Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno In or Out (unbiased poll)

• Thread starter Deleted member 9202LYK
  • Start date

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, yes. Making decisions without complete information, that's football. It's inherently unpredictable, which is why even the Scummy 6 who have occupied the top 6 positions for most of the last 15- 20 years want a breakaway. They hate the idea of the losing to the Forgotten 14, which can happen due to the unpredictability :)

Anyway, what if we start next season like Sheff Utd did this season? Or Watford the season before? Real world, recent examples of teams who finished safe mid table and who were playing somewhat better than we are now. And plummeted the next season. How would the "Keep Nuno for ever " people feel then?

Nobody knows what's going to happen. However looking at the direction a club is taking gives a vague pointer. What direction have we gone in over the past year? Is there really any sign that we have turned a corner yet? A couple of false dawns (eg v Arsenal) . We used to be a team that rarely played 2 consecutive bad matches, if something went wrong, Nuno improved it for the next one. Now we are the opposite. Unable to string together 2 good performances. Any improvement in a match, the next few slip back into the malaise.

Don't know if you saw the Telegraph article on us the other day? Was very interesting, neither overly positive or negative, broadly saying, after a very bright 3 seasons, we've hit real trouble and it remains to be seen whether Nuno can sort it out in the summer. Though it did point out the roots of our problems were visible even in the good times (dependence on Raul for goals etc, That's it - "remains to be seen".

Which is why I want Nuno to stay and at have a real go at turning it around. Though I honestly think it 50/50 whether he will be able to achieve it. We could do with some luck in the transfer market! And it is a lot of luck, no transfer was ever 100% certain, look at Werner - looked like an inevitable winner but has really disappointed.

Also injury luck, though to me injuries are not a good excuse. If a clubs plan depends on certain players (or in our case, every player, it seems, with the small squad) staying fully fit the whole season, it'sa bad plan doomed to failure in the long run. Note both Sheff U and Watford (well, probably every struggling team) will point to injuries as their problem.

TLDR: next season could be either better or worse than this one, nobody knows for sure. And anybody who says they do know lacks insight into their own ignorance. :D

PS All those who use Southampton as the example of how great a team did for keeping their manager after a 9-0 defeat. Have you seen their form? They were top at Xmas but since then have sunk so fast, they must surely be in trouble for next season? They are sinking without trace.
West Ham?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Ham?

Yes, did well with summer signings. That's what I'm saying.

And were you expecting West Ham to be CL challengers? Be honest, nobody was. Because those turnarounds from bottom 6 to top 6 within months are rare. Which is why it gets commented on so often. Maybe Brighton will be next seasons West Ham? Or Norwich will be next seasons Leeds? it's as likely as us being top 6, isn't it?

It's been an odd season in that 3 teams fell behind right from the start. 2 of which looked clear relegation fodder from the first month. It's not usually like that, most likely the standard of the bottom 6 to 8 will be better next season? Norwich look to be coming back stronger than when they went down. Without the "Truly Terrible Trio" of this season looking a league behind from Day 1, we'd be in a much worse position.

Last edited:

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any poll where voter names are publicly viewable is perforce a futile exercise. It is inherently unfair as some might fear repercussions on a forum with people who can at times be obnoxious.

Anonymity is a prerequisite.
Death of the voter. Kill him I say !

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
It isn't one match though is it? It's about 25 matches, this season.

If your consistent, then one good result isn't enough to remove all doubt in a manager, either.
Totally agree, that's why I'm in the probably camp.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
I will vote after the match against the ****e. If we get hammered, he maybe gone before the vote closes anyhow.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm in the possibly camp, although it would take a few serious hammerings and changing nothing at all.

AlwaysAwolf

Reaction score
In my opinion I would push the boat all out this summer to get Julen Lopetegui who plays an exciting brand of football.
Does anyone think we would have any chance of enticing Max Allegri to Molineux? If so that would surely make people sit up and take notice.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have an obvious issue in scoring goals. It’s less than 1 a game on average over nearly 50 games now.
Nuno is not a fool. He saw the Brighton, Burnley, Sheffield, Chelsea and Arsenal games towards the end of last season and knew things had to change but for a variety of reasons (recruitment being the main one in my opinion) it hasn’t happened.
The question is can he take the team forward? I honestly don’t know, but I hope he gets the chance to try. He deserves that.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do feel we need a significant overhaul.
That run to the EL quarterfinals was a water shed.
Nuno needs a recharged squad. Or the squad needs a recharged manager

Lycaon

Reaction score
I do feel we need a significant overhaul.
That run to the EL quarterfinals was a water shed.
Nuno needs a recharged squad. Or the squad needs a recharged manager
Ideally both if it stems this malaise!
Must admit though, as this thread has progressed my view point changes on a daily basis, thanks very much Nuno but time to go. Tempered with, actually he can still do a job next season if things fall into place.
Can see my opinion swinging one way or the other depending on squad selection, formation and results for the remaining games. Then comes recruitment in the summer which I hope we don’t leave to the last minute as we’ll be no better off for bedding in a team.
Onwards and upwards I suppose?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ideally both if it stems this malaise!
Must admit though, as this thread has progressed my view point changes on a daily basis, thanks very much Nuno but time to go. Tempered with, actually he can still do a job next season if things fall into place.
Can see my opinion swinging one way or the other depending on squad selection, formation and results for the remaining games. Then comes recruitment in the summer which I hope we don’t leave to the last minute as we’ll be no better off for bedding in a team.
Onwards and upwards I suppose?

Been saying for ages, these are not pointless games, they are crucial for setting us up for next season. That Telegraph article said as much the other day - we need to end the season with a flourish. As much as anything, we need to show something to attract a superstar or two in the summer.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think a new coach with new ideas and some new players are needed.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or football in general? If we were sensible, we wouldn't bother caring about a spectator sport we have no influence in. Just saying... :p
True. We have no influence or knowledge. There are no doubt loads of things going on daily which we are unaware of, good and bad. Football is, at PL level, played by very wealthy individuals, often immature due their very protected football regime, and who have no particular affiliation to any team (despite Club sponsored PR waffle) or manager. The manager is largely immaterial to players other than if they are being treated fairly (in the players eyes) or otherwise.

The series of books by the Secret Footballer are very illuminating.

Pity that Julius Caesar no longer posts on here (as far as I know). I think he had a relation or friend who played for the Wolves a few years ago and his very well written takes of how footballers deal with issues were a great read.

Not bothered if Nuno goes personally. We and the team seem to have run out of steam, and are desperately tedious to watch. Miles away from making serious inroads into the top 6 (Leicester have shown what can be done), and we may see in the next transfer window what Fosun’s actual ambitions are. Other managers may make a better fist of our transfer policy and what tactics we employ. It beggars belief that we currently so lacking in defence, midfield and attack.

Personally can’t wait until 2021/2022 starts.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
It would be unforgivable to sack Nuno after the Albion match, whatever the score. They still crow on about being the team to give McCarthy the sack. To allow them to take credit for the sacking of our most successful and beloved manager in modern times would be a massive kick in teeth. Not that Jeff and Fosun would ever do that. Thankfully they are the ones who make the decisions. He won't be pushed anytime soon.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
True. We have no influence or knowledge. There are no doubt loads of things going on daily which we are unaware of, good and bad. Football is, at PL level, played by very wealthy individuals, often immature due their very protected football regime, and who have no particular affiliation to any team (despite Club sponsored PR waffle) or manager. The manager is largely immaterial to players other than if they are being treated fairly (in the players eyes) or otherwise.

The series of books by the Secret Footballer are very illuminating.

Pity that Julius Caesar no longer posts on here (as far as I know). I think he had a relation or friend who played for the Wolves a few years ago and his very well written takes of how footballers deal with issues were a great read.

Not bothered if Nuno goes personally. We and the team seem to have run out of steam, and are desperately tedious to watch. Miles away from making serious inroads into the top 6 (Leicester have shown what can be done), and we may see in the next transfer window what Fosun’s actual ambitions are. Other managers may make a better fist of our transfer policy and what tactics we employ. It beggars belief that we currently so lacking in defence, midfield and attack.

Personally can’t wait until 2021/2022 starts.
A very good post.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One match could do a lot to help improve our view of this season. The next one
We are better than WBA , show commitment and professionalism and win.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've been pretty dog**** for over a season.

Nuno has my backing but if results and/or performances look this bad within the first 8 games of next season then I'm afraid he'll have spent all the credit he has banked.

Needs to do much, much better.
I don't think FOSUN will **** about either.
I can see some validity in him being touted around. It makes sense to 'sell' him. He's a commodity like the players are.

If we were to get £2m compo it's a hell of a lot better than being £Xm down from paying out his contract.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of sense talked here. I would keep Adama for at least another season at least. He is always going to struggle to press and chase for 90 minutes though with his physique. Definitely better of the bench more Hussain Bolt than Mo Fara.
Is that Usain's brother?

He might know Mo Farah too.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've been pretty dog**** for over a season.

Nuno has my backing but if results and/or performances look this bad within the first 8 games of next season then I'm afraid he'll have spent all the credit he has banked.

Needs to do much, much better.
I don't think FOSUN will **** about either.
I can see some validity in him being touted around. It makes sense to 'sell' him. He's a commodity like the players are.

If we were to get £2m compo it's a hell of a lot better than being £Xm down from paying out his contract.
rumours it is £8mill.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno has my total backing, the remaining five games this season will have zero bearing on that. The body language just suggests that they, the players and manager as well as many of us fans just want this season over and done with. This season has been a series of behind closed doors exhibition matches, coming straight off the back of the longest season in the club's history and so soon after what would have undoubtedly been a big mental blow losing a Europa quarter final. Add in the problems we've had during the season and for me, Nuno gets a pass, he's not the reason we've had the season we've had.

It comes down to the summer recruitment and how we start next season. If it's still very slow out the blocks, cautious football then there's a decision to be made. But, a proper break, players back, a couple of new signings indicating a move to a more adventurous system and fans back. Things might just get back to normal and let's be honest, up until Covid, they were pretty damn good

R

reanswolf

I know it sounds pathetic but I would actually shed real tears if he left. He has bought such joy and commitment to our club. If he was sacked I would also be mighty angry.
Me too, great post.

I don't always agree with everything and I know I am opinionated about things like midfield, but the key other issue is injuries. People should remember what Nuno can bring with a full healthy squad.

And that it is incredibly difficult to find a manager who can take us to such levels. I know his season has been dog****e but I genuinely love the man and I hope he is Wolves manager for many years.

A change of manager always brings new hope but it also brings great risk of decline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me too, great post.

I don't always agree with everything and I know I am opinionated about things like midfield, but I believe that since I started that issue after Seville I have been proved right. Even bloody Albion will probably boss the midfield.

Anyway, the key other issue is injuries. People should remember what Nuno can bring with a full healthy squad.

And that it is incredibly difficult to find a manager who can take us to such levels. I know his season has been dog****e but I genuinely love the man and I hope he is Wolves manager for many years.

A change of manager always brings new hope but it also brings great risk of decline.
A few days ago someone on this forum attached a list of injuries/games missed per club in the PL. Liverpool had the worst record and Arsenal (I think) the best. Wolves were about 7th best. Therefore the real issue is not injuries but the small squad theory, which Nuno has encouraged. We have have gone through a season with shameful lack of options and experienced cover in defence, midfield and attack. In addition our transfer activity in the last 12 months (at least) has been at best unbalanced. Again Nuno has run with this. Finally we are now pretty awful to watch with poor goal threat.

Whether we change managers is a moot point but very poor decisions have been made. Very difficult to criticise Nuno who seems a fine sort of guy but changes should be made and the question (in addition to trying to establish what Fosun’s ambitions are now) is whether Nuno is the person to do it. I fear he is not, which would be a great shame.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few days ago someone on this forum attached a list of injuries/games missed per club in the PL. Liverpool had the worst record and Arsenal (I think) the best. Wolves were about 7th best. Therefore the real issue is not injuries but the small squad theory, which Nuno has encouraged. We have have gone through a season with shameful lack of options and experienced cover in defence, midfield and attack. In addition our transfer activity in the last 12 months (at least) has been at best unbalanced. Again Nuno has run with this. Finally we are now pretty awful to watch with poor goal threat.

Whether we change managers is a moot point but very poor decisions have been made. Very difficult to criticise Nuno who seems a fine sort of guy but changes should be made and the question (in addition to trying to establish what Fosun’s ambitions are now) is whether Nuno is the person to do it. I fear he is not, which would be a great shame.

The issue is WHO got injured. Liverpool were top but half of their injuries were to 3rd or 4th choice players and I heard the tea lady also sprained her wrist. We've had key players out, not the reserves. Leicester were complaining they had nine injuries when they played Liverpool, if you looked at the Leicester side that played that game you'd say there were two or three out.

It's not really down to having a small squad, if the injuries had happened to Saiss, Otasowie, Vitinha, Silva, Hoever, Marçal etc then we'd have been fine. But they happened to key players

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue is WHO got injured. Liverpool were top but half of their injuries were to 3rd or 4th choice players and I heard the tea lady also sprained her wrist. We've had key players out, not the reserves. Leicester were complaining they had nine injuries when they played Liverpool, if you looked at the Leicester side that played that game you'd say there were two or three out.

It's not really down to having a small squad, if the injuries had happened to Saiss, Otasowie, Vitinha, Silva, Hoever, Marçal etc then we'd have been fine. But they happened to key players
Fair points but our squad of experienced players is far too small and after three seasons of being virtually injury free things have caught up with us.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it sounds pathetic but I would actually shed real tears if he left. He has bought such joy and commitment to our club. If he was sacked I would also be mighty angry.

Yes, I would have done at any point in the last 4 years. But not now. Looking back, the turning point was the Albion defeat and the lack of interest shown that day. Nothing much has changed since then.

However, beat them convincingly, finish the season with a flourish, get a couple of "wow can't believe they've signed for us" players in the summer and it will return, though.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

3rd choice Van Dijk? Jota? Shurely not?

Then we have our pattern of injuries, luck plays a part. But then we've also had an appareny succession of follow on injuries (Boly, Podence, Neto, Jonny, possibly one or two of Marcals many injuries) where players have probably been playing ahead of the ideal schedule. Because we have a small squad.

The reserves are less likely to get injured because they are sat on the bench! When RaN played a bit, he got injured. And the playets sent out week after week, especially during last seasons gruel-fest, are the ones who will most likelt succomb. The reason is WHO got injured, precisely because we have so few available that we depend on. It's a squad game and Liverpool's and Leicesters squads are simply stronger than ours.

When we finished above Leicester, did anyone say "it's only because Vardy had a spell out injured, where Raul played every match?". What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3rd choice Van Dijk? Jota? Shurely not?

Then we have our pattern of injuries, luck plays a part. But then we've also had an appareny succession of follow on injuries (Boly, Podence, Neto, Jonny, possibly one or two of Marcals many injuries) where players have probably been playing ahead of the ideal schedule. Because we have a small squad.

The reserves are less likely to get injured because they are sat on the bench! When RaN played a bit, he got injured. The reason is WHO got injured, precisely because we have so few available that we depend on. It's a squad game and Liverpool's and Leicesters squads are simply stronger than ours.

When we finished above Leicester, did anyone say "it's only because Vardy had a spell out injured, where Raul played every match?". What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Read my post again, then correct your first sentence

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno has my total backing, the remaining five games this season will have zero bearing on that. The body language just suggests that they, the players and manager as well as many of us fans just want this season over and done with. This season has been a series of behind closed doors exhibition matches, coming straight off the back of the longest season in the club's history and so soon after what would have undoubtedly been a big mental blow losing a Europa quarter final. Add in the problems we've had during the season and for me, Nuno gets a pass, he's not the reason we've had the season we've had.

It comes down to the summer recruitment and how we start next season. If it's still very slow out the blocks, cautious football then there's a decision to be made. But, a proper break, players back, a couple of new signings indicating a move to a more adventurous system and fans back. Things might just get back to normal and let's be honest, up until Covid, they were pretty damn good
Very sensible post. The one unknown is whether Nuno wants out, say for family reasons. This could be the real issue.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have an obvious issue in scoring goals. It’s less than 1 a game on average over nearly 50 games now.
Nuno is not a fool. He saw the Brighton, Burnley, Sheffield, Chelsea and Arsenal games towards the end of last season and knew things had to change but for a variety of reasons (recruitment being the main one in my opinion) it hasn’t happened.
The question is can he take the team forward? I honestly don’t know, but I hope he gets the chance to try. He deserves that.
It should be pointed out that while measly and something that needs improving a goal a game is 0.3 below the average 1.3 goals a game. The difference between where we are now and the average is an extra goal every 3 games. An extra goal every two games would put us in the top half for goals scored, and around the same amount as leeds, but would still have everybody lamenting that we don't score enough goals.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Read my post again, then correct your first sentence

Fair enough, so half their injuries were to first choice players.

Our squad is still too small. And we were/are too heavily dependent on one player for goal scoring and creation.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sensible post. The one unknown is whether Nuno wants out, say for family reasons. This could be the real issue.
There could be anything like that. Crossed my mind last night that it may have already been agreed that there will be a parting of the ways at the end of the season whether from Nuno or the board, on the flip side they may have decided we're safe, and we'll go full steam with Nuno's new dream once this pile of **** season is over

That's always the big unknown

Back
Top Bottom