Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Moutinho

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I expect you’ve got 100 caps for Portugal too then eh?
The next forward pass is often from Coady to the wingbacks or wide forwards.

Almost like a pattern.

But no I bet Moutinho is going against Nuno’s wishes and doing the opposite of what Nuno says. Must be why he keeps getting picked.

How many times did he pass forward while we had even numbers? I suspect very few. Yes they may have gone out to the the wings, but not offensively.

As a senior member of the team, and having had a big talk this week. You would have hoped that he more than anyone could have seen our deficiencies, and therefore tried to get us on the front foot more. But he doesn't.

I'm absolutely not a pant wetter, but I am a realist. I'd seriously start Vitinha over him.

Reason why? Our defence looks shot. So Id prefer Vintinha to give us a chance of winning than Moutinho to try and keep a clean sheet.

CrazyCrane

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm just adding some perspective on here. Nothings changed for me re: Moutinho. He got a great goal. Shame we've had to wait 15 months. He did nothing 1st half and was ok 2nd half v 9 men. Look what Utd did tonight v 10 men - we made virtually no chances in that 2nd half v 9 men! Our goals tonight were from a pen and a touch of brilliance; again no goal from open play. Pleased we won but let's get real here.
The perspective is if we hadn't gone 9 or whatever games without a win we may have gone on to get another couple but we put in a professional performance to get 3 points. Heaven help us if we'd have gone gung ho and got caught on the break. The way you go on all the time you should know about confidence in football, with 30 odd points under our belt it's a different story, as it is and how it's been let's just get 12 more points by hook or by crook. Man U we ain't!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His job is and has always been to find a bit of space in the middle, pop off little passes, one-twos and create space for other team mates and openings we can exploit. He's the orchestrator. He's not been doing it because he's struggling to make that space for himself now. Tonight against ten men he was afforded it

I've not suggested he should be playing as or like an attacking midfielder, but if you want to watch some of his games in 18/19 compared to now you will see a marked difference, and you will see him prompting the attacks and working our positions, not endlessly recycling the ball to Coady and Neves
For me it's about moving the opposition players around with the passes he is making to make the spaces further forward. Recently I feel he is playing within himself a little. Taking the safe option one too many times. Great to see him hit that one and it to go into the top corner.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You said his job is to ‘prompt things going forward’ I said his job is to give it wide or give it to Nebes / Coady for a long pass.
The people who ‘prompt things going forward’ are Neto, Podence, Traore, Semedo, Ait-Nouri etc. Joao’s job is to keep moving the ball until he can find one or give it to Coady/Neves so they can switch play.
Out formation is a horseshoe where we concede the centre. Joao’s job is to roll the ball back around the horseshoe.
But I agree 100% he isn’t as mobile and he misses tacked he used to make. So maybe we shouldn’t isolate him in a two with an equally immobile partner.
To prompt means to start, you do understand that? Who gives the ball to those people in attacking positions?? They are the people who prompt the attacks. Neves prompted the move for the penalty today with a great ball in to Podence. That's what Moutinho USED to do, and he hasn't done this season except for our opening goal at Sheff Utd off the top of my head. His job has never been just to keep the ball

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly thought Mouts could not pass that far never mind score a ‘Worldie’ from 30 yards!

Great, great strike, and yes, 2 midfield players scored both goals. When was the last time that happened?

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I must have read them all.
Its embarrassing.
Maybe that’s an issue then? If you advocate dropping a player that scores us winning goals.. perhaps you should self reflect and offer less advice about the team?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me it's about moving the opposition players around with the passes he is making to make the spaces further forward. Recently I feel he is playing within himself a little. Taking the safe option one too many times. Great to see him hit that one and it to go into the top corner.
Yeah that's what it is, he was dictating the play, moving teams around helping us get overloads and then we'd get the ball over to where we'd pulled them out of position. This season everything has become way too safe with him

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His class isnt in doubt and I dont think many have said this. What can be in doubt is his engine and he has been way below par this season. Very telling that there are a few on here who cant wait to rush on here and slate other posters if a player has a good game who they have been concerned with. Why? We all have opinions. Why the desperation to belittle and point score?

He did well, particularly in the second half tonight and scored a brilliant goal. To me he is fine as part of the squad but shouldnt be starting every game. His form and age dictate that this should be the case from now in my opinion and would be fairer on him.

I admit I didnt think he should have started tonight but this is born out of months of poor form and him looking leggy not because I have any sort of grudge against someone who has been a very fine player for us the past few seasons.

Saddens me to see some of the posts tonight by some posters who cant wait to point score on here and put other posters down. I knew it would be the case though. Fair play to Moutinho though. A good second half performance and great goal but my point still stands that he shouldnt be starting every game now and used my sparingly. That way we will get the best out of him more regularly in my opinion.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To prompt means to start, you do understand that? Who gives the ball to those people in attacking positions?? They are the people who prompt the attacks. Neves prompted the move for the penalty today with a great ball in to Podence. That's what Moutinho USED to do, and he hasn't done this season except for our opening goal at Sheff Utd off the top of my head. His job has never been just to keep the ball
By your rationale does that mean Rui prompts most of our attacks? Against Palace Moutinho had 95% pass completion, who do you think he was passing to, Nuno? Jeff? We have 4 forwards, you really think they all have to wait for a final ball from Moutinho? You think that’s Nuno’s plan?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I think that confidence was at least in part to do with that...
I mean at this point he is just a level above as well, he is physically dominant with a great touch and range of passing. We couldn’t press him because he dribbles so well and his long range passing ripped apart Kilman down our left.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His class isnt in doubt and I dont think many have said this. What can be in doubt is his engine and he has been way below par this season. Very telling that there are a few on here who cant wait to rush on here and slate other posters if a player has a good game who they have been concerned with. Why? We all have opinions. Why the desperation to belittle and point score?

He did well, particularly in the second half tonight and scored a brilliant goal. To me he is fine as part of the squad but shouldnt be starting every game. His form and age dictate that this should be the case from now in my opinion and would be fairer on him.

I admit I didnt think he should have started tonight but this is born out of months of poor form and him looking leggy not because I have any sort of grudge against someone who has been a very fine player for us the past few seasons.

Saddens me to see some of the posts tonight by some posters who cant wait to point score on here and put other posters down. I knew it would be the case though. Fair play to Moutinho though. A good second half performance and great goal but my point still stands that he shouldnt be starting every game now and used my sparingly. That way we will get the best out of him more regularly in my opinion.
Possibly a reaction to the over the too slating of said player game after game? (Not by you I hasten to add).

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly thought Mouts could not pass that far never mind score a ‘Worldie’ from 30 yards!

Great, great strike, and yes, 2 midfield players scored both goals. When was the last time that happened?

And equally important, how long do we have to wait till the next time either of them scores? :)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do pick on Moutinho as the problem and not eg. coady, Traore, Podence who were all much worse?
Why pick on anyone, particularly after we just beat one of the form teams on the League and presumably got one hell of a confidence boost?

Four points out of Arsenal and Chelsea in the last three games doesn't look at all bad...

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Possibly a reaction to the over the too slating of said player game after game? (Not by you I hasten to add).

Could be. I admit I thought he should have been dropped today and I still dont think he should be playing every game. Fair play to him today though, Brilliant goal and very good second half performance in particular.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Despite the euphoria surrounding tonight's "worldie" (as people like to call "cracking goals" now) I do think he's struggling these days. The legs haven't fully gone but he's certainly off the pace and prone to committing fouls now, where in the past they were those wonderful tackles to regain possession. I do think Vitinha showed enough tonight to warrant a start against the Foxes, in place of 5 foot 7 of football heaven.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean at this point he is just a level above as well, he is physically dominant with a great touch and range of passing. We couldn’t press him because he dribbles so well and his long range passing ripped apart Kilman down our left.
That's what the big fees get you...

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is what you call a goal celebration!!!

Attachments

• EtPqGNIXEAMpb0P.jpeg
    EtPqGNIXEAMpb0P.jpeg
    421.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Despite the euphoria surrounding tonight's "worldie" (as people like to call "cracking goals" now) I do think he's struggling these days. The legs haven't fully gone but he's certainly off the pace and prone to committing fouls now, where in the past they were those wonderful tackles to regain possession. I do think Vitinha showed enough tonight to warrant a start against the Foxes, in place of 5 foot 7 of football heaven.
Don't think Vitinha has shown an ability to play centre mid at all. Has done his better work as one of the attackers

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By your rationale does that mean Rui prompts most of our attacks? Against Palace Moutinho had 95% pass completion, who do you think he was passing to, Nuno? Jeff? We have 4 forwards, you really think they all have to wait for a final ball from Moutinho? You think that’s Nuno’s plan?
No, you clearly don't grasp what I'm saying. The five players you listed that you said prompted the attacks, I'm talking about the people who get the ball to those players in dangerous positions, THEY'RE the ones who 'prompt' the attacks. Moutinho was a genius at it in his first season, making space, moving into space, pulling teams around and getting the ball to someone in a dangerous position. It has completely dried up and he's not doing it anymore. Saturday was as clear a case in point as you will ever see, 95% pass completion but nothing remotely creative or risky. It was always playing safe.

As I said, watch a game or two from 18/19, you'll notice how much he has been in his shell this season compared to the previous two

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, you clearly don't grasp what I'm saying. The five players you listed that you said prompted the attacks, I'm talking about the people who get the ball to those players in dangerous positions, THEY'RE the ones who 'prompt' the attacks. Moutinho was a genius at it in his first season, making space, moving into space, pulling teams around and getting the ball to someone in a dangerous position. It has completely dried up and he's not doing it anymore. Saturday was as clear a case in point as you will ever see, 95% pass completion but nothing remotely creative or risky. It was always playing safe.

As I said, watch a game or two from 18/19, you'll notice how much he has been in his shell this season compared to the previous two
No, no you’re saying that Joao despite pass completions in the high 90’s percentage wise only ever passes to people who ‘don’t count’ attack wise or to attackers without prompting attacks.
Either way I disagree.
mid he playing as well as he did 18/19 clearly not, but who is?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, no you’re saying that Joao despite pass completions in the high 90’s percentage wise only ever passes to people who ‘don’t count’ attack wise or to attackers without prompting attacks.
Either way I disagree.
mid he playing as well as he did 18/19 clearly not, but who is?
I'm saying he's turning away from the more creative options to play it safe. On Saturday he had so many chances to play to players in space but always turned them down. When Nuno was going on about not taking the risks and not being quick enough, Moutinho was the biggest culprit. He's a central midfielder but he's a creative one, he always has been, that creativity hasn't been evident this season.

See my post in the "Moutinho should retire thread"

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with his stamina
I’d say he covers as much ground as anyone
You are right, it's probably more accurately pace l should have said (although he does run out of steam at about the 75min mark). I still want Mouts, one of the best players l've seen in a Wolves shirt in over 40 years, around, not least to mentor and develop the youngsters, but l'm just not convinced that he is up to, or indeed that it's fair on him to expect him to, playing 90mins twice a week anymore.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why hasn’t moutinho scored more, he needs to shoot more.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's no getting away from the fact that he's struggled this season, including the first half yesterday. I wonder if the problem is he's still expected to do the harrying and chasing, given we only really have 2 in midfield? At his age, that's probably not the best use of his undoubted abilities. Perhaps with some young legs in midfield, alongside Joao and Neves, to do the dirty work, we can get another decent season out of Joao, especially as he'll have a proper rest and a pre-season in between 20/21 and 21/22. Maybe one of Podence or Traore needs to be sacrificed for those extra legs in midfield. Probably being a wee bit sentimental, as I'd like Joao to finish on a high.

Back
Top Bottom