Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno not happy with squad

D

Deleted member 5962

Wing backs need to get forward and provide an attacking threat and then get back and defend effectively. The problem with Semedo is that attacking wise he offers pretty much nothing and defensively he is poor. Compare him with Johnny who cost a third of the price. Defensively Jonny is solid, attacking wise Jonny is fairly average (better than Semedo though) but overall Jonny is a great player.
Unless Semedo can step up and quickly he is probably proving to be the overall worst signing of the Fosun era so far. Sure Fosun have signed some worse players than Semedo but on low fees so were mostly not big mistakes but Semedo has drained a lot of funding from the project.

Bringing this over from the Adama thread because I feel Semedo is being unfairly maligned.
Semedo is averaging 2.6 tackles and 2.4 clearances a game. Doc last season averaged 1.5 and 1.3 respectively. Jonny 2.6 and 0.8 respectively.

By these stats Semedo is actually our best defending fullback.

D

Deleted member 5962

Looking at those stats, the problem lies elsewhere, whats the reason he is doing nearly twice as many tackles and clearances per game?

I have pointed to an issue where he is coming narrower at times to fill the CB hole left by Boly. This has also been shown to be more than just my take by a poster who posted heatmaps from a previous game showing Boly was way too narrow.

As I have said before the problems with our defence lie with our CBs.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think some people are getting confused. We arent really in a transitional year, we are just trying to evolve as a squad. Yep, i think we have made some mistakes, and we have been unlucky with Raul, but i really dont get the doom and gloom. Its going to take time. Silva, RAN and Vitinha are going to be massive assets in 3 years imo. I know that doesnt sit well with some of you impatient buggers, but i believe its true. Its exactly the type of business as a club we need to involve ourselves in. I've been saying it for years now, we have to sign the De Bruyne's and the Mo Salah's before they become the finished article because we dont have the pulling power or finances to sign the finished article.
I think what doesn't sit well for me is if Wolves turn into a window shopping club that is a stepping stone to the likes of Spurs and Liverpool. Wait 3 years for Silva, RAN and Vitinha, but then are we going to sell the likes of Neves, Podence and Neto like we did for Jota? I fear an endless merry-go-round of laundering young exciting talent but being stuck in this weird place of never really giving it a go because Fosun don't exactly sanction the purchases of experienced (not necessarily world-class) Prem talent that could provide that final push to really compete at the top. If we keep replacing our top players with talent-for-the-future, we'll never actually settle.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think what doesn't sit well for me is if Wolves turn into a window shopping club that is a stepping stone to the likes of Spurs and Liverpool. Wait 3 years for Silva, RAN and Vitinha, but then are we going to sell the likes of Neves, Podence and Neto like we did for Jota? I fear an endless merry-go-round of laundering young exciting talent but being stuck in this weird place of never really giving it a go because Fosun don't exactly sanction the purchases of experienced (not necessarily world-class) Prem talent that could provide that final push to really compete at the top. If we keep replacing our top players with talent-for-the-future, we'll never actually settle.

Its always going to depend on the club who comes after them. We are really going to struggle to keep players out of the clutches of the really big clubs.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at those stats, the problem lies elsewhere, whats the reason he is doing nearly twice as many tackles and clearances per game?
Like ive said many times before he gets zero help from Traore or Boly in most instances,and our midfield is non existant,its no wonder he gets targetted with 2 sometimes 3 players to try and mark

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are not defending from the front as much this season as well.. Neto n podence are fine going forward but are terrible at just letting players walk past them when defending... Traore as well doesn't try..... Our defence in general is more exposed this season.. I didn't want to bring his name up again but for his faults going forward last season jota was never scared of doing his defencive work for the team...

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have been shooting up the ranks of the top world clubs over he last 5 years.
That will now stop unless we re-energise , and rebalance.

We play like the "The Y formation." Patricio - Coady then pushed wide, down the channel then nothing .

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its always going to depend on the club who comes after them. We are really going to struggle to keep players out of the clutches of the really big clubs.
liverpool sold coutinho and suarez and their fans felt the same. who knows but I think Fosun aren't stupid

R

reanswolf

I think we have to accept that in attracting players, they may move on if they do really well, its frustrating but its the law of the jungle.

The aim is to eventually gradually improve and become a bigger club, but its very difficult. We already are bigger than we were in the past 40 years, so we have to maintain a standard and continue trying to grow.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was fairly happy at the time I made those two points but thought Vitinha would be involved more and the likes of Hoever. Both have hardly been seen. If you actually look at a lot of what I was saying in the summer, rather than picking out two comments, I wasnt totally convinced on the whole.
Boly is also a lot better on the left than right hence my concern at lack of comfortable options in the squad on the right side of central defence.
The strange thing with the bit in bold is that whilst you appear to be right and most would agree with that, when Coady and Boly have lined up in a back 4 Coady has been on the left and Boly the right which has struck me as a bit weird.

The only reason I can think this has been the case is because Marcal has been LB in those games so maybe Nuno views it as a way for Marcal to tuck in and Semedo to play higher up the pitch so it’s almost a back 3 at times with Coady in the middle still.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not happy with balance of squad. Which begs the oft asked question, who was in charge of our transfers this summer? We’ve heard it’s Nuno but his comments seem to contradict this. Last paragraph of article....

Summer transfers with the benefit of hindsight and the verdict is we had a poor window.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't find a Miranda thread appropriate to post this. But this question has got to be asked now..
Why has Rodrick Miranda still got a first team squad number and still on our payroll??

