Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Manager chat

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
5 days before our next game so plenty of time for banter/ chit chat! Seeing the Warnock thread got me thinking when JL walked out 4 days before the season kicked off did the Club have other options than going for GON? (Please don't use this thread as an opportunity to slag off GON). I'm wondering if there could have been some 'out of the box' thinking to get us through in the short term - a Warnock type (was there someone?) to come in at short notice on a 1 year contract? An available foreign manager (a Benetez or a Bielsa for example) again on a 1 year contract to see how they do? Or even more wild, an ex-Wolves player who could do a job, say till Xmas, - Bully with say Dave Edwards?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
To be fair, given the suggestions of a Warnock 'type' or offering Benitez or Bielsa a one year contract or asking Bully or Dave Edwards to have a go I'd say maybe auto-correct has decided you must mean ****-chat?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's been blanked out again!? I'm trying to type '* hit', 1st letter 'c'. As in **** chat!

• chit-chat. verb [ I ] informal uk. Your browser doesn't support HTML5 audio. / ˈtʃɪt.tʃæt / us. Your browser doesn't support HTML5 audio. / ˈtʃɪt.tʃæt /. to talk informally about matters that are not important: We were just chit-chatting about this and that.

Maybe you didn't know about the secret hyphen that allows you into the kingdom of the woke.
OOps neither do I.:D

Madmalc

Reaction score
Just may be given the earlier strops that JLo launched, far more than one candidate was considered and approached.
It could be that the current incumbent of the role of Wolves Manager showed a greater willingness to be here as well as a greater understanding of just how long it will take to extricate us from our current predicament.
That's not to knock any other managers out there.
I'm just hoping for a ten year plus build into the greatness of the past, for our future.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
The club should always be scouting for managers, and have a constant shortlist of them.
I think you’re getting us confused with a well run club, with a long term strategy of the type and identifiable style of football looking at managers who fit that footballing profile.

Instead our management recruitment appears to consist of seeing which unemployed managers who are a dab hand at a good PowerPoint presentation that are available at the time.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think there was anyone that would have fitted the Teams man approach that Fosun would want after lopetegui called them out .

The thing is as I said before if we had no manager at the moment who would we get in that is any better ?.

As they want a yes man so anyone with ambition that would want cash to sign players isn't going to want to work under Fosun as it's a farce the way it's run isn't really .

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
5 days before our next game so plenty of time for banter/ chit chat! Seeing the Warnock thread got me thinking when JL walked out 4 days before the season kicked off did the Club have other options than going for GON? (Please don't use this thread as an opportunity to slag off GON). I'm wondering if there could have been some 'out of the box' thinking to get us through in the short term - a Warnock type (was there someone?) to come in at short notice on a 1 year contract? An available foreign manager (a Benetez or a Bielsa for example) again on a 1 year contract to see how they do? Or even more wild, an ex-Wolves player who could do a job, say till Xmas, - Bully with say Dave Edwards?
It is believed Frank lampard and Dean smith were also of consideration for the role.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We did have the chance to choose other options, but they decided it was this bloke before Lopetegui walked. As a club, they chose to go down this path.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, given the suggestions of a Warnock 'type' or offering Benitez or Bielsa a one year contract or asking Bully or Dave Edwards to have a go I'd say maybe auto-correct has decided you must mean ****-chat?
AI swear filter, bod and Mutchy are playing 4d chess with us now!!!

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm happy with G ON , we were brilliant first half against Liverpool...but McKenna at Ipswich should have been a target

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
We all seem to have mr O’Neil as a man who is just a yes man in order to learn his trade at this level. Maybe he will grow into the job but it seems strange we’ve gone down the route of who he has brought in at coaching level. Fosun don’t seem to have pushed any boats out in making the decision, a yes man with little experience in order to “survive like Bournemouth did”. It’s a gamble, a cheap option, so why not someone like Will Still? Is GoN just a safer option? Elite managers don’t always connect with the club, suppose we all want that connection with team, fans and manager like we had with Nuno. I reckon we will know around November whether we will be right in the scrap again, or just above relegation level, only then can we think about another change, then it will either be an experienced manager or a risky one that could get us promoted again.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly off track, but always wondered how much JL's entourage cost on a monthly basis, as there was a fair few assembled around that dugout (not saying they didn't have important role by the way).

I bet the figure was frightening compared to what we're probably shelling out now for Mr O'Neil's assistants.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Slightly off track, but always wondered how much JL's entourage cost on a monthly basis, as there was a fair few assembled around that dugout (not saying they didn't have important role by the way).

I bet the figure was frightening compared to what we're probably shelling out now for Mr O'Neil's assistants.
Oh yes, definitely paying peanuts now comparatively. Question is only whether we've got monkeys.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being reported on Football Insider (I know) today that Rob Edwards was considered.

Basically we looked at anyone cheap with the aim of staying in the division.

Yduti

Groupie
Reaction score
Even if oneil gets sacked hobbs will appoint a english manager probably a cheap one from championship he is getting us relegated with these appointments he doesn’t like foreign managers

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know I started the thread but it's becoming so ****ing depressing. We have become so small-time in such a short period of time; it's unbelieveable. From European competitors to relegation candidates in about 24 months - only ****ing Wolves. From reading the posts on here it seems clear Shi knew JL would leave many weeks before he actually did and that a conscious decision was made to replace him with a cheap option; again unbelieveable. If it was any other club I'd say in these circumstances it serves you right if you go down but this is Wolves, this is my club, and I want better than this for my club.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being reported on Football Insider (I know) today that Rob Edwards was considered.

Basically we looked at anyone cheap with the aim of staying in the division.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would love to see (or maybe I wouldn't) the list of candidates the board had when it was likely / clear that JL wasn't going to remain as our manager.
Even if it was a straight "no", I'd kind of been pleased if we'd at least sounded the likes of Potter out.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if oneil gets sacked hobbs will appoint a english manager probably a cheap one from championship he is getting us relegated with these appointments he doesn’t like foreign managers
I think he’s going to find himself getting the sack if he’s not careful.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think our lot have the ability or desire to be that forward thinking. Look at the debacle after they chucked Bruno Lage.

I think it was more a question of who could they get in quickly and cheaply. It fitted Hobbs vision very well.

Madmalc

Reaction score
My thoughts on the fact we're on our 5th Manager/ Head coach since gaining promotion to the Premier league for the 2018/19 season, probably means we've spent more on getting rid of managers and their staff, than a couple of truly World class strikers would have set us back.

Yet it seems a lot of mixers would like us to shorten the tenancy of any incoming Managers to less than half a season.

If we continually chuck money up the wall on payoffs for Managers who insist on bringing their own backroom staff including family members, we'll never have the money to buy a truly World Class striker.

I am also left wondering if our latest record signing had hit the ground running and bagged even half a dozen goals last season, would JLo have been given more financial backing? Afterall the last record signing was at his insistence, and they're still adapting to the Premier League, this season.

For me it's good riddance to the multi-million (£) merry-go-round of imported managers, their staffs and must have first signings.
Say Hello to a bit of realism, here comes hopefully a slow sustainable build, as the wheels clearly came off the quick fix try ons.

The current manager has picked up the dirty end of the stick, they didn't dirty the stick, support them, don't throw past mistakes they didn't make at them.

Last edited:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had another quick look through this thread and I'm sensing, certainly among certain posters, there may have actually been some plan to all this? When JL showed his disquiet the Club had 2 options - 1. they ignored JL's threat to leave and thought he probably would not carry it out, or 2. more likely imo, they thought he would go and therefore had some managers lined up (Lampard, Smith, GON). I personally think JL wanted out and Shi was happy that JL having achieved his aim, to keep us up, and that JL was most probably a right pain in the **** re: players, money, etc Shi told Hobbs to let him go and get somebody, anybody in asap. Sounds bonkers to me that Shi was prepared to let a top manager go but none of us know what things were like behind the scenes; pretty dire I expect. If, as seems likely, Shi knew he could never come to some agreement with JL soon after the season finished that left 11 weeks to get things in place for a new guy to come in. And this leads me back to the point of this thread, surely there were options, certainly short-term options , even 'off the wall' options over the summer better than GON?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I took JL’s appointment and hiring his many assistants as a very serious indication that Fosun were very serious about improving Wolves .
Plus getting Guedes and Nunes etc in the last few windows I considered as positive moves.

However, sometimes the best laid plans go sideways:(:(:(:mad:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had another quick look through this thread and I'm sensing, certainly among certain posters, there may have actually been some plan to all this? When JL showed his disquiet the Club had 2 options - 1. they ignored JL's threat to leave and thought he probably would not carry it out, or 2. more likely imo, they thought he would go and therefore had some managers lined up (Lampard, Smith, GON). I personally think JL wanted out and Shi was happy that JL having achieved his aim, to keep us up, and that JL was most probably a right pain in the **** re: players, money, etc Shi told Hobbs to let him go and get somebody, anybody in asap. Sounds bonkers to me that Shi was prepared to let a top manager go but none of us know what things were like behind the scenes; pretty dire I expect. If, as seems likely, Shi knew he could never come to some agreement with JL soon after the season finished that left 11 weeks to get things in place for a new guy to come in. And this leads me back to the point of this thread, surely there were options, certainly short-term options , even 'off the wall' options over the summer better than GON?
I don’t doubt that Wolves went to a lot of trouble and expense to finally get a yes from JL. Jeff and all the Wolves mgt. probably did a high five when JL confirmed he would take the job.

Therefore, I doubt Jeff wanted to lose a coach of JL’s caliber.

Once traitor JL was leaving, Wolves probably had to scramble to find a coach who was available and was interested.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom