Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Mark McGhee

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you read his history, it sounds pretty good! :dong:

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought it was going to be Paul ince?

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those were dark days indeed and why did he pick that team for the FACSF at Villa Park ? - I will never understand that in a million years.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shame - I quite like Bristol Rovers!

L

long ball man

Another case of a club being seduced by a biggish name. Richard Money and Geraint Williams were up for that job...far more impressive track records in lower leagues than McGoo.

W

Wolvesthrunthru

Those were dark days indeed and why did he pick that team for the FACSF at Villa Park ? - I will never understand that in a million years.

Claridge (&%!*) and Goodman up front, Bull and Keane on the bench, genius :mad:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was a bit young for the Mcghee era. My dad tells me used to $$$$ off opposition teams with his pre-match quotes. Was he well liked here?

T

Tettenhall Wolf

I don't go to many games away from the mol, but that one I remember very cleary as I was sat in the first row and it was pouring with rain. Very disappointing as I think we could have done better. Semi-Final of the FAC for $$$$'s sake!

H

Hatch End

Hi Tettenhall Wolf, we must have been very close that day. I was also right on the front row and got ****ing soaked in the first half, but it dried up in the second.

Thought it was going to be a good day, when only half of the $$$$-nal fans got there in time for the kick-off ( stuck on the Motorway apparently ), but then I found out what team that idiot McGoo had chosen and I'could tell that we were doomed to failure again.
We could have won that day!

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't go to many games away from the mol, but that one I remember very cleary as I was sat in the first row and it was pouring with rain. Very disappointing as I think we could have done better. Semi-Final of the FAC for $$$$'s sake!

Remember it well. You could feel the apathy amongst the Wolves fans when they read out the team. Claridge FFS. What did he ever do for Wolves? I still can't bring myself to watch the Football League Show on BBC as I'll have to put up with his ugly mug.

BOOOO!!!! McGoo out!!!

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hi Tettenhall Wolf, we must have been very close that day. I was also right on the front row and got ****ing soaked in the first half, but it dried up in the second.

Thought it was going to be a good day, when only half of the $$$$-nal fans got there in time for the kick-off ( stuck on the Motorway apparently ), but then I found out what team that idiot McGoo had chosen and I'could tell that we were doomed to failure again.
We could have won that day!

Blimey Tett and Hatch - me and my son were in the front row as well that day - but we were actually right behind the goal netting [restricted view]. I still feel sick when I think of the team being announced that day. If Claridge HADN'T been picked we could have easily got a draw that day. He was one of our worst ever signings IMO.

Waggy's Boots

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me him once about 18 months ago and he was a decent entertaining chap - felt sore that SJH never really backed him...mentioned fickle fans too..how dare he!

J

jayeff17

I went to see the game at Norwich years ago when Bully scored from almost the halfway line in front of me sat a guy looked like a bank manager smart overcoat tie about every ten minutes he jumped to his feet and shouted
HE'S FAT HE'S ROUND IT'S JUDAS IN THE GROUND MARK MAGHEE
never laughed so much in my life and we won 2-1 I think
:wavey::wavey::wavey:

S

singwolf_1

Me him once about 18 months ago and he was a decent entertaining chap - felt sore that SJH never really backed him...mentioned fickle fans too..how dare he!

I honestly never wanted him at Wolves! Walked out on Reading, and then Leicester! Why on earth would we have wanted a person like that as our manager?

Arcadius

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bull and Keane on the bench!! Can you believe it to this day?? McGoo's a $$$$ing idiot! BTW no Dougie Freedman on the bench 'cos rumour has it he was playing away with McGoo's wife!!

B

bridgnorthwolf

I was a bit young for the Mcghee era. My dad tells me used to $$$$ off opposition teams with his pre-match quotes. Was he well liked here?

Popular choice when he took over as he did well at Leicester and was tipped for big things, but then went on to waste a $$$$load of money on overpriced, overpayed underperformers.

The best thing he did, particularly during the 96/97 season was get the best out of Bully and help him to change his game just slightly and get him really on form again as having lost some of his earlier pace etc he had been dipping in form.

He signed a lot of players who had looked good previously for other clubs and on paper it looked like we had a decent team, but most of them failed to deliver. Steve Corica was a prime example. Looked good when he played for McGhee at Leicester, looked like a great signing, showed flashes that he was a good player, but never anything more.

I think the transfer deal that summed up McGhee's reign here better than any though was signing Steve Sedgley for something like £750k plus sending Mark Venus in the other direction to Ipswich. Sedgley was awful for us and Veno, who McGhee thought was past it went on to have a storming spell at Ipswich, got promoted with them to the Premier League, then finished fifth in the Premier League, won their player of the season and ended up playing in the UEFA Cup.....

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Popular choice when he took over as he did well at Leicester and was tipped for big things, but then went on to waste a $$$$load of money on overpriced, overpayed underperformers.

The best thing he did, particularly during the 96/97 season was get the best out of Bully and help him to change his game just slightly and get him really on form again as having lost some of his earlier pace etc he had been dipping in form.

He signed a lot of players who had looked good previously for other clubs and on paper it looked like we had a decent team, but most of them failed to deliver. Steve Corica was a prime example. Looked good when he played for McGhee at Leicester, looked like a great signing, showed flashes that he was a good player, but never anything more.

I think the transfer deal that summed up McGhee's reign here better than any though was signing Steve Sedgley for something like £750k plus sending Mark Venus in the other direction to Ipswich. Sedgley was awful for us and Veno, who McGhee thought was past it went on to have a storming spell at Ipswich, got promoted with them to the Premier League, then finished fifth in the Premier League, won their player of the season and ended up playing in the UEFA Cup.....
Not forgetting Zelko Kalac-now that was 500k well spent.He didn't play too many good games for us though.:rolleyes:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ouch. Glad I didn't have to witness that as anything more than a Wolves tyke.

T

Tettenhall Wolf

Blimey Tett and Hatch - me and my son were in the front row as well that day - but we were actually right behind the goal netting [restricted view]. I still feel sick when I think of the team being announced that day. If Claridge HADN'T been picked we could have easily got a draw that day. He was one of our worst ever signings IMO.

Bunch of front row mugs! Saw us coming.

What was also bad in terms of watching the game was I always have had my season ticket in a high spot along the centre spot. That day I couldn't tell what the F was happening, was $$$$ed off with the weather, view, team, manager and result. The train was also packed

;-)

T

Tettenhall Wolf

Oh and another McGoo thing...........this one makes me slightly happier.

When you watch the now famous footage of Bully's 4 goals at St James' park on new years day, McGoo was playing upfront for Newcastle. Ha!

Who went on the specially chartered planes up there? I didn't, but there must be a few on here? Made the national news that!

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always makes me smile thinking about his first game in charge.
A big deal was made of his style of play, before the game he told the players to just relax and pass the ball and everything would be fine.

Wolves passed the ball a lot that day, losing at home 1-0 to Port Vale :)

B

bridgnorthwolf

Ouch. Glad I didn't have to witness that as anything more than a Wolves tyke.

I was only young and have thought about things a lot more since on reflection that I probably didn't understand quite so much at the time.

The team selection for the FA Cup Semi Final was baffling. Was so excited that day. Should have gone with Keane and Goodman up front and Bull to come on if we were chasing a goal. I could undertstand Claridge being thrown on at the end to go for broke, but not from the start FFS!

Also, if we had stuck with Graham Taylor I'm convinced we would have gone up in 96/97 quite comfortably. We were coming good at the end of 93/94, were fantastic in 94/95, but ultimately denied by injuries of automatic promotion. 95/96 we were red hot favouries for the title, but ended up almost getting relegated. But things would have been no different if we had stuck with Taylor and not brought McGhee in and Taylor would have turned it round in 96/97. I mean, McGhee got us in the play-offs that season, but with the amount of money being spent for a club in the second flight at that time, we should have walked into the Premier League. Comparatively speaking, Mick did it with peanuts.

B

Bostin

Claridge (&%!*) and Goodman up front, Bull and Keane on the bench, genius :mad:

I will never forgive that fat, Scottish $$$$$$$ for that. I was only 12 at the time, me and my Dad made a cardboard cut-out of the FA Cup and covered it in tin foil and everything! That was back when the cup was magic. First time I cried watching the Wolves, that day.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I was only young and have thought about things a lot more since on reflection that I probably didn't understand quite so much at the time.

The team selection for the FA Cup Semi Final was baffling. Was so excited that day. Should have gone with Keane and Goodman up front and Bull to come on if we were chasing a goal. I could undertstand Claridge being thrown on at the end to go for broke, but not from the start FFS!

Also, if we had stuck with Graham Taylor I'm convinced we would have gone up in 96/97 quite comfortably. We were coming good at the end of 93/94, were fantastic in 94/95, but ultimately denied by injuries of automatic promotion. 95/96 we were red hot favouries for the title, but ended up almost getting relegated. But things would have been no different if we had stuck with Taylor and not brought McGhee in and Taylor would have turned it round in 96/97. I mean, McGhee got us in the play-offs that season, but with the amount of money being spent for a club in the second flight at that time, we should have walked into the Premier League. Comparatively speaking, Mick did it with peanuts.
People forget that when Taylor was sacked we had just stuggled to draw 0-0 against 10 man Charlton and were actually 20th.Mere conjecture to say Taylor would have turned things round.The thing is the crowd turned and there were demonstrations.This has never happened under Steve Morgan and for those who keep banging on that MM is here for the duration irrespective of where we end up they should bear this in mind because once our crowd turns it inevitably gets messy and lets see how strong their resolve is then.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bridgnorthwolf

People forget that when Taylor was sacked we had just stuggled to draw 0-0 against 10 man Charlton and were actually 20th.Mere conjecture to say Taylor would have turned things round.The thing is the crowd turned and there were demonstrations.This has never happened under Steve Morgan and for those who keep banging on that MM is here for the duration irrespective of where we end up they should bear this in mind because once our crowd turns it inevitably gets messy and lets see how strong their resolve is then.

We're in a much better place now than we were then and Morgan is far more level-headed than his predecessors.

The fact that we were 20th in the league meant we were vastly underachieving when looking at our expectations that season, but the fact that we changed managers and finished 20th at the end of the season would suggest that it didn't change a fat lot.

Nothing can ever be proven now, but whilst he bought a few players ignoring known injury problems, Taylor did a lot of good for the club, really got the academy going and was ultimately starting to get us into shape to take the next step forward. 95/96 was a major blow, but I believe (as did Steve Bull, who said it in an interview I watched the other day) that had he stayed, he would have turned things round, finished higher up the table that season than we eventually did and ultimately got us promoted the following season.

Still, our loss Watford's gain and on a much tighter budget...

D

Dewsburywolf

Bristol Rovers you say, kind of fits with him being a tit

D

Deleted member 3518

I went to see the game at Norwich years ago when Bully scored from almost the halfway line in front of me sat a guy looked like a bank manager smart overcoat tie about every ten minutes he jumped to his feet and shouted
HE'S FAT HE'S ROUND IT'S JUDAS IN THE GROUND MARK MAGHEE
never laughed so much in my life and we won 2-1 I think
:wavey::wavey::wavey:

Wasn't that the game when Bully scored a hat-trick after the birth of his new child and he drove down having been up all night?

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
We're in a much better place now than we were then and Morgan is far more level-headed than his predecessors.

The fact that we were 20th in the league meant we were vastly underachieving when looking at our expectations that season, but the fact that we changed managers and finished 20th at the end of the season would suggest that it didn't change a fat lot.

Nothing can ever be proven now, but whilst he bought a few players ignoring known injury problems, Taylor did a lot of good for the club, really got the academy going and was ultimately starting to get us into shape to take the next step forward. 95/96 was a major blow, but I believe (as did Steve Bull, who said it in an interview I watched the other day) that had he stayed, he would have turned things round, finished higher up the table that season than we eventually did and ultimately got us promoted the following season.

Still, our loss Watford's gain and on a much tighter budget...
I am not denegrating Taylor,just pointing out how things were.It is immaterial to say Morgan is more level headed.If the fans turn it will get nasty and whereas Taylor was and is a man of integrity and kept his counsel, I wonder how MM will react if and when the crowd turn? We certainly saw a small example against Swansea.Time will tell.

B

bridgnorthwolf

I know people turned against Taylor, but I certainly think in hindsight, a lot would have stuck with him and would rather he stayed over having McGhee or Colin Lee.

I didn't want him to go at the time personally and thought he'd turn it round. I'd have given him the time purely based on the fact that since our return to the second flight, we never looked anywhere near good enough to get into the top flight under Graham Turner, despite having what I thought was a half decent squad. What we needed were a few genuine quality additions (not Kevin Ashley or Rob Hindmarch who signed for relatively high sums at the time), but more like David Kelly, Geoff Thomas, Don Goodman, Dean Richards and Steve Froggatt (and Tony Daley were he not constantly injured). In Taylor's first full season we made a quantum leap forward for me and were it not for injuries from the beginning of April onwards where we drew pretty much 90% of games, we would have gained automatic promotion.

Even then it was only John McGinlay's boxing skills that stopped us.....

Back
Top Bottom