Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nunes to City

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Percy reported it as;

City’s first bid of £47m was rejected by Wolves last Thursday but there is now a sense at both clubs that the deal will be concluded in the next 24 hours.

Wolves did want at least £60m for Nunes, who was previously a club record signing at £42m last summer, as the model for owners Fosun is to sell young players for a big profit.

However, their stance softened somewhat as Nunes has not trained since Sunday in a bid to force through a move, and the club decided to accept an offer worth about £47.3m, which will include other various clauses, with time running out to complete their own business.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just two examples. I've not yet seen what the FT or the Washington Post have to say about it, though.
Haha, point taken, but those two in particular are total rags, I wouldn't trust a word they say. I could get political and the lies that they have peddled over the years but i won't (OT thread methinks)

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does it really matter what other fans think about the superficial details of the fee?

Even a good proportion of our own fans can't get their heads around it and take it at face value
It's not just other fans, though. It is all who take what is written at face value and affects out reputation and standing within the game. What if Chelsea or Yernited or Liverpool want the next Nunes and low-ball us because we appear to be a club that cave-in over these matters!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
47 all up front, in our bank, plus a 15 million player for 5 million. This is a very good deal.
A lot better than the alleged £4million instalments from LiVARpool for Jota!

Have they paid for him yet?

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not just other fans, though. It is all who take what is written at face value and affects out reputation and standing within the game. What if Chelsea or Yernited or Liverpool want the next Nunes and low-ball us because we appear to be a club that cave-in over these matters!
Then Wolves will just tell them to **** off because by the mechanics of the deal we haven't actually caved in to a low ball offer

SingleMalt

Reaction score
A lot of the papers reckon we've caved-in to Man City demands regards Nunes .

Express - Nunes strike pays off.
Star - City steal Nunes.

Despite the creative accounting of some on 'ere; looks like much of the wider football world thinks it's a good deal for City and not so good for us.
Compared to the Caicedo transfer; I'd have to agree!
On the face of it the deal might look like that, and today’s journalist isn’t going to try reading between the lines, or look at it from an inquisitive point of view. They’ll just say what they see, add some spin around what they think will rouse interest, and spam it out under a clickbait headline.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just two examples. I've not yet seen what the FT or the Washington Post have to say about it, though.

Personally think it’s a balanced deal given the respective bargaining positions of the two clubs. Not the greatest deal, but decent all things considered.

Regards the papers. Let’s not forget that a lot of those in the media have personal biases and vested interests so are more likely to play the City line vs ours. Listening to Talksport yesterday, the various presenters and pundits wore their club allegiances like badges of honour.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We do what's best for us as a club and right now (if the deal as reported in the media is to be believed) a £47m lump sum, a cut priced deal on an International CB and a quality young English player we can sign for a pittance if he comes good is worth far more to us than £60m in instalments (which it would undoubtedly have been) and add-ons

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does it really matter what other fans think about the superficial details of the fee?

Even a good proportion of our own fans can't get their heads around it and take it at face value
I can see your point but Sky sports will read these stories and tell their viewers the exact same thing over the weekend.

Then it’s all over Twitter and players are thinking the same and then when we try and sign a player we get the “he’s not keen due to the issues at the club and lack of ambition”

Lopetegui running to his mate in the media every week certainly hasn’t helped our image.

The only way to turn this around now is for signings like Doyle, Bueno and Gonzalez to really shine then the press go all Brighton on us and praise us for our brilliant scouting network

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We do what's best for us as a club and right now (if the deal as reported in the media is to be believed) a £47m lump sum, a cut priced deal on an International CB and a quality young English player we can sign for a pittance if he comes good is worth far more to us than £60m in instalments (which it would undoubtedly have been) and add-ons
Nicely put.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That cut price deal is certainly being left out by the media who probably don’t understand it. I’m happy with what we’ve got it’s a good deal for the Club.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post. Sums it up quite well. Taking these other two signings into account, and the money up front, it is quite a good deal.

Regardless of the papers, other clubs will see the truer picture and are less likely to believe we have simply rolled over

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post. Sums it up quite well. Taking these other two signings into account, and the money up front, it is quite a good deal.

Regardless of the papers, other clubs will see the truer picture and are less likely to believe we have simply rolled over
How so if this is what's being reported and that Wolves usually keep these details secret E.G. 'undisclosed'? City unlikely to let it be known that Wolves negotiated long and hard!

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How so if this is what's being reported and that Wolves usually keep these details secret E.G. 'undisclosed'? City unlikely to let it be known that Wolves negotiated long and hard!
Because anyone who cares to dig a little deeper, will see that the deals for Doyle and Bueno are well below market value, and although these are not 'officially' part of the Nunes deal, they clearly are at the same time

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of the papers reckon we've caved-in to Man City demands regards Nunes .

Express - Nunes strike pays off.
Star - City steal Nunes.

Despite the creative accounting of some on 'ere; looks like much of the wider football world thinks it's a good deal for City and not so good for us.
Compared to the Caicedo transfer; I'd have to agree!
Given where we are with owners, finance, stability, squad depth size and quality, who cares what the papers or other fans actually think?

Good deal? Bad deal? Who knows anymore. We rarely ever know the full details of any transfers …

I hate football.

Bigcheese

Reaction score
At the end of the day, Nunes is no longer a wolves player, he went on strike to force things, so **** him.
He's sulked since the day he got here, hasn't really been any good and by no means a £42m player we thought we were getting.
Good riddance Nunes, welcome Doyle.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a few months ago I would have been absolutely chuffed that we could recover the money we had "lost" in buying him.

Nothing much has changed except that I can see that he had more value, but still not worth what we paid.

So, getting back what we paid and a teeny bit of profit, not to mention the enabling of the byzantine maneuvers that allows us to get 2 promising players from the Man City stable is TOTALLY FINE by me.

So there.

Andi130

Reaction score
Glad this carp's nearly all sorted. Still think its a bum deal in the current market, but that's just my own opinion. £47M, a discount of a defender(what, £2m?) and a player on loan. One who could quite easily turn around and say 'I ain't signing' in 10 months time. Thats if he even gets more than 5 games. CM is the last position we need reinforcement, but we've got a good deal, right?

Paqueta was really worth nearly twice as much as Nunes? Doku worth more than him? Questionable on both counts.

Am I surprised though. Not a jot. Nothing surprises me down here anymore. It's generally an excrement show at best.

Purely speculative but..........Are we to really, really believe that this was a hush-hush, Gestifute motivated plan? One that Fosun had absolutely no hand in? Or is there reason to speculate that this was all part of the Fosun plan?

A convenient way of getting rid of another of the big value players, against the backdrop of fans getting miffed with the continued firesale, and rank mismanagement from within the halls of the Boardroom?

Did Nunes really throw his toys, or is it just a guise to turn the fans back in the direction of the club, strip out the last of the real value Gestifute assets(Pre-sale agenda, maybe?), paper over the cash cracks and have the fans drinking from Jeffs dirty bowl saying how delicious it was after all!? There are enough taking a sip on this one, that's for sure.

Feels like I've just written the plotline to a Fosun based 'who done it', I know. This season really is the gift that keeps on giving though. Every ruddy corner. The joke of it all, many of us are paying for it emotionally and financially. Let's just hope we stay up, hey!

Last edited:

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
It kinda feels a bit like agreeing to buy a house for a negotiated amount then after the survey getting the seller to agree to include the cooker and integrated appliances, replace the carpets and getting their builder mates to throw in a replacement of the flat roof on the kitchen extension.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because anyone who cares to dig a little deeper, will see that the deals for Doyle and Bueno are well below market value, and although these are not 'officially' part of the Nunes deal, they clearly are at the same time
This is not intended to be an antagonistic question, but what are you basing this ‘discount’ on Bueno on? I doubt anybody here was watching Girona week in week out, I’ve seen reference to his release clause but they’re usually deliberately set at the ceiling of a players potential value. How long did he have left in his contract? Transfermarkt values him at 8m euros though equally unreliable.

Clearly it would make the complexion of the deal much better, but at this stage based on the evidence (or lack of) I have seen, it could just be post event rationalisation en masse.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is not intended to be an antagonistic question, but what are you basing this ‘discount’ on Bueno on? I doubt anybody here was watching Girona week in week out, I’ve seen reference to his release clause but they’re usually deliberately set at the ceiling of a players potential value. How long did he have left in his contract? Transfermarkt values him at 8m euros though equally unreliable.

Clearly it would make the complexion of the deal much better, but at this stage based on the evidence (or lack of) I have seen, it could just be post event rationalisation en masse.
I think a few other posters have alluded to it - weren't another club quoted a much higher price iirc? Maybe someone can help out with this.

But here's one source.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope he gets what he deserves on his return, abuse similar to that dished out to Danny Murphy should let him know how we feel. ****!

He’ll probably get another “strategic “ Red Card the week before

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the end of the day, Nunes is no longer a wolves player, he went on strike to force things, so **** him.
He's sulked since the day he got here, hasn't really been any good and by no means a £42m player we thought we were getting.
Good riddance Nunes, welcome Doyle.
There's a very special player in there but he was only prepared to show what he could do a fraction of the time he was here. He knew from day one he was only here as a stepping stone to a bigger club so essentially played well within himself in order to avoid an injury that may prevent a move.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still disappointed he's going.

Been bigging him up for weeks off the back of his pre-season and Man Utd performances

£53m is great, but it doesn't directly benefit me as a fan. Money in the bank is all well and good but I want to see top quality players play for the Wolves and we've just lost one.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£53 million with money upfront and a discount on 2 players.

Still baffles me if he’s worth that then how is Caicedo worth £105 million or Cole Palmer £45 million but hey ho.

Looks like the equivalent of a £75 million deal for us.

Back
Top Bottom