Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan on the managerial search

G

grumpee

Steve Morgan has been in to speak at Wolves Uni this morning, which just so happens to be where I work. Unfortunately I couldn't go as I had a meeting, but a colleague just came in to tell me the interesting bits, which I thought I'd pass on, especially as it came from Morgan himself. (This might be covered in the press or replicated elsewhere, or might be old news. If so, sorry.)

The main thing is on the managerial search/farce. A candidate was interviewed, agreed to the move, agreed to the terms and the contract but then withdrew after 6 days. Morgan wouldn't break confidentiality to name them, but I'd say it's pretty clear it was Curbishley. He and Jez then interviewed a further 7 candidates, but decided that none were up to the job/fitted with "their vision" for Wolves. TC then agreed to step in until the end of the season. Morgan praised him for "turning the dressing room around" (hinting at major divisions under Mick), and also said that he (Morgan) had previously objected to Mick not blooding enough youngsters and that he was pleased to see David Davis making an impact.

My colleague who went is a season ticket holder, as passionate as they come and, like most of us, fairly drained and cynical about the way this season has gone and how the problems have (or haven't) been managed. Still, they said they were impressed overall with Morgan - he spoke for about 2 hours, mostly on the construction industry and his role at Redrow where, apparently after taking control for the second time he sacked all the Board barring one member! Apparently he dealt well with what would've been a fairly icy contingent of Wolves fans in the audience.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Cheers for the info grumpee, several interesting points there.

P

Penk Wolf

I didn't know we'd interviewed 7 people. Can we guess who they were?

Steve Bruce
Alan Curbishley
Neil Warnock
Gary Megson?

I'm stuck after that.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a shame he sacked Alan Bowkett on his return to Redrow as he could of asked for some tips on how to be a successful football chairman.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Steve Bruce
Alan Curbishley
Neil Warnock
Gary Megson?

I'm stuck after that.

cheers for the info grumpee

The only other name I can think to add to that list Penk is Walter Smith perhaps. Other than that I'm pretty stumped.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Lee Clark - ex Huddersfield manager?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why cant he speak to the fans in general? We want to hear your plans Mr Morgan not what happened a few months ago!

Oxford Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Steve Bruce
Alan Curbishley
Neil Warnock
Gary Megson?

I'm stuck after that.

Pretty sure Alan Shearer and Paul Ince were 2 of the 7.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks grumpee. Interesting if not groundbreaking. Good to hear that Morgan is at last talking, but would be better, as someone suggested, putting up a video on World for everyone to see.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Why cant he speak to the fans in general? We want to hear your plans Mr Morgan not what happened a few months ago!

From the WFP notes...

As a result of the season Wolves have had, Mark Cadman said he thought the club's Chairman Steve Morgan should have been present at the meeting. "We've had nothing from him to say what our direction is - and that's poor," he said. Chief Executive Jez Moxey responded: "Some of the things we're being hit on the head by is fans saying Steve said this and that on the pitch in the past and has made broken promises.
As a generic point, we have decided we have to say lessin trying to explain everything. The Chairman will come out and speak once he has anything to say. We have to face what has happened this season but Steve does not make himself readily available and isn't in the media more than four or five times a year. Our fans said (earlier) that was a positive thing."

Everything they say is torn apart and thrown back at them - you can't complain at it bringing this kind of result.

Wolf in Cradley

Groupie
Reaction score
The main thing is on the managerial search/farce. A candidate was interviewed, agreed to the move, agreed to the terms and the contract but then withdrew after 6 days.

This may just be me but this seems a little odd. After agreeing the terms and length of contract with "new manager" it was withdrawn after 6 days!!!! What was the hold up? What else would take this amount of time for the new manager to start work? Would be interesting to no what the hold up was and if it was Wolves that was delaying and that caused the new guy to get fed up of waiting

Freeport wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thanks for the info., I am still hopeful we will get the right manager eventually.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My guess was that the manager in question had a call on his mobile while he was having his medical.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the WFP notes...

Everything they say is torn apart and thrown back at them - you can't complain at it bringing this kind of result.

Mutchy, has there ever been an issue where you haven't towed the clubs line on??

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Mutchy, has there ever been an issue where you haven't towed the clubs line on??

You're far more likely to find I don't comment. This though is just common sense. People seem to want it all ways.

W

Woffles

Equally, every valid concern or thought raised by supporters about the running and future of the club seems to be ignored.

It appears that Jez can blame the fans as often as he likes but despite being CEO, isn't actually responsible in any way for anything that is or may be wrong.

J

Jack Bauer

Shame he's telling people at Wolverhampton Uni more than he's telling his own fans isn't it?

G

grumpee

This may just be me but this seems a little odd. After agreeing the terms and length of contract with "new manager" it was withdrawn after 6 days!!!! What was the hold up? What else would take this amount of time for the new manager to start work? Would be interesting to no what the hold up was and if it was Wolves that was delaying and that caused the new guy to get fed up of waiting

Who knows. Could be something to do with the backroom staff coming in with the new man, or an unwillingness to settle in the area, or something personal that dragged things out on their end. But Morgan stated unequivocally that as far as Wolves were concerned the deal was done; the candidate pulled out.

You've then got the thorny issue of going back to rejected candidates and saying "Oh, actually... we preferred someone else but now we want you." Don't know how you lot feel, but I'd be inclined to tell an employer to stuff it if I felt knocked back and not a preferred choice.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't there some reports at the time that they felt that Steve Bruce had been less than honest wiith them?

T

Tettenhall Wolf

God this club is infuriating. They bring this suspicion on themselves due to the cloak and dagger approach, they really do.

What was mentioned by the OP regarding Mr Morgan's version of events voiced today, sounds plausable.

In summary....

- He wanted to get rid of Mick, Jez and the other board members persuaded him to hold tight.
- He snapped after Liverpool and WBA, then a bit late in the day.
- They immediately went to Curbs, the fans favourite, he originally agreed to come, then there was a 'lost' 6 days waiting for Curbs followed by a backtrack - this does seem extremely odd.
- The rest that followed was all built up in the media and our heads.
- 10 day search, 6 days taken up by Curbs, 4 in interviewing 6 others, then decising to give it to TC.
- Ultimately, even though TC did improve performances, it was a bad call as it was still well below what we needed in upturn.

Still, you can't getaway from the facts that sacking Mick too late and appointing TC were bad decisions.

G

grumpee

Shame he's telling people at Wolverhampton Uni more than he's telling his own fans isn't it?

I realise that's rhetorical, but I should point out that it wasn't the principal reason for the visit. We've got a new VC here who's keen to up the Uni's visibility and is hosting more guest speakers as one way to meet that aim - we've had Steve Cram and David Miliband in recently, Steve Bull last week and Morgan this. Morgan did a presentation about his career and took questions at the end, which is when all the Wolves stuff came up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If it was Curbishley, maybe it was a case of the distance? Sorting out accomodation etc?

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for that report.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm confused by this manager talk. I don't have time to research, but wasn't it the case that Moxey stated that a deal was in place with 'a manager' only for him to decline after having slept on it? So where has this '6 days' come from? And if the rumours coming out at the time are to believed, the club 'moved the goalposts' on the deal that was on the table. Something smells fishy.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Maybe he thinks people at uni are intelligent and will understand what he's saying, and Wolves fans are stupid and will just shout abuse at him.

That's probably what the fat controller advised him.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for the very interesting info - greatly appreciated by me.

SellyWolf

Reaction score
Maybe he thinks people at uni are intelligent and will understand what he's saying, and Wolves fans are stupid and will just shout abuse at him.

That's probably what the fat controller advised him.

This is Wolverhampton Uni though....

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm confused by this manager talk. I don't have time to research, but wasn't it the case that Moxey stated that a deal was in place with 'a manager' only for him to decline after having slept on it? So where has this '6 days' come from? And if the rumours coming out at the time are to believed, the club 'moved the goalposts' on the deal that was on the table. Something smells fishy.

perhaps he slept for 6 days?

F

FLEET WOLF

I realise that's rhetorical, but I should point out that it wasn't the principal reason for the visit. We've got a new VC here who's keen to up the Uni's visibility and is hosting more guest speakers as one way to meet that aim - we've had Steve Cram and David Miliband in recently, Steve Bull last week and Morgan this. Morgan did a presentation about his career and took questions at the end, which is when all the Wolves stuff came up.

What did Bully speak about 'what your average Baggie knows about nuclear physics?'

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the WFP notes...

So it's the fans fault that Morgan came on the pitch and said this will never happen again?

It's the fans fault that Morgan told fans he would have put those chances away?

It's the fans fault he stormed into the dressing room and $$$$$$$ed the players in front of the manager?

If Morgan engaged his brain before opening his mouth, he'd have nothing to worry about.

The questions he would have to answer would be too difficult for him, that's the only reason he won't say anything. Nothing to do with fans 'throwing things back in his face.' He wasn't forced into making bad decisions.

It seems nobody at the club is accountable. Certainly not Morgan. Definitely not Jeff. I note there's now a shifty push to try and lay the blame at MM's door, (disharmony in the dressing room - anything to do with your rant steve?) however he's signed a confidentiality clause so won't be able to defend himself.

I'm surprised that you defend it though. I honestly didn't have you down as an apologist for this type of behavior.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
So it's the fans fault that Morgan came on the pitch and said this will never happen again?

It's the fans fault that Morgan told fans he would have put those chances away?

It's the fans fault he stormed into the dressing room and $$$$$$$ed the players in front of the manager?

If Morgan engaged his brain before opening his mouth, he'd have nothing to worry about, but to try and use the fans calling Morgan out on some of the nonsense he spouts as a reason for him not to explain his decision making this season is a sly cowardly way out.

However, I honestly didn't have you down as an apologist for this type of behavior..

I haven't so much as mentioned most of those things, and am certainly not being an apologist.
However, the people who are screaming for Morgan to say something now are likely to be those who react most strongly against anything that is said, and then refer back to things that don't happen.
People want Steve Morgan and Jez Moxey to learn from their mistakes - well in this case, as far as statements made at the end of last season are concerned, they do seem to have in keeping more quiet this time.
Can't have it all ways.

J

JR's Boots

I haven't so much as mentioned most of those things, and am certainly not being an apologist.
However, the people who are screaming for Morgan to say something now are likely to be those who react most strongly against anything that is said, and then refer back to things that don't happen.
People want Steve Morgan and Jez Moxey to learn from their mistakes - well in this case, as far as statements made at the end of last season are concerned, they do seem to have in keeping more quiet this time.
Can't have it all ways.

So say nothing and then you cannot be proved wrong. That is abysmal leadership.

B

Bankswolf II

Can't have it all ways.

Yet this topic is about him addressing the very things we wanted answers to on Sunday and since Connor approached

Why has he gone to an university to address this, Because most students are more interested in his company and wont ask him difficult questions about why Curbishley backed down, who these people he interviewed were, why Mick was sacked when he was and so on and so on

Why have I had to hear the very thing I wanted answers too off a MM posters mate (no offence intended to the thread starter) this is something they SHOULD have addressed when their fans asked I think that's what gets peoples backs up most not having no clue what's going on makes it a harder thing to defend.

Back
Top Bottom