Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Manager chat

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary should go back to walking his XL Bully around some estate in south London in his trackie with his “I’m ten and love me hair gel, me” buzz cut whilst we get someone else in who knows what the **** they are doing. It’ s clear. It’s obvious to every **** that has ever watched a football match. This guy makes terrys clipboard look ****ing competent.

The fans have no respect for him. The players have no respect for him. And why should they?! Done nothing. Been nowhere. And achieved absolutely ****ing zilch. This is not the Wolverhampton Sunday league. But somehow we have managed to put an absolute dip **** novice in charge of a premier league football teams .

I would rather take big Sam at this point that some overly hair gelled chav looking twerp who says we cant compete with the ****test liverpool team on n recent memory, without most of their key players, cos he is looking for an excuse. We competed before you, Gary loser. We will compete after you, Gary loser. Total dross loser of a manager. And losers bread loosing.

Gary out.
Hardly know where to start. As pointed out by WolfInSheep'sClothing using someone's hairstyle to berate them is pretty pathetic. Guess you wouldn't want us to sign Grealish or Maddison for that reason either? Not a good start. Doesn't generate much confidence in the merit of your argument

How do you know the players have no respect for him? Have they confided this to you? I don't remember telling you I have no respect for GON either. Any mixers told Thor this?

A manager doesn't have to have a glittering CV to command respect. Arsene Wenger had less Premier League experience than GON when he joined Arsenal and was what you call a 'dip**** novice', that didn't seem to matter much to the players. So was Mourinho when he was picked to manage Benfica in 2000. Someone else who had that same thing levelled at him was Arrigo Saachi when he was appointed to take over AC Milan. He went on to create one of the all time great sides. as a counter point, Peter Shilton, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard, three players with the best CV's you could imagine and all the respect in the world have all been utter failures as mangers.

But rather than support a young and upcoming manager you would rather have an old, has-been dinosaur. A total busted flush who has completely failed in his last two jobs.

Btw, this ****test Liverpool team in recent memory, is this the same Liverpool who have won 4 and drew 1 of their first 5 games beating Villa and Newcastle? Who started with Salah, Jota and Gakpo up front and brought on Diaz and Nunez?

But as you say - losers bread loosing. Are you sure that isn't you 3 unconnected words password?

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree. Our recent actions were forced on us by a manager who only thought of us as a small time club.
It was our actions as a small time club to remove the promised financial backing that caused the manager to leave we all know this however much you want to blame him rather than the club.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We would have done better hiring Dyche the day after Lage was sacked than waiting for JL in the end.
The outside the box thinking was seen trying to appoint that Beale fella and giving Davies a shout to see if he was up to the senior job.
Why Dyche?

He was incredibly fortunate to keep Everton up - one excellent performance at Brighton aside.

Every chance we would have gone down under him rather than appointing JL.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree. Our recent actions were forced on us by a manager who only thought of us as a small time club.

That is the crux. You think Lopetegui forced us into higher season ticket prices, a big negative Summer net spend, a rusting stadium and replacing him with Gary O’Neil. I think it is the owners who have decided to have another ‘famine’ Summer and aim for 17th.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why Dyche?

He was incredibly fortunate to keep Everton up - one excellent performance at Brighton aside.

Every chance we would have gone down under him rather than appointing JL.
An example of someone who was available(I think?) I guess, and personally I don't think we would have gone down. I think it was glorius mismanagement that had us at the bottom, and part of that was having no PL backroom team for 8-9 games. He had 10 years at Burnley before they went down. There are a fair few off the Mendes roster I would have taken too.
Regardless of whether you think Lopetegui was going to take us into Europe, was told a bunch of lies, or was gonna jump ship at the first opportunity how this whole thing has played out has been pretty damaging to the club. Personally, I didn't see masses of good football, fantastic transfer decisions, a myriad of wonderful tactical decisions that got the best out of a good squad + 8 new players. It was all to come apparently.
Maybe it was coming and we'd be in europe, maybe it wasn't but as it is i think the reputation to the club has taken a massive hit. Lopetegui was Jeff's guy and I think Jeff should now go. We held out 8 weeks for him and its ended up in a situation where he wanted to leave 2 weeks before the season, whatever the reason.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
SSo
Gary should go back to walking his XL Bully around some estate in south London in his trackie with his “I’m ten and love me hair gel, me” buzz cut whilst we get someone else in who knows what the **** they are doing. It’ s clear. It’s obvious to every **** that has ever watched a football match. This guy makes terrys clipboard look ****ing competent.

The fans have no respect for him. The players have no respect for him. And why should they?! Done nothing. Been nowhere. And achieved absolutely ****ing zilch. This is not the Wolverhampton Sunday league. But somehow we have managed to put an absolute dip **** novice in charge of a premier league football teams .

I would rather take big Sam at this point that some overly hair gelled chav looking twerp who says we cant compete with the ****test liverpool team on n recent memory, without most of their key players, cos he is looking for an excuse. We competed before you, Gary loser. We will compete after you, Gary loser. Total dross loser of a manager. And losers bread loosing.

Gary out
So, you wouldn't give him your last rolo, then?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is the crux. You think Lopetegui forced us into higher season ticket prices, a big negative Summer net spend, a rusting stadium and replacing him with Gary O’Neil. I think it is the owners who have decided to have another ‘famine’ Summer and aim for 17th.
No, I think Lopetegui quit 2 weeks before the start of the season, leading us to need to find a replacement, in two weeks, at the start of the season. I also think he never really wanted the job.
I think spending 45 million on Cunha in January made a massive difference to the budget we have available. Also, I think the 6-0 performance against Brighton is the worst performance I've seen at Wolves bar none.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who cares?
You can have a season ticket and go to every away game but You don't support wolves if you think we're a small time club.
Well fosun clearly think we are a small town club by appointing GO……

as he was nearly sacked in feb for poor results, but survived to be sacked at the end of the season by a team we finished higher than last season.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

as he was nearly sacked in feb for poor results, but survived to be sacked at the end of the season by a team we finished higher than last season.
I don't buy that. With Lage and O'Neill and even Beale if we had him they clearly wanted to pick someone on their way up, someone Whether it ends up foolish or not is another matter, but I'm not seeing a massive step down from what we had at the end of last season so far. Hell we couldn't even beat Luton in pre-season, despite dominating.
I don't think we were right to sack Nuno, but I think it was done out of ambition rather than anything else.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't buy that. With Lage and O'Neill and even Beale if we had him they clearly wanted to pick someone on their way up, someone Whether it ends up foolish or not is another matter, but I'm not seeing a massive step down from what we had at the end of last season so far. Hell we couldn't even beat Luton in pre-season, despite dominating.
I don't think we were right to sack Nuno, but I think it was done out of ambition rather than anything else.
O Neil for me isn’t on the way up. He is on the “never will” he showed at Bournemouth that he is very basic and the same issues and behaviours are being shown here.

There are other managers who are “on the way up” but they were in jobs.

They only took o neil because he was free and the salary was cheap. Simple as that, you can’t say he set the league on fire with their approach and play as they were worse to watch than we were and conceded way more shots on target. So there is no reason to have taken him based on the audition he had the season before where in a boxing sense they got punched in the face for 11 of 12 rounds and when the opponent is gassed in the third knocks them out with a graze in the 12 lol. Look at the game at our place, they made us look like prime Barca and scored a weird deflection that he couldn’t score again in a million attempts.

We played our second string against their first team in the Luton game, you cite that but not the fact we murdered Rennes at molineux a week after they butchered Forest and West Ham……. Oh and drew with champions of Scotland and champions league team Celtic…… please don’t omit the good of pre-season and focus on one draw with a reserve team out…. But disingenuous to how good the pre-season was.

Also last half of last season we were the 10th best team in the league….. so it is definitely worse and a massive step down from last half of the season. We have conceded 3 or more in 3 games out of five under GO, we did 4 in 24 with JL….. that ratio alone tells you just how bad this season is going and how badly this manager is failing.

But I will give you that both Beale and were managers perceived to be on the up so I can see the thinking there. But sorry GO was a brain dead appointment as there was no outrage or any sadness from their fanbase to see him sacked only the ex-pro union and writers jumped behind him as he is English. If he was foreign I doubt we would have seen him in the prem ever again.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You make a good point in your first sentence. A young and upcoming manager is likely to cost far less than a high profile one as a matter of course. Doesn't mean they are less capable, just that they can't yet command the kind of wages a Klopp or Pep can. Managers of that ilk i.e Klopp or Pep, are also used to a certain level of spending year on year that we can't yet sustain as a club. GON is far happier to work within the financial constraints imposed, whether by FFP or by ownership that want a return on their investment than Lopetegui was. That doesn't mean he was employed because the expectation was that he will perform worse than Lopetegui.

loppers86

Reaction score
Are these in the main those players who were bottom of the league for so long last season, or are they players bought since then?
Who coached those players into a high press line they're struggling with?
Don't beat GON up for walking into a total mess, give him some slack to sort it.
the only mess he walked into was the maelstrom of omni-incompetence that is presided over by Jeff and never-achieved-anything-at-all-ever Hobbs. He immediately joined it and, amazingly, made
it much, much worse.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the only mess he walked into was the maelstrom of omni-incompetence that is presided over by Jeff and never-achieved-anything-at-all-ever Hobbs. He immediately joined it and, amazingly, made
it much, much worse.
11 goals conceded against arsenal and Brighton loppers. Sure nothing was going wrong.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Using your own yardstick, we can say that Fosun were aiming high by hiring JL. If you are a small time club you wouldn’t have hired him and his many assistants.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Using your own yardstick, we can say that Fosun were aiming high by hiring JL. If you are a small time club you wouldn’t have hired him and his many assistants.
They were certainly aiming high then and it was paying off. Unfortunately for whatever reason the strategy changed and they were aiming much lower with this years target to just stay up.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we are a small time club.
you can tell that by the appointment of probably the smallest time manager a club in the premier league has ever had. this to go with the smallest time DOF in history.
Yet another mind blowing time to look into the history books post from loppers!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A manager doesn't have to have a glittering CV to command respect. Arsene Wenger had less Premier League experience than GON when he joined Arsenal and was what you call a 'dip**** novice', that didn't seem to matter much to the players. So was Mourinho when he was picked to manage Benfica in 2000. Someone else who had that same thing levelled at him was Arrigo Saachi when he was appointed to take over AC Milan. He went on to create one of the all time great sides. as a counter point, Peter Shilton, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard, three players with the best CV's you could imagine and all the respect in the world have all been utter failures as mangers.
The comparison with Wenger is laughable. Wenger may not have been a household name in the Premier League, but he'd been a manager for 12 years and had won trophies in France and Japan, including Ligue Un with Monaco. Wenger also brought a bunch of French players along with him to anchor the change, including Petit, Vieira and Remi Garde. That helped counter any resistance the English players had.

Mourinho had no management experience - that's true - but he had worked under Bobby Robson and Louie Van Gaal for ten years before he got that job. I'd feel far more comfortable with 0'Neil if he had worked under managers held in such high esteem over a prolonged period, but he hasn't. He hasn't even played under managers that you'd be happy he's learned things from - Tony Pulis and Harry Redknapp are as good as it gets, and whilst it doesn't mean everything, if you speak to any successful coach they will always point to people they've worked under as highly influential.

Saachi is a better comparison, but he's the exception not the rule, and football has changed immeasurably since then.

Success in management isn't black and white, it's shades of grey. 0'Neil just doesn't seem to really have any of the ingredients other than a vaguely successful portion of a season when he was fortunate to land heavy investment in January and be competing against sides seemingly hell bent on capitulating. Credit where credit is due, that doesn't detract from the job he did at Bournemouth, but to expect him to have that level of success again this season is unfair and unrealistic.

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we are a small time club.
you can tell that by the appointment of probably the smallest time manager a club in the premier league has ever had. this to go with the smallest time DOF in history.
Steve Kean -Blackburn
John Carver - Newcastle
Bob Bradley - Swansea
Tony Adams - Portsmouth
Remi Garde - Villa
Les Reed - Charlton
Jan Siewert - Huddersfield
Steve Wigley - Southampton
Alan Pardew - Tesco’s
Frank de Boer - Palace
Paul Jewell - Derby
Terry Connor - Guess Who?

There are plenty of examples of managers if you take the time to look!

I might look into DOF’s as well, but I’ll leave that to you!

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An example of someone who was available(I think?) I guess, and personally I don't think we would have gone down. I think it was glorius mismanagement that had us at the bottom, and part of that was having no PL backroom team for 8-9 games. He had 10 years at Burnley before they went down. There are a fair few off the Mendes roster I would have taken too.
Regardless of whether you think Lopetegui was going to take us into Europe, was told a bunch of lies, or was gonna jump ship at the first opportunity how this whole thing has played out has been pretty damaging to the club. Personally, I didn't see masses of good football, fantastic transfer decisions, a myriad of wonderful tactical decisions that got the best out of a good squad + 8 new players. It was all to come apparently.
Maybe it was coming and we'd be in europe, maybe it wasn't but as it is i think the reputation to the club has taken a massive hit. Lopetegui was Jeff's guy and I think Jeff should now go. We held out 8 weeks for him and its ended up in a situation where he wanted to leave 2 weeks before the season, whatever the reason.
I totally agree that the club’s reputation has taken a massive hit with the JL situation and as you say Shi chased this guy for years and then sees him go after only months in the job so should be looking to go move on too.
Yes some away performances were poor under JL, but the points picked up at home were also impressive as were the number of clean sheets.
I think most of us expected to see an improvement in performances this season if he had stayed as he wasn’t playing catch up from day one. Who knows how this would have played out.
There are so many stories / rumours from both sides of the fence and while I find it hard to believe that Jeff didn’t make some significant promises to JL before he agreed to join us, I also feel JL could certainly have handled the situation much better too. Whether he wanted to be here is open to debate.
I do think the club’s reputation has only been hit further with the move to GON though. It is a massive drop off to go from a manager with such experience and relative success to one who has managed for half a season and then been sacked from the club he was with.
While it isn’t Gary’s fault, he doesn’t exude the same confidence or demeanour of JL or Nuno and the appointments as his assistants seem uninspiring too.
I respect your standpoint in defending GON and your confidence in us staying up this season.
I still think it was a very poor appointment and only pushes us closer to relegation.
That said I very much hope he proves me wrong.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were aiming high, but like the goal posts Jeff loves to move (allegedly) so has their standards in regards to recruitment and their aspirations.

Hiring GO screams; cheap salary’s for him and his guys, I bet he didn’t argue a break clause that many refuse also, easy to control and manipulate as he has zero big club experience.

This was a pray to finish 4th bottom appointment and that is only small time and small club tactics from the heights we once hit with two great 7th place finishes.

They changed their approach and vision it happens, shame they upped the prices on us “local fans” to be served this load of ****e!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I often wonder whether I'm on a Wolves supporters forum sometimes.

Some of the posts about our manager and owners are absolutely vile.
obviously we are emotionally chained to Wolves and we get frustrated and disappointed but, I agree, some of the posts are disrespectful and OTT.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were aiming high, but like the goal posts Jeff loves to move (allegedly) so has their standards in regards to recruitment and their aspirations.

Hiring GO screams; cheap salary’s for him and his guys, I bet he didn’t argue a break clause that many refuse also, easy to control and manipulate as he has zero big club experience.

This was a pray to finish 4th bottom appointment and that is only small time and small club tactics from the heights we once hit with two great 7th place finishes.

They changed their approach and vision it happens, shame they upped the prices on us “local fans” to be served this load of ****e!
Hold on…stick to the point, which was that you said Wolves proved they are small time club by hiring Gary.
But if we use your logic, then Wolves are not a small club because they hired JL..
Thats all I was saying.
The rest of your post is immaterial to that point and therefore I just glanced over it.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Hold on…stick to the point, which was that you said Wolves proved they are small time club by hiring Gary.
But if we use your logic, then Wolves are not a small club because they hired JL..
Thats all I was saying.
The rest of your post is immaterial to that point and therefore I just glanced over it.
I don't know what's so hard to grasp.

In January I was telling everyone to stop moaning about Fosun, we'd just appointed a top class coach, with a great backroom and made some excellent signings. With some trimming of the old guard and a few more smart buys we'd have been looking at a top half finish. We were a club behaving like a second tier Premier League club.

By May the goalposts had shifted and we were obviously (in retrospect) looking not just for a transfer profit, but a massive one. The coach knew this and bailed. The fat and some of the lean was trimmed off the squad and we didn't get anyone in until Nunes went too (still only spending less than half of that money). We appointed a very inexperienced coach, who some people seem to think might come good despite the fact that he seems to be out-thought in game every week currently. We behaved like a bottom 6 team, which is what we now are.

So we are a middle ranking PL club who behaved like we were trying to aim high, then like we were trying to survive. The main problem being that if your aim is survival, you don't have to miss by much for disaster to strike (not to mention the weekly grind of defeats).

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats all I was saying.
They changed how they see the club, I said they did see us as a big club hiring JL. Realised big manager means pressure to spend, actually being held accountable

Jl leaves

They then CHANGED how they see the club and how the level the recruited to that of a small club.

They changed their vision, ambition for the club and view of the size of it by going “small club”

Pretty simple to understand….. business change their approach, strategy and vision all the time to suit themselves, this is another one of those cases clearly.

This point was clearly made, if you don’t see that in the first post or that explanation then I give up as you don’t understand how business strategy and business operations/visions change

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you're right - Wolves were aiming high with the appt of JL and his signings in January. I think JL was still on board until the season ended. The interesting period was Feb - May. What actually happened behind the scenes and what is truth and what is fiction is cloudy at best. Something happened that turned big-time thinking almost overnight into pretty much the opposite. FFP, Fosun financial pressures, whatever, but the tap got turned off and as they say the rest is history and we lost a top man and got GON. In this thread I was interested particularly in whether we could feasibly have got anyone else or were there short-term options that could have worked? From the responses thus far it seems unlikely/impossible. Welcome GON!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steve Kean -Blackburn
John Carver - Newcastle
Bob Bradley - Swansea
Tony Adams - Portsmouth
Remi Garde - Villa
Les Reed - Charlton
Jan Siewert - Huddersfield
Steve Wigley - Southampton
Alan Pardew - Tesco’s
Frank de Boer - Palace
Paul Jewell - Derby
Terry Connor - Guess Who?

There are plenty of examples of managers if you take the time to look!

I might look into DOF’s as well, but I’ll leave that to you!
Gary 0'Neil is definitely looking at home in that group of nomarks!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They changed how they see the club, I said they did see us as a big club hiring JL. Realised big manager means pressure to spend, actually being held accountable

Jl leaves

They then CHANGED how they see the club and how the level the recruited to that of a small club.

They changed their vision, ambition for the club and view of the size of it by going “small club”

Pretty simple to understand….. business change their approach, strategy and vision all the time to suit themselves, this is another one of those cases clearly.

This point was clearly made, if you don’t see that in the first post or that explanation then I give up as you don’t understand how business strategy and business operations/visions change
You have no idea if they changed their vision or plans……your only guessing.

It’s kinda like when you go on an important business trip but your flight gets cancelled, (JL leaves).

You don‘t just give up and go home like some immature teenager. No, you deal with it, adapt, you find a different carrier, (Gary), and carry on as your original business plan is still worth pursuing.
No change of long term strategy……just a different way of getting there.

Onwards and upwards

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s kinda like when you go on an important business trip but your flight gets cancelled, (JL leaves).

You don‘t just give up and go home like some immature teenager. No, you deal with it, adapt, you find a different carrier, (Gary), and carry on as your original business plan is still worth pursuing.

Onwards and upwards
It's a great analogy, but I think some see JL as Concorde and Gary as a carrier pigeon, with a dodgy compass and only one wing.
In all seriousness the polar opposites are rarely where the truth lies in life, its usually in the middle....somewhere

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you're right - Wolves were aiming high with the appt of JL and his signings in January. I think JL was still on board until the season ended. The interesting period was Feb - May. What actually happened behind the scenes and what is truth and what is fiction is cloudy at best. Something happened that turned big-time thinking almost overnight into pretty much the opposite. FFP, Fosun financial pressures, whatever, but the tap got turned off and as they say the rest is history and we lost a top man and got GON. In this thread I was interested particularly in whether we could feasibly have got anyone else or were there short-term options that could have worked? From the responses thus far it seems unlikely/impossible. Welcome GON!
Agree except that I don’t think the tap got turned off as opposed to used up for that year.
Tap is still there and we’ll see it open in Jan……..I hope/presume.

Still there’s no denying that Wolves are in a pickle and it might be another nail biter til the finish line. And if anybody bumps the “Will you take 17th. now” thread, my answer would be an absolute yes.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Onwards and upwards
Gary o neil isn’t upwards from JL lol

Back
Top Bottom