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't find a Miranda thread appropriate to post this. But this question has got to be asked now..
Why has Rodrick Miranda still got a first team squad number and still on our payroll??
Because he is still under contract and that means we have to pay him. He is a waste of a squad place, but we can’t get rid of him to free up the funds, no one wants him. He will only get taken up when there isn’t a fee to do so.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno is not happy with the squad, this is an admission of his own errors in more recent transfer activity.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forgot he even existed.
Speaking of dead wood I see that Jordao and Campana can't even make Famalicao's bench tonight. Why is Olofinjana sending players out to clubs where they are not getting game time ? It is in nobody's interests to do so.

D

Deleted member 11332

Speaking of dead wood I see that Jordao and Campana can't even make Famalicao's bench tonight. Why is Olofinjana sending players out to clubs where they are not getting game time ? It is in nobody's interests to do so.

Seyi being no good at the job the club employs him to do. Again.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easy...... don’t question nuno like that on here...... you have a death wish if you do lol
Heresy I know but he seems to be saying some strange things recently. Under severe pressure for the first time as Wolves manager.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Maybe they are being recalled?

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heresy I know but he seems to be saying some strange things recently. Under severe pressure for the first time as Wolves manager.
I honestly think from listening to journalist describe interviewing nuno he has always talked in riddles and rhymes to get out of doing press stuff quickly at times. Sadly with the fact we aren’t playing well it now seems odd.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe they are being recalled?
To be fair to Jordao he has had a few good games out there and he is desperate to get a chance from his interviews. Which is exactly what you want to see, a bit of hunger and desire to wear the old gold.

the Italian press said when we signed him and Neto, he was closer to first team ready then neto would be.

then after a promising start to his first senior start he gets the horrific knee injury the same game as shabani. Killing any development in its tracks temporarily.

would be great to see him given a chance.

D

Deleted member 4008

Might be because they are not good enough .

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not seen anything in the press about a possible recall.

Just speculating. Because this is the pattern these days, when players aren't in a squad duringwindow time, it often means they are moving somewhere.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly think from listening to journalist describe interviewing nuno he has always talked in riddles and rhymes to get out of doing press stuff quickly at times. Sadly with the fact we aren’t playing well it now seems odd.

I don't think he talks in riddles. More that journalists are used to "manager speak" where they spew out the usual cliches about "shifts" and moans about the ref. Nuno is more careful with his words. Often he says the same thing about "improving" and "staying humble". Which are still beyond most manager speak - among British managers, anyway.

If you listen carefully, he does come out with the occasional real insight into his thinking, though. Occasionally little comments he's made come back to me weeks or months later and I realise that he was saying something important, only it's easy to miss at the time. "It starts with keeping a clean sheet"....

Also many statements that show he knows a lot of football is luck and you just have to play the percentages. He doesn't panic if something doesn't work out one time, if he believes that percentage wise, it works in the long run. Classic example being sitting back in a lead. Yes, it feels awful when it fails, but we do it because he knows over a course of a season, the average team that defends a lead and counter attacks, will win more points than the team that keeps pushing forward. Leeds are kind of demonstrating that, I know they are just ahead of us, but if we get our "sitting back" game back to what it was, we *will* overtake them.

And all this comes from the words of the man himself. I think most journalists don't get it, though. It's worth listening very carefully to every word he says!

Last edited:

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think he talks in riddles. More that journalists are used to "manager speak" where they spew out the usual cliches about "shifts" and moans about the ref. Nuno is more careful with his words. Often he says the same thing about "improving" and "staying humble". Which are still beyond most manager speak - among British managers, anyway.

If you listen carefully, he does come out with the occasional real insight into his thinking, though. Occasionally little comments he's made come back to me weeks or months later and I realise that he was saying something important, only it's easy to miss at the time. "It starts with keeping a clean sheet"....

Also many statements that show he knows a lot of football is luck and you just have to play the percentages. He doesn't panic if something doesn't work out one time, if he believes that percentage wise, it works in the long run. Classic example being sitting back in a lead. Yes, it feels awful when it fails, but we do it because he knows over a course of a season, the average team that defends a lead and counter attacks, will win more points than the team that keeps pushing forward. Leeds are kind of demonstrating that, I know they are just ahead of us, but if we get our "sitting back" game back to what it was, we *will* overtake them.

And all this comes from the words of the man himself. I think most journalists don't get it, though. It's worth listening very carefully to every word he says!
Yes. Very, very occasionally ... he bites ... and then those are the times to listen.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to Jordao he has had a few good games out there and he is desperate to get a chance from his interviews. Which is exactly what you want to see, a bit of hunger and desire to wear the old gold.

the Italian press said when we signed him and Neto, he was closer to first team ready then neto would be.

then after a promising start to his first senior start he gets the horrific knee injury the same game as shabani. Killing any development in its tracks temporarily.

would be great to see him given a chance.
Yeah, I know Jordao was doing ok which is why its a bit of a surprise that he's not at least on the bench. Campana appears to be really struggling - only 6 appearances, no goals, 4 yellow cards...

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, I know Jordao was doing ok which is why its a bit of a surprise that he's not at least on the bench. Campana appears to be really struggling - only 6 appearances, no goals, 4 yellow cards...
Campana, did get injured but not sure if it was a quick one or not.
The jordao bit will come out in the wash I hope, as he has the bit between the teeth and reports about him are always positive.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like life a lot of football is simple , and boring and repetitive.
What I have learnt from listening to Nuno when I am playing sport is - keep trying to improve the basics and the results will follow.
Putting more aggression , speed and force doesn’t always improve the game . Perfecting the basics does improve your game.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like life a lot of football is simple , and boring and repetitive.
What I have learnt from listening to Nuno when I am playing sport is - keep trying to improve the basics and the results will follow.
Focus on moments and take it game by game.

Back
Top Bottom