Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Most Exciting Wolves Player You've Seen

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peter Knowles, nobody since him has been better, in fact not really close.

bcf6d03f04c742d6b7043f85d223efeb.jpg

I got 10,000 lines and the cane at school for putting several pictures of Peter up in the hall over the top of the list of notable pupils.
Totally agree. Sensational when playing and infuriating on occasions. Good human being post football

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Totally agree. Sensational when playing and infuriating on occasions. Good human being post football

Was he all there upstairs?

He believed he was here to spread the word of God, but abandoned his God given talent in the process

D

Deleted member 4594

Robbie Keanes debut at Norwich was incredible but Iv honestly never been as excited about a new signings first game than when I saw Silas in a pre season game at Coventry. Genuinely unplayable that day!

D

Deleted member 4594

He believed he was here to spread the word of God, but abandoned his God given talent in the process
Way before my time but Iv heard loads about Peter Knowles. Saw him about 12 months ago looking fit and healthy.

Personally got no time for religion in any form, but admire him for sticking to his beliefs. By all accounts he’s had a really happy life, you can’t get any more successful than that in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In his post football life I would say yes. By chance played badminton against him years later and we was very self effacing. A friend of mine knew him well and spoke very highly of him. In his football years I gather he was something of a tit and by his own admission he was embarrassed by what he became in those days.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peter Knowles, nobody since him has been better, in fact not really close.

bcf6d03f04c742d6b7043f85d223efeb.jpg

I got 10,000 lines and the cane at school for putting several pictures of Peter up in the hall over the top of the list of notable pupils.
I saw him a few times but was only a nipper so cannot remember in great detail, I was gutted when he left to join the God-squad though..

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has to be Bully for me. The whole ground buzzed as soon as he got the ball.

R

reanswolf

Bully, King John Richards, King Kenny Hibbitt, Waggy, and then you have to say several of the current squad - Neves, Jota, Boly, Coady, Moutinho. All absolutely top notch.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peter Knowles, without a doubt.

Dave Wagstaffe, without another doubt.

You never knew what PK was going to do when he got the ball, not even his own players sometimes.

The one abiding memory I have of Peter that epitomised the blend of incredible skill and sheer impudency that he possessed was a home match against Newcastle United in the late 60s..... (I’ve recounted this on MM before, no apologies for repeating it!):-
Racing clear from about the half way line, avoiding Newcastle’s “offside trap”, he approached the edge of the penalty area, at the North Bank end, with just their keeper to beat.
What he did next just stunned me.
Instead of picking his spot and shooting, he stopped. He turned around with his back to the goal, flicked the ball up into the air and scored with an overhead kick!! :confused::eek::cool:
Jota is the only forward IMO so far that has come anywhere near to Peter Knowles in terms of that sort of “impishness” and confidence in their own ability.

My favourite memory of Waggy was against Chelsea at home (late 60s?/early 70s):-
He picked the ball up in the right back position (!! -he was predominantly an out-and-out attacking left winger with a wand of a left peg), dribbled past several players all the way up the RIGHT wing, cut inside onto his left at the edge of the penalty area and then smashed a shot into the net off the underside of the bar!!
We won 3-0, IIRC.
Those were the days, my friend :cool:

But I have a strong feeling that those days are about to return soon.........:)

I was there when PK did that. Which is one reason why PK is still the most exciting Wolves player I have seen. There's some that have excited but none had the impudence, confidence and footballing beauty he possessed. If he had tried to combine a football career with his beliefs I think the football part would lose something. It was the 'devil' in him when he played that resulted in such moments.

There's been better all round players and many who have served the club better but this is about 'most exciting' and have still to see a player in a Wolves shirt do what he did. The nearest recently was 'that' Neves goal in the championship.

It's a great pity that when he was around the recording of games was limited meaning there's nothing to see of him in any quantity.

Last edited:

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He is actually quoted as saying something along the lines was the waste was that he discovered football in the first place.
But then...I don't understand the fuss about religion...

B

Benson

Traore in our current squad.
Kightly from some years back.

Special mention for a nice try: Stearman (before that sniper got him)

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peter Knowles. Gods footballer was a quite amazing talent. Maybe not as good as George Best, but believe me he was a superb player who could only have got better.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bully was my hero, but I did like Denison, knightly, and Jarvis for excitement. Now I think my favourite is Jota for excitement (but I think Neves is a class player)

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
David Wagstaffe receiving the ball ..... it was like an electric current going around the ground ... something fairly magical was about to happen !!

He was magic you know :)

Waggy was indeed a superb player. I think it was the the Doog who said that when Waggy crossed the ball he knew it was going to land on his head.

Lawndog

Reaction score
Steve Kindon. When on form had the ability to cut thru any defence

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knowles for sure. I count myself lucky to have watched him in those few years he played for us. Having said that this current team has a few contenders. Crazy and exciting times :cool:

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Thought it was going to be Paul “bubbles” Butler after that game against Charlton. Never seen the like. Thought he’d save us single handily, wasn’t to be, guess you had to be there that night.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm another old fart that would pick Waggy, definitely got a buzz going when on the ball. Bully after that, down to him and the style of football then, if Bully was on the ball you'd know there was gunna be a shot on goal and often a good one. Keane was great when he broke into the team, no fear and full of tricks. Jota is very much a continuation of those guys......I'm lucky enough to have seen them all.
Unfortunately never saw Knowles, retired just before I started going regularly

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm another old fart that would pick Waggy, definitely got a buzz going when on the ball. Bully after that, down to him and the style of football then, if Bully was on the ball you'd know there was gunna be a shot on goal and often a good one. Keane was great when he broke into the team, no fear and full of tricks. Jota is very much a continuation of those guys......I'm lucky enough to have seen them all.
Unfortunately never saw Knowles, retired just before I started going regularly
You missed a treat. But there are several highlights on YouTube including extended highlights v Portsmouth (?) where Knowles plays very well

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There have been several Best Player type threads on Molmix, which have made for good reading/debate, but what about most exciting player?

Jota must be up there I guess but I would also propose Peter Knowles and Dave Wagstaff, who both had the ability to get fans on their feet whenever they had the ball.

Other suggestions?
Without question the incomparable Peter Knowles for me followed by Waggy.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My fave has to be bully but Diogo excites me when he's off on a run. A terrific talent.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
"Buzz around the ground when he got the ball" is the key theme here.

I've never seen that happen, but I hope we will see a player soon that has the crackle to do it. Neves has the potential.

Bully was of a different time, worthy but different.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Jordan Graham was going to be the dogs undercarriage !

His star was definitely rising until that injury v Cardiff at Molineux.... on one of the most depressing days during the Jackett era!!

His career seemed to lose all of its momentum thereafter.

He was good but not in the Waggy or Knocker’s class

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Briefly, very briefly, Alun Evans, until an ill judged move to Liverpool when he was far too young (and later the awful attack on him which seemed to hamper his career, sadly). Not many will have seen him play.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another memory of PK (and Wagstaffe and Dougan)

After promotion back to Div 1 the season 1967/8 and 1968/9 were two of the most exciting I recall. Not because we did much, only finishing in the bottom half of the table and often getting well beaten but often handing out a few slappings as well as the tighter games.

I don't remember the opposition but I clearly remember one typical bit of PK brilliance (along with Dougan and Wagstaffe who both played their part in this goal), Wagstaffe received the ball on the left touchline inside the Wolves half and took it to the half way line. I was in the North Bank which was the way we were attacking. I watched as Dougan made a dummy run to the right (left as I looked)and PK running into space on the left just outside the box. I watched as PK (with defender trying to get back to him) signaled to Wagstaffe where to put the ball which wagstaffe duly obliged from 40yds for PK to run on to. It was a magnificent long pass and I watched as PK had quick look to where the keeper was- and who had come some way off his line anticipating PK run. Instead PK checked and jumped to meet the ball perfectly and powered it over the keeper and into the net form the edge of the box. One of the best headed goals I can recall seeing.

In those two seasons Dougan, Wagstaffe and Knowles were often unplayable. The problem was other areas of the side still needed an upgrade.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O.K. if you must
Petet Broadbent by a country mile

Certainly a contender but for me although seeing him it was at the end of his career and don't recall well having done so. PK is on record as saying he used to watch him training from the South Bank when he was an apprentice and thinking how he used to 'glide' over the pitch with the ball. Obviously a big influence on the young PK although Broadbent didn't have that 'devil' PK had which probably made the former a better all round better player for the long term. PK was a one off though that's beyond doubt.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I got very excited when Darren Ferguson joined from Man U.

It soon passed.

Back
Top Bottom