Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Most Exciting Wolves Player You've Seen

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There have been several Best Player type threads on Molmix, which have made for good reading/debate, but what about most exciting player?

Jota must be up there I guess but I would also propose Peter Knowles and Dave Wagstaff, who both had the ability to get fans on their feet whenever they had the ball.

Other suggestions?

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Several of the current squad

Going back a bit, Jarvis and Kightly at times. Keane, Bully, Dennison

Not many leap to mind, sadly. Tends to be players who go past others or come up with bits of flair and skill. Until now I've not seen many at Wolves who fit the description

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would go with Traore out the current crop. He runs past players that easily, that quickly he actually makes me laugh.

There is undoubted anticipation and excitement when he gets on the ball from the crowd.

Imagine if he had an end product?

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore at present, if he could just develop his finishing, final ball, he would be class.
He just brushes past people, reminds me of Asprilla from Newcastle, nobody knew what he would do next, including himself.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A nod in the direction of Sako from me, he provided raw excitement in very grim times and had an Exocet launcher of a left foot.

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
I think it's relative to the other players in the team at that time .... even an average current player would look exciting in a team of say 10 years ago.

Overall I'd say Robbie Keane .... we could all see how fresh and different he was to anything else at the time.

From today's squad, there are just so many .... Moutinho .... Neves .... Jota ..... as a former CB myself though I'd have to go for Big Willy Bolly ..... my god that man has got ice running through his veins! We've been lucky to see some top CB's over the years but he's by far the best I've ever seen in a Wolves shirt.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another vote here for adama. As soon as he starts off on a run your on the edge of your seat. I truly believe there is a world class player in there once he has sorted out his last touch.

Fortunately so does Nuno.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota for me

When he starts one of those runs you just know something is going to happen

Villa last season, man u this season as examples

S

Snarlingwolf

Peter Knowles, without a doubt.

Dave Wagstaffe, without another doubt.

You never knew what PK was going to do when he got the ball, not even his own players sometimes.

The one abiding memory I have of Peter that epitomised the blend of incredible skill and sheer impudency that he possessed was a home match against Newcastle United in the late 60s..... (I’ve recounted this on MM before, no apologies for repeating it!):-
Racing clear from about the half way line, avoiding Newcastle’s “offside trap”, he approached the edge of the penalty area, at the North Bank end, with just their keeper to beat.
What he did next just stunned me.
Instead of picking his spot and shooting, he stopped. He turned around with his back to the goal, flicked the ball up into the air and scored with an overhead kick!! :confused::eek::cool:
Jota is the only forward IMO so far that has come anywhere near to Peter Knowles in terms of that sort of “impishness” and confidence in their own ability.

My favourite memory of Waggy was against Chelsea at home (late 60s?/early 70s):-
He picked the ball up in the right back position (!! -he was predominantly an out-and-out attacking left winger with a wand of a left peg), dribbled past several players all the way up the RIGHT wing, cut inside onto his left at the edge of the penalty area and then smashed a shot into the net off the underside of the bar!!
We won 3-0, IIRC.
Those were the days, my friend :cool:

But I have a strong feeling that those days are about to return soon.........:)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Helda Costa during his first championship season. Didn't he score all 6 goals of the season? Went past opponents with ease, time and time again. That run against Liverpool in the FA Cup where he was only a few inches away from the goal of the century. At that point, I thought we had a future Messi. Very sad that it hasn't turned out that way.

sportwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
For me, Jota is the best player to watch at Wolves since Peter Knowles. When he gets the ball on the turn you just know something will happen. One other player who I think deserves a mention is George Ndah who had a 3 month spell where you were just longing for him to get the ball - if only he wasn't so injury prone. All three unplayable on their best days.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Helda Costa during his first championship season. Didn't he score all 6 goals of the season? Went past opponents with ease, time and time again. That run against Liverpool in the FA Cup where he was only a few inches away from the goal of the century. At that point, I thought we had a future Messi. Very sad that it hasn't turned out that way.

Was just about to say the same. That bodyswerve goal against Cardiff was just fantastic. Sold half of the South Bank a dummy.

Traore is hugely exciting when he gets on the ball. His turn of pace and ability to beat players is genuinely breathtaking and worth persevering with.

Honourable mentions for Diogo, Kightly (so direct in those first couple of seasons), Sako (produced moments of brilliance out of nothing) and Cavaleiro.

modenawolf

Reaction score
Diogo and Adama already mentioned of the current side but I love Vinagre too: fast and skillful, whenever he receives the ball you think he can create something.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always found sako could excite and frustrate equally, similar to Adama.

At times he would beat 3 men, then drop the perfect cross, or fire it into the top corner.
At other times, he'd beat the same bloke 16x , in the corner of the northbank/billy wright, then fire his cross into the top of the steve bull.

Last edited:

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never got the love for Sako, man could be as lazy as he could be genius and would do my head in quite a bit.
I would say for raw excitment Keane is top of that list obviously God as well but as Keane was a youngster at the time I was a kid it made you believe you could do it up until the point i got onto the pitch and realised I was rubbish
Soft spot for Ndah and Mo Camara who were pacey as anyone and out this currant crop Costa championship season 1 and Jota

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peter Knowles, nobody since him has been better, in fact not really close.

bcf6d03f04c742d6b7043f85d223efeb.jpg

I got 10,000 lines and the cane at school for putting several pictures of Peter up in the hall over the top of the list of notable pupils.

Last edited:

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore at present, if he could just develop his finishing, final ball, he would be class.
He just brushes past people, reminds me of Asprilla from Newcastle, nobody knew what he would do next, including himself.

That's like saying I've just bought a Fiesta and if it was an Aston Martin it would be fantastic.

Optimistic Hove Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Back in the day I thought Steve Kindon was great when he was running at defenders. Always thought he should have been a prop forward!

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in the day I thought Steve Kindon was great when he was running at defenders. Always thought he should have been a prop forward!

Do you remember when he broke the Doog's cheekbone in the warmup before a match, the Doog was out for 6 weeks. Kindon had the knack of hitting the ball at 100mph even when warming up. He was similar to Traore though hadn't much of a finish although could knock the floodlights off.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peter Knowles, nobody since him has been better, in fact not really close.

bcf6d03f04c742d6b7043f85d223efeb.jpg

I got 10,000 lines and the cane at school for putting several pictures of Peter up in the hall over the top of the list of notable pupils.
Gosh - what a tough Infant School you went to...... Worth it though

Back
Top Bottom