Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Luton verdict

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I agree. O’Neill’s expectations are low (namely let’s get a point at Luton) whereas Edward’s seem even lower (fail to win the most winnable game of the season and celebrate like we won the league)
It was two very poor teams, but down to ten men and with some of the refereeing decisions, I think Gary is probably happier with a point than Rob. We will need to be much, much better to have a chance of staying up. But at least we have a chance.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Cunha despite his brilliance is a bit of an issue. As good as he is, its like we cant get him to fit in our system.
He’s a bit of a luxury for me right now. Lovely footballer and clearly talented but I’d happily sacrifice him to get Sasa in the team, and/or and extra defender.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun have put us through some **** these past 3 years.

I wish they'd do us a favour and find us a nice new sensible owner who wants to make the fans proud to support the team. Instead we get to scrape by year after year due to abysmal use of funds.

Watching sports is supposed to be a fun pass time but it's getting more difficult by the week. You can take a loss to the big boys, but to perform like we did today against Luton should be unimaginable when you compare the two squads.

I wish fosun would do something to repair the relationship with the fans, they could start by getting a proper manager in (like last year), and actually keep him for a bit.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we do that, then where does that leave Bellegarde? Its pretty clear we have turned into United and just buy players now with no thought into where they fit into our system.
Trying to fight back into the team after making a stupid decision to push someone away with his studs. He lost his place in the team today, he needs to earn his way back.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is, I agree , but we are in a dogfight, we are in amongst 6-7 sides who are fighting for their lives and given our squad, I dont think we will go down. The prem is ridiculously strong and we are not a top 10 side, that is not down to GON it's just the reality. Get a result against City ( without Rodri) next week and it's utopia!! I just cannot stand the knee jerk reactions and entitlement of the posters based on a result that was achieved by 10 men.....
Because it’s not knee jerk. Today was the day that just confirmed direction of travel.
Can accept getting slapped by Brighton, can accept getting done by Liverpool (although the inability to react to changes gave them a significant leg-up).
But getting battered for much of the game by Palace? Erm, ok, let’s see if Gary can get a better tune out of them against a very poor Luton.
Then shock, being completely outplayed and smothered by Luton, even at 11v11.

That’s not a knee-jerk. People were fuming when we lost to Huddersfield. But they didn’t ‘outplay’ us to the extent Luton did in that first half, they mostly outran and outmuscled us.
Since then, we’ve signed far more physical midfielders, so we shouldn’t get bullied and bypassed as easily as the Neves-Moutinho axis often could.
Luton didn’t even have to (and really can’t in general) play any even half decent football to utterly smother us in that first half.

That was, up there with the worst collection of performances since we’ve come back up.
Quite possibly worse than getting dicked by Burnley and Leicester. At least 1 of them was a caretaker, but the Burnley humping had more positive play from us than the tripe was saw today.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are all doing it. But Sa's rash distribution has led to a goal two weeks in a row, that's what makes it stand out. Why, with 10 men and 1-0 up, is our goalkeeper quickly rolling the ball out to a player with no support - it's brainless stuff. Completely inexplicable.

Agree, though goalies are often erratic! What I'm saying is that if we were up to scratch elsewhere, it wouldn't matter, because we'd have been a couple of goals up and cruising. The reason we are only 1-0 up and down to 10 men is not Sa's fault. It's the rest of them. And it's not an unfamiliar position, is it? Squad isn't good enough.

How can a £50m striker like Cunha mess up that chance he had against Liverpool last week? Thats inexplicable. How can that same player be invisible and outclassed against a team that is Championship level and everybody knows it? How can Bellegarde thing he can kick a player under the refs nose and get away with it?

Maybe Sa has been told to distribute the ball quickly? That seems more likely than all the other reams of inexplicable failings around the club at the moment.

This is a Luton side that have been penned in their own half every match this season, trying to snatch something. Yet today, they penned us in. You could have prime Buffon and Neuer in goal together for us this season, and we wouldn't have 1 more point than what we already have!

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha despite his brilliance is a bit of an issue. As good as he is, its like we cant get him to fit in our system.
He's always flattered to deceive.

I watched him for several seasons doing very little in the Bundesliga except for the occasional moment of quality over an entire campaign.

I bet Atletico couldn't believe their luck when Shi turned up in January and they got rid of Cunha and 50 million plus that bag of magic beans. He was never likely to be the solution to any struggling teams problems., it's just entirely the wrong fit of player for how you have to battle for points in this league. At best he's the type of player Arsenal bring in for home games against the strugglers after the main XI have just had a Champions League tie.

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we do that, then where does that leave Bellegarde? Its pretty clear we have turned into United and just buy players now with no thought into where they fit into our system.

This , exactly. The only part I'm unsure about is the "now" bit. I think we've been doing it for 3 years at least.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other than a brilliant goal from Neto we were clearly out played by Luton.
We suffered yet again from an awful penalty decision which prevented us getting all three points which to be fair we did not deserve.
Oh dear!

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing players who have no character and fight (excluding neto). Soft as ****e and happy to just exist. Lemina, Gomes, Cunha (42 ACTUAL MILLION POUNDS!!), Semedo, etc, do rarely influence our game positively. The squad is a collection of flaccid penis's, no excitement at all.

Then we have our cabbage manager. Did he win a manager raffle or something. ****ing hell, out of his depth. Walter Zenga, Bruno Lage, Gary O'Neil...unforgivable.

It's depressing, but we've only paid £600+ to see this "premium product". **** Fosun and **** these players.

Man City home next.

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's always flattered to deceive.

I watched him for several seasons doing very little in the Bundesliga except for the occasional moment of quality over an entire campaign.

I bet Atletico couldn't believe their luck when Shi turned up in January and they got rid of Cunha and 50 million plus that bag of magic beans. He was never likely to be the solution to any struggling teams problems., it's just entirely the wrong fit of player for how you have to battle for points in this league. At best he's the type of player Arsenal bring in for home games against the strugglers after the main XI have just had a Champions League tie.

I think Lopetegui clearly had the role in mind for him to be the player to get us up the pitch. He is obviously very good at this and was probably something we really needed last season. He is easily good enough for us if we find the right role for him, but thats not going to be as a goalscorer.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Lopetegui clearly had the role in mind for him to be the player to get us up the pitch. He is obviously very good at this and was probably something we really needed last season. He is easily good enough for us if we find the right role for him, but thats not going to be as a goalscorer.
Cunha was excellent at Fulham last season when playing as one of the front three with Jimenez central and could play off a number 9 too I think. He is simply not a central striker.
The first 25 mins today was just as I expected sadly and we were lucky to still be level. Then it was evident after 2 Luton players went down as if struck by lightning that they were playing to get one of ours sent off.
While Bellegarde was naive , there was no excessive force and Lockyer wouldn't let him get up. There was no stamp as implied by the Luton centre forward, just a get off me kick.
The penalty is simply another atrocious decision which somehow the other officials at VAR have vindicated.
We are in a real dogfight with relegation a definite possibility and seemingly a wish of the PGMOL.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Horrible watch with the most worrying spell being the first 25 mins when we had 11 v 11 and we’re thoroughly outplayed, outthought and outfought by a very limited Luton. No shot in the first half. And that’s not even no shot on target. No shot of any description.

Only positives were Neto who ran himself into ground with no support and scored an absolute worldie. And RAN defended well in the first half (can only assume his removal at half-time was due to an injury).

Thought the move to 3 at the back was correct (as I said in the Comms thread, exactly how I’d have gone) but the Cunha sub took away any element of attacking intent and just invited pressure back onto us. I wanted Traore on but for Gomes who was clearly flagging and then Sasa for Cunha with Neto able to play off him.

Instead, we ended up with Sa repeatedly launching goal-kicks off the floor to Neto who was up against 3 centre-backs and repeatedly giving them the ball back. At the very least, aim for Doherty like we used to do under Nuno.

Ref was awful but doesn’t excuse our performance.

Sa 5
Semedo 5
Dawson 6
Kilman 6
RAN 7
Gomes 6
Lemina 6
Hwang 5
Cunha 5
Neto 8

Toti 6
Doherty 6
Traore 6

Said on the other thread, as much as I hate to say it, I’d already be looking at alternatives. Otherwise I can see us sitting on 10-12 points after 15 games again. But without a JL to save us.

What a mess we’ve made of this Summer.

Good summary ( as usual)
I also thought a switch to 5 at the back was the way to go at half time but Doc on for Semedo and leave RAN on ( if Rayan was injured Bueno should have replaced him).

First 25 was abysmal, shambolic, embarrassing, or any other negative adjective you can think of......
Neto destroyed Liverpool on the left and Hwang scored coming in from the right so in what tactical masterpiece was it decided to start them on opposite flanks???
Not to have a shot in the first half against the bottom team in the league speaks for itself.
I predicted a 0-0 draw and it would have ended that way if not for Neto's individual brilliance ( loved the celebration) and a dubious penalty.
I imagine City will cruise to a 4-0 victory win next week ( Nunes to score) not getting out of 2nd gear.

Sorry Gary but you're out of your depth but who else is there in this situation????? It's going to be a long, painful, depressing season.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d just really love to know what GON was thinking for near on 30 mins after taking Cunha off for Traore and then watching their striker stand on Sa at every opportunity so he couldn’t drop the ball or play short. Sa then proceeding to launch the ball into the clouds in the general direction of Neto only to see it come instantly back at us.

I’ve no idea why we were constantly under the cosh.

I said this to me mate. I am convinced he is undercover for Bournemouth to get us relegated and save their ass.

How the **** that dumb ass o’Neil didn’t get sasa on, especially when they bought a mouth 6ft5+ player on, is unforgivable. Neto was ****ed and the ball would not stick up top.

O’Neil is a complete novice. A complete dumb ass. He is completely unqualified and out of his depth. He has absolutely no right to be a premier league manager.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha was excellent at Fulham last season when playing as one of the front three with Jimenez central and could play off a number 9 too I think. He is simply not a central striker.
The first 25 mins today was just as I expected sadly and we were lucky to still be level. Then it was evident after 2 Luton players went down as if struck by lightning that they were playing to get one of ours sent off.
While Bellegarde was naive , there was no excessive force and Lockyer wouldn't let him get up. There was no stamp as implied by the Luton centre forward, just a get off me kick.
The penalty is simply another atrocious decision which somehow the other officials at VAR have vindicated.
We are in a real dogfight with relegation a definite possibility and seemingly a wish of the PGMOL.
Iv just emailed Howard Webb will share my response if any

If others want to email him please go ahead

E945DEDF-6093-43FD-BAF0-DA8CA8989236.jpeg

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lineker Keown and Murphy in unanimous agreement that the penalty was an awful decision, perhaps the worst they have seen and mystified why VAR didn’t get the ref to go to the monitor. Potentially we have been cheated out of 4 points so far .Disgraceful

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lineker Keown and Murphy in unanimous agreement that the penalty was an awful decision, perhaps the worst they have seen and mystified why VAR didn’t get the ref to go to the monitor. Potentially we have been cheated out of 4 points so far .Disgraceful
That potential 4 points would have seen us 10th this morning, which would have been slightly above par for what we would have expected from our opening fixtures.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched MOTD again this morning - the panel read about 5 reasons from the rule book why a penalty shouldn't be given and this ticked every box - its quite unbelievable - whats the point in VAR if the people running VAR cant get it right - ****ing ****ed off...
What the officials have been doing to us, especially after Lopetegui complained about them last season, is beginning to feel like abuse. The blade just keeps cutting in one direction. Wolves fans can do nothing but rage impotently as these decisions continue to materially cost us points, and nobody is ever held to account.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was awful. Like awful.

I know a Luton player or two, they've a few words about Wolves that can genuinely be summed up as we will be playing these lot next year.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was awful. Like awful.

I know a Luton player or two, they've a few words about Wolves that can genuinely be summed up as we will be playing these lot next year.
As in they think they will stay up, or they’ve already accepted they’re going down? Strange attitude for professional footballers to have 6 games in after their best performance of the season!

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As in they think they will stay up, or they’ve already accepted they’re going down? Strange attitude for professional footballers to have 6 games in after their best performance of the season!
Heh, the guy is a bit honest and realistic for his own good at times, chances are they'll make a fist of it, I'd say it was more a bit downtrodden because they really should have been out of sight before half time.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
There’s no dressing up how bad we were. But with how the story of the match went it’s probably a better result for us than for them.

Got nothing against Luton and especially nothing against Rob Edwards, but even a semi-decent premier league team would have absolutely taken us to pieces today.
In the context of who will finish higher out of Luton and Wolves it was a better result for us. But in the context of us trying to stay in the league, it was a poor result. I'd expect most of our relegation rivals to get 3 points from this fixture.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is, I agree , but we are in a dogfight, we are in amongst 6-7 sides who are fighting for their lives and given our squad, I dont think we will go down. The prem is ridiculously strong and we are not a top 10 side, that is not down to GON it's just the reality. Get a result against City ( without Rodri) next week and it's utopia!! I just cannot stand the knee jerk reactions and entitlement of the posters based on a result that was achieved by 10 men.....
Get a result against city lol. Are you having a laugh.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
I am currently away and was Fc Augsburg vs Mainz yesterday when we played. Augsburg got their first win since May. Anyway, I digress. I have seen the highlights and the two decisions that ultimately changed the game. For me they are both wrong. The sending off, naive but it's not a kick at all he is pushing him off as the Luton player has him trapped. Luton player has done the ref and Var. The penalty well we all know that was not a pen.

The main thing though taking these two results out is again. We were being over run. GON had no idea what to do. He game management and subs are awful. He is Dean Saunders in disguise. You cannot play Luton and get dominated which we did for the first 30.

The noise will be the two decisions but it's what happened apart from them which worries me.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny how Cunha looked brilliant v United on day one after a full pre-season, ain’t it?
Patrick Cutrone looked brilliant for one or two games too.

I think Cunha is a very good player (Cutrone not so much). But not a needle moving kind of player for a team in our position. We shouldn't be spending 50+ million for potential. They should be game changers. He's not there yet.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think Cunha is a very good player (Cutrone not so much). But not a needle moving kind of player for a team in our position. We shouldn't be spending 50+ million for potential. They should be game changers. He's not there yet.
That Cunha deal will haunt us for years

We best hope a Saudi team wants him and Guedes for 90m

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
I am currently away and was Fc Augsburg vs Mainz yesterday when we played. Augsburg got their first win since May. Anyway, I digress. I have seen the highlights and the two decisions that ultimately changed the game. For me they are both wrong. The sending off, naive but it's not a kick at all he is pushing him off as the Luton player has him trapped. Luton player has done the ref and Var. The penalty well we all know that was not a pen.

The main thing though taking these two results out is again. We were being over run. GON had no idea what to do. He game management and subs are awful. He is Dean Saunders in disguise. You cannot play Luton and get dominated which we did for the first 30.

The noise will be the two decisions but it's what happened apart from them which worries me.
To be fair I think he made adjustments after the first 25mins or so. We started to get control of the game and then the sending off happened.

When Rob Edwards says they dominated the whole game it does ignore the ten minutes before the sending off. Not much to celebrate for us I realise! But it would have been interesting to see how the second half panned out with 11 v 11.

T

TheConcourse

Rennes, Luton, United… I actually think we were at our best when Cunha played last season too.

Guess it’s just a coincidence that he’s contributed nothing under O’Neil.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rennes, Luton, United… I actually think we were at our best when Cunha played last season too.

Guess it’s just a coincidence that he’s contributed nothing under O’Neil.
The Leeds game we was going great until Jonny got sent off. Cunha did well but back then we had Adama now we rely on Neto

Oneil seems to have upset the likes of Silva, Cunha & Sasa

The Ipswich game will tell us a lot

Back
Top Bottom