Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Luton verdict

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
F63Y7lNXoAAaOev
Add to that we have the highest xG against in the league.
So we’re never in the opposition box, and are giving up plenty of high quality chances.
Sounds good that. Real recipe for success.

bigwolf

Reaction score
Nunes wasn't really up for it at Wolves. I suspect he'll show his world class potential at City. Neves was the main loss but I think we have some decent players in midfield now.

I still maintain that on paper we are a mid table team. Or rather we would more likely be if we could score goals! Whether GON is the man to bring the best out of these players I don't know. I didn't like the fact that he didn't recognise Neto's bit of brilliance but was vocal about how he's trying to coach the craziness out of the group when referring to the red card. But then that's probably just me.

He's coaching moure out of the team than just the craziness.

King Henry VIII

Groupie
Reaction score
Add to that we have the highest xG against in the league.
So we’re never in the opposition box, and are giving up plenty of high quality chances.
Sounds good that. Real recipe for success.
Also, according to the stats posted here the other day we are the second busiest in terms of combined tackles and interceptions.

It's worrying to think that we could make so many defensive actions and still give up so many chances. It suggests a real weakness in our organisation. We seem to be working so very hard to little effect.

Last edited:

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t that because they were 2 up so had no need to be looking for another goal and instead just used game management?
Perhaps.
Similarly don’t you think we were always going to be content with a draw after the sending off?

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you don't laugh you'll cry. As fans everyone should be absolutely livid at this, the ownership have let us slip so far in the last few years.

We went down to 10 last season against Southampton and looked like we were competing on a level playing field. Can't exactly blame the players since (bar Neves) the line up was worse than that at the weekend!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
nunes had a great game for city against forest the through balls etc, eugh

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The story of the game, and why we shouldn't be as disappointed as we are with the team or manager:

Fantastic analysis.
Makes a lot of sense.
I can now see why we set up as we did, if we were justified to expect them to have a front 2. I remember our 343 used to mostly work well against 442 type teams.

Also you make a great justification for doc coming in at lwb; that was something I thought seemed strange…..

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
The story of the game, and why we shouldn't be as disappointed as we are with the team or manager:

I had the same sort of thoughts when I watched the match - particularly after reviewing it carefully on replay. In the first 15 minutes or so, I noticed a couple of things:

(1) we turned the ball over carelessly a couple of times, including flat out dribbling it out of bounds. We also made a couple of badly advised long passes and Semedo cleared one right to Morris that led to the long shot off the post. This allowed Luton to retain possession of the ball more than we would have liked. Which led to...

(2) Luton gaining confidence and getting the crowd into the game with some early chances and aggressive play. We should have known that Luton would be keyed up for this game and come out of the blocks aggressively. The players just didn't perform to retain the ball a bit and take some sting out the early minutes.

(3) A 4-2-3-1 is a perfectly fine formation to counter a 5-3-2 that Luton has used this year; however, the wider 3-4-3 means that our wingers are essential in pinning the wingbacks back into their own halves. The fullback also needs to stay at home a bit more so that we don't get outnumbered on the back line. Like you said, Semedo kept getting caught up field and Dawson was forced to defend in space out wide with Lemina dropping into the box to cover the space behind Dawson.

To his credit, O'Neill changed things up right around 15-18' and we saw Neto tracking back a bit more to stop the runs up our right flank - and then make another change a few minutes later, switching Neto with Hwang. After these changes at around 25', we had our first spell with the ball and began getting a foothold in the game. We had taken the sting out the initial flurry by Luton and began playing on the front foot. The (soft) red card received by Bellegarde (when we were attacking Luton again) completely rearranged the game. Playing with 10 men is very demanding on the team, especially on the attackers as they have more defensive duties, but also have to spring counter-attacks when the opportunity arises. Without the incorrect penalty ruling, I don't think Luton scores in that second half and we escape with a 1-0 win and three points. But, any time you scrape any points after going down to 10 men in the first half, then I think you can call it a successful outcome, especially on the road. I didn't see any problems with GON's subs either - he kept Neto on as the biggest speed threat to keep Luton's CBs honest, rather than bring on Sasa--I can see the logic. Traore brought some much needed energy and I thought he played decently. RAN played well defensively clearing at least two, maybe three back post crosses; but I can see why we brought in Doc for a bit on that side.

I'm disappointed that the boys played poorly in those opening minutes and not getting all three points. And Semedo had a pretty awful game, too. But they fought hard the rest of the game with 10 men and GON was working proactively throughout the game to bring home at least a point. Zero points would have been disastrous.

Seriously though, why do the refs shaft the Wolves? This has been consistent for the past two years and we haven't caught any breaks in return - that can't be coincidence.

SevernWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Good to see some balanced analysis on her rather than the usual hysteria. I have some serious doubts about GON, but the number of armchair managers who think they could do a better job and think they know the players better than the coaches who work with them all week is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom