Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Mistakes.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Playing through the press"
It ends up stifling our attacking play and creates a ton of chances for the opposition.

Edmund Dantes

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The mistakes that see us nose diving towards the Championship started a long time before the mistake to appoint Bruno Lage.

I think there is a lot of bad choices at the club, but there was a time where we got incredibly lucky which hid how truly mismanaged the club is. Like the carelessness with the Financial Fair Play rules. We're really a poorly run club but were able to hide that fact for awhile.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not signing a fit striker. Add 10 goals into Nuno’s last season and we finish higher. Add 10-15 goals into last season and we’re in Europe. Add 5 goals into this season and we’re in a healthier position. But the club have been starved of a goal scorer for so many years now that they don’t even believe they can score.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Playing through the press"
It ends up stifling our attacking play and creates a ton of chances for the opposition.
Agreed, but it is more simply put as F***ing around at the back. We have done it for the past three seasons and it seems to be a plan. It is a joke that ends up with a hurried clearance at best and a goal, or two, on a bad day. I don't see any other PL side that does it as often as we do. Where does it come from? It started with Nuno and seemed to be developed to a fine art under Bruno. Can we just get a manager to show them some videos of themselves and say "No! No! No!" With the added emphasis of a big stick if required?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, but it is more simply put as F***ing around at the back. We have done it for the past three seasons and it seems to be a plan. It is a joke that ends up with a hurried clearance at best and a goal, or two, on a bad day. I don't see any other PL side that does it as often as we do. Where does it come from? It started with Nuno and seemed to be developed to a fine art under Bruno. Can we just get a manager to show them some videos of themselves and say "No! No! No!" With the added emphasis of a big stick if required?
I wouldn't agree that it was all passing it around the back though. Playing it to people in time and space is fine. But we seem to be moving it into positions happily where 4 or 5 of the opposition have us pinned back.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The " CRAZY LOAN DEALS " since January 2022...

All authorised by a no idea whatsoever football club chairman

Why on earth do you let your captain and leader of the pack plus England international go on loan to a rival PL club???

Last edited:

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It goes right back to Silva and Semedo(/Doc). Both decent players but at that moment: the wrong players in the wrong positions for the wrong prices. Since then it's been mistake after mistake. 'In Shi we trust' was the consensus back then. How wrong those spouting that clap trap have been proven.

'I told you so' doesn't begin to cover it. Those of us who've been publicly critical since then have been told: we don't know the full facts; we need to pipe down and just believe; these Chinese are business genius'; look at our Mendes' recruits and be deferential to our Chinese overlords, etc. The evidence has been there for ages though if you were willing to take an objective look at the club. Recently the mistakes have accelerated, and it seems like Shi and co can't get anything right.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Not signing a fit striker. Add 10 goals into Nuno’s last season and we finish higher. Add 10-15 goals into last season and we’re in Europe. Add 5 goals into this season and we’re in a healthier position. But the club have been starved of a goal scorer for so many years now that they don’t even believe they can score.
This is it. Albeit expensive, I like that we picked up young Fabio to develop and take over the reins in a few years. But, we needed a solid striker option to back up Raul. Once he was injured, we have not been able to score consistently - and that injury-plagued season led to Nuno leaving the club. With Raul, I'm convinced that Nuno would have been given another season as we probably would have finished in the top ten.

Jota was great for Wolves, but I think the timing was right to move him on - we had Neto literally in the wings ready to take over the left-wing spot. Problem is that Neto has been injured for the last year and a half now.

Here are the center-forwards who moved in 2020-21: Ollie Watkins, Paulinho, Mateta (loan), Batshuayi (loan), Callum Wilson, Andre Silva, Carlos Vinicius (loan), Patrik Schick, Sorloth....

Here are the right backs who moved: Castagne, Kyle Walker-Peters, Matty Cash, Jeremie Frimpong. I like Semedo and think he's a good fullback, but he's a lot of dough.

So...two strikers (Fabio + one other) in 2020-21 and a cheaper fullback option would have been it for me (and then keep Vitinha).

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is it. Albeit expensive, I like that we picked up young Fabio to develop and take over the reins in a few years. But, we needed a solid striker option to back up Raul. Once he was injured, we have not been able to score consistently - and that injury-plagued season led to Nuno leaving the club. With Raul, I'm convinced that Nuno would have been given another season as we probably would have finished in the top ten.

Jota was great for Wolves, but I think the timing was right to move him on - we had Neto literally in the wings ready to take over the left-wing spot. Problem is that Neto has been injured for the last year and a half now.

Here are the center-forwards who moved in 2020-21: Ollie Watkins, Paulinho, Mateta (loan), Batshuayi (loan), Callum Wilson, Andre Silva, Carlos Vinicius (loan), Patrik Schick, Sorloth....

Here are the right backs who moved: Castagne, Kyle Walker-Peters, Matty Cash, Jeremie Frimpong. I like Semedo and think he's a good fullback, but he's a lot of dough.

So...two strikers (Fabio + one other) in 2020-21 and a cheaper fullback option would have been it for me (and then keep Vitinha).

I think had we had an experienced DoF making squad decisions, we wouldn’t have made these mistakes and we wouldn’t have been left without a fit senior striker. The root of our problems is the lack of football brains at the top of our leadership team.

Dawnwolf

Reaction score
Their biggest mistake was selling us the dream of challenging the top 6, rebuilding Molineux, and generally giving us the impression Wolves were set to become a serious force again with money behind us. Selling that dream only raises expectations and hopes which naturally disappoints when it doesnt happen.
+1
Came to post pretty much this.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It goes right back to Silva and Semedo(/Doc). Both decent players but at that moment: the wrong players in the wrong positions for the wrong prices. Since then it's been mistake after mistake. 'In Shi we trust' was the consensus back then. How wrong those spouting that clap trap have been proven.

'I told you so' doesn't begin to cover it. Those of us who've been publicly critical since then have been told: we don't know the full facts; we need to pipe down and just believe; these Chinese are business genius'; look at our Mendes' recruits and be deferential to our Chinese overlords, etc. The evidence has been there for ages though if you were willing to take an objective look at the club. Recently the mistakes have accelerated, and it seems like Shi and co can't get anything right.
Totally agree with your second paragraph. People have been defending Shi for years when it's been obvious since 2019 he had no idea what he was doing and was arrogant to boot, and had surrounded himself with voiceless muppets.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember when things were going great under Nuno, and I had a lot of friends of non-Wolves supporting teams who said to me “Enjoy it while it last as everyone knows it will go tits up at some point.”

always had that niggling doubt they would be right.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Being able to appoint a decent coach. We got lucky with Nuno. Lage, Zenga and Lambert their other appointments. Can you believe they sacked Jacket and ended up scratching around for a coach before hiring Zenga and have managed to get themselves in the same situation again when they sacked Lage?

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being able to appoint a decent coach. We got lucky with Nuno. Lage, Zenga and Lambert their other appointments. Can you believe they sacked Jacket and ended up scratching around for a coach before hiring Zenga and have managed to get themselves in the same situation again when they sacked Lage?
That’s a really good point about Kenny.

Zenga for Jackett.

Grief!

bigwolf

Reaction score
Installing beer pumps in Southbank which has doubled queue times.

Get out of our club Jeff.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
We all know Shi pulls the strings and is aided by Sellars and to some extent Vinnie but is there anyone else to supplement them ?
Interesting to read yesterday that Chelsea are about to appoint 4 people ,strategic footballing people to run/guide the club from a footballing perspective.
They are footballing people as opposed to us who are run by Shi who has no football knowledge ,a Director of Football who has just ingratiated himself into that position ,Vinnie (enough said about him )and Mendes who seems to have his interests and leanings elsewhere these days .
Our hierarchy and their decision making has resulted in the mess we are in .

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1. January 2022. Genuine chance of top 6 finish. Just needed to keep an inform Adama and
bring in a midfielder of quality. Mendes/Fosun priorities royally screwed us.

2. Failing to carry out the long discussed expansion and improvement of the ground. The
Wolves "project" always included that for reasons of momentuum, prestige, atmosphere
and, not least, cheaper tickets to secure the longterm future of the club's fanbase.
Instead we got esports!!!

3. Poor managerial appointment after Nuno and fiasco of today.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s a really good point about Kenny.

Zenga for Jackett.

Grief!
Horrendous decision in isolation.. but maybe if that didn’t happen, we don’t end up with Nuno and all the talent that came with.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Letting Jeff run the ship, working too closely with Mendes.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact that we've tried to repeat the Raul striker success many times. We've never bought a decent striker in good form. Always projects that continue to fail. It worked with Raul, but never since.

And the scary part is that they're so confident in their ability to rebound or develop quickly that they never get insurance. We've never recreated Raul's sudden growth because that kind of thing is rare.

Back
Top Bottom