Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno In or Out (unbiased poll)

• Thread starter Deleted member 9202LYK
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Two x top seven finishes means he has earned the right to have a not so good season. There were extenuating circumstances this time.

However this issues are ;

Lack of goals
Lack of pace
Conor Coady and Roman Saiss
Lack of midfield creativity
Jao replacement

We are badly in need of a rebooting, the difficulty is however that significant investment will not be forthcoming in the current uncertain economic scene globally.
I agree with most of your issues - but I think the problem is we don't have anyone the opposition is frightened of. I know we have Adama, but he's very stoppable now he's been worked out. Other than that they just play their own game and we struggle. If they were having to worry about Jota and Raul, then I think a lot of those issues would sort themselves out.

I'm frustrated by Nuno, especially not giving Vitinha more minutes, for signing Willian Jose and for throwing the cup game against Southampton, but I think he managed to get us out of the mess we were in by doing those things and he definitely deserves a chance to beef up the squad and see what we can do in a more normal world.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see the wink, but a better way to phrase it would be:

a) do you want Boris to stay?
b) I want Jeremy Corbyn instead
Perfect!

Even I, as an ardent non-toryite, cringed every time JC spoke.

Bah. Makes me want to watch Wolves 0-4 Burnley on repeat just thinking about him

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In an ideal world this would be brilliant but he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I'm more than happy for him to try out some of the players we need to make decisions on and for it to perhaps be a little easier on the eye - but if we lose all our games - including next weeks (as we often say we don't have the right players currently for the other system so it could be a possibility), would you be happy to give him a chance next year?

I would, but I'm sure quite a few vocal individuals wouldn't and therefore he's unlikely to come out of it positively either way.

Yes I would.

I have said since the beginning of the season that I would be happy with a lower finish if we showed signs of progressing with the younger players and moving towards a more positive style. I have repeatedly said for the last 3 weeks that I would rather we look towards next year and played more positively whilst giving younger players more game time.

If you look back through my posts, I was actually more positive following the recent West Ham defeat, where we showed signs of making these changes than I have been following the wins against Fulham or Sheffield United in which I thought we were poor and dull. Certainly more positive than watching us get pummelled by Burnley and West Ham earlier in the season trying to play it safe.

I have been quite consistent in what I want to see.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I would.

I have said since the beginning of the season that I would be happy with a lower finish if we showed signs of progressing with the younger players and moving towards a more positive style. I have repeatedly said for the last 3 weeks that I would rather we look towards next year and played more positively whilst giving younger players more game time.

If you look back through my posts, I was actually more positive following the recent West Ham defeat, where we showed signs of making these changes than I have been following the wins against Fulham or Sheffield United in which I thought we were poor and dull. Certainly more positive than watching us get pummelled by Burnley and West Ham earlier in the season trying to play it safe.

In which case fair play at least you, unlike many on here - see the 4 v 5 at the back saga for example - are consistent.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I would.

Good. Sorry it wasn’t necessarily a suggestion you wouldn’t, just a question

Unfortunately not everyone will be as understanding

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He deserves another season. He’s given us memories that I thought were fantasy at best and impossible at worst.
Combo of Covid, injuries to key players and being too cautious. Give him the summer, pre-season m, a wedge of transfer money and let’s see where we are at Christmas.

D

Deleted member 11332

I understand we were very poor at the weekend, and for large parts of the season the football has been turgid as we have struggled to adapt to a new style.

BUT if we had not had the injury to Jiminez, Boly, Jonny, and Marcal and now Neto how do you think we would have fared in the season - my opinion is we would have finished the season at least 9 - 12 points better off and be on target for another season very close to 60 points again.

Where are the problems?
  1. Coady and Sasis are not quick enough to play centre half in a four
  2. Coady gets bullied too easy
  3. Our midfield sits too deep and doesn't contribute to enough goals
  4. Our midfield lacks pace and physicality
  5. We went into a season with one striker and a kid
  6. Jiminez leading from the front has proven very hard to replace
  7. The squad too small (both in numbers and in height/physically)
What do I want;
  • Top-quality 6'4" nasty centre half to replace Sais in a three (or Coady in a four)
  • Mobile and a physical central midfielder to play alongside Neves - play 10 yards higher up the pitch
  • Sell Adama (£30m+) and invest in a wide attacker who can contribute both assists and goals
  • Three strikers (Jiminez, Silva, and one other recognised senior goal scorer)
  • Send out Otasowie on loan to the Championship - I have seen him loads in the U23's he could be fantastic and save us tens of millions, but I bet he doesn't. Not sure about his attitude and application, awesome physical specimen - but falters to deceive and can't be trusted yet.
  • I want Nuno to have a real break, I think this pandemic has really damaged him
  • I want him to decide on a style of play and buy the players capable of playing that style
  • I want them to get players in early and have a proper pre-season working on that style
There is absolutely no need to sack Nuno, now or in the summer. He has proven to be an excellent coach that has had a poor year - not helped by injuries and a global pandemic. He deserves another season - if that what he wants.

This is awesome, to add to the centre half thing. We'd need said monster to actually be able to talk Mr Boly through the game if they play together.
I think the new striker should be someone who can also play wide. Gives us more flexibility and ensures we haven't just got him sat on the bench kicking his heels of Raul is back and the man.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
The vibe I get and looking at the recent poll of how far away many mixers live from the city is that predominately fans who live within the city want Nuno to stay as they can see the benefits he has bought to Wolverhampton. Whilst predominantly fans who live away from the city and may not particularly care about the city of Wolverhampton but care about the club want him gone.
Let’s show some loyalty to Nuno.

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It makes me sad that at this point in time, Steve Bruce has Newcastle playing a more exciting and effective brand of football than we do at a fraction of the price.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He deserves another season. He’s given us memories that I thought were fantasy at best and impossible at worst.
Combo of Covid, injuries to key players and being too cautious. Give him the summer, pre-season m, a wedge of transfer money and let’s see where we are at Christmas.

That's broadly my thinking, too. Then it's just those devilish details. Football is rarely that obvious, which is why since the dawn of it, fans would always argue as to who was to blame, who was the hero and who was the zero. :D

If we are bottom 3 at Xmas, then presumably we've seen enough is enough and time to look elsewhere ready for the Winter Window? Similarly, top 9 or 10, a few great results under our belts, mojo back, then we write this season off.

But I have a feeling it will be somewhere in the middle as things are rarely that clear. What if we are 14th, Raul either not back, or back and nowhere near previous form? Goals For still trundling along at less than 1 a game? Just been beaten by Brentford, only a couple of narrow 1-0 wins keeping us out the relegation zone? Imagine the polarisation here!

It's all academic, as I think he will leave in the summer anyway. He just doesn't look that interested and hasn't for months.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It makes me sad that at this point in time, Steve Bruce has Newcastle playing a more exciting and effective brand of football than we do at a fraction of the price.
Except that Newcastle’s starting line up Saturday cost roughly £128m by my calculation. 9 purchased, 2 of them from their academy.

Ours Sunday cost roughly £123m. 9 of them purchased, 2 on loan.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The vibe I get and looking at the recent poll of how far away many mixers live from the city is that predominately fans who live within the city want Nuno to stay as they can see the benefits he has bought to Wolverhampton. Whilst predominantly fans who live away from the city and may not particularly care about the city of Wolverhampton but care about the club want him gone.
Let’s show some loyalty to Nuno.
Hard here not to go over old ground but sentimentality seems to be playing a big part in why some/many fans want Nuno to stay. That's fine but not really a genuine reason to hold on to a manager. If a manager is available in the summer who can get this lot playing better and more motivated sentimentality should go out the window.

R

reanswolf

Currently 67% say NO, it was 97% a few months ago, shows how fickle football is.

I have voted NO on both occasions, but I wonder how many of those posters who abused me on here for even raising a poll (though the intention was show that he had great support) are now wanting change?

Its just a game of course, but FFS show the man some loyalty when things are getting tough.

Cannock Wolf has listed all the important issues in a great post, but no one could have foreseen the injury list.

If he does not put right the obvious weaknesses in the team over summer, then I'm afraid Nuno will have no one to blame but himself.
But he needs our support even if we lose to the Bennies (which we probably will).

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Except that Newcastle’s starting line up Saturday cost roughly £128m by my calculation. 9 purchased, 2 of them from their academy.

Plus, Newcastle haven't had two previous 7th place finishes, an FA Cup semi and a Europa quarter final. I know some toon fans who would take Nuno in a flash.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said yes because he looks lost mentally.

I'd love old Nuno back and he's better thrn any manager we could get.

But whats the chances that happens?

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Currently 67% say NO, it was 97% a few months ago, shows how fickle football is.

I have voted NO on both occasions, but I wonder how many of those posters who abused me on here for even raising a poll (though the intention was show that he had great support) are now wanting change?

Its just a game of course, but FFS show the man some loyalty when things are getting tough.

Cannock Wolf has listed all the important issues in a great post, but no one could have foreseen the injury list.

If he does not put right the obvious weaknesses in the team over summer, then I'm afraid Nuno will have no one to blame but himself.
But he needs our support even if we lose to the Bennies (which we probably will).
Whatever happened to the pack mentality we’ve all bought into? When someone in your pack is struggling you stand tall behind them.

Alonewolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Hard here not to go over old ground but sentimentality seems to be playing a big part in why some/many fans want Nuno to stay. That's fine but not really a genuine reason to hold on to a manager. If a manager is available in the summer who can get this lot playing better and more motivated sentimentality should go out the window.
I’m sure the same things were being said on the WHU forums last season - let’s see what the summer transfer window and pre season brings before we throw Nuno and half the team to the wolves..

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

IT's not sentimentality at all. Its the fact that Nuno has delivered us a great period of relative success throughout the whole time he has been here. So there have been a lot of crap performances - but previous to Nuno we had approximately 40 years of consistently crap performances.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You know, the fans who want Nuno out won’t be allowed to come to the victory parade when we inevitably win trophies.......sooner than you think!
There will be a perimeter all around Molineux and the side streets to keep the ‘unfaithful’ out while the bus arrives.
It’s really ironic because this is what they’ve been waiting for but alas......:)

As Nuno says.....be humble.
1619547183546.jpeg

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much was joe Linton? I reckon Newcastle have spent more
Newcastle’s squad has cost them £221m in transfers.

Ours £242m.

So not quite, but when you consider a few of theirs have been around the squad several years and were brought before the market exploded post Neymar, where as a lot of ours has been purchased more recently I’d guess once you adjusted for market inflation their spend would be higher.

For their money they’ve scrapped survival and even the loved Benitez only dragged them to mid table. We’ve been to 7th twice an FA cup semi final and a Europa League quarter final.

Yet we’re now seriously underachieving, still sat comfortably above them.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Quite happy to say that I voted to sack him. The only reason I can see for keeping him is gratitude. Right now I cannot see a single footballing reason based on this season. And again, of course we'd have more points with no injuries. But coping with injuries is a manager's job. It was Nuno's decision to go into the season with no back up to Raul other than Fabio Silva.

We've regressed horribly this season. With the exception of Neto every player has gone backwards. We lost on xG to Chorley. The games against Sheff United and Fulham were mid table Championship at best. We didn't try against Burnley.

As has been said previously, Nuno buys the players, trains them, picks them, motivates them and talks to them at HT. He's done well, but this season and the end of last season has been dire, and it's getting worse. While other managers clap and cajole Nuno strokes his beard. He's a lovely bloke and I've have him round to dinner tomorrow, but being a lovely bloke isn't his job.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IT's not sentimentality at all. Its the fact that Nuno has delivered us a great period of relative success throughout the whole time he has been here. So there have been a lot of crap performances - but previous to Nuno we had approximately 40 years of consistently crap performances.

"40 years of consistently crap performances"............................?

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with most of your issues - but I think the problem is we don't have anyone the opposition is frightened of. I know we have Adama, but he's very stoppable now he's been worked out. Other than that they just play their own game and we struggle. If they were having to worry about Jota and Raul, then I think a lot of those issues would sort themselves out.

I'm frustrated by Nuno, especially not giving Vitinha more minutes, for signing Willian Jose and for throwing the cup game against Southampton, but I think he managed to get us out of the mess we were in by doing those things and he definitely deserves a chance to beef up the squad and see what we can do in a more normal world.

Yes I agree with most of what you say.

For me Jota gave us something different to any other player. To be he was the old fashioned ‘inside forward’ and we haven’t had one as good as him for a very long time.

You haven’t mentioned Neto who is a good player but a goal scoring winger as opposed to an inside forward!!

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way I see it is :

- we started with 5 at the back and the performances were poor but we scraped some half decent results with Jimenez finishing

- we moved to 4 at the back and looked really good going forward at times but clearly the individuals were too poor to defend

- we failed to sign a proper centre back and a proper centre mid in the January window .

- we reverted to 5 at the back because results were getting affected due to poor finishing , and sloppy defending - as well as some bad luck

- we have grinded out enough points using 5 at the back to stay up but have been quite lucky in these matches

- we were absolutely woeful at Fulham.

- we should have gone back to a back 4 vs Sheffield United and played vitinha and maybe mgw too

- we definitely should have changed it vs burnley. No pressure on the match at all. But he stuck with favourites

- we have been found out playing 5 at the back and our whole strategy is awful. Seems to be give it to traore and run at the moment

- we can’t coach basic throw in exercises

- we have no intention to pass and move

- our method to go forwards , is to go backwards

- we haven’t adapted to different personnel and just assumed whichever striker will play the same role as Jimenez .

- we have one of the best Portuguese u21 players on our bench who can’t get a look in despite having the best touch and awareness in our squad imo

Perhaps it was harsh calling for Nuno out, but if he doesn’t change things in the next 2-3 games, and show that we can be a team that can pass and move and play on the front foot - I would be looking to move on.

You want to give a new manager a pre season and new signings . Not respond to a bad situation in October / November if we don’t get off to a good start

We HAVE to improve in the next few games to keep neves and traore imo , two of the biggest wasted talents in the premier league at the moment the way we are playing

Woukd be gutted to see him go , but if he doesn’t sort some of these basics out ( playing 4 3 3, dropping out of form players - dendoncker , throw ins, and giving youngsters a chance in low pressure matches) then he only has himself to blame and you couldn’t really argue with him being sacked

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think Nuno has made the proper decisions in the last six months.
Yes I am aware of the long season, pandemic, injuries etc.
I am also aware that he is defensive to a fault, claims he will learn from mistakes but doesn't seem to, appears to pick certain players regardless, casts aside others with less opportunities.
My ideal is he turns us around in the last few games and gives me faith that he us the man to take us forward, at the minute I'm all out of faith.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hahahaha,Brilliant!

Your sort isn't welcome on the mix sir!

We dont let statistics get in the way here! Good day to you

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way I see it is :

- we started with 5 at the back and the performances were poor but we scraped some half decent results with Jimenez finishing

- we moved to 4 at the back and looked really good going forward at times but clearly the individuals were too poor to defend

- we failed to sign a proper centre back and a proper centre mid in the January window .

- we reverted to 5 at the back because results were getting affected due to poor finishing , and sloppy defending - as well as some bad luck

- we have grinded out enough points using 5 at the back to stay up but have been quite lucky in these matches

- we were absolutely woeful at Fulham.

- we should have gone back to a back 4 vs Sheffield United and played vitinha and maybe mgw too

- we definitely should have changed it vs burnley. No pressure on the match at all. But he stuck with favourites

- we have been found out playing 5 at the back and our whole strategy is awful. Seems to be give it to traore and run at the moment

- we can’t coach basic throw in exercises

- we have no intention to pass and move

- our method to go forwards , is to go backwards

- we haven’t adapted to different personnel and just assumed whichever striker will play the same role as Jimenez .

- we have one of the best Portuguese u21 players on our bench who can’t get a look in despite having the best touch and awareness in our squad imo

Perhaps it was harsh calling for Nuno out, but if he doesn’t change things in the next 2-3 games, and show that we can be a team that can pass and move and play on the front foot - I would be looking to move on.

You want to give a new manager a pre season and new signings . Not respond to a bad situation in October / November if we don’t get off to a good start

We HAVE to improve in the next few games to keep neves and traore imo , two of the biggest wasted talents in the premier league at the moment the way we are playing

Woukd be gutted to see him go , but if he doesn’t sort some of these basics out ( playing 4 3 3, dropping out of form players - dendoncker , throw ins, and giving youngsters a chance in low pressure matches) then he only has himself to blame and you couldn’t really argue with him being sacked
There are some great points here.

The throw ins and the fact that we expect all strikers to play the same role as Jimenez are excellent observations and clear deficiencies of ours

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted no, but thats not to say i'm not concerned. Somethings not quite right but i'm a firm believer in treating people who have some credit in the bank right. If he wants it, he deserves a chance to turn it around. I'd personally give him the first 10 games next season to show us things have changed. We should have a better pre season, i'm confident we wont make the same mistakes in the transfer market again, and we should have Raul back and we will only be missing Jonny and Neto. We should be seeing a positive change after 10 games imo even if we lose a few. We have to show signs of progress for him to keep his job after this season.

T

TheConcourse

Absolutely not. I was very frustrated after the Burnley game and the level of performance over the last 12 months. But let’s talk facts.

This team was built with a totally different system in mind.

For a large majority of the season we’ve been without 5 first 11 players. Ridiculous injuries.

No pre-season to work.

New players coming in to a packed schedule and a more physical league.

There are so many factors that have contributed to us sitting in 12th, our 3rd highest league position in decades.

Don’t lose the best manager we’ve had in a lifetime because we lack the patience to see a project through. The alternative is too high risk right now.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted yes for the reason I believe managers all have a set way of coaching and setting up a team and are incapable of changing that and having the same success, we need to be more attacking, need more possession and to score more goals if we ever want to progress past 7th.

To do that Nuno would have to totally change his tactical set up like how Leicester did, but like Leicester they had to replace Ranieri whose counter attacking set up won them the league but then got found out the following year after selling a couple key players(sound familiar?) with a manager who has always set his teams up to play the way Leicester are now in Rodgers. So as much as I love Nuno and want to see him succeed I believe our best chances of transitioning our style of play is under a new manager who sets their teams up like the way we would need with success already

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve had two threads (entitled reasons to go and reasons to stay). We’ve had a very biased poll called Nuno out. How about we see what the real situation is on the mix with a fair poll?

I hate it when people post things like this:

So, at the time of writing 55% of fans who have voted would sack Nuno tomorrow. It paints a depressing picture regarding the critical thinking ability of the wider population.

please mods let this run for the week I put on it.

if you’re unsure wait till after the next game....

to be clear unsure probably means unsure but I tend towards out, unsure possible means unsure tending towards in

Great but could you frame it more positively please - the title is awful

Back
Top Bottom