Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Magic Number Thread 2017/18

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going to bump this up, as this is reality and it will drop slowly but surely until it is done. Forget all your pie in the sky predictions, this is fact. well done marrs

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going to bump this up, as this is reality and it will drop slowly but surely until it is done. Forget all your pie in the sky predictions, this is fact. well done marrs
Agreed Burton, and I'm hoping the number drops again tomorrow with the vile dropping points.

Fuse

Reaction score
The magic number is now within our current PPG target. We need 34 from 15 games for the title (2.27ppg) and our form over the season has been 71 from 31 (2.29ppg). Maintain our season long form to date and the title is guaranteed ours!

wolvesdb

Groupie
Reaction score
After tonights matches it is still 31, but at least Derby lost tonight.

S

ShropshireLad

I've just loved looking at the table these last couple of months and it keeps getting better.

D

Deleted member 6526

Having to reach 102pts to be guaranteed is still a big ask. 2.07 PPG required for our remaining games. Only one club has a PPG over 2 and that's us obviously. Of course that would only be required in a perfect storm. I am very confident, but the magic number thread somehow makes me less so, is it just me?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having to reach 102pts to be guaranteed is still a big ask. 2.07 PPG required for our remaining games. Only one club has a PPG over 2 and that's us obviously. Of course that would only be required in a perfect storm. I am very confident, but the magic number thread somehow makes me less so, is it just me?
Think you can relax a bit. It's based on the others winning every remaining game and I will frankly stand in awe if Villa win 22 in a row!! Anyway Villa still play Cardiff and Derby so no 2 of the chasers can win every game which reduces the number for promotion a little (by 2 I think).

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a heads-up that the magic number will not alter tonight regardless of Villa's result because - at present - it still requires Derby and/or Cardiff to drop points to change.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon 100 points should be enough for promotion, don't you?
He's talking pure maths not probability. Don't forget the magic number is comprised of points we need to gain added to the points our closest rivals drop.

Mr Chad

Groupie
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that last night's result made no difference to the points needed for promotion and its still 29 ?
I'm trying to follow this myself, but I'm not sure my getting it right. I think if Cardiff and Derby both beat Villa, they can both still get 100 points.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that last night's result made no difference to the points needed for promotion and its still 29 ?
I'm trying to follow this myself, but I'm not sure my getting it right. I think if Cardiff and Derby both beat Villa, they can both still get 100 points.

Yeah, think @marrs-guitar said last night that the result last night wouldn't change the number. But today's results might!

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Derby can't get as many point ts as Villa (in 3rd) could have before they dropped 2 pts yesterday, so surely the number for promotion should come down by 1? number for title stays the same

my mistake I think.
(teams still have to play each other, so it might be right ? for villa to get their max, cardiff would drop points so numbers are OK

Last edited:

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Wolves still have to play those teams?

I believe we'll go up but it might not be by the point spread some are predicting.
magic number assumes we will lose those i.e. other teams get the maximum pts they can.

Mr Chad

Groupie
Reaction score
Yeah, think @marrs-guitar said last night that the result last night wouldn't change the number. But today's results might!

Thanks, must have not seen Marrs' post.
Hopefully, the figure will come down by at least 3 tonight. Intuitively, it could come down by more if either Cardiff or Derby drop points but I thought that last night as well until I sat and worked it out again :confused:. I should probably just wait for Marrs to update the figures, but I get impatient :)

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Wolves get 96 points (7w 3d 4L):

Derby must finish 12w 2d 0L
Villa must finish 12w 0d 1L
Cardiff must finish 11w 2d1L

And they play each other (and us)

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Wolves get 96 points (7w 3d 4L):

Derby must finish 12w 2d 0L
Villa must finish 12w 0d 1L
Cardiff must finish 11w 2d1L

And they play each other (and us)

That proves that it’s virtually impossible to lose out unless we hit lower than relegation form.

T

that bloke there

I've found myself singing bits of this recently, and it's all your fault, even if it's magic not lucky.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After Fulham 2 Wolves 0, Sheffield Wed 2 Aston Villa 4

No change, still 27 points from the target

Back
Top Bottom