. I just feel there are reasons you can see that could explain this. Next season will be the acid test where (hopefully) the fatigue/small squad/no crowds/injuries problems (or excuses as others see them) won't be a factor. If at that point there is no improvement then I'll concede Nuno's time may be coming to an end. Until then I want to and will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leeds figures do intrigue me. Obviously the "they'll burn out" line hasn't come to fruition and they've ended the season impressively however I do wonder how sustainable those levels are longer term? Surely if they are sustainable every other club wouldn't be so far away from them on that graph. After all, "run more" is hardly a difficult tactic to implement if that's all it takes. Fair play to them if they keep it up again next season and kick on again but if they can manage that then surely every other club could look at their own teams levels of intensity and wonder why they are so far ahead.

I'd be very interested to see how they'd cope if they did qualify for Europe and had to play Thursday-Sunday for pretty much 3 months straight.

Yeah, I don't for one second dismiss that we've played really poorly for large parts of this season. I just feel there are reasons you can see that could explain this. Next season will be the acid test where (hopefully) the fatigue/small squad/no crowds/injuries problems (or excuses as others see them) won't be a factor. If at that point there is no improvement then I'll concede Nuno's time may be coming to an end. Until then I want to and will give him the benefit of the doubt.
Yeah next season will be the test because we will have had the pre-season, everyone will have had a genuine break, next season should be normal and if we're the same as we have been this season, then Nuno is treading on very thin ice. I think most of us happy clapper, head in the sand, Nuno acolytes would agree that!

Regarding Leeds, they haven't burnt out this season but looking at the graph you can see why Bielsa has a (deserved) reputation for burning out his squads because that is surely not sustainable, as you say, if it was, everyone would be much closer to them

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah next season will be the test because we will have had the pre-season, everyone will have had a genuine break, next season should be normal and if we're the same as we have been this season, then Nuno is treading on very thin ice. I think most of us happy clapper, head in the sand, Nuno acolytes would agree that!

Regarding Leeds, they haven't burnt out this season but looking at the graph you can see why Bielsa has a (deserved) reputation for burning out his squads because that is surely not sustainable, as you say, if it was, everyone would be much closer to them
I think what has benefited Leeds is its a shorter season in the PL by 8 games so its less Weekend-midweek-Weekend intensity with more rest in between games. Plus they have shocked many a team with it. Im clearly not a professional player and coach but whilst you can analyse and watch how leeds play, I doubt thats anywhere near the onslaught you get the first time you play them, it must come as a massive culture shock to the opposition. Next year will be a test for them. They undoubtedly have more quality than sheffield united (and will add to it in the summer), but its worth recognising Sheff Utd caught teams last year with an unusual style but this year teams who had played against it before, were more accomplished at dealing with it.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as I think losing four nil at home to Burnley is a sackable offence, it is that we are so dull that we got given the live game on the BBC by the other broadcasters two games in a row that is more concerning.
You can get DVDs from the NHS of these games. Cured my insomnia a treat….

It’s not that we finished in a worse position than the previous 2 seasons (which in view of our lamentable transfer activity is no surprise) but the dire tactics being used is indefensible (bit like our back 3 or 5) . If this continues (IF, note) then I would support a total change in manager and coaching staff. Let’s see what the next 6 months brings

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“You’ve let us down again”?

I would have really thought you’d have learned your lesson last time? I never realised you were so ugly!
Lykos, just come across this. How does this advance the discussion? If you disagree with me then debate, don't just throw down abuse. If you think that's funny then you are a sad ****.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
“You’ve let us down again”?

I would have really thought you’d have learned your lesson last time? I never realised you were so ugly!

Lykos, just come across this. How does this advance the discussion? If you disagree with me then debate, don't just throw down abuse. If you think that's funny then you are a sad ****.
At what point do you both think bod and I might lose patience altogether and say the forum will be better off without this kind of stuff? Because its coming.
@northnorfolkwolf ... you say not to just throw down abuse, but then end with abuse of your own. Do you not see how you completely undermine yourself?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would you like to correct that? I don't feel let down by the players or manager and you certainly don't speak for me
Not the first time that similar things have been said by the same poster, despite having his attention drawn to the overreach issue, either.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Not the first time that similar things have been said by the same poster, despite having his attention drawn to the overreach issue, either.
Its something thats been said by a handful of different posters - not exclusively NNW.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its something thats been said by a handful of different posters - not exclusively NNW.
That may be true, and l wasn't having a dig at NNW, but l happen to know that its so in his case because l pointed out the same thing to him previously.

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also don't feel let down. I appreciate the effort in difficult circumstances.

I guess it comes down to how entitled you are, I dunno.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder after spending a phenomenal amount last summer, how let down Everton fans will feel if they miss out on Europe and will want Ancelotti replaced? After all he's had two years of massive investment to basically be where they started from.

Im sorry but any one feeling "let down" by the club and its owners who are investing heavily in a club who were going absolutely nowhere 4 years ago need to have a look at themselves

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I thought Leeds were missing until you mentioned it! Had to go back and look 2 feet to the right of my monitor to find them :D Take Traore out and we'd be 2 feet to the left.

Great set of posts, all. I think in them, they contain the reasons we play like we have this (and last season). The point about the players being close to physical and mental burn out just before the *start* of this season is very telling.

At this point, I think the mental burnout is probably the worst factor. Having to play the way we do for all those reasons discussed, is only going to layer more problems on in the long run. And a couple of players have said they were really worried during our bad run. It all mounts up.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

At what point do you both think bod and I might lose patience altogether and say the forum will be better off without this kind of stuff? Because its coming.
@northnorfolkwolf ... you say not to just throw down abuse, but then end with abuse of your own. Do you not see how you completely undermine yourself?
Your patience is well and truly tested. A ban is certainly overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom