Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Manchester City (H) Pre-Match Thread!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
1696055738507.jpeg

IT’S MAAAAAAATCHDAAAAAAYYYYYY!!

Here we go again.

Football is a strange game. Will we win today? Probably not. Could we win? Of course! And it’s that little bit of hope, no matter how small, that just drags you in.

Manchester City are arguably the best club team in the world right now. How they’ve got there is another debate. But the fact is for us to have a chance we need to be pretty much perfect. And a lot lot better than we’ve been in the last two games. The positive is that arguably our two best performances this season have been against Man Utd and Liverpool, so we are capable of stepping up when the opposition are really good.

For us, we have to get the basics right. We’ve given the ball away so easily at times, that’s football suicide against Man City. We will have to do a lot of defending today which means our concentration has to be higher. And we’ve just got to work harder, some of the players haven’t been putting 100% in, that has to change.

Team wise, I do think we need to bring back the back three/five. Not necessarily to get a result today, but long term our best bet for getting results is by being a little bit more solid. Today I think the team will be:

Sa
Semedo Dawson Kilman Toti Ait-Nouri
Lemina Gomes
Hwang Cunha Neto
Interesting to hear O’Neil say yesterday that he doesn’t see it as a free hit at all and a good chance to test ourselves and see where we are. The results and performances have been very disappointing but it’s easily to forget we’re still very early in the season. Nothing will be decided today either way, so we’ll have to see what happens.

Whether you’re following from Molineux, across the Black Country or across the world, enjoy the game and let’s get those three points lads!

COYW!

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Up early but that’s due to indigestion not enthusiasm. Not looking forward to the game today. I just have no faith in GON at all and cannot see how we will even lay a glove on City today. I hope and pray I’m wrong but apart from my heart all other indications spell heavy defeat.

surreywolf

Reaction score
A tough test awaits, but that is the nature of the Premier League. After struggles against Luton Town and Ipswich Town, it would be typical of Wolves to win today. Unlikely, but nothing is impossible.

Maybe….. over the years….. but can’t see it today. Odds are so overwhelmingly stacked in city’s favour - inc the officials, media expectations etc

The word ‘cakewalk’ comes to mind

If Bellegarde was playing it might have been interesting as I think he’s really got something. At least Neto and Hwang look sharp

Ah well what the hell - up the wolves

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well one positive thing about Gary , is he doesn't show the other teams to much respect .
We roared into United and Liverpool, hope he attacks city from the off, get a goal ,,then bring on 5 more defenders

Wolflaw

Reaction score
I hope- but do not expect- to see Cunha in Bellegarde's role with Sasa up top with Neto and Hwang. That may give City something to think about at least for two minutes.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's just hope Gaz has told the lads the cones move today and a little quicker than the ones Dezz pulls on string at Compton .

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guardiola himself has identified that we do have some attacking threats, so let’s hope Neto, Cuhna and the Korean guy can prove him right and offer some attacking threat!

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every time I see Cunha's name pencilled in as our number 9 my heart sinks as I have zero confidence in him scoring. Presumably there must be a role for him, but not as our main striker. Would prefer to start with Fabio as I feel he has more chance of finding the back of the net.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 37591

IT’S MAAAAAAATCHDAAAAAAYYYYYY!!

Here we go again.

Football is a strange game. Will we win today? Probably not. Could we win? Of course! And it’s that little bit of hope, no matter how small, that just drags you in.

Manchester City are arguably the best club team in the world right now. How they’ve got there is another debate. But the fact is for us to have a chance we need to be pretty much perfect. And a lot lot better than we’ve been in the last two games. The positive is that arguably our two best performances this season have been against Man Utd and Liverpool, so we are capable of stepping up when the opposition are really good.

For us, we have to get the basics right. We’ve given the ball away so easily at times, that’s football suicide against Man City. We will have to do a lot of defending today which means our concentration has to be higher. And we’ve just got to work harder, some of the players haven’t been putting 100% in, that has to change.

Team wise, I do think we need to bring back the back three/five. Not necessarily to get a result today, but long term our best bet for getting results is by being a little bit more solid. Today I think the team will be:

Sa
Semedo Dawson Kilman Toti Ait-Nouri
Lemina Gomes
Hwang Cunha Neto
Interesting to hear O’Neil say yesterday that he doesn’t see it as a free hit at all and a good chance to test ourselves and see where we are. The results and performances have been very disappointing but it’s easily to forget we’re still very early in the season. Nothing will be decided today either way, so we’ll have to see what happens.

Whether you’re following from Molineux, across the Black Country or across the world, enjoy the game and let’s get those three points lads!

COYW!
Agree that we should go to a back five
If we do then IMO I would much rather have Doherty as right wing back than Semedo

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Up early but that’s due to indigestion not enthusiasm. Not looking forward to the game today. I just have no faith in GON at all and cannot see how we will even lay a glove on City today. I hope and pray I’m wrong but apart from my heart all other indications spell heavy defeat.
Same here I’m afraid

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ll be plucky losers today like every other club that faces the Man City machine. We might ruffle a few feathers in spells but their quality will shine through no matter what

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A week ago, Luton picked up their first point of the season so perhaps this week will see Man City drop their first points of the season. I can dream, can’t I?

Anyway, I’ll be at the cinema all day so I can just pick up the good news when Im finished. :D

COYW!

loppers86

Reaction score
Jeff Shi said:

“If you ask me the long-term goal, of course, we want to be as good as Man City, even better than them in the future”

Today should be a good half-term report on Jeff’s project.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think this will go one of two ways: Man City labour for 20 mins and then kick into gear and give us a good thumping, or we hold them and nick a surprise result against the run of play.

I’ve seen nothing recently to suggest anything other than a good thumping though unfortunately.

fev123

Groupie
Reaction score
I don't think the players are playing for this manager already. If they score early this could get really bad. GoN after this, villa or at best/worst bournemouth. Dark days at the mol, not sure I can even be bothered to safe stand today.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ll start alright today having set up well and will cause them some issues. Trouble is that it will involve a stupid, frantic press, we won’t score during the spell (or more than 1) and gradually we become sitting and tired ducks.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff Shi said:

“If you ask me the long-term goal, of course, we want to be as good as Man City, even better than them in the future”

Good at what though..?

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hmm going to be sick of hearing "Nunes crosses to Haarland, goal!"

I still don't understand the logic of buying a player with a contract condition that he can sign for a rival team. It just stinks of money making rather than team building. A bit like buying a player you had on loan with an option, just so you can sell him to Stoke?

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I dread a Sheffield United fiasco. The season has a long way to go and we already realise it's going to be a struggle, it doesn't need a drubbing of rare proportions to worsen our fragile morale. Fingers crossed.

loppers86

Reaction score
Hmm going to be sick of hearing "Nunes crosses to Haarland, goal!"

I still don't understand the logic of buying a player with a contract condition that he can sign for a rival team. It just stinks of money making rather than team building. A bit like buying a player you had on loan with an option, just so you can sell him to Stoke?
in all honesty it stinks of money laundering in an FFP way. I don’t understand FFP but having deals with a time element seems like moving cash flows into different years to me.

bigwolf

Reaction score
Guardiola himself has identified that we do have some attacking threats, so let’s hope Neto, Cuhna and the Korean guy can prove him right and offer some attacking threat!

The Korean guy ha.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff Shi said:

Could do better it reads......

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will enjoy my day out today but think it’s virtually inevitable that we will lose. That doesn’t feel good at all.

Back
Top Bottom