Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Maradona

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mexico 86 was the first World Cup I properly took interest in, he was so far above the rest. You think no special help that today’s players get, and did it while on the Charlie! Greatest player, with demons? Interesting debate to have, but got to be in the top 6.
Pele, Cruyff, Best,Ronaldo, Messi, and Diego
Could never understand why Gregory didn't just scythe him down in the Hand of God game. He would have in a league game.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football? Lost the argument did you? Mind you I wonder how many Maradona ****ged?
It was just a joke! Maradona did his share.

and yes you are right I havnt seen any footage of George Best cheating at football.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ali Bin Nasser is getting away with murder here.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw Maradona play against Yanited in the 80's for Napoli in the old European cup I think it was - dont remember much of the game as I was very very drunk in the back of a transit van with about 10 others - probs 84 or 85 around the time of the miners strike as we got stopped by the rozzers :) great player but he didn't shine that night for sure
Neither did you by the sound of it.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No player has ever come close to achieving what he has at a club AND country level. I’m not just referring to trophies either. Probably only Ronaldo gets remotely near.

If you haven’t seen the Naples documentary yet, you need to see it. I guarantee you have never seen anything like it.

A phenomenon.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those, rightly, calling him a cheat. Watch the documentary, I guarantee you will see him in a different light.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Maybe Grealish should watch Maradona's highlights to see how to stay on your feet. Amazing how Maradona could keep his balance while getting mauled...

Great documentary of him--warts and all. Truly one of the GOATs.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pele was the greatest. Didn’t have to cheat to achieve greatness.

It’s a lot like comparing Hamilton to Schumacher. One had to cheat to attain greatness, the other one transgresses the sport.

Nevertheless l hope he finds peace now.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those, rightly, calling him a cheat. Watch the documentary, I guarantee you will see him in a different light.
No way would I ever see him in a different light. If I had ever seen him walking down the road I would have crossed over to avoid him.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The greatest player of all time in my view. Almost single-handedly inspired Argentina to win the world cup.

RIP
Not in 78 he didn’t.

(as in - Argentina had players that had already brought a WC home, previously)

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A remarkable football talent but not the greatest ever.

If I had the inclination and time I could name about ten who were better but the list would include Best,Pele and Messi just giving it 30 seconds of thought.

To those who compare Best's flaws with Maradona I can assure all that having watched Best play dozens of times -including a few years at Molineux- my memory of Best is not of the cheating kind. Many hacked him but his uncanny strength and balance saw him stand up and take it most times. I saw Best goading the kickers and hackers after he had made them look foolish, inviting them to try it again. I don't recall any Wolves players who fell into that category where he felt the need to goad them -ever.

Pele was just beautiful to watch and he was kicked out of the 1966 World Cup but I don't recall him resorting to cheating. In fact in 1970 against England he only had high praise for Bobby Moore and Gordon Banks after one of the best England International games I have ever seen.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s a lot like comparing Hamilton to Schumacher. One had to cheat to attain greatness, the other one transgresses the sport.

He scored a few other goals with his feet...

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched it, its a great documentary, he was certainly a genius, exploited to a great extent after he got to Naples, but he knew he was a **** and lived up to it. That's as much his legacy as his ability, you can't ignore the drugs either.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His prime was a bit before my time, but I remember watching that goal and celebration at WC ‘94 vividly.

Years later it dawned on me why they might have been suspicious that he needed drug testing.

That said, a true legend of the game who will be missed.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not the GOAT for me - Pele would have that accolade. Maradona not even the greatest Argentinian.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thank you for that comparison, I'm a bit fed up about reading the Lewis put downs.
It's mostly on here in reality, I don't hear it anywhere else.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bigger than life. Maradona was to football what Elvis was to music. A real character who had the colour of Boca Junior's in his blood A brilliant footballer, a genius, a family man, who found wealth hard to cope with. He made many mistakes in his personal life, but he was a bigger than life character. Everybody in the world will be talking about his death today, that is how big he was.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not in 78 he didn’t.

(as in - Argentina had players that had already brought a WC home, previously)
He didn't play in the 78 finals, only a teenager at that time.

No Argentine 1978 squad player was in the 1986 squad, unless you can name any.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A great player who unfortunately will be remembered for the hand of god goal. Maybe not the best ever player, but Maradona was up there with the likes Pele, Best, di Stefano and Eusabio.

R.I.P.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terrible tweet from Peter Shilton.

I wont put it up, because of the swearing.

"Try to cheat death, you fat little c---"

That is completely out of order and disrespectful, to a man who has just lost his life. There is no need for that.
Can’t be his real account. Must be a fake

D

Deleted member 5276

Shedding no tears here. He was lucky to get to 60.
Greatest of all time... laughable. Not a patch on Pele.
Rot in hell.

Back
Top Bottom