Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Moutinho

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s far from garbage.

The first half hour Moutinho and the whole team were all over the place. He was being danced past for fun and was booked.

We got the luck we needed and it turned the game, and maybe our season, upside down.

He had a fantastic second half, slightly more advanced and his goal was a worldie. Absolutely delighted with it and to see that passion, from a player that has done it all, was amazing to see.

Confidence is everything, even to a player like Moutinho. Hopefully this gets him back to his best.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Super strike and I'm really happy for Joao as he has been of the best players I've seen in a Wolves shirt especially in person , But I'll be 'that guy' and say before the goal I thought he was really poor (sorry).

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s far from garbage.

The first half hour Moutinho and the whole team were all over the place. He was being danced past for fun and was booked.

We got the luck we needed and it turned the game, and maybe our season, upside down.

He had a fantastic second half, slightly more advanced and his goal was a worldie. Absolutely delighted with it and to see that passion, from a player that has done it all, was amazing to see.

Confidence is everything, even to a player like Moutinho. Hopefully this gets him back to his best.
The quote I was responding to was ‘he was extremely poor’ first half. No he wasn’t. Did we play poorly as a team, yes for large parts, but we also equalised and I don’t think Moutinho was particularly bad. Certainly not as bad as Semedo, Neves and Coady’s defending or Traore’s and Podence’s utter absence.

People persist in calling out Moutinho for being overrun when he’s one of two DMs usually outnumbered in a system where he’s not meant to attack.

People have a fundamental misunderstanding of what we ask our CM to do in our system and get mad that he isn’t charging forward and shooting. That’s Nuno’s fault not Moutinho’s. He would be much better off either with a mobile DM partner or in a 3 with licence to play higher up. I think he does well considering the ridiculous way our system abuses him and Neves.

However we can agree 2nd half he was excellent and scored a world class goal.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You guys just can't help yourselves can you?
Bet you moaned at Christmas when your Mom and Dad didn't get you all the presents you wanted.
Sooner schools are opened again the better
All the ****ing hindsight merchants turn out. One goal. Totally insignificant first half. Came into his own v 9 men. I suggest you read all the numerous threads on here over the past 3-4 weeks demanding he be dropped. Nothings changed for me.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
****in hell we won the 1st thing you do is criticise, you really should go and follow someone else , this cant be good for your health
Here we go again. The orthodoxy on here now is to say he's great. No he's not. Great goal tonight but playing against 9 men. V 11 we'd have been stuffed. Get real.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All the ****ing hindsight merchants turn out. One goal. Totally insignificant first half. Came into his own v 9 men. I suggest you read all the numerous threads on here over the past 3-4 weeks demanding he be dropped. Nothings changed for me.
I’m not a hindsight merchant. I’ve defending him all the way through.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Almost like his job is to recycle the ball and keep possession in our system.

Thats fine, but he barely ever tries it. Once we've broken the opposition lines we need someone with the vision to make the next forward pass. Literally anyone with two legs can pass backwards

bully9

Reaction score
Here we go again. The orthodoxy on here now is to say he's great. No he's not. Great goal tonight but playing against 9 men. V 11 we'd have been stuffed. Get real.
where did i say he was great, we won , he scored a good goal , ENJOY the result for the night, go to bed knowing the team you follow are further away from the drop than yday . Why oh why do you have to be so bloody negative , almost every post you make

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Almost like his job is to recycle the ball and keep possession in our system.
His job is to prompt things going forward and he's been awful at it for a while, he was awful at it tonight until he was playing against ten men. Brilliant hit for the goal, and played well in the second half making use of the extra time and space but the Moutinho who could grab the game by the scruff of the neck appears to have fallen victim to Old Father Time.

As I said in the comms thread at half time, I'd have had him off if it wasn't for the fact Arsenal had just gone down to ten because it might have allowed him to do what he does for Portugal - which it did and he could orchestrate things. But let's not pretend he was anything other than a bystander for the first half.

It might give him a new lease of life, never know, but to continue to be a regular starter he needs one, because he's lost that incisiveness

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats fine, but he barely ever tries it. Once we've broken the opposition lines we need someone with the vision to make the next forward pass. Literally anyone with two legs can pass backwards
I expect you’ve got 100 caps for Portugal too then eh?
The next forward pass is often from Coady to the wingbacks or wide forwards.

Almost like a pattern.

But no I bet Moutinho is going against Nuno’s wishes and doing the opposite of what Nuno says. Must be why he keeps getting picked.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His job is to prompt things going forward and he's been awful at it for a while, he was awful at it tonight until he was playing against ten men. Brilliant hit for the goal, and played well in the second half making use of the extra time and space but the Moutinho who could grab the game by the scruff of the neck appears to have fallen victim to Old Father Time.

As I said in the comms thread at half time, I'd have had him off if it wasn't for the fact Arsenal had just gone down to ten because it might have allowed him to do what he does for Portugal - which it did and he could orchestrate things. But let's not pretend he was anything other than a bystander for the first half.

It might give him a new lease of life, never know, but to continue to be a regular starter he needs one, because he's lost that incisiveness
Your first line - no it isn’t. It really isn’t.

You could argue that it should be and I’d agree with you. But in our current system it isn’t. His job is to recycle the ball wide or back to Neves or Coady to switch play and most of all retain possesion.
Why people insist on thinking he should play like an AM is beyond me.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will stick my head above the parapet and agree in general. Great goal, but we absolutely stole the points tonight. All could haves and would haves, but against 11 we were being given a lesson again.
Of course I will take the win, and I hope we build from it, but it was lucky that fell for us tonight.
Mouts is still a good player, but should be being played with more caution rather than being beasted every game. Not fair to the team or to him.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will stick my head above the parapet and agree in general. Great goal, but we absolutely stole the points tonight. All could haves and would haves, but against 11 we were being given a lesson again.
Of course I will take the win, and I hope we build from it, but it was lucky that fell for us tonight.
Mouts is still a good player, but should be being played with more caution rather than being beasted every game. Not fair to the team or to him.
Fair

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whether you rate a player or don’t you’re surely happy when they do well for us (example Old Gold above - fair play to him, don’t have to go all happy flappy about it but clearly wants the best for Wolves).
But some people on here seem to want certain players to fail, Moutinho, Traore, Jota etc... it’s like they want them to fail so they can revel in their miserable alleged superiority. They actually seem annoyed if they play well.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the rest of our team were as disciplined at doing their job to the best of their personal ability, then we would be fighting for champions league places.

no doubt his legs are going. No doubt he isn’t a ball carrier.. but an ultimate professional, a born winner and a class act from the day he landed.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
where did i say he was great, we won , he scored a good goal , ENJOY the result for the night, go to bed knowing the team you follow are further away from the drop than yday . Why oh why do you have to be so bloody negative , almost every post you make
I'm just adding some perspective on here. Nothings changed for me re: Moutinho. He got a great goal. Shame we've had to wait 15 months. He did nothing 1st half and was ok 2nd half v 9 men. Look what Utd did tonight v 10 men - we made virtually no chances in that 2nd half v 9 men! Our goals tonight were from a pen and a touch of brilliance; again no goal from open play. Pleased we won but let's get real here.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your first line - no it isn’t. It really isn’t.

You could argue that it should be and I’d agree with you. But in our current system it isn’t. His job is to recycle the ball wide or back to Neves or Coady to switch play and most of all retain possesion.
Why people insist on thinking he should play like an AM is beyond me.
His job is and has always been to find a bit of space in the middle, pop off little passes, one-twos and create space for other team mates and openings we can exploit. He's the orchestrator. He's not been doing it because he's struggling to make that space for himself now. Tonight against ten men he was afforded it

I've not suggested he should be playing as or like an attacking midfielder, but if you want to watch some of his games in 18/19 compared to now you will see a marked difference, and you will see him prompting the attacks and working our positions, not endlessly recycling the ball to Coady and Neves

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe I owe him a bit of an apology, but I stand by the fact I think he would be best coming of the bench to help us when legs are tiring.

Wonderful goal tonight though, goal of the season for us already I’d say

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Maybe I owe him a bit of an apology, but I stand by the fact I think he would be best coming of the bench to help us when legs are tiring.

Wonderful goal tonight though, goal of the season for us already I’d say
I agree the 2nd sending obviously allowed for more time on the ball.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My POTS from the 2018-19 season, but he's been a shadow of himself this season and after the first 30 minutes he would have been my first sub.

Hope that helps him rediscover his form because the pressure is really on him, Neves and Donck to deliver.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His job is and has always been to find a bit of space in the middle, pop off little passes, one-twos and create space for other team mates and openings we can exploit. He's the orchestrator. He's not been doing it because he's struggling to make that space for himself now. Tonight against ten men he was afforded it

I've not suggested he should be playing as or like an attacking midfielder, but if you want to watch some of his games in 18/19 compared to now you will see a marked difference, and you will see him
You said his job is to ‘prompt things going forward’ I said his job is to give it wide or give it to Nebes / Coady for a long pass.
The people who ‘prompt things going forward’ are Neto, Podence, Traore, Semedo, Ait-Nouri etc. Joao’s job is to keep moving the ball until he can find one or give it to Coady/Neves so they can switch play.
Out formation is a horseshoe where we concede the centre. Joao’s job is to roll the ball back around the horseshoe.
But I agree 100% he isn’t as mobile and he misses tacked he used to make. So maybe we shouldn’t isolate him in a two with an equally immobile partner.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I must have read them all.
Its embarrassing.

Back
Top Bottom