Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Norwich verdict

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not surprised when he sees a lightweight utter show pony getting in ahead of him.

Chicken and egg. If that’s how Adama appears on the training pitch, then he’s not going to get a starting position unless we are short or options. It’s telling that his form often improves when the transfer window is open or about to open.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to find a solution to our away performances maybe a new formation like 3-5-2 if we can mix things up they can only get better. Unfortunately Norwich wasn’t that good and we was worse looking back lucky to get a draw.

Adama heads gone he’s going we all know it. But until January we need him.

Trincao I’m not sure he’s suited to the English game.

If we can beat Burnley and perform well against liverpool then that’s all we can ask for things are starting to get hard with the coming fixtures.

It’s obvious the midfield needs 1/2 fresh faces and an enforcer type.

Again I’ll say the forwards was poor but so was the service, we just have to write this one off and go again Wednesday what will be another tough opponent because of the style Burnley play.

Positives - Coady, Sa & Kilman played very well considering the chances Norwich had.

No neves on Weds is a worry Dendoncker will probably fill in. Let’s hope for 3 points

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Another dog**** performance but honestly, I expected that as we just haven't got the consistency. Maybe abit of it was because of Norwichs new manager bounce. Really need a box to box MF in Jan, a spoiler like Renato would be immense in this team.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is driven by the manager. I’ve never seen a team so it so much. So negative.

The question is which manager? Bruno’s screaming at his players to move up and be aggressive but left to their own devices, the default response when faced with opposition players ahead is to pass back. I think this is years of drilling under Nuno that’s doing this, not Bruno.

There was a long spell in the first half when we saw a different team. A team which moved, found spaces, retained possession and weaved the ball forward between the lines. That’s Bruno’s team. It didn’t create too many clear cut chances (the cross from RAN and scuffed shot from Raul) but this was down to the front three not having making good final passes or making poor decisions.

Last edited:

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chicken and egg. If that’s how Adama appears on the training pitch, then he’s not going to get a starting position unless we are short or options. It’s telling that his form often improves when the transfer window is open or about to open.
It’s nothing to do with the training pitch and everything to do with him not signing a new contract.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he signed his new contract, I'm sure he would be starting games and be an integral member of the squad.
The solution is in his own hands.
If the club actually want him to stay they are cutting off their nose to spite their face right now. Not only is the way that he being treated almost certain to drive him out but it is reducing his fee and might even persuade him to sit it out to the end of his contract just to spite Lage and Shi. In the meantime we play inferior players and results suffer. Sheer ****ing genius....NOT!

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The question is which manager? Bruno’s screaming at his players to move up and be aggressive but left to their own devices, the default response when faced with opposition players ahead is to pass back. I think this is years of drilling under Nuno that’s doing this, not Bruno.

There are a long spell in the first half when we saw a different team. A team which moved, found spaces, retained possession and weaved the ball forward between the lines. That’s Bruno’s team. It didn’t create too many clear cut chances (the cross from RAN and scuffed shot from Raul) but this was down to the front three not having making good final passes or making poor decisions.
Spot on, but did the break in play (Normann) unwell give Smiffy time to get instructions to close Neves down and stop him dictating play which he had been doing from about the 10 minute mark.
Second half we were poor, RAN had a very poor half which negated our attacking threat with nowt going down the right either, all in all a game to forget we were lucky to come away with a point. Onwards to Burnley at home without Neves then our horrendous December to follow with 16 players to choose from, we need good luck with them because i have a feeling we are going to need it.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the club actually want him to stay they are cutting off their nose to spite their face right now. Not only is the way that he being treated almost certain to drive him out but it is reducing his fee and might even persuade him to sit it out to the end of his contract just to spite Lage and Shi. In the meantime we play inferior players and results suffer. Sheer ****ing genius....NOT!
Funny how the current best team in the country are happy to play a player who won’t sign a new contract and could leave for free in the summer.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For a start, how do you know? And even if you were right, who’s fault is that then?
Doesn't that rather depend on what is in the contract offer?

In any event Adama is still contracted to us and should be used and used properly.

Folk, including Lage, can't in one breath bewail the resources available to us and in the next breath defend the way Adama is being treated/used.

Last edited:

Coffer Wolf

Reaction score
Ffs this is utter garbage, 6th in the league an utter embarrassment, blah blah blah.

Bring back the bhati brothers, get Neil Masters out of retirement, Robert Taylor up front, get Dean Saunders back at the helm.

Some of you don't know you're born.

UncleJorge

Reaction score
How come so many are happy to criticise Bruno but Nuno was untouchable?
Bruno has been in charge for 13 games. The football on the whole is now better, he needs a couple of his faces in and time for his style to come through. The odd poor performance happens at every club. We’re 6th in the league for crying out loud and all I can read is how it’s all on the manager, yeah it’s on the manager that we’re 6th

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There are a long spell in the first half when we saw a different team. A team which moved, found spaces, retained possession and weaved the ball forward between the lines. That’s Bruno’s team. It didn’t create too many clear cut chances (the cross from RAN and scuffed shot from Raul) but this was down to the front three not having making good final passes or making poor decisions.
What’s that saying about trying to teach old dogs new tricks! Seems the players don’t listen when the opposition ignore the game plan and put pressure on.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ffs this is utter garbage, 6th in the league an utter embarrassment, blah blah blah.

Bring back the bhati brothers, get Neil Masters out of retirement, Robert Taylor up front, get Dean Saunders back at the helm.

Some of us who were around before the Bhatti brothers can see, looking at the fixtures, that we have had it relatively easy thus far. Let's see where we are in the New Year. If we are still 6th l will be the first to praise Lage.

Never forget that Lage's predecessor was criticised despite two successive 7th place finishes, an FA Cup semi-final and a European quarter-final. That is the context Lage will be judged in. He hasn't had the backing he deserves but nor did Nuno for his last two seasons. The question is whether he is using the resources he does have as well as he could. To me the jury is out on that.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Could have lost it, but good saves from Sa to get us a point. Trincao very very poor. Couldn't beat a man for toffee. Hwang anonymous.
Disappointing that it looks like we set out to accept a point against Norwich. I'm starting to think 3-5-2 might be better away from home, at least win more of the midfield battle. 3 forwards has seemed a bit pointless in the last few away matches (Leeds, Palace and Norwich)
Absolutely convinced yesterday that we should have gone 352. The way I see it when we play well (eg WHAM) the WBs play high, the forwards play narrow amd link together. Yesterday the WBs were generally deep, the wide forwards played wide and there was no link up. I thought when Donck came on we were doing that, but I'd struggle to even say where Adama was playing! Of course there is the minor issue of actually finding the bodies to play 3 in the middle!

Rugrats

Reaction score

These posts make zero sense ever - so because we're doing well in the league, (feel free to check Decembers fixtures coming up) that rules out criticism when we put in a ****e performance ?

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Absolutely convinced yesterday that we should have gone 352. The way I see it when we play well (eg WHAM) the WBs play high, the forwards play narrow amd link together. Yesterday the WBs were generally deep, the wide forwards played wide and there was no link up. I thought when Donck came on we were doing that, but I'd struggle to even say where Adama was playing! Of course there is the minor issue of actually finding the bodies to play 3 in the middle!
Yep 343 at home and 352 away could be the way forward as long as the wing backs are released in both formations.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A tough point earnt away from home in atrocious weather against a team trying to impress their new manager. Being disappointed is an indication of how far we have come. Things didn't quite click when attacking but the players just need to be brave and believe in themselves. When things don't come off it's not unusual to take the easy option. Potential for a good season
Spot on. People are entitled to their views of course, especially if they have paid to go and see the game and fought through the conditions to get there to outsing the home support it's understandable they are going to be miffed at a perceived lack of energy or desire.

However it didn't look like that to me. It looked quite clearly like we decided to let Norwich run out of steam and then try and peg them back, a game of cat and mouse, just like the Nuno team at it's best used to do. Norwich were pressing us very high up the field, we don't have an especially young or pacey team so it was unlikely we were going to get too many opportunities. And yet for long periods of the first half it looked like it was working.

Both teams had chances (there were two teams playing, including one who have two wins from their last two). Norwich did overcome our game plan by being resolute when they needed to, and exposing us at times. Even so, I don't think a defeat would have been a fair result. It wasn't like the palace game where they deserved to win, we were ok and that's as much as we can hope for at this stage with only Sa, Trincao and Hwang added to the team from last season, none of which could be considered a huge upgrade.

Bruno is being pragmatic, if not realistic. He's seen that going on the front foot from the first whistle is not an appropriate universal tactic, especially when you're as profligate as we are currently. He's tightened up the defence and we are in almost every game (unlike last season. I think people need to have a bit of patience and a dose of realism.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bruno’s assessment of our forward line needing to be more aggressive falls a little flat with me I’m afraid. All 3 forwards were poor yes and. I personally think Trincao isn’t ready for PL starts but that aside our forwards were not even feeding off scraps. The players behind them created nothing. RAN got into a few decent crossing positions but his final balls were terrible. In an attacking sense Semedo offered nothing preferring to pass backwards instead of attempting to take a player on. Crying out for an attacking minded midfielder who can surge forward and pick a forward pass. If that means reverting to a 3-5-2 then so be it but we have to try and create more chances for our forwards.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to find a solution to our away performances maybe a new formation like 3-5-2 if we can mix things up they can only get better.

We physically can't change the formation, we do not have the squad depth, nor the players for the system.
We either play a flat 343 and get overrun in midfield, or a flat 352 and get overrun in midfield and have no options on the bench in case of injuries / fitness.

Makes the decision to jettison MGW even more baffling. We've had ****show after ****show every transfer window since promotion, really.

Last edited:

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno’s assessment of our forward line needing to be more aggressive falls a little flat with me I’m afraid. All 3 forwards were poor yes and. I personally think Trincao isn’t ready for PL starts but that aside our forwards were not even feeding off scraps. The players behind them created nothing. RAN got into a few decent crossing positions but his final balls were terrible. In an attacking sense Semedo offered nothing preferring to pass backwards instead of attempting to take a player on. Crying out for an attacking minded midfielder who can surge forward and pick a forward pass. If that means reverting to a 3-5-2 then so be it but we have to try and create more chances for our forwards.
But there was no forward line yesterday,just Jimenez ,, hwang and trincao were tracking back in midfield..square pegs round holes again, hwang is a forward,play him along side Jimenez..play midfielders in midfield to help neves and mouthinio, " forwards" don't Wana track back

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
But there was no forward line yesterday,just Jimenez ,, hwang and trincao were tracking back in midfield..square pegs round holes again, hwang is a forward,play him along side Jimenez..play midfielders in midfield to help neves and mouthinio, " forwards" don't Wana track back
I agree play Whang and Raul as a 2 up front and play 5 in midfield. One of the midfielders tasked with getting forward a bit more to help supply the front two.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like to hear Bruno admit to making some mistakes himself. he always says " the players should do this, the players should do that" but never admits to the wrong team selection or poor substitutions when everyone can see that he has made several errors himself. Not totally unhappy with him but he needs to take a look at his own failings. Glad to be 6th, can only hope our home form continues to sparkle!

R

reanswolf

Absolutely bang on. Its been this way, by and large for 2 seasons.

This is why so many were incandescent with disappointment when the Sanches deal fell through at the last minute. You cannot simply rely on wing-backs to create, its incredibly predictable and easy to counter.

It can be absolutely painful and pretty unenjoyable to watch games like yesterday, and my son was so disappointed with our 2 long trips to Palace and Norwich. Of course he understands that football can be like this, he has had that drummed into him, but rarely will you see performances so devoid of attacking intent as these 2 games, though defensively quite strong.

But I am genuinely baffled how that same team (minus Podence) can overcome West Ham so impressively.

Oh well, we've got tickets for City away so guaranteed 3 points there (;-.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a performance fans want to see,but in the grand scheme of things a point away,( anywhere ) is a point gained.We ay a man city-Chelsea-Liverpool,yet.Like Bruno keeps saying..points are what's needed at the moment,over good performances.He knows.We know that to see the way Bruno wants us to play he needs new signings...Let's hope Jeff keeps the excuses to himself this January,and gives him the players he wants.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our formation can work and worry teams BUT..
Semedo and RAN (and Hoever) need to be drilled in being offensive, more so RAN. All 3 players seem to get forward with the ball and then visibly crap their pants as to what to do next, you can see them panic and again particularly RAN goes 3 paces forward panics and passes the ball backwards - so easy to play against, if he took his man on occasionally then at least his marker knows there is a possibility of having to be on the back foot but instead all his marker has to do is make sure he is in front of RAN’s field of vision.
Maybe we got too used to Doc and Jonny Doing this without too much analysis.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting a tetanus vaccine and treatment for an animal bite today was more interesting than whatever action was happening on the screen in the waiting room. More of the same Wolves vs relegation fodder, Nuno Bruno Micko whoever it is that manages us always seems to struggle against these sides. Boring football.
Not sure that's true. Bar the first Nuno prem season, we have a really really good record against the lower sides.

Hope you're ok! The game - as you say - was utter tosh. Based on yesterday, I think Norwich have enough to stay up. Certainly not one of the worst teams we have played, although we were very under par (and Pukki's finishing doesn't match his movement)

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more!

The truly sad things is that this is most likely as good as it gets. Barring another take over or a ludicrous Leicester esque season, sixth in the league after a third of the season is the realistic peak for Wolves.

I understand we were poor yesterday and that we were lucky to escape without defeat. I also understand that we are setting up quite defensively, and our recent away performances have been really bad. I also don't really understand how we are 6th(!) But 6th we are - on merit.

I don't think we will finish there - I'll be very happy with a top half finish, which I suspect we might just miss out on. But those peddling the narrative of 'disgrace' etc need - in my humble opinion - a healthy dose of perspective.

If you can't enjoy football as a Wolves fan when we are the 6th best team in the country, you're never ever going to enjoy it!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more!

The truly sad things is that this is most likely as good as it gets. Barring another take over or a ludicrous Leicester esque season, sixth in the league after a third of the season is the realistic peak for Wolves.

I understand we were poor yesterday and that we were lucky to escape without defeat. I also understand that we are setting up quite defensively, and our recent away performances have been really bad. I also don't really understand how we are 6th(!) But 6th we are - on merit.

I don't think we will finish there - I'll be very happy with a top half finish, which I suspect we might just miss out on. But those peddling the narrative of 'disgrace' etc need - in my humble opinion - a healthy dose of perspective.

If you can't enjoy football as a Wolves fan when we are the 6th best team in the country, you're never ever going to enjoy it!
This isn't the point though.

I think the vast majority would agree that 6th is as good as it gets for us, that's fine.

However, like you, I also think most agree that top-half is more realistic and many expect a finish between 8th-14th I would suspect.

So, if that's the case, then why should we be happy about that when we're achieving the results like this?

Nuno was sacked after a 13th place finish. Does that position in the Premier League in one season after two successive 7th placed finishes warrant the sacking? Never in a million years.

Therefore, it's fair to say he was sacked because of the performances. So, we have an expectancy to play differently, meaning that if we do come 8th-14th or whatever, we do it with a bit more attacking intent.

Battling to an underserved point at Norwich, getting outplayed by Palace and generally grinding our way to most of the points we've picked up this season is that good enough?

It wasn't enough to prevent Fosun sacking the most successful manager in our recent history, so that's where the bar is set.

In my opinion, I'd take any sort of football if it meant we finished in Europe. If we fall short of that, which, like you I think we will, then I would rather see a Wolves team that plays with more intensity and an attacking approach because I think these players should be capable of doing that and ensuring they aren't dragged into a relegation fight in the process.

Gasman

Reaction score
This is how Chelsea’s 343 works. But then they have better WB.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This isn't the point though.

I think the vast majority would agree that 6th is as good as it gets for us, that's fine.

However, like you, I also think most agree that top-half is more realistic and many expect a finish between 8th-14th I would suspect.

So, if that's the case, then why should we be happy about that when we're achieving the results like this?

Nuno was sacked after a 13th place finish. Does that position in the Premier League in one season after two successive 7th placed finishes warrant the sacking? Never in a million years.

Therefore, it's fair to say he was sacked because of the performances. So, we have an expectancy to play differently, meaning that if we do come 8th-14th or whatever, we do it with a bit more attacking intent.

Battling to an underserved point at Norwich, getting outplayed by Palace and generally grinding our way to most of the points we've picked up this season is that good enough?

It wasn't enough to prevent Fosun sacking the most successful manager in our recent history, so that's where the bar is set.

In my opinion, I'd take any sort of football if it meant we finished in Europe. If we fall short of that, which, like you I think we will, then I would rather see a Wolves team that plays with more intensity and an attacking approach because I think these players should be capable of doing that and ensuring they aren't dragged into a relegation fight in the process.
Like you - I'm all about results. Results dictate that we will finish top half at present. Until they change - I'll be delighted.

Agree with the bar being very high. If you sack Nuno after 13th, we simply have to do better

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Midfield is the problem as always.....Jeffff!!!

Back
Top Bottom