Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle verdict

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa - 5 - Stupid rushing out like that for the pen, third time this season.
Jonny - 6 - Ok defensively, terrible going forward.
Marcal - 6 - As above.
Kilman - 6 - Terrible first half, kept misplacing passes.
Coady - 6 - Did ok.
Boly - 6 - Did ok.
Moutinho - 5 - Struggled basically in a 1 man midfield.
Cundle - 4 - Feel for the lad, not a PL player yet.
Trincao - 1 - Competely anonymous.
Hwang - 2 - Slightly less anonymous.
Fabio - 4 - Offered pretty much nothing until his shot at the end.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** else was he meant to do?
Get in and around the box, hustle the defence but ultimately get into positions to hurt the opposition and when you finally do take the chance. He fails on many levels. He's lovely footballer just never a striker

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I genuinely feel sorry for Silva .He never hides and the longer he goes without scoring the more the pressure ramps up .
Trincao and Hwang were pathetic .Weak feeble challenges,no ball retention ,zero strength or application.
Time to end the sentimentality ,spend proper money and bring in players with heart,skill and bloody physicality .
I am sick of these non turning up performances where we try to sit in and when the opposition score then what ?

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
First half was as bad as the Brentford debacle. Manager got it wrong by way of selection. First game I've missed this season. I feel for the hardy souls who made the trip. Take out Neves & Jimenez and we are bang average.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get in and around the box, hustle the defence but ultimately get into positions to hurt the opposition and when you finally do take the chance. He fails on many levels. He's lovely footballer just never a striker

Fabio would have been offside if he'd been in and around the box. We hardly got anywhere near that part of the pitch.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

First half was as bad as the Brentford debacle. Manager got it wrong by way of selection. First game I've missed this season. I feel for the hardy souls who made the trip. Take out Neves & Jimenez and we are bang average.
One of our best performances of the season happened last week without either of them. We've had plenty of similar ones with both of them on the pitch.

We just lack athleticism and pace in our play.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fully deserved defeat that.

No desire by most of them - particuarly Trincao whose gotta gew!

No urgency on the ball once again, with too much pussyfooting it from side-to-back and back-to-side.

A dominated Midfield, with Joao doing what he could to contain Newcastle's attacking threat.

A clinically dispatched penalty which was right sadly, but helped through the backline simply freezing to put Wood clean through.

Only one shot on target says what has been said all season; that the forward line simply feel afraid to go for it. Fabio should do better with the header, but his movement on the ball (particuarly the pass in the 1st half) and his strength off it is for all to see.

And no subs until well past 3/4's in makes me want to rip all my hair off (there's plenty of it at the mo!), seeing how sterile it became. I hope Bruno reflects on this as a matter of urgency.

On the one positive - nice to see Chem get his 1st minutes in the Prem and knowing his flare, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the 1st of many.

A season with a chance of massive promise, I conlude will now wither away into missing Europe and collective responsability must be taken for such an outcome.

Here's to Burnley away.

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sa 5
Awful decison to come for the pen. Didn't really have much else to do other than, some of his kicking was dire as well.

Jonny 6
Did ok, ASM did him a few times but always going to and got forward a couple of times.

Kilman 5
Stinker, saved by VAR after goal ruled out and let guys run off him constantly. Looks much better on the right.

Coady 5
Distribution very poor, beat in the air a lot.

Boly 7
Best of the CBs, didn't do much wrong

Marcal 7
Played well, good defensively and put in a brilliant cross that Fabio should have scored.

Moutinho 5
Bossed by Bruno G, rarely passed forwards and dribbled past with ease.

Cundle 5
First half was brutal, as bad as it gets but 2nd half he was ok. Had a big chance to slip Fabio in at the end. Looked better closer to their goal.

Hwang 4
Couple of runs 2nd half were good, but aside from that dire

Fabio 5
Great pass, and a couple of excellent runs. Did ok outside of the box but missed a sitter.

Trincão 3
Disgraceful. Hides constantly, slows down counter attacks because he is glacially slow. Gave the ball away. Was as bad as it gets and not for the first time.

Neto looked sharp when he came on, if he is on at HT we win I think.

Lage didn't really have much choice with the starters (although Jeff tied his hands with midfield) but the lack of subs was inexcusable. Horrific.

Shameful display. To create that little against that Newcastle side is shocking.

If they recruit more players like Bruno then they will be a force though. Absolutely dominated us
Think Cundle needs to play further up the pitch. Alongside Neves with a defensive midfielder he'd be good imo.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes we had a lot of injuries...But...Very poor first half, not much better in the second half. The defence overall was pretty solid but were lucky on the disallowed Newcastle goal in the first half. Up front we offered nothing. Hwang and Trincao very disappointing. Silva as always ran around a lot but generally was dominated with only one good shot on the turn later on. He is a striker and he does not look enough of a threat even if his hold up play is quite good. Far too cautious overall against a team that had just lost three in a row and last time conceded five. Neto even given only 10 minutes immediately added a threat that was missing before.

Neto should have come on at half time along with Chiquinho. Subs in the end made far too late by Lage. Poor management. Ait Nouri should have had at least 30 minutes with his extra attacking quality. Moutinho was neat and tidy but Cundle was always safety first except right at the end when it was all too late. I know he is young but I would like to have seen more flair from him.

Any team would miss Neves, Dendoncker, Jiminez, Semedo etc But this game just showed the weakness of the squad and in particular the lack of grown up midfield and striker options. Our recruitment has been lacking as we know and that is why we will finish 8th at best rather than 6th or 5th. A huge missed opportunity imv. Do the club want to break through? I am not convinced. Lose Neves in the summer and it will be another mid table season next time around.

Overall very disappointing and with Man City, Liverpool and Chesea still to play I can't see us getting more than four more points this season. Deflating.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bottlers. We get near to top 6 and put in a **** show like that. No bravery on the ball nobody wants it nobody wants to take a player on create anything. Trincao has no heart at all he ducks out of challenges loses the ball and doesn’t work to win it back just not good enough. Cundle did his chances little good tonight too negative in the ball always looking for the backwards simple pass. Marcal is another one that annoys me he gets in sone good positions but his final ball is always ****. The lead up to their goal he’s got himself into a great position and puts in a shot ball again seconds later they’ve got their pen. So ducked off tonight I really thought we might get ourselves up there but we just didn’t show up again. I’ll concede Bruno had a lot of players out but his management is leaving a lot to be desired. If he can’t see he needs to change something going in luckily level at HT then he has much to learn. I can’t say I’m that taken with him. We’ve done well points wise but the football in the most part has been boring negative minded grinding out wins.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never

He forgets how to use his legs and the ball is out of play
Last week it wasn’t. Today it was. Yes the striker made it, but Sa swallowed it hook line and sinker. It’s beginning to look like this is Sa’s weak spot. Nobody is perfect, and it seems Sa is prone to coming out hard for the ball and sometimes getting his timing wrong. I like Sa, and he’s a great keeper for our team, but it was a penalty today.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With what support? There's literally nothing for him to work with, he had no chance whatsoever.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I'm going to bed very gutted but relieved I didn't make the journey up there (as I was originally planning to do so)

Plainly speaking, we aren't good enough to qualify for Europe. We've had a very good season but it's the preponderence of performances and results like these that have hamstrung is. Objectively speaking, it's been much better than I anticipated, but I'm very very disappointed tonight.

I also feel like Bruno was atrocious tonight. Not making changes when we were playing like that is very very poor.

We missed Pod so much. Night all.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last week it wasn’t. Today it was. Yes the striker made it, but Sa swallowed it hook line and sinker. It’s beginning to look like this is Sa’s weak spot. Nobody is perfect, and it seems Sa is prone to coming out hard for the ball and sometimes getting his timing wrong. I like Sa, and he’s a great keeper for our team, but it was a penalty today.
Disagree . It’s cheating

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A poor game that was always likely to be decided by a mistake. But Newcastle deserved the win because they actually tried to make things happen, and I dread to think what the score might have been had Saint-Maximin been in better form.

It's the kind of game we might have won 1-0 under Nuno, with a piece of Neto/Traore/Jimenez/Jota brilliance. But that just never looked likely today. Injuries provide some mitigation, but there was enough out there to put in a better performance.

Sa: No player in the Premier League has conceded more penalties this season (3). He's also saved none of the seven he's faced. His handling and shot-stopping was fine tonight, but poor distribution and the rash foul means he was well below average. 4

Jonny:
Neat and tidy and unambitious. 5

Boly:
Did reasonably well. 6

Coady:
Some good clearances early on. His long, raking balls out of defence seem like a thing of the past now. 6

Kilman:
His passing was off and he struggled positionally and in the air. 5

Marcal:
Some good touches going forwards, and one of the few who looked to make things happen. Not always great defensively though. 5

Moutinho:
We probably needed a three-man midfield tonight, and in the first half it looked like Moutinho was trying to be all three. His game suffered as a result but he still offered some of our brightest attacking moments. 6

Cundle:
Not the game for him, at least not as part of a two. Very poor first half but he never hid and improved as the game went on. He'll be all the better for the experience. 5.5

Hwang:
Played conservatively and yet still constantly gave the ball away. Looks completely bereft of confidence. One barnstorming run though he should have passed at the end of it. 4.5

Trincao:
Offered absolutely nothing. He battles hard, but unless defenders go diving in he looks incapable of making anything happen. I wonder what Gibbs-White would have done with the opportunities he's had this season. Between him and Vitinha it feels like we've wasted two seasons developing other sides' players at the expense of our own. 4

Silva:
Anonymous first half but our best player in the second. One of the few who tried to make things happen rather than waiting for a mistake. 6.5

SUBS

Neto:
Improved us no end. Those around him suddenly looked far better for his energy and intent. 7

Campbell:
Neat and tidy but didn't take any risks. N/A

Ait-Nouri:
Didn't see much of the ball. N/A

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He doesn't have to try to avoid Sa, he just carries on running. What has the ball being out of play got to do with anything? Foul is a foul. We once got a pen against Bournemouth after Doherty miss kicked a shot and ball was behind him
he's already lost control of the ball when he deliberately drags his right foot over Sa so it makes no difference to anything; Sa could have stayed on his line and it would have been a goal kick, in my view that makes it not a penalty as Sa's actions have made no material difference to the game

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One of our best performances of the season happened last week without either of them. We've had plenty of similar ones with both of them on the pitch.

We just lack athleticism and pace

We just lack athleticism and pace in our play.
No leaders tonight. Hate to say no passion either. The team was set up wrong imo. The front 3 might of well of stayed on the coach.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

he's already lost control of the ball when he deliberately drags his right foot over Sa so it makes no difference to anything; Sa could have stayed on his line and it would have been a goal kick, in my view that makes it not a penalty as Sa's actions have made no material difference to the game
If Sa is on his line then Wood doesn't try to knock it past him, he hits it. Sa flying off his line changes everything

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With what support? There's literally nothing for him to work with, he had no chance whatsoever.
It's not for everyone to make him effective!! He didn't bring anyone into play either by his woeful play.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes, it was a poor performance against a poor team, but the overreaction here is as bad!

We were without our best player, without the player who normally replaces him (and had a very good game last week), without our main creative threat in Podence. Seeing the teams I did not expect too much. As it turned out we could probably still have taken points of this game but that's more on how bad Newcastle are.

As for individual performances - Hwang irritates me a lot. Either his touch lets him down or he's running into blind alleys. Yes, he had a one decent run but that's nowhere good enough. Trincao - he had a bad game - but at least this guy has got the ability to play in tight spaces and that silky touch, these two alone are some assets. Hwang on the other has only got pace and he usually doesn't know how to use it.

I thought Fabio led the line well, constantly battling with their centre halves, showed some good touches and that pass in the first half was fantastic.

Moutinho tried his best, being virtually alone in midfield for large parts of the game.

Other than that, a below par, subdued performance from everyone, which is disappointing.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Ay? Odd thing to say. He’s won plenty of big games for us.
Standard over reaction in here.

We were **** tonight and got done by another **** penalty, although this time Sa got done by naive decision making and standard 'clever' forward play.

Not sure any player comes out with any credit, Silva and Mouts did their best, not much more to say really. Blame Lage if you want, but when you have to play your only two midfielders and one of them is a kid, and another kid up top, it's a big ask.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yes, it was a poor performance against a poor team, but the overreaction here is as bad!

We were without our best player, without the player who normally replaces him (and had a very good game last week), without our main creative threat. Seeing the teams I did not expect too much. As it turned out we could probably still have taken points of this game but that's more on how bad Newcastle are.

As for individual performances - Hwang irritates me a lot. Either his touch lets him down or he's running into blind alleys. Yes, he had a one decent run but that's nowhere good enough. Trincao - he had a bad game - but at least this guy has got the ability to play in tight spaces and that silky touch, these two alone are some assets. Hwang on the other has only got pace and he usually doesn't know how to use it.

I thought Fabio led the line well, constantly battling with their centre halves, showed some good touches and that pass in the first half was fantastic.

Moutinho tried his best, being virtually alone in midfield for large parts of the game.

Other than that, a below par, subdued performance from everyone, which is disappointing.
What tight spaces did Trincão play in? He was absolutely hopeless. Also going under the radar is how dismal his pass was in the lead up to their goal.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lack of squad depth coming back to bite us. We’re lucky we’ve managed to get so far into the season without our lack of midfield options being exposed before.

If all our players are fully fit and we put out Neves, Jimenez, Neto and Podence we win that game more often than not. Cundle, Trincao, Silva and Hwang is significantly weaker.

Feared the worst when I saw the team sheet as I did against Palace at home. Both times, the starting seemed lightweight and lacking in goal threat and so it proved.

Reading between the lines, I think Bruno is getting frustrated by the constraints he’s operating under too.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No mate not at all. Hes a talent and a lovely footballer, just not a lead the line striker. We've had nearly 2 seasons to see this and I'm sure you can too. Hes a deep lying forward not a striker

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa keep
Boly keep
Kilman keep
Jonny keep
Coady out the gap
Marcal out the gap

Candle loan
Mouts new contract

Hwang out the gap and never come back
Trincao out the gap never come back

Fabio keep **** me he tried

There’s a lot of dead wood that needs binning and the lack of dept in midfield was a major factor tonight but fosun new better. Same against villa as soon as podence went off we went to **** I don’t know who to blame but I don’t think Bruno should be the one tbf

Back
Top Bottom