Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno out

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 11332

the backroom coaching team is pretty much Nunos team though, so one assumes he's happy with that team ?

which may be part of the problem ?

Probably but then if he's we intelligent as I think he is, he will have identified these issues an amateur like me can and will have it in hand. Hopefully.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have so tried to keep out of this though I have been following it! And I realise that you and I will never, ever agree on anything re: Wolves but it's not the slipping to 12th (possibly 15th by 6pm Sunday) it's the manner of the slip that's the issue. You could argue that for a Club of Wolves size and recent history 12th could be considered about right. However with the money we've spent and the squad full of internationals finishing 12th (after 2 x 7ths) is perhaps at least 4 -5 places below where we should have ended up. I know you'll cite injuries, Covid, no fans, Nuno missing home, he's a nice bloke etc etc but there is no justification in the world for the dire performances we've put in ALL season. Those in the anti-camp can perhaps, just about live with 12th but what I/us can't live with is the manner of our displays. The in- camp believe that Nuno can put all this right next season but my view is that he can't; at the end of the day come Oct/Nov we will see who is right?
Good post.

Only thing I'd say is that the wage table suggests 12th is above where we should be finishing.

I only Keep mentioning it because I'm so surprised at that statistic. I had assumed we were firmly in the top half of premier league wages.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hmmm. We are well clear of relegation with this team, from which we are missing our best winger, best striker and best defender.

With them back and another year of experience for the younguns (I class Vitinha and RAN as here already, as I'm 99 per cent sure they are obligations to buy), surely we'd be doing better? And - bad as we have been this season (and we have been truly truly bad), with reiterating that we are 17 points off relegation

Moutinho would be another year older. We would have the same centre backs who look like they couldnt defend set pieces against the Dog and Duck. There are no guarantees how Raul will be when he comes back, Jonny out until 2022, Neto may miss the start of the season.

Its my opinion if we added no one, which we wont, we would be stale and predictable and struggle next season. Just my opinion of course.

D

Deleted member 11332

Moutinho would be another year older. We would have the same centre backs who look like they couldnt defend set pieces against the Dog and Duck. There are no guarantees how Raul will be when he comes back, Jonny out until 2022, Neto may miss the start of the season.

Its my opinion if we added no one, which we wont, we would be stale and predictable and struggle next season. Just my opinion of course.

Set pieces isn't a personnel Issue that's coaching. We were really well drilled last 2 years and we ain't now.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post.

Only thing I'd say is that the wage table suggests 12th is above where we should be finishing.

I only Keep mentioning it because I'm so surprised at that statistic. I had assumed we were firmly in the top half of premier league wages.
If we end up 15th is that about right re: the wages!?

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have so tried to keep out of this though I have been following it! And I realise that you and I will never, ever agree on anything re: Wolves but it's not the slipping to 12th (possibly 15th by 6pm Sunday) it's the manner of the slip that's the issue. You could argue that for a Club of Wolves size and recent history 12th could be considered about right. However with the money we've spent and the squad full of internationals finishing 12th (after 2 x 7ths) is perhaps at least 4 -5 places below where we should have ended up. I know you'll cite injuries, Covid, no fans, Nuno missing home, he's a nice bloke etc etc but there is no justification in the world for the dire performances we've put in ALL season. Those in the anti-camp can perhaps, just about live with 12th but what I/us can't live with is the manner of our displays. The in- camp believe that Nuno can put all this right next season but my view is that he can't; at the end of the day come Oct/Nov we will see who is right?

Can we wait and see till then, then? Surely you want him to succeed? So why not get behind him. He at least deserves that, doesn't he.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Set pieces isn't a personnel Issue that's coaching. We were really well drilled last 2 years and we ain't now.

Thats a problem as well. I am really concerned at what is happening on the training ground every week. We have had a lot more time in between games this season than last yet I see no evidence of any pattern of play, set piece variation etc. Coaching is a big concern for me. We do though without a doubt need fresh new players for the first eleven.

D

Deleted member 11332

Good post.

That is so misleading though. We have less players on higher wages. Bet our first 11 is up there near the top 8.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we wait and see till then, then? Surely you want him to succeed? So why not get behind him. He at least deserves that, doesn't he.
Of course I want him to succeed! We all do, we're all Wolves fans! But I've wanted him/the team to succeed for 37 games this season and the notorious Cup game (which did it for me) but all he's/they've done is let me and all Wolves fans down. On that basis does he deserve another go? You obviously think he does, I have my doubts. As I said above, come Nov we will see whether your optimism or my cynicism was correct.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That is so misleading though. We have less players on higher wages. Bet our first 11 is up there near the top 8.
It may well be but it's our squad that have finished bottom half. It's not misleading

Weve gambled on small squad for 3 years. That means you can have better players but less of them. If it works and you stay injury free you should theoretically finish higher than your squad spend, if it doesn't and you end up with a poor B team on the pitch, expect yo finish lower.

Liverpool and Man City are good examples of this I belive at a higher level

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I keep thinking that not enough ‘opinions’ take account of the impact of the disruptions due to injuries...how many centre back combinations have been forced to try ? How many times have we changed full backs ?...and midfielders, quite apart from the saga up front. Nuno just hasn’t had enough stability to justify some of the more negative opinions. As I said earlier he’ll be well aware of how he’ll be judged and the task ahead. With Neto and Jonny not back until at least October (and who knows what to expect with Raul) the start of the season is likely to be tense and unpredictable...

D

Deleted member 11332

It may well be but it's our squad that have finished bottom half. It's not misleading

Weve gambled on small squad for 3 years. That means you can have better players but less of them. If it works and you stay injury free you should theoretically finish higher than your squad spend, if it doesn't and you end up with a poor B team on the pitch, expect yo finish lower.

Liverpool and Man City are good examples of this I belive at a higher level

Obviously but I'm saying using that as a reason to say we are overachieving by finishing 12th is daft.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that's not misleading IMO.

Our squad is 12th. If we had another 4 x 100k reserves, we'd probably be top half.

Certainly not saying we should have done that but it proves you (generally) finish close to your wage league table position.

D

Deleted member 11332

But that's not misleading IMO.

Our squad is 12th. If we had another 4 x 100k reserves, we'd probably be top half.

Certainly not saying we should have done that but it proves you (generally) finish close to your wage league table position.

But that doesn't really apply to us, we are the exception. Our players are much better in quality. At least half would walk into most sides in the league on ability alone, most of them would also be squad players for a top 6 side. It doesn't correlate with having the 5th lowest wage budget does it?

Finished 7th twice with probably a lower budget than we have now.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I keep thinking that not enough ‘opinions’ take account of the impact of the disruptions due to injuries...how many centre back combinations have been forced to try ? How many times have we changed full backs ?...and midfielders, quite apart from the saga up front. Nuno just hasn’t had enough stability to justify some of the more negative opinions. As I said earlier he’ll be well aware of how he’ll be judged and the task ahead. With Neto and Jonny not back until at least October (and who knows what to expect with Raul) the start of the season is likely to be tense and unpredictable...
Unfortunately these discussions just go round and round in circles and I regret I'm now continuing it! You have to plan for injuries. Nuno put ALL his faith in his good luck re: injuries holding, keeping a small squad and buying kids, none of whom were genuinely ready although they did their best. I'd argue that all of those gambles backfired big time and undoubtedly led to this bad season. But at the end of the day Nuno is payed well to plan ahead and have contingencies in place; this he patently did not do and that is why he is responsible for this lamentable season. I suppose with a summer to plan he will increase the squad size and not cover key positions with kids. With the right additions he may do well again but these comments do not address his negative style of play, which is a whole different debate?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I sense the pain . I have been through it and it’s like Groundhog Day watching our matches. It is organised by Nuno to within an inch of his plans IMO.
Never scoring first or in the first half, playing only after 60 minutes all meticulously managed. Keeping the ball in wide ineffective areas. This is Nuno plan it’s too settled to be an accident . For that I blame Nuno and I am irked by his constant telling us he doesn’t know why , which is disingenuous IMO
But could he do better with the fit squad he was given. And I don’t believe he had anywhere near his first choices of players bought and then fit. So I would give him one more season with substantial investment or/and reinvestment.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that doesn't really apply to us, we are the exception. Our players are much better in quality. At least half would walk into most sides in the league on ability alone, most of them would also be squad players for a top 6 side. It doesn't correlate with having the 5th lowest wage budget does it?

Finished 7th twice with probably a lower budget than we have now.
I must admit I was surprised to see us so low down the wages list because I thought the same.

We are either dodgy (plausible) or not as good as we think we are

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately these discussions just go round and round in circles and I regret I'm now continuing it! You have to plan for injuries. Nuno put ALL his faith in his good luck re: injuries holding, keeping a small squad and buying kids, none of whom were genuinely ready although they did their best. I'd argue that all of those gambles backfired big time and undoubtedly led to this bad season. But at the end of the day Nuno is payed well to plan ahead and have contingencies in place; this he patently did not do and that is why he is responsible for this lamentable season. I suppose with a summer to plan he will increase the squad size and not cover key positions with kids. With the right additions he may do well again but these comments do not address his negative style of play, which is a whole different debate?
Nuno Fosun Mendes . Nuno is a coach not a manager . So I think you should replace the name Nuno by Fosun in the above post on injuries .

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah but from a fan perspective that's neither here nor there for me. 2m is nothing for a pl football club.
I don't think Big Jeff would mind an additional £16 million. It would likely pay for Hoever on a 3 year contract.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My worry is the dire 1st half performances virtually game after game.Those should be rectified.

Last edited:

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes his small squad policy ran out of luck in his fourth season and he’s been left trying to make the best of it since Raul’s injury with additional injury disruptions randomly occurring and only the notorious January window to paper over the cracks. The thing is we’ve all known this and seen it play out for several months now and he, and we, have learned quite a bit about all our players in the mea time. Nothing in recent months has really added to the debate....it’s now down to Jeff and Nuno to take stock and build accordingly with questions over three of our big names until, say, the Autumn. If they don’t address our shortcomings we may well see change...

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be they get big signing fees and less wages.
I’d imagine even if that is the case, signing on fees would likely still be part of staff costs in the accounts which is where every clubs quoted wages figures are taken from.

And regardless of how they go about paying the players, the accounting treatment is obviously set out by company law not by any footballing body so there’s no hiding it really.

Unless of course some of it doesn’t go through Wolves at all as other clubs have been alleged to have been doing previously (Man City).

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I once saw "Roy Race" (Melchester Rovers) in a comic take a corner and then sprint into the box and get on the end of it, so it is possible.
Roy Race is different gravy tho. We could only dream of having a player of that calibre plus I doubt Melchester would sell for anything less than a pound more than Kane goes for.

D

Deleted member 11332

I’d imagine even if that is the case, signing on fees would likely still be part of staff costs in the accounts which is where every clubs quoted wages figures are taken from.

And regardless of how they go about paying the players, the accounting treatment is obviously set out by company law not by any footballing body so there’s no hiding it really.

Unless of course some of it doesn’t go through Wolves at all as other clubs have been alleged to have been doing previously (Man City).

But they'd go into the year accounts they are paid I'd assume?

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But they'd go into the year accounts they are paid I'd assume?
Well yeah I suppose as they’d be paid up front. Our wages have been pretty consistent with an upsurge after promotion (obviously) and then a few million increase last year. So either the up front payments in both years were of similar levels or we don’t really pay them (or rather they aren’t significant amounts).

Also, that would actually mean the wages were even lower than stated if that were the case, as the last 2 years when we’ve signed a dozen first team players we’d have all those signing on fees pushing the figure up not bringing it down.

One a side note, Im never quite sure why a club would pay large signing on fees and lower wages as opposed to just paying a slightly higher wage anyway. Surely it’s best to spread their cost evenly across their contract so if they’re a flop and you offload them you haven’t given them so much up front?

D

Deleted member 11332

Well yeah I suppose as they’d be paid up front. Our wages have been pretty consistent with an upsurge after promotion (obviously) and then a few million increase last year. So either the up front payments in both years were of similar levels or we don’t really pay them (or rather they aren’t significant amounts).

Also, that would actually mean the wages were even lower than stated if that were the case, as the last 2 years when we’ve signed a dozen first team players we’d have all those signing on fees pushing the figure up not bringing it down.

One a side note, Im never quite sure why a club would pay large signing on fees and lower wages as opposed to just paying a slightly higher wage anyway. Surely it’s best to spread their cost evenly across their contract so if they’re a flop and you offload them you haven’t given them so much up front?

I suppose it's creative accounting. They would have been paid upon the contract signing for new players and I'd assume as bonuses on promotion for the likes of neves etc.

Easier to get rid a player on 40k a week then 100k and the lump sum would be less than the total difference over contract would be my assumption.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I sense the pain . I have been through it and it’s like Groundhog Day watching our matches. It is organised by Nuno to within an inch of his plans IMO.
Never scoring first or in the first half, playing only after 60 minutes all meticulously managed. Keeping the ball in wide ineffective areas. This is Nuno plan it’s too settled to be an accident . For that I blame Nuno and I am irked by his constant telling us he doesn’t know why , which is disingenuous IMO
But could he do better with the fit squad he was given. And I don’t believe he had anywhere near his first choices of players bought and then fit. So I would give him one more season with substantial investment or/and reinvestment.
Thanks for such a reasoned and reasonable response rather than the 'you're a moron', which I've kind of grown accustomed to from some on here. Nuno has always been a 'stay in the game' manager that's why I'm sure he's content with 0-0 at HT and why we are always so **** first half. Can he change his mentality next season is for me the big question.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose it's creative accounting. They would have been paid upon the contract signing for new players and I'd assume as bonuses on promotion for the likes of neves etc.

Easier to get rid a player on 40k a week then 100k and the lump sum would be less than the total difference over contract would be my assumption.
I suppose the reality is it’s probably as simple as it just sounds good if you’re putting a big number in front of someone!

Offer them £50k a week for 5 years, or offer them £40k a week instead and given them £1m up front and they’ll see the £1m and think it’s great even though it’s less overall. Especially if you’re upheaving your family and dropping them in a new country. A nice wad of cash would help sweeten it!

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't really want the fella who presided over last summer's disastrous transfer dealings to preside over this summer's.
Rob I think I probably agree with you on this. I’d love him to prove me wrong but i’ve come to the conclusion that the injection of pace and athleticism we seem to lack so badly in midfield won’t happen because it’s not the way Nuno wants us to set up. Numerous transfer windows where funds are available have come and gone without this type of central midfield player arriving. I personally think Neves’s true quality would shine through with this type of player alongside him.

Coops

Reaction score
Literally had 3 days from the end of last season into this season.

really don’t think any of you are appreciating how much fatigue has an impact on your performance level. At this skill level a 5% fatigue difference gets shown up so much more.

That, added with other teams being significantly worse the last two season than they usually have been were probably around where we should be.

we’ll be fine next year. prob won’t get Europe again but mid table.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Literally had 3 days from the end of last season into this season.

really don’t think any of you are appreciating how much fatigue has an impact on your performance level. At this skill level a 5% fatigue difference gets shown up so much more.

That, added with other teams being significantly worse the last two season than they usually have been were probably around where we should be.

we’ll be fine next year. prob won’t get Europe again but mid table.
Going round in circles again but the players did have a long Covid break and we only played about 40 games this season so I don't think the short season turn-around is an acceptable excuse. But the Nuno-in camp will grasp at any straws they can to try to explain away this pathetic season.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course our first 11 earners includes Jimenez , Jonny, Boly and probably Marcal. So a vast proportion of those wages were not effective..

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Of course I want him to succeed! We all do, we're all Wolves fans! But I've wanted him/the team to succeed for 37 games this season and the notorious Cup game (which did it for me) but all he's/they've done is let me and all Wolves fans down. On that basis does he deserve another go? You obviously think he does, I have my doubts. As I said above, come Nov we will see whether your optimism or my cynicism was correct.
“You’ve let us down again”?

I would have really thought you’d have learned your lesson last time? I never realised you were so ugly!

Attachments

• 8182FC2F-8CDD-4228-BF1E-454E2D707A71.jpeg
    8182FC2F-8CDD-4228-BF1E-454E2D707A71.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 8

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes has been great for us and he is instrumental in us looking forward to our 4th succesive year in the Premier League.
I don't care what Nuno says, I don't think he has as much say in the transfers as some people think. He is part of the project, which is a well oiled machine. With Mendes, you take the rough with the smooth and he has facilitated some incredible signings that we would never have got without him. Occasionally you have to do him favours, that is how it works.
Hopefully, he will pull us a few rabbits out the hat in the summer transfer list.

Reactions: Ian

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I once saw "Roy Race" (Melchester Rovers) in a comic take a corner and then sprint into the box and get on the end of it, so it is possible.
I'm not sure now some time has passed and because I was probably quite drunk at the time, but sometimes I wake up screaming "why is kane taking corners"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom