Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Nunes

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Half of that list, you could say cause and effect is the other way round. We have a new manager, are in a relegation and have no confidence precisley *because* our expensive signings have played poorly, not the other way round.

It was the busiest summer signing spree ever for all clubs. Most of the other teams signings settled a lot quicker. Heaven help us what will Haaland do when he's finally settled at his new club in a new country!

Seriously, though, this "players not settling" is becoming a bit of a pattern for us, going back to Willian Jose. Could be theres' something we are not looking at when we target these players. Or we are not doing enough to help them settle.

Nunes and Guedes are being massively shown up by an inexperienced 20 year old (Bueno) who is playing in the same squad with no manager, no confidence and in a relegation battle, yet he shows a much better attitude. And he's a wing back playing left back, too.

You don’t help a player settle by playing him out of position for three months

You also don’t help a player in guedes settle by playing him in a team without a striker for 1 month then drop him , then play him when he is ill, then drop him

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So for his part. He’s had enough chances to have scored a couple of goals by now and I would like to see a little more fight and better tackling.

On the positive he can pass and carries the ball well but is clearly playing a drastically different position than he did at sporting and it’s not working. I hope he comes good because I think he has obvious quality

But imagine

New club
New country / league
New manager after a couple of games
New position
Relegation scrap
No confidence in the squad

Give him a break
It took podence, neto and many others time to get up to speed. Not everyone finds it as seemless as neves.

Let’s get behind him and make him feel at home
Neves took a while to get used to the PL in our first season up too.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves took a while to get used to the PL in our first season up too.
He did. We needed to switch to 5-3-2 and Joao was far better. Ruben was let off the hook that season because we did so well. He wasn’t terrible but he was quite inconsistent, and was dropped a couple times with good reason.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is his best position?
I guess where he played before we signed him: so part of the fabled 'pivot', a deep sitting midfielder next to Neves in our system, but driving forwards rather than the less mobile/very talented Neves role as a sitting central midfielder? But I'm no tactician!

I do think we've gone way OTT on Portugeezers though with the big money spent on him and Guedes (plus the frankly strange persistence with Trincao last season), and Pod as our main creative attacking outlet, and been found out a bit this season. Personally, I'd have persevered with MGW in the Guedes or Pod role and looked as widely as possible (and maybe spent a bit more?) at players for the Nunes role. That said, I do think Nunes will come good, he's shown in brief spells how good he could be if played in the right position...

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nunes is supposed to be highly 'press resistant'. He could do with showing this against Brighton cos their press was terrifying against Chelsea.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nunes is supposed to be highly 'press resistant'. He could do with showing this against Brighton cos their press was terrifying against Chelsea.
He struggles tempowise pretty badly as it is,and I don´t expect him..our the team as a whole..to cope with constant press pretty well.
Looking back at how Nunes played in Sporting..the amount of time he was allowed there he simply won´t get in the Premier League.
Nunes needs to adapt to this,and pretty fast as well.
He just doesn´t look quite fast enough for me.
For example,he is too slow in the situation in the Brentford match where he get´s his knock.He doesn´t manage to get away fast enough..and he could have released the ball as an alternative as there were good passing outlet as well.
He must get a little bit quicker in head and legs.He won´t get the same amount of time playing for us compared playing for Sporting in the Portuguese league.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess where he played before we signed him: so part of the fabled 'pivot', a deep sitting midfielder next to Neves in our system, but driving forwards rather than the less mobile/very talented Neves role as a sitting central midfielder? But I'm no tactician!

I do think we've gone way OTT on Portugeezers though with the big money spent on him and Guedes (plus the frankly strange persistence with Trincao last season), and Pod as our main creative attacking outlet, and been found out a bit this season. Personally, I'd have persevered with MGW in the Guedes or Pod role and looked as widely as possible (and maybe spent a bit more?) at players for the Nunes role. That said, I do think Nunes will come good, he's shown in brief spells how good he could be if played in the right position...
The problem is Davis doesnt know where to play him or how he fits into the team
He has said hes too "loose" to play in a 2 with Neves,so wants him further upfield,but hes never played there and looks lost
Hes not been given a specific role,or not one we can see,so roams around right side of midfield not knowing whether to stick or twist
He looks much better central,but then we have no real right sided midfielder,maybe Hodge or Traore can do that role?
We could then play 4 1 2 3 idk but at the moment hes just in no mans land and it shows

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Madness. For two years most people said the problem was the lack of a ball carrier in the midfield. Two deep sitting midfielders who wanted to pass the ball, but the attack miles away, or dropping too deep. We finally sign someone to do this role, perfect to compliment the imperious Neves, and play him in some sort of 10ish position that's hard to even define.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Madness. For two years most people said the problem was the lack of a ball carrier in the midfield. Two deep sitting midfielders who wanted to pass the ball, but the attack miles away, or dropping too deep. We finally sign someone to do this role, perfect to compliment the imperious Neves, and play him in some sort of 10ish position that's hard to even define.
Yeah I thought he was a perfect signing for our midfield, that link up player to bring the ball out and holds onto the ball well. Hoping it's a case of him needing to get up to speed, maybe losing that loose style, the premier league is mad for its pace and lack of thinking time, all of a sudden a player is on you.

T

TheConcourse

Said it a million times, but we should have kept a back 3 and made the gradual % improvements to that team under Nuno. Mainly CB and CM. With everyone fit:

Sa
Collins Coady Kilman
Semedo Neves Nunes RAN
Traore (striker) Neto

That team would have caused utter chaos under Nuno on the break. Defensively sound and more angles of attack with pace all over the show.

I was more than happy to see Coady disappear as we moved to a back four, but I massively regret making the transition to a 4atb.

It’s killed us.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only Wolves it seems can sign a player then not know where to play him, play him in his bloody best position otherwise why the heck did we sign him ?, the quicker we get a decent manager in the better..

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is his best position?

The position he got an assist and man of the match performance in against Southampton, maybe? He looked OK in his first few matches. Those papers that give marks out of 10, he was getting 7's initially. It's dropped off recently, though.

All these issues are not mutually exclusive. It doesn't have to be just one thing. He can be struggling a because he's being played out of his favourite position AND he's having a sulk, regretting joining a club in a relegation battle when he was led to believe we'd be challenging for Europe.

A lot of these players we get from Porto, Benfica,etc. they have never known a struggle. They play for one of their big 2 or 3, where a bad season is finishing 3rd. It's not impossible they just don't have the mentality for a real struggle. It's never been tested, maybe they find out a bit too late that going in to every match as underdog, desperate for anything, is not for them.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me (currently) the pace of the English game along with the hustle bustle nature of it is too much for him. He’s doing that classic “new player to the league” bit of dwelling on the ball a second too long and giving himself trouble. For the short term he needs to feel his way in, do nothing clever and concentrate on “pass-move”.

Those saying it’s a lack of effort, I think that’s nonsense. If anything he’s trying too hard, trying to be too clever. Just go back to basics for a bit and get some confidence in him

floydstreet

Reaction score

Agree here
MGW is better than Guedes and same cost
Made no sense that

floydstreet

Reaction score
Said it a million times, but we should have kept a back 3 and made the gradual % improvements to that team under Nuno. Mainly CB and CM. With everyone fit:

Sa
Collins Coady Kilman
Semedo Neves Nunes RAN
Traore (striker) Neto

That team would have caused utter chaos under Nuno on the break. Defensively sound and more angles of attack with pace all over the show.

I was more than happy to see Coady disappear as we moved to a back four, but I massively regret making the transition to a 4atb.

It’s killed us.
Hindsight so far I’d agree
If we play four and a high line I got the decision on Coady and rate Collins

That’s said we looked defensively solid in a four at the start

The real nonsense

If you have a squad suited to 3 at back
If you want to change tbat
Make sure you have a manager in charge you trust and are prepared to give time to

Otherwise
We’ve let one manager sign players and move players on
Only to sack him quickly

I think they bottled the summer as confidence in Lage had obviously gone

Matteus will come good
He’s a talent
A goal
Some wolves wins
And he’ll fly

And maybe a new manager will help him settle

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree here
MGW is better than Guedes and same cost
Made no sense that
Now that is a laughable comment!!!

Nunes plays regularly for a major European powerhouse nation and has earned rave reviews in the premier European club competition, where MGW has one well reviewed performance in the prem and a good season in the championship.

and it turns out his mrs has upset and fallen out with yet another set of fans…..

Nottingham Forrest staff aren’t happy with Morgan from what I have been told and his GF is a massive source of their frustration with him at a time when the fans supporting the players and the club.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“From what you’ve been told?”

Close to the Nottingham forest staff are you?
Close to one person from university days yes, I shared that I knew a person there when people were confident Morgan was staying as he was the one confidently telling they were going to land him weeks before they did.

Two friends at arsenal who told me about their interest in Neto (this has cooled now he has a second long term injury in as many years) in the summer and also how they wanted Ruben but we priced him out of a move and the Xhaka move falling through affected how much they could spend.

Made no secret I have friends at a few clubs from my own time in footy, but zero contacts at wolves since two/three years before fosun came in so can share info on other clubs and occasionally their thoughts on our players but a zero ITK’er for my own club hahaha

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“From what you’ve been told?”

Close to the Nottingham forest staff are you?
However….

I should add, they love him as a player and a lad in general. Said how hard he works in training and is great guy around the place as he has a great personality and it is clear how much he wants to be a quality footballer.

Realised I should put the positive about him too and I hadn’t.

I think the lad is a real talent and it is unfair to not share the full picture only the negative when if he hits his potential he will be a real gem of a player

Wolves2018

Reaction score
Where is he? 50/50 last week... so what were the odds of him playing today?! Does he want to be here or not? Not even on the bench...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where is he? 50/50 last week... so what were the odds of him playing today?! Does he want to be here or not? Not even on the bench...
What is the obsession that some folk on here have that every injured player doesn't want to play for the club? It wasn't "last week" that he was 50:50, it was for a game four days ago.

Wolves2018

Reaction score
What is the obsession that some folk on here have that every injured player doesn't want to play for the club? It wasn't "last week" that he was 50:50, it was for a game four days ago.
Some folk do you mean me? 50/50 to me 4 days ago should mean he will be on the bench at least, coming from experience at an high level myself, what's your experience other than solving algebra for kids? Lol

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering our injury record this season it's probably best they take their time with him
I expect they felt no need to risk him, and probably positive move. Should be fit for bench on saturday or team i pray.

Will wait for davis presser tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